Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,173 members, 7,807,556 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:15 PM

Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout (3480 Views)

Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone / 15 Most Ideal Smartphones To Lookout For In 2013 / Anti Theft Security Code Unlocker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout by brianromel(m): 10:27am On Jul 04, 2012
I have used a couple of mobile security apps for android from AVG to Netquins to Lookout. In all of them, there something i have come to notice.

The all hav anti thefts that works, but here is the catch, if you do a system wipe on your phone(settings>privacy> Erase all) the anti theft setting go way.

Meaning that if your phone is stolen and formated. There is nothing the above mentioned security suites can do to trace it, as their app needs to be installed to do thar.

This is where avast, changes things, their anti theft is installed as a system app, that is given device management previleges, and is hidden from all eyes except to the person who installed it.

Meaning it cant be deleted or wiped except by you.

I have done a phone wipe close to 4 times on my phone in the last six months due to low memory via installed apps. After each wipe, i still find avast anti theft running in the background in my task manager. And till date, any time i change my sim on my android phone, avast alerts me on the sim change even when when avast mobile security is not installed.

Check google play “Avast“ for details
Re: Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout by Mafia4life(m): 4:57pm On Jul 04, 2012
Yeah, I got it too. But i uninstalled it when i noticed it is conflicting with another SMS app's port. I had no choice than to use Netqin which also hav some system tools i need. (Firewall, Rom app manager,Backup,Network manager etc)
Re: Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout by brianromel(m): 6:48pm On Jul 04, 2012
Mine does have that problem with the sms gateway. What sms app are you using.
Avast has firewall manager, that works like droidwall.

For my backups, i use fileexpert( so far its the only file manage that allows me backup my google play installed apps and system apps as an apk file).

For network manager i use 3G watch dog.
Re: Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout by Mafia4life(m): 6:15pm On Jul 06, 2012
I use netqin because I was a symbian user. All my contact ar backed up to netqin server. So I should,nt be using another back up contact for the sake of avast anti theft. Having multiple app whereas netqin consist them all isnt too good.
Re: Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout by brianromel(m): 11:34pm On Jul 06, 2012
Mafia4life: I use netqin because I was a symbian user. All my contact ar backed up to netqin server. So I should,nt be using another back up contact for the sake of avast anti theft. Having multiple app whereas netqin consist them all isnt too good.

Install avast, activate you anti thief on root. once done, uninstall avast and format your phone. Now change you sim. You will get an alert to the number you registered on avast that your sim has been change and the map location plus distance between yohr registered sim and your phone that the sim was changed on.

Now install netquins, activate your anti thief, priemium user (N100). Now uninstall your netquins, format your phone and change sim. No message right.

The idea is, even if you phone gets stolen and flashed, you will still know where your phone is at.
Re: Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jul 07, 2012
Yeah!!! Avast is 100times better.hand others.... for instance it serves as an Antivirus,It has a Built in Firewall which enables.you restrict some application from.connecting.to.the.internet... thirdly It has a Call/sms restriction app.. why install netquin when u can get a 3in 1offer from Avast for FReeeeeeeeeeee !!!
Re: Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout by AndroBlaze: 10:02pm On Jul 08, 2012
Think one should point out one only gets the maximum from Avast when one is rooted.
Re: Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout by Mafia4life(m): 9:18pm On Jul 10, 2012
I may reinstall avast again. But thats when i change to rough area.
Re: Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout by sans59: 1:13am On Sep 06, 2012
You know any anti- thieft software that does the same thing like avg after being formatted or data erased for blackberry phones?
Thanks
Re: Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:48am On Sep 06, 2012
sans59: You know any anti- thieft software that does the same thing like avg after being formatted or data erased?
Thanks

:hint:

read the first post carefully cheesy wink
Re: Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout by sans59: 11:24am On Sep 06, 2012
4llerbuntu:

:hint:

read the first post carefully cheesy wink

I read it, my question was if there was an exact app for blackberry that is installed in d root
I admit I mistakenly omitted puting blackberry on my previous post
Re: Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:47am On Sep 06, 2012
u see yaself.

u now went to put the blackberry after, to make me look as if i dont know what im doing abi?

well as far as i know, given that i no longer own a blackberry, the answer is no.
but i may be wrong
Re: Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout by oseose2: 11:52am On Sep 06, 2012
4llerbuntu: u see yaself.

u now went to put the blackberry after, to make me look as if i dont know what im doing abi?

well as far as i know, given that i no longer own a blackberry, the answer is no.
but i may be wrong

You can't read?
You didn't see where I wrote I admit I omitted blackberry in my 1st post??
Re: Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:56am On Sep 06, 2012
ose_ose^2:

You can't read?
You didn't see where I wrote I admit I omitted blackberry in my 1st post??

grin grin grin
haha was the OP not sans59? you are ose ose na?

ooh i see, u must be a member of the #Garri Crusaders!!

MODERATORRRRSSSSSWSSSS!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin

guy lighten up joor, una too dey take NL seious
Re: Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout by Mafia4life(m): 7:52am On Sep 07, 2012
I am using avast now. I got a dual sim andriod fone. I doubt it recognize sim change. I inserted a sim. Nothing like SMS received.
Re: Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:33am On Sep 07, 2012
Mafia4life: I am using avast now. I got a dual sim andriod fone. I doubt it recognize sim change. I inserted a sim. Nothing like SMS received.

did you activate the anti theft and SPECIFY OTHER NUMBERS APART FROM THE ONE IN THE PHONE that will receive the text?

it woks i can confirm. must be u didnt set it up well, or u put ur same number as the number to receive text
Re: Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout by bily(m): 3:13pm On Sep 08, 2012
As far as anti theft goes, I give it to cerberus
Re: Avast Anti Theft For Android,better Than Netquins And Lookout by Mafia4life(m): 9:00pm On Sep 08, 2012
Now I know why it does not sms. Only SIM Slot 1 is recognized by the app. Well, anyone who steal my fone will definately use the first sim slot. hahahahaha

(1) (Reply)

New Lenovo S850 Discussion Thread / Gionee F103 With 3gb Ram / Latest MTN Awuf Offer For Free 100mb, 500mb, And 1GB Only On MTN Sim Cards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.