Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,799 members, 7,798,700 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing (9443 Views)

Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market / Dangote’s Suit Against Ibeto Is Anti-competitive – FG / Dangote In Competition Trouble As Ibeto Cement Reopens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by mukina2: 10:13am On Jul 05, 2012
Justice Binta Nyako of a Federal High Court in Lagos, on Tuesday, decided to conduct a single hearing in a suit filed by billionaire businessman, Aliko Dangote, through his company, Dangote Cement Plc, against one of his keen competitors in the cement manufacturing sector, Ibeto Cement Company.

In the suit, Dangote is seeking the revocation of an alleged import waiver granted Ibeto Cement Company.

Dangote equally wants the court to compel Ibeto and its subsidiaries to pay to the federal government some unpaid import duties estimated at billions of naira.

The judge, in a ruling on Tuesday, opted for a simultaneous hearing of Dangote’s originating motion and the defendants’ preliminary objection in order to save time.

She maintained her position to take all pending applications at once despite argument to the contrary by the two lead defence lawyers, Onyechi Ikpeazu and Fabian Ajogwu.

Dangote claimed that Ibeto, acting in concert with its subsidiaries, IBG and Derima Ventures, allegedly suppressed facts and acted fraudulently in obtaining a consent judgment against the federal government in consolidated suits marked FHC/ABJ/CS/400/2006 and FHC/ABJ/CS/496/2010.

In the consent judgment, the court ordered the government to pay Ibeto about N7.8 billion for the unjustified closure of its plant between 2005 and 2007 and set aside a 2010 presidential directive raising import duties and abolishing the import waiver granted Ibeto between 2007 to 2017.

http://www.dailytimes.com.ng/article/dangote-vs-ibeto-judge-wants-single-hearing
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by Ibadiarann(m): 10:24am On Jul 05, 2012
So What? I beg next story.
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by miteolu(m): 10:24am On Jul 05, 2012
Dangote wants to monopolize Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by greall1: 10:28am On Jul 05, 2012
Drama.
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by Nobody: 10:30am On Jul 05, 2012
wrong thread!
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by Korrection(m): 10:31am On Jul 05, 2012
I dont think you have plans of building a house ...i bet you didnt read this thread before commenting..Niaraland is now filled with kids....when someone monopolizes business in a country it becomes very hard for anyone to afford the commodity.....if there are competitions just like in the telecommunications sector...things will be affordable..NO TALK SAY E NO CONCERN YOU....GROW UP
Ibadiarann: So What? I beg next story.

8 Likes

Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by CHIDIEJIOGU: 10:34am On Jul 05, 2012
This dangote person is a serious tribalist.
what does he against the igbo people? He not only succeeded in collecting the licence of my kinsman but he has made sure that no cement plant will function in the East.This hausa kunta kunte that made money thro dinning with the generals will meet there doom one of these days.

3 Likes

Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by nikejoy: 10:36am On Jul 05, 2012
[color=#550000][/color] cheesy cheesy ok ok ok. Wats our own problem wt dis my fwend, must u post everytin u see?dis stori no concine us at all,prson wey don chop gov tired.i beg make na find anoda stori put for here.no b say i dey vex bt dis country na season film wt yeyd drama.
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by Ozegbe(m): 10:39am On Jul 05, 2012
what we need is more cement company, more telecom company, infact more of every single company in this country. Am sure after ibeto it will be BUA. #Godiswatchingallofus
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by ZUBY77(m): 10:39am On Jul 05, 2012
Dangote is such a wicked business man. Do you know how much a ag of cement cost in the east? He is following the trend of marginalizing igbos since after the war. Your time is up dangote. No one can stop a moving train
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by Ibadiarann(m): 10:43am On Jul 05, 2012
Korrection: I dont think you have plans of building a house ...i bet you didnt read this thread before commenting..Niaraland is now filled with kids....when someone monopolizes business in a country it becomes very hard for anyone to afford the commodity.....if there are competitions just like in the telecommunications sector...things will be affordable..NO TALK SAY E NO CONCERN YOU....GROW UP

And your comment has changed the situation. You are a real grown up.
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by jpphilips(m): 10:52am On Jul 05, 2012
Monopoly at its best, Nigerians will never learn
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by conyema12(m): 10:52am On Jul 05, 2012
Why is dangote scared of competition? After monopolizing the cement industry to the detriment of Nigerians.

Why has the prices of cement not reduced as promised by our government?

Why is dangote instituting a case againt another competitor concerning import waiver even though its is supposed to be the work of the FG.

The nefarious action metted out by Dangoted via OBJ to Ibeto to ban him in 2005 resulted to colosal loss in business even after importing millions of tons of cement. I like the resilience shown by Ibeto and he was not detterred. This court case is just a minor issue for him to handle.

4 Likes

Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by ideaz: 11:00am On Jul 05, 2012
Why should Dangote be the one fighting FGN fight?

3 Likes

Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by Korrection(m): 11:00am On Jul 05, 2012
you talk of nothing...we aint here for bashing...read your first comment...read it again...did it make a any sense?if you dont have anything to say...just read and move on...ok..not trying to spank you kid
Ibadiarann:

And your comment has changed the situation. You are a real grown up.
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by ACM10: 11:01am On Jul 05, 2012
Dangote thrives on government patronage and when little space is opened to his competitor, his frustration grows.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by walcolm(m): 11:02am On Jul 05, 2012
CHIDI EJIOGU: This dangote person is a serious tribalist.
what does he against the igbo people? He not only succeeded in collecting the licence of my kinsman but he has made sure that no cement plant will function in the East.This hausa kunta kunte that made money thro dinning with the generals will meet there doom one of these days.

what has ibeto being an ibo man got to do with everything...all you pathetic tribalist who make everything about tribes on this forum sef angry

1 Like

Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by ACM10: 11:03am On Jul 05, 2012
ideaz: Why should Dangote be the one fighting FGN fight?

Cos he wants to be the only Nigerian on Forbes.

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by Nobody: 11:04am On Jul 05, 2012
I dont get it, is Dangote representing the Federal Government, why is he suing for Federal Government's interest. Methink its finding ways to fight a competitor without reasons directly concerning him. Monopoly isnt good.
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by ifechukwue1: 11:05am On Jul 05, 2012
dangote is a greedy extremist minded hausa man imagine. after conniving with obj. against ibeto 4 abt 4yrs dis devilish malam is nt tired of conniving May God purnish him n dat his business..,.i'll neva buy anymore of dangote goods again he's a bastard

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by ACM10: 11:06am On Jul 05, 2012
conyema12: Why is dangote scared of competition? After monopolizing the cement industry to the detriment of Nigerians.

Why has the prices of cement not reduced as promised by our government?

Why is dangote instituting a case againt another competitor concerning import waiver even though its is supposed to be the work of the FG.

The nefarious action metted out by Dangoted via OBJ to Ibeto to ban him in 2005 resulted to colosal loss in business even after importing millions of tons of cement. I like the resilience shown by Ibeto and he was not detterred. This court case is just a minor issue for him to handle.

Dangote is simply afraid of competition and gets tetchy whenever he sees one.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by searchcorp(m): 11:06am On Jul 05, 2012
Seems like all the billionaires are now court friendly. First, Otedolla, now Dangote, I guess Adenuga will be next.
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by ortopazz(m): 11:08am On Jul 05, 2012
It is simple he is afraid of competition, abegi, cement is now 25oo, dwn here in the souuh south, to build a house to live in is now a problem!

Something that used to cost abou 1ooo to !5oo is now increasing, should there competition as rightly put by korrection, in the telecommunication biz, for e.g sim cards that once sold for 25,ooo Naira, are now what they (Mtn, Glo, Zain, Etisalat, visawateva) ard begging to sell at 2oo n Ioo naira,, I hope he dangote loses the case.
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by waja(m): 11:12am On Jul 05, 2012
Dangote is afraid of competition. Why did he not complain of UNICEM? He's afraid of Igbo man because Biz clear them well well.
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by ortopazz(m): 11:13am On Jul 05, 2012
Billyonaire: I dont get it, is Dangote representing the Federal Government, why is he suing for Federal Government's interest. Methink its finding ways to fight a competitor without reasons directly concerning him. Monopoly isnt good.

he has been repping the constituency for a while now, and just as farouk doesnt see any need for him to back down for others.
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by ACM10: 11:14am On Jul 05, 2012
ifechukwue1: dangote is a greedy extremist minded hausa man imagine. after conniving with obj. against ibeto 4 abt 4yrs dis devilish malam is nt tired of conniving May God purnish him n dat his business..,.i'll neva buy anymore of dangote goods again he's a bastard

Dangote cement aint even the best. I was reliably told by the person who is molding the exterior interlocking tiles that will be placed in my uncles compound that the interlocking tiles molded with Dangote cement dries slowly and cracks easily, no matter the quality of the mixture. He further said that the best cement to be used in that work is Ibeto cement. So high cost does not necessarily mean high quality.
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by basadenet: 11:15am On Jul 05, 2012
CHIDI EJIOGU: This dangote person is a serious tribalist.

@chidi ejiogu. i think you are 100% wrong with your assertion here. Do you know that other tribes too are involved in cement manufacturing in Nigeria? Do you know that this Dangote Guy is one of the few Business men that employed more Yoruba's and Igbos in their companies than his own tribes men. so from little analogy you see Dangote is not a tribalistic person as you claim. .
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by sadi78: 11:24am On Jul 05, 2012
ZUBY77: Dangote is such a wicked business man. Do you know how much a ag of cement cost in the east? He is following the trend of marginalizing igbos since after the war. Your time is up dangote. No one can stop a moving train
Dangote is not a wicked man! He just dominated the market due to ur slumber! You know you igbos are not hard working, you are masters in piracy and drug pushing!

1 Like

Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by airroseice(m): 11:30am On Jul 05, 2012
GREED is Disgusting.
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by ifihearam: 11:38am On Jul 05, 2012
@sadi
That was uncalled for na. Just make ur point without being abusive and when will this tribal war stop in Nigeria.
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by Afam4eva(m): 11:39am On Jul 05, 2012
What is Dangote's business with who the FG gives waiver to or whether Ibeto has not paid government it's import duties. is Dangote now representing government? I think Dangote is a greedy business who is taking advantage of the largess that he's been getting from the FG to supress other businesses.
Re: Dangote Vs Ibeto: Judge Wants Single Hearing by crackhouse(m): 11:39am On Jul 05, 2012
ifechukwue1: dangote is a greedy extremist minded hausa man imagine. after conniving with obj. against ibeto 4 abt 4yrs dis devilish malam is nt tired of conniving May God purnish him n dat his business..,.i'll neva buy anymore of dangote goods again he's a bastard
me too. I will not buy his product again. Which kind bad belle person be that, the money wey im get never do am?. Oliver twist.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Are Better Off Without Clickbank And Paypal / My Solar Set Up Journey After A Year. Very Cool / Shopping Experience With Mallforafrica.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.