Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,927 members, 7,803,016 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo (14177 Views)

Festus Keyamo Tweet On Fuel Scarcity During GEJ's Administration / The Death Of Prince Abubakar Audu And The Legal Implications By Festus Keyamo / Jonathan Lacks Capacity To Secure Nigeria, Fight Corruption - Festus Keyamo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by muami(m): 4:12pm On Jul 04, 2012
From the various reports, Press releases and statements made by all the actors involved in this saga, certain undisputable facts have emerged:

(1) There was definite communication between Farouk Lawan and Femi Otedola (both by telephone and face-to-face) in respect of the offer and acceptance of bribe money concerning the investigation by the House Committee probing the fuel subsidy scam. The question of who initiated a relationship is completely irrelevant when determining the guilt or otherwise of the giver and taker of bribe money.

(2) The sum of $620,000 dollars out of a grand total of $3million price tag actually exchanged hands between Otedola and Lawan. No party is disputing this fact.

(3) Otedola involved the State Security Service (SSS) and the scene was recorded when the money was handed over to Lawan to prove that he was pressured to part with the money.

(4) Even though Lawan claims he collected the money to expose Otedola, he (Lawan) did not involve any law-enforcement agency when collecting the money. QUESTION: So how on earth did Farouk Lawan ever hope to later convince anyone that those dollars came from Otedola when Otedola’s name is not written on the dollars? How did he ever hope to “expose” him?

(5) A few hours after collecting the dollars, Farouk Lawan stood up on the floor of the House and, instead of exposing Otedola, he was actually shielding him by convincing his colleagues to remove Otedola’s company name from the list of indicted companies in the Report. That was the point that Lawan was expected to tell the world that he just collected bribe money, and like has been done in the past, spill the money on the floor of the House. He did not do so.

(6) It was not until the scandal broke out in the Press that Farouk Lawan did something. He first denied ever collecting money and said he did not go to Otedola’s house and that if there is any such video, it must have been doctored.

(7) Less than 24 hours later, Lawan sang a different tune. He now said he actually went to Otedola’s house to collect money, but it was to “expose” Otedola.

(cool The only “expose” Lawan claimed he did was to write a hand-written note to Honourable Adams Jagaba, Chairman House Committee on Narcotics and Financial Crimes, to purport to hand over the bribe money to him. Honourable Jagaba has since denied that this ever happened. QUESTION: WHY DID FAROUK LAWAN NOT APPROACH ONE SINGLE LAW-ENFORCEMENT AGENCY WITH THE BRIBE MONEY?

(9) The bribe money that is the all-important evidence to “nail” Otedola cannot be produced by Farouk Lawan now despite repeated demands by the Police. QUESTION: How come Farouk Lawan treated his all-important evidence with so much levity that he did not make Honourable Jagaba to acknowledge receiving the dollars in writing when he purportedly handed it over to him?

(10) On the other hand, it has since emerged that Femi Otedola kept all his audio and video evidence intact and has decided to release them piecemeal to the public.

From the above sequence of undisputed facts, it is only a hired goon, mischief maker, or a complete fool that will not easily come to a definite conclusion in this on-going disgraceful and shameful episode rocking the National Assembly: Farouk Lawan collected bribe purportedly on behalf of his Committee to doctor his report but somewhere along the line the operation, like most robbery incidents, went terribly wrong. All the drama playing out now cuts the picture of a destroyed, disgraced and thoroughly embarrassed Farouk Lawan clinging on so desperately to anything to save his finished image and political career.

I use the phrase “National Assembly” advisedly because, even though it had sought to distance itself from the whole episode, it is undisputable that the bribe was solicited for and was offered to a Committee of the National Assembly which was doing an assignment of the National Assembly. Farouk Lawan only collected the money on behalf of the said Committee. Whether he gave to other members is another matter altogether.

However, the taped conversations between Otedola and Lawan only confirm what both parties actually agree took place: that they negotiated payment of bribe money several times by telephone. The only point of divergence is that both claim the negotiations were sting operations on the other. But while Otedola has evidence of his sting, Farouk Lawan has none.

By denying his obvious voice on those tapes, Farouk Lawan has made another u-turn: he is giving the impression that he never spoke to Otedola on telephone whereas he had earlier confirmed that there were several phone conversations between them and that he has call-logs to prove this. So, question to Lawan: during those phone conversations, what were they talking about? Was it about girlfriends or politics?

I thought the only honourable thing Lawan should have done is not to deny the obvious, but to say those taped conversations were part of his plan to “play along” and catch Otedola red-handed. So Farouk Lawan needs to now come up with his own version of those conversations between himself and Otedola because Otedola has provided to the public his own version.

In any case, the endless search for dollars or the debate about voice on those tapes are most unnecessary. The law says what has been admitted needs no further proof. In other words, what the recovery of the dollars and the voices on the tape seek to establish has since been established by the confessional statement of Farouk Lawan himself; i.e. he had several discussions with Otedola on phone over the bribe money and he actually collected it.

I am aware that many Nigerians are not happy with the way Femi Otedola hobnobs with all governments in power (and perhaps gets undeserved business concessions by so doing), but in this instant case, whether you like Femi Otedola or hate him, by reporting the matter to the SSS (the law says the SSS has all the powers of Police Officers too) and going ahead to record the transaction between him and Lawan, Otedola did all that a responsible citizen under the circumstances should do. Whether the sting was thorough or not is no longer his business. By the way, the purpose of arresting someone whilst collecting bribe is to establish the fact that the suspect actually collected it. But the video has already established that fact.

Farouk Lawan has confessed to that fact. And in any case, no Nigerian would have believed the SSS or the Police if Farouk Lawan was arrested for any reason a few hours to the presentation of that report. If, for instance, Farouk had claimed he was forced at gun point to go to Otedola’s house and then was arrested there, Nigerians would have believed him. In addition, Farouk Lawan would not have had the opportunity to perform the act for which the bribe was collected on the floor of the House the next day. But as it is, the

SSS allowed him to roast in his own stew. In my view, the SSS did perfectly well in this case.

The bare-faced denial by Farouk Lawan of his voice on those tapes, and the denial of his complicity despite these overwhelming evidence, gives the clear impression that we are dealing with a hardened, unrepentant crook who is like a thief caught with his hand in the cashbox, but still claims he was only checking the color of the money.

In Japan, such persons like Farouk Lawan would have committed what they call “hara-kiri”.

In America and Europe, he would have resigned immediately from public office in shame and begged for forgiveness.

Unfortunately, here in Nigeria and aided by dubious hired goons, he continues to deny the obvious. What a shame!

As for the House Committee on Ethics and Privileges, their so-called investigation of the scam is nothing but a laughable sham, a diversionary and disgraceful enterprise with a pre-determined end, an unconstitutional and illegal exercise and Nigerians must ignore it.

I issue this statement out of a deep love for my country over and above personal relationships. If we do not say things as we see them truthfully and honestly at such times when patriots are required to stand up and be counted because of friendships, personal or professional benefits, then we should not complain if our country and its critical institutions continue to collapse. In fact, after the oil subsidy probe and before the presentation of the Report, I was with one of the Committee members in London when Farouk Lawan called and the phone was handed over to me. We chatted a few minutes on the phone during which time I encouraged him to do a thorough job and thanked him for his efforts so far. But alas! He has let everybody and himself down.

Farouk Lawan must stop this dance of shame and save that House of whatever is left of its credibility by resigning from office immediately and face his criminal trial squarely. It is, indeed, himself and his hired goons that are turning this episode into a theatre of the absurd, and not the other way round.
Thank you.

FESTUS KEYAMO, ESQ.
http://saharareporters.com/article/otedolalawan-bribery-saga-and-their-recorded-conversations-festus-keyamo#comment-form

28 Likes

Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by muami(m): 4:13pm On Jul 04, 2012
I agree, completely, entirely with Festus. I have nothing to add
Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by okunboy: 4:40pm On Jul 04, 2012
Thank you Keyamo! It is absurd if anyone is trying to defend that crook!

1 Like

Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by muami(m): 4:43pm On Jul 04, 2012
Meanwhile. According to THISDAY, the 'TJ' mentioned in the first taped conversation between Lawan and Otedola is Mr. Tijani Yusuf, one of Lawan's personal aides since 1999.

3 Likes

Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by papagiddy(m): 4:50pm On Jul 04, 2012
The guy is brilliant!...i mean keyamo not farouk o!

1 Like

Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by papagiddy(m): 4:52pm On Jul 04, 2012
can someone goggle mr tijani yusuf and get his phones numbers and get him on phone for?

2 Likes

Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by Tyche(m): 8:01pm On Jul 04, 2012
Good analysis Keyamo, what more can one say?

1 Like

Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by Pk001(m): 9:01pm On Jul 04, 2012
This is the best analysis so far. I never use to like Keyamo, but for this honest analysis, I now see him from another angle.

This is a true reflection of what is actually happening, EFCC,ICPC, NPF please Do your job, Nigerian are watching.c
Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by brabus(m): 9:05pm On Jul 04, 2012
I said this earlier on another thread and people still didn't get it. Thank you Keyamo for hitting the head on the nail. Oh sorry, hitting the nail on the headsmiley smiley Either way, make something just hit something jawe!

brabus:

Thinking mode activated. Wondering what
I'm think?

How do I convince a fool? But I think all the
answer to your questions are already
provided by you. If only you can think
straight.

Let me educate you once again.

1. The bribe was paid for a reason which
Otedola must wait for its full implementation
before the crackdown. It wasn't enough for
Otedola to claim Farouk demanded bribe
from him. A sane person would ask 'For
what?'
And the answer would be to exonerate
Otedola, to delist him which your silly man
did after receiving the bribe. Had it been
that Otedola paid Farouk after removing
Zenon Oil from the list, the case would have
been different.

So, ask yourself? Will Farouk had requested
that Zenon Oil (Otedola's company) be
removed from the list if there was a
crackdown?
Will you have believed the story if Farouk
hadn't request on the floor of the House that
Zenon Oil be removed from the list? Why?
Was that also scripted or doctored?

2. You think $600k is a lot of money. That's
just NGN98m »» about 1000 bails of N1000
notes. If he's paying in $100 bills, that's just
60 bails.
You think that's too much for SSS to provide.
You see why its so hard to convince you.

3. The case is between Otedola and Farouk
and not SSS vs Farouk. That explains the
reason why Otedola simply decided to deal
with the culprit and not the committee.

4. You ask why Otedola feel threatened if he
wasn't guilty. Hmm!
I know your type, you can also ask a
kidnapped person why he decided to pay a
ransom when he knew he wasn't guilty. You
definitely need to research more on what a
Sting Operation is.

Bros, I'm done with you. You sound like
Facrook himself
Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by gaddafe(m): 9:09pm On Jul 04, 2012
The house trying to hold closed door meeting with Otedola clearly indicates that they are hiding something. Except they think Nigerians are fools, this will further diminish and rubbish the miniscule respect of the House.

3 Likes

Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by Beaf: 9:24pm On Jul 04, 2012
The bare-faced denial by Farouk Lawan of his voice on those tapes, and the denial of his complicity despite these overwhelming evidence, gives the clear impression that we are dealing with a hardened, unrepentant crook who is like a thief caught with his hand in the cashbox, but still claims he was only checking the color of the money.

In Japan, such persons like Farouk Lawan would have committed what they call “hara-kiri”.

In America and Europe, he would have resigned immediately from public office in shame and begged for forgiveness.

Unfortunately, here in Nigeria and aided by dubious hired goons, he continues to deny the obvious. What a shame!

As for the House Committee on Ethics and Privileges, their so-called investigation of the scam is nothing but a laughable sham, a diversionary and disgraceful enterprise with a pre-determined end, an unconstitutional and illegal exercise and Nigerians must ignore it.

That is why we are laughing and why Otedola too, went to the House to laugh at the Reps.

We have a huge tragedy that is playing out like a comedy. Lets call it, "the comedy of Farouk."

1 Like

Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by Super1759: 9:48pm On Jul 04, 2012
Good!! So what is efcc and sss waiting ² arrest this man. All the evidences are clear 2 every one even a kindergaten. If nothing is done soon..wahala go deh ooo
Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by chuks49(m): 10:04pm On Jul 04, 2012
Common criminals as honourable members.
Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jul 04, 2012
Ђδω on earth will a single man represent a full federal constituency for †ЂΞ past 12year? Are they so daft I̶̲̥̅̊n ∂α† part? Dis is anoda issue ∂α† makes farouk even more guilty of corruption! Jesus!
Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by onthefence: 8:30am On Jul 05, 2012
Beaf:

That is why we are laughing and why Otedola too, went to the House to laugh at the Reps.

We have a huge tragedy that is playing out like a comedy. Lets call it, "the comedy of Farouk."

Well, well, well. Look who is commenting on a piece by Sahara Reporters. Times are indeed changing.

6 Likes

Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by ebamma(m): 8:35am On Jul 05, 2012
who cares when we already know how this movie will end.
Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by Bawss1(m): 8:41am On Jul 05, 2012
How the heck did the OP beat the spambot? smiley

1 Like

Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by Biodup: 8:46am On Jul 05, 2012
This is a law of karma, this mr disintegrity called facrook champion d removal of Etteh. Faruku lawani RIP! Thk God u neva has d opportunity 2 become d gov of prestigeous kano state.
Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by IYANGBALI: 8:47am On Jul 05, 2012
Pk001: This is the best analysis so far. I never use to like Keyamo, but for this honest analysis, I now see him from another angle.

This is a true reflection of what is actually happening, EFCC,ICPC, NPF please Do your job, Nigerian are watching.c
my broda nothing go happen for this matter,this asss hole cald farouk would be given soft landing by the shameless crooks in the house.
Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by gbogboti: 8:47am On Jul 05, 2012
Jenams: Ђδω on earth will a single man represent a full federal constituency for †ЂΞ past 12year? Are they so daft I̶̲̥̅̊n ∂α† part? Dis is anoda issue ∂α† makes farouk even more guilty of corruption! Jesus!

My brother, I tire o. One man representing a whole federal constituency for 12years. Ikorodu people of Lagos needs to be asked the same question o. Abike Dabiri in House of Reps for 12years. Guys you need to see Ikorodu federal constituency. The federal road linking sagamu is worst than a death-trap. Yet she keeps louding her mouth on diasporal affairs. Rubbish! Farouk, you need to be beheaded. Shikena!
Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by Beaf: 8:47am On Jul 05, 2012
onthefence:

Well, well, well. Look who is commenting on a piece by Sahara Reporters. Times are indeed changing.

Fail.

The article is carried by several newspapers. It was not written by Sahara Reporters. Eg:
http://www.elombah.com/index.php/special-reports/11795-farouk-stop-that-dance-of-shame-now-by-festus-keyamo

Please, can you clowns stop reducing this forum to a place where you constantly express foolisness? There is a topic to attend to, deal with it, and simply leave me out of your NURTW style crap; I'm above you and above such. Thank you.

6 Likes

Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by alaoeri: 8:47am On Jul 05, 2012
Jenams: Ђδω on earth will a single man represent a full federal constituency for †ЂΞ past 12year? Are they so daft I̶̲̥̅̊n ∂α† part? Dis is anoda issue ∂α† makes farouk even more guilty of corruption! Jesus!
Then what 'll u say about jubril aminu, david mark and abdul ningi.
Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by Marramlast(m): 8:47am On Jul 05, 2012
Nice 1 but all of them are guilty cos in any sting operation, as he collects the money arrest suppose to be done at the point as he collects the money but in this 1 the whole matter was reveal after almost 2weeks
Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by ODB1: 8:49am On Jul 05, 2012
The house saw it appropriate to hold public hearings during the Fuel Subsidy probe. The same house saw it convenient to hold closed sessions when it came down to Farouk and Bankole.

Shameless, f00lish opportunists.

1 Like

Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by brownlord: 8:55am On Jul 05, 2012

my broder, if you ask me, na who i go ask?

3 Likes

Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by Xolokristo(m): 8:55am On Jul 05, 2012
Excellent analysis by Bar. Keyamo
Pls all those supporting Facrook should come and tell us if there are any lapses to this piece!
Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by Nobody: 8:55am On Jul 05, 2012
Thank you so much Keyamu.
Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by Ournaija: 8:56am On Jul 05, 2012
We have shameless lawmakers. Why are they playing Baba Sala making the whole country look like a comedyland operated by fools?
Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by ifihearam: 8:56am On Jul 05, 2012
I agree with festus here
Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by gbadexy(m): 8:58am On Jul 05, 2012
This set of legislators are the worst set,(7th?)
They have completely destroyed what little respect and trust previous legislative sets built. Imagine the real show of shame by the committee on ethics and privileges,the chairman was asking a daft question that should have been directed at him back, no wonder otedola was laughing at the type of legislators we have.
I presume keyamo was referring to hired lawyers when he said hired goons. (Lawyers=goons?)
Anyways, he too would have done the same if employed by farouk, except he turned him down. But on the whole, keyamo gave a brilliant summary of the drama.
Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by Beaf: 8:59am On Jul 05, 2012

I keep saying that the demand for accountability should start from the grassroots, get any politician close to you thats not delivering and burn their phucking house down.
Re: Farouk V Otedola - By Festus Keyamo by SpiritofOkija(m): 8:59am On Jul 05, 2012
I cant believe that all the "FAROUK LOVE" died just like that....

Otedollar toh badt gan!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pictures Of Flood In Ndokwa-East LGA In Delta State / No Court Can Sack AIG Mbu, Judge Rules / I Have Built 1000 Projects In Five Years- Okorocha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.