Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,627 members, 7,801,814 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? (6840 Views)

9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You / Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language / Hilarious "ISHAN" Adage And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by bittyend(m): 12:22pm On Jul 04, 2012
I noticed Edo/Benin/Urhobo/Ishan/Isoko like being called different tribes, but they're the same to me. I've got friends from all these tribes, and their languages/cultures are the same. It's high time we started grouping them together.
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by onila(f): 12:25pm On Jul 04, 2012
the urhobo's and isoko's are different from the benins n ishans

urhobo n isoko shld be one tribe

while benin, ishan shld be one ''

3 Likes

Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by emofine2(f): 1:00pm On Jul 04, 2012
undecided

The “same” or similar?
Portuguese is similar to Spanish why don’t we thus force a sole identity on them? Ah of course because they are pretty much nation states and Nigeria is a heterogeneous country thus the desire to summarize groups most especially minorities.
As regards to your question we all (as well as some other groups) are classified as "Edoid" hence the similarities in language and culture just like the Portuguese and Spanish for example. We are an “Edo” group collectively and some of our histories tie but we still hope to maintain our individuality not out of spite or malice for each other but for our own convenience and wish. I think outsiders should respect the identity we choose to wear not what they think or hope we should be. Notwithstanding we are still siblings but not siamese and we acknowledge each other.

5 Likes

Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by edogram1(m): 5:09pm On Jul 05, 2012
The fact that we speak diferent language and curture we can never be one. In edo state there are up to 30
tribes
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by odumchi: 6:15pm On Jul 05, 2012
There's no particular ethnic group that answers the term "Edo". "Edo" is a term that encompasses the Edoid speaking ethnic groups which are Ishan, Bini, Urhobo, Isoko, Etsako, and etc.

They all don't speak the same language, however they do fall under the same language group. Besides, (based on what I've seen) members of these groups are comfortable with indentifying themselves as is. For example, my co-mod Michelin always says she's Ishan while Physics (another member) identifies as Bini.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by aljharem(m): 6:40pm On Jul 05, 2012
emöfine2: undecided

The “same” or similar?
Portuguese is similar to Spanish why don’t we thus force a sole identity on them? Ah of course because they are pretty much nation states and Nigeria is a heterogeneous country thus the desire to summarize groups most especially minorities.
As regards to your question we all (as well as some other groups) are classified as "Edoid" hence the similarities in language and culture just like the Portuguese and Spanish for example. We are an “Edo” group collectively and some of our histories tie but we still hope to maintain our individuality not out of spite or malice for each other but for our own convenience and wish. I think outsiders should respect the identity we choose to wear not what they think or hope we should be. Notwithstanding we are still siblings but not siamese and we acknowledge each other.

My sister, this mentality is wrong.

Would every single tiny local government be called a tribe one day ?
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by emofine2(f): 8:52pm On Jul 05, 2012
alj harem:

No. What is wrong is for a stranger to decide what another’s identity should be. We are not “tiny local government”. We are not a “sub-group” of each other. We are particular ethnic groups although we share similarities (and the degrees of similarities vary from group to group). Collectively we may qualify as “Edo” group but we still have our individual identities and that is not wrong of us to acknowledge.

And I sincerely question the background research as to this topic if the OP believes that all those aforementioned groups actually have the “same language”.

Furthermore shouldn't such a decision be decided amongst these particular groups mentioned?

5 Likes

Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jul 05, 2012
emöfine2:

No. What is wrong is for a stranger to decide what another’s identity should be. We are not “tiny local government”. We are not a “sub-group” of each other. We are particular ethnic groups although we share similarities (and the degrees of similarities vary from group to group). Collectively we may qualify as “Edo” group but we still have our individual identities and that is not wrong of us to acknowledge.

And I sincerely question the background research as to this topic if the OP believes that all those aforementioned groups actually have the “same language”.

Furthermore shouldn't such a decision be decided amongst these particular groups mentioned?

If Yoruba people can do it, why can't you guys do the same?

I'm Ijebu, and we're also a big mini-tribe, but we still call ourselves Yoruba..

Bear in mind, we were never part of the Oyo empire. grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by tbaba1234: 10:02pm On Jul 05, 2012
You can't mix us with other tribes

The languages are not even close... I do not understand any of the other languages... There is all already unity amongst the sub-divisions of my tribe,(those i can actually understand parts of their languages)... Those whose languages can be said to be similar...

I think major tribes should mind their business, not everyone is a big tribe or have a large network...

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by Ybutterfly: 10:18pm On Jul 05, 2012
tbaba1234: You can't mix us with other tribes

The languages are not even close... I do not understand any of the other languages... There is all already unity amongst the sub-divisions of my tribe,(those i can actually understand parts of their languages)... Those whose languages can be said to be similar...

I think major tribes should mind their business, not everyone is a big tribe or have a large network...

^^^^^wHy NOOOT^^^^^^^gOO ^^^@nD ^^^^^^mIXX^^^^^^^
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by Obiagu1(m): 1:33am On Jul 06, 2012
emöfine2: undecided

The “same” or similar?

The Edoid groups could become an ethnic group if they follow Ijaw model. However, I don't understand any of the languages in the group so I can say if they are similar in anyway. It could be beneficial to the group in Nigerian context.
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by emofine2(f): 7:54am On Jul 06, 2012
Obiagu1:

The Edoid groups could become an ethnic group if they follow Ijaw model. However, I don't understand any of the languages in the group so I can say if they are similar in anyway. It could be beneficial to the group in Nigerian context.

What's the Ijaw model?
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by Biggysmalls919(m): 10:19pm On Jul 13, 2012
No we are not one. But we share some things in the languages. Do u know the people of yenagoa also speak like isoko, what of the degema ppl of rivers also have some similar words, and even engenni ppl in rivers they all are edoid groups but have decided to behave as if they dont even understand each other.
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by Autherga(m): 11:33pm On Nov 15, 2017
As an urhobo I think you're right I would approve of that, but calling urhobo to join a tribe and be under Oba of Benin will not work hence oba rules Benin, Urhobo remains republican so that's why urhobo is urhobo
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by Kopomoco886: 9:43am On Apr 19, 2019
Pay the original poster no mind. He is a racist white guy from probably USA. See his other post attached below. He is trying to cause drama here.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by KingWarri: 10:27am On Apr 19, 2019
aljharem:

mind you Urhobo has 8local govt. out of 25 in Delta state
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by KingWarri: 10:36am On Apr 19, 2019

If Yoruba people can do it, why can't you guys do the same?

I'm Ijebu, and we're also a big mini-tribe, but we still call ourselves Yoruba..

Bear in mind, we were never part of the Oyo empire. grin
There are so many history surrounding it. The urhobos, Isokos, Esan etc where treated as slaves after the first danesty of the Benin Empire this led to them escaping from Edo where they once lived..... story my mother told me
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by goalernestman: 2:43pm On Apr 19, 2019
KingWarri:

There are so many history surrounding it. The urhobos, Isokos, Esan etc where treated as slaves after the first danesty of the Benin Empire this led to them escaping from Edo where they once lived..... story my mother told me

Making it one tribe is the best way to take what rightfully belongs to us national share

dont you think we are larking from all goodies of nigeria than the rest trib because they take them as majority,

some igbos now in igbo state aunicha say they origin from benin but they are igbo now, what about us that all originated from one place why cant we be one, if we Unite we will have more power bro
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by KingWarri: 8:38am On Apr 20, 2019
goalernestman:

Making it one tribe is the best way to take what rightfully belongs to us national share

dont you think we are larking from all goodies of nigeria than the rest trib because they take them as majority,

some igbos now in igbo state aunicha say they origin from benin but they are igbo now, what about us that all originated from one place why cant we be one, if we Unite we will have more power bro
hmmm..... nice.... but loyalty and respect is lacking.... even among the Urhobos in Delta state.... you will hear some saying we are Okpe not Urhobo, We are Uvwie not Urhobo. Just because of little difference in dialect....
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by goalernestman: 7:10pm On Apr 20, 2019
KingWarri:

hmmm..... nice.... but loyalty and respect is lacking.... even among the Urhobos in Delta state.... you will hear some saying we are Okpe not Urhobo, We are Uvwie not Urhobo. Just because of little difference in dialect....

you think this same thing do not happend to yoruba or igbo, i gave example of ondo anitcha, am not saying one tribe to be loyal to the other, what am saying is that we should be called Edoid as a tribe because this is what we really was called before not the biafra thing and we also share ancestors together. even those that are not one before now claiming one for them to benefit something from Nigeria, example Igbo there was never a nation or united people known as igbo before but now they unite their self cant you see the changes.

united region
igbo Hausa yoruba

middle bet region delta edo south south, now compere the united one called one tribe with non united one who is gaining who is losing have you see any body from middle bet ruls nigeria before. europen only recgnise this people wa zo bia cant you see even niger delta is bigger than the igbo land but they are more recognize now than we
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by KingWarri: 7:50am On Apr 21, 2019
goalernestman:

you think this same thing do not happend to yoruba or igbo, i gave example of ondo anitcha, am not saying one tribe to be loyal to the other, what am saying is that we should be called Edoid as a tribe because this is what we really was called before not the biafra thing and we also share ancestors together. even those that are not one before now claiming one for them to benefit something from Nigeria, example Igbo there was never a nation or united people known as igbo before but now they unite their self cant you see the changes.

united region
igbo Hausa yoruba

middle bet region delta edo south south, now compere the united one called one tribe with non united one who is gaining who is losing have you see any body from middle bet ruls nigeria before. europen only recgnise this people wa zo bia cant you see even niger delta is bigger than the igbo land but they are more recognize now than we
at least we beginning to gain some recognition with the name "NIGER DELTA"
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by goalernestman: 1:18pm On Apr 21, 2019
KingWarri:

at least we beginning to gain some recognition with the name "NIGER DELTA"

niger delta is not a trib it a regional name just like middle bet we should be known as a tribe that we origin from or that we speak generally Edoid is ok
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by goalernestman: 10:51pm On Apr 21, 2019
goalernestman:

niger delta is not a trib it a regional name just like middle bet we should be known as a tribe that we origin from or that we speak generally Edoid is ok

this is not saying we are under benin just like no Yoruba is under Oyo most
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by aljharem(m): 8:51am On May 11, 2019
KingWarri:

mind you Urhobo has 8local govt. out of 25 in Delta state

I know. I am talking of the cass of isoko and urhobo. Isoko is under urhobo
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by fero007: 3:31pm On May 11, 2019
aljharem:

Isoko is NOT under urhobo, people sometimes confuse them for urhobo because urhobo is more popular, and they may do things 2heda socially n culturally once in a while but isoko is in no way UNDER urhobo

To me if any tribes can form one tribe it's isoko n urhobo, I don't know much bout bini/esan relationship, but I know all my years growing up in warri dat we NEVER ONCE heard that urhobo came from edo, neither did we notice any big similarity between us and the edo tribes( if you can point out any, please do) in fact the urhobos seem more culturally related to d izons, tsekiris n ukwanis(in my opinion) because urhobos n edos don't understand each others languages, don't eat same food, don't dress same way, don't ve d same festivals or anything, don't even ve d same stereotypes so I wonder where OP n others are seeing the "similarities in cultire" from

not trying to create divide between edos n deltans, we are all one nigeria, infact one human race, it's just dat as someone said earlier major tribes ve dis annoying habit of lumping minor tribes 2geda, n it's makes des tribes feel like their cultural uniqueness is insignificant

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by KingWarri: 1:07pm On May 12, 2019
aljharem:

hmm..... na table u dey shake so... grin
Isoko people will not agree oh...
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by Rossikk(m): 7:53pm On May 12, 2019
Sorry to digress, but why do you people use the term ''tribe'', to describe ethnic groups numbering millions of people?

Especially the largest groups, like say the Yoruba. Numbering over 50 million, and you call them a ''tribe''.

That is ludicrous.

I really don't know the point of your attending school if you come out and still blindly term huge nationalities and ethnic groups, ''tribes''.

I mean, just because the colonialists wanted to diminish you doesn't mean you assist them..
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by Jameseddi1: 1:58pm On Feb 26, 2022
fero007:

Isoko is NOT under urhobo, people sometimes confuse them for urhobo because urhobo is more popular, and they may do things 2heda socially n culturally once in a while but isoko is in no way UNDER urhobo

To me if any tribes can form one tribe it's isoko n urhobo, I don't know much bout bini/esan relationship, but I know all my years growing up in warri dat we NEVER ONCE heard that urhobo came from edo, neither did we notice any big similarity between us and the edo tribes( if you can point out any, please do) in fact the urhobos seem more culturally related to d izons, tsekiris n ukwanis(in my opinion) because urhobos n edos don't understand each others languages, don't eat same food, don't dress same way, don't ve d same festivals or anything, don't even ve d same stereotypes so I wonder where OP n others are seeing the "similarities in cultire" from

not trying to create divide between edos n deltans, we are all one nigeria, infact one human race, it's just dat as someone said earlier major tribes ve dis annoying habit of lumping minor tribes 2geda, n it's makes des tribes feel like their cultural uniqueness is insignificant

Is Uhobo and Isoko not speaking Edoid? What this one even saying?

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by AreaFada2: 4:47am On Mar 06, 2022
KingWarri:

Can you tell us this story? Is your mum a historian? How authentic is that story that Urhobos, Esans and others were runaway slaves? Did she confirm it from any source? When did it happen in history? I heard many stories about many tribes growing up but my experience and common sense as an adult allow me to know not to even publicly utter such.

People migrated from Benin for various reasons like humans have done since eternity to settle in new lands.
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by Omonayanoranmiy: 4:24am On Jun 14, 2022
It's a lie no one was treated as slaves. What really happened is that Chief Oliha betrayed the Ogiso by bringing in a foreigner Oraamiyan this led to anger in the land and many migration as old Benin was based on equality. Today these are very distinct tribes with different culture. Urhobo esan others only recognize Benin as ancestral home but have their own kings who is not related to the oba of Benin who is a Yoruba man.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by AreaFada2: 8:31pm On Jun 14, 2022
Omonayanoranmiy:
It's a lie no one was treated as slaves. What really happened is that [b]Chief Oliha betrayed the Ogiso [/b]by bringing in a foreigner Oraamiyan this led to anger in the land and many migration as old Benin was based on equality. Today these are very distinct tribes with different culture. Urhobo esan others only recognize Benin as ancestral home but have their own kings who is not related to the oba of Benin who is a Yoruba man.

You don't understand Benin history well enough. The last Ogiso called Owodo had no heirs except Prince Ekaladerhan, his son, that he had ordered to be killed. Of course it was due to conspiracy of the Prince's stepmother, Queen Esagho. The Prince was luckily spared by executioners and found his way to Ile-Ife. He later managed to displace original rulers of Ife and became king Izoduwa/Imadoduwa/Oduduwa.

Because Ogiso position and those of 5 elders of the land: Oliha, Edohen, Ero, Ezomo and Eholo n'Ire titles had become hereditary and the elders' ancestors had sworn at Idu shrine to ensure that only a prince becomes the King and the King must ensure their son also inherit the elders' position, the elders cum "Chiefs" had to fulfil that ancestral oath by seeking out any surviving son or blood male kin of the king. Otherwise inheritance of their titles by their sons was in jeopardy.

Imadoduwa was already old by the time the chiefs led by Oliha managed to trace him to Ife. Also, the prince had sworn an oath with the executioners never to set foot on Benin Land again in his life as a condition for the executioners to spare his life. The executioners where effectively committing treason by not carrying out the kings instruction to the letter. In any case, when Oliha reached Ife, the executioners must have long be dead, so reversing the oath was impossible. Oduduwa must also have been quite comfortable in Ife to return to Benin. Oduduwa entered Ife from the East, Benin/Igodo is East of Ife. Not a proof but quite interesting.

Betrayal by Oliha does not arise at all. In Benin history, Urhobo people are linked with Udo town and Aka, a descendant of Idu and possibly also Oba Ogbeka of Benin. Led by Oliha, the 5 elders remain 5 of the 7 King crowners grade of Benin nobility with their own palaces, senior nobility of the land. They are at times incorrectly called kingmakers. They are town/quarter chiefs and not really palace chiefs of the Oba. They are also not dukes as dukes are basically royals or descendants of previous kings, with few exceptions (who are not royal dukes). Dukes/Enogie are provincial governors.
Re: Why Can't Edo/benin/urhobo/ishan/isoko Become One Tribe? by ahnie: 8:05am On Jun 17, 2022
AreaFada2:

You don't understand Benin history well enough. The last Ogiso called Owodo had no heirs except Prince Ekaladerhan, his son, that he had ordered to be killed. Of course it was due to conspiracy of the Prince's stepmother, Queen Esagho. The Prince was luckily spared by executioners and found his way to Ile-Ife. He later managed to displace original rulers of Ife and became king Izoduwa/Imadoduwa/Oduduwa.

Because Ogiso position and those of 5 elders of the land: Oliha, Edohen, Ero, Ezomo and Eholo n'Ire titles had become hereditary and the elders' ancestors had sworn at Idu shrine to ensure that only a prince becomes the King and the King must ensure their son also inherit the elders' position, the elders cum "Chiefs" had to fulfil that ancestral oath by seeking out any surviving son or blood male kin of the king. Otherwise inheritance of their titles by their sons was in jeopardy.

Imadoduwa was was already old by the time by the time the chiefs led by Oliha managed to trace him to Ife. Also, the prince had sworn an oath with the executioners never to set foot on Benin Land again in his life as a condition for the executioners to spare his life. The executioners where effectively committing treason by not carrying out the kings instruction to the letter. In any case, when Oliha reached Ife, the executioners must have long be dead, so reversing the oath was impossible. Oduduwa must also have been quite comfortable in Ife to return to Benin. Oduduwa entered Ife from the East, Benin/Igodo is East of Ife. Not a proof but quite interesting.

Betrayal by Oliha does not arise at all. In Benin history, Urhobo people are linked with Udo town and Aka, a descendant of Idu and possibly also Oba Ogbeka of Benin. Led by Oliha, the 5 elders remain 5 of the 7 King crowners grade of Benin nobility with their own palaces, senior nobility of the land. They are at times incorrectly called kingmakers. They are town/quarter chiefs and not really palace chiefs of the Oba. They are also not dukes as dukes are basically royals or descendants of previous kings, with few exceptions (who are not royal dukes). Dukes/Enogie are provincial governors.
I find your piece very interesting.
Good morning.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Official Royal Vs Kidstrangle Stop Denying Admixture You PsychoticNut Thread / Nairalandigbo - Teach Me Igbo Language. Come In If You Want To Learn. / Onitsha Belongs To Benin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.