Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,262 members, 7,807,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:11 PM

What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? (17178 Views)

Realities In Nigeria's Oil Industry / Should I Relocate?is Living Abroad Or In Abuja That Lucrative? / Cost Of Living In Aba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by mammz: 7:21pm On Jul 05, 2012
Europe, US and Canada!!! the common destination for most africans .
the common career path seems to be a masters degree, research work and very recently a rush for nursing (gbo gbo no feli feli lipsrsealed)
But my question now is what next? I am a Business Management graduate and it has been difficult to secure a job with my qualification... do I go for a masters degree or try nursing because the jobs just ain't available... undecided

Is it the system, my qualification or me... cry
Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by katilicious(f): 2:19pm On Jul 06, 2012
May b kissMay b
Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by Ibadiarann(m): 2:20pm On Jul 06, 2012
It's the global recession. Don't blame yourself.
Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 06, 2012
mammz: Europe, US and Canada!!! the common destination for most africans .
the common career path seems to be a masters degree, research work and very recently a rush for nursing (gbo gbo no feli feli lipsrsealed)
But my question now is what next? I am a Business Management graduate and it has been difficult to secure a job with my qualification... do I go for a masters degree or try nursing because the jobs just ain't available... undecided

Is this an attempt at Yoruba? Lawd have mercy!! It is not by force na.

Go for a master's degrees. In this economy, anything less is a pure joke.
Even with Nursing,they're beginning to require a masters or upper education.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by Fhemmmy: 2:21pm On Jul 06, 2012

It could be all of the above?
Have you had a professional looked at your Resume (CV)?
Have you had someone gone thru interview questions with you, or lemme ask, are you getting interviews?
Do u make sure you appearance is professional when attending interviews.
Shed more lights and i am sure people will be glad to be of help. . . You are getting closer to being employed

1 Like

Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by nairawall: 2:22pm On Jul 06, 2012
The Nigeria economy has just very few sectors working. You probably will get better jobs as a nurse because the Nigeria health sector is vibrant.
Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by 9jvirgin(m): 2:22pm On Jul 06, 2012
Which country are you?
Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by Fhemmmy: 2:23pm On Jul 06, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

That is a good one, even McDonald's will soon be requesting for Masters to flip burger

1 Like

Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by obi123: 2:23pm On Jul 06, 2012

well i studied Business mgt for my masters in the UK, before i graduated i already decided that i was going to go into project mgt , so i did the prince2 exam, and i have not looked back since. The masters degree just adds to my qualifications and helps when i'm negotiating my salary .
My advice is that you look for jobs not necessarily with the tag business mgt but look for jobs that you have the skills they are looking for, look into doing one or 2 professional courses, not sure which one but you cant go wrong with project mgt.
Also what does your CV say about you? have you registered with agencies? what websites have you searched , looking for a job should become your full time job now oh, you must not sleep , dont shy away from application forms and most of all how far with your papers? hope that's in order .
Lastly you will be rejected many times but dont give up when you get the usual on this occasion you have not been successful email nicely delete and keep applying .
Even in this recession people are still getting jobs everyday and that shld be your mindset

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by 9jvirgin(m): 2:24pm On Jul 06, 2012
Do you need a professionally treated CV to land that job? You might need to consult me smiley

1 Like

Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by dannysoya: 2:28pm On Jul 06, 2012
Talking from experience. It is FAR from a bed of roses. To start with have it att he back of your mind that you are one of MILLIONS of immigrantsi nthat country. Also have it at the back of your mind that since oyu are not a native of that country the chances are it's gonna be harder to get things there than natives.
Keep in mind that there are natives/ citizens of that country who have also graduated with degrees and are looking for jobs. Also consider the fac that over the last ten or so years, there is a rise in very strong anti-immigrant undertones abroad. And there is increasing dislike for immigrants. So you have to stand out. You've gottta show your employer why you should be picked over all those others. It goes far beyond qualifications cuz those people are just as qaulified as you and they are citizens and natives of the country while you aren't so they have a slight advantage. I wish the best of luck and May God help you in your journey there.

6 Likes

Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jul 06, 2012
First thing first, when they read your name in your resume, and it sound black, you are sure gonna be their second or alternative choice.

Ok maybe that was a bad joke grin grin grin grin but hey I am sure many people can relate. grin grin grin grin grin Our skin clour is a major issue.

Racism is still true and alive. undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jul 06, 2012
Fhemmmy:

It could be all of the above?
Have you had a professional looked at your Resume (CV)?
Have you had someone gone thru interview questions with you, or lemme ask, are you getting interviews?
Do u make sure you appearance is professional when attending interviews.
Shed more lights and i am sure people will be glad to be of help. . . You are getting closer to being employed

If he does not meet the minimum requirement, an interview will not be granted.
Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by drmma: 2:30pm On Jul 06, 2012
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode]Business Management? And you are still confused?
Did you read recommended course books or just handouts?
Look inside yourself! Dont let whatever they call recesssion
affect you. You can create a business. You can do something
The money you are going to use to process Canadian documents
and school fees for your Masters is enough for you to start
something. Look inwards beloved. Your destiny is in your hands!

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jul 06, 2012
rokiatu: First thing first, when they read your name in your resume, and it sound black, you are sure gonna be their second or alternative choice.

Ok maybe that was a bad joke grin grin grin grin but hey I am sure many people can relate. grin grin grin grin grin Our skin clour is a major issue.

He has a Nigerian name, not a "Sheniqua" or "Chinaynay" name.

I think African names have better chance during CV review.
Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by courage89(m): 2:32pm On Jul 06, 2012
What you do is not as important as the reason behind it. Your masters program will not mean that much to you, if you don't have enough reasons for starting the program in the first place. Start with reasons why masters program will be a good long term fit for you or reasons why you should and how you can utilize your current degree.
Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jul 06, 2012
obi123:

well i studied Business mgt for my masters in the UK, before i graduated i already decided that i was going to go into project mgt , so i did the prince2 exam, and i have not looked back since. The masters degree just adds to my qualifications and helps when i'm negotiating my salary .
My advice is that you look for jobs not necessarily with the tag business mgt but look for jobs that you have the skills they are looking for, look into doing one or 2 professional courses, not sure which one but you cant go wrong with project mgt.
Also what does your CV say about you? have you registered with agencies? what websites have you searched , looking for a job should become your full time job now oh, you must not sleep , dont shy away from application forms and most of all how far with your papers? hope that's in order .
Lastly you will be rejected many times but dont give up when you get the usual on this occasion you have not been successful email nicely delete and keep applying .
Even in this recession people are still getting jobs everyday and that shld be your mindset

A+ advice.
But how long is that going to take?
Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by Philolos: 2:36pm On Jul 06, 2012
I live abroad also and I've been in a similar situation in the past unsure of what direction to go. The question about more degrees or nursing may not be the right question but what you think you enjoy doing. If for example, you don’t like the smell of a hospital then going into nursing would not be the right choice. Don’t just consider where you are today but where you want to be in future. If your true calling is in management, then find a local charity to volunteer, to start harnessing that skill. It’s not just having a degree(s) even though at some point it would help, but it is what you have done or can do with it. Moreover, if you do fancy nursing and go into it, you may become a manager soon with your MS in management. But proceed with caution and don’t go into one profession or another just because that is what others around you are doing. Good luck and have faith.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 06, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Even worst. The Nigerian name scared them even more. Cuz they know by such long name you are sure black. grin grin

Ok I am laughing with this but is damn true, the people are damn racist. They just don't want to see black people in certain positions.

I mean I experienced something similar just the end of last year. I was admited to this hospital for well well don't wanna go into detial, and I think the staff at the hospital were expecting an MD that day.

This black man just walk in and bamb an RN ran quickly toward him...you wouldn't believe what she said.

"Sir I am sorry but you have to leave right this moment is passed visting time" We are only expecting an MD right now"

And the man introduced himself as the MD Bleep! she was embarrassed. "I am so sorry sir I didn't know you were the MD" bla bla bla ya you didn't know cuz he's black. grin grin grin

Hey I am not saying this could be his issue but this is def part of it if he's living abroad.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by redsun(m): 2:43pm On Jul 06, 2012
I thought this fhemmy is the one that was killed in chigago by some american n.ggas? Did he resurect like jesus?
Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by kaiter: 2:46pm On Jul 06, 2012
The Nigeria economy has just very few sectors working. [img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by Everest9(m): 2:47pm On Jul 06, 2012
U can go for nursing
Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jul 06, 2012
rokiatu:

Even worst. The Nigerian name scared them even more. Cuz they know by such long name you are sure black. grin grin

Ok I am laughing with this but is damn true, the people are damn racist. They just don't want to see black people in certain positions.

I mean I experienced something similar just the end of last year. I was admited to this hospital for well well don't wanna go into detial, and I think the staff at the hospital were expecting an MD that day.

This black man just walk in and bamb an RN ran quickly toward him...you wouldn't believe what she said.

"Sir I am sorry but you have to leave right this moment is passed visting time" We are only expecting an MD right now"

And the man introduced himself as the MD Bleep! she was embarrassed. "I am so sorry sir I didn't know you were the MD" bla bla bla ya you didn't know cuz he's black. grin grin grin

Hey I am not saying this could be his issue but this is def part of it if he's living abroad.

Racism is there, true.
But I've never been put off because of my name.
I had one professor who actually tried to say my name throughout the year, she thought it was "pretty" lol. We ended up becoming close, she got me my RA position.
Another interview had this guy liking my name, I didn't get the job because of "no experience". But he got me another job on another floor.
My name has been a blessing to me so far. tongue
African names leads to conversations, which leads to connections which leads to opened doors. You just have to know how to work it.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by slimming: 2:59pm On Jul 06, 2012
loneliness

1 Like

Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by sammirano: 3:00pm On Jul 06, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Go for a master's degrees. In this economy, anything less is a pure water.
Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by Siga: 3:00pm On Jul 06, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Ah see u...I have been in room where candidates are been sorted and my manager who happens to be the hiring manager saw a Nigerian name and was like...this name is too difficult to pronounce, I dont think I can hire this person, what will I call him...I had to jump in and say its simple...call him Chi...cos his name is Chiamaka...lol...Guys...be mindful of the name plz
Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jul 06, 2012
rokiatu:

[b]"Sir I am sorry but you have to leave right this moment is passed visting time" We are only expecting an MD right now"

And the man introduced himself as the MD Bleep! she was embarrassed. "I am so sorry sir I didn't know you were the MD" bla bla bla ya you didn't know cuz he's black. [/b
]grin grin grin

I would have asked her if there was a "quantified" nurse on the floor.
Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jul 06, 2012
Siga:

Ah see u...I have been in room where candidates are been sorted and my manager who happens to be the hiring manager saw a Nigerian name and was like...this name is too difficult to pronounce, I dont think I can hire this person, what will I call him...I had to jump in and say its simple...call him Chi...cos his name is Chiamaka...lol...Guys...be mindful of the name plz

LMAO!!! grin grin grin

I don't believe you though, they wouldn't be that affront with you nau
Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by redsun(m): 3:05pm On Jul 06, 2012
kaiter: The Nigeria economy has just very few sectors working. [img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img]

That makes it better. All those sectors that are not working need to work. And people like and i need to do it. Jobs are not created by angels,neither are developed ecocomies.

When they call us ni.ggers we get angry but in the true sense,we think and act like ni.ggas by running away from our fundamental responsibities. Irrespective of academic backgrounds,we still cannot pitch our tent,except on oyinbo layed patches.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jul 06, 2012
Stay here, be smart, get connected and make cooool cashhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... You only need to be smart

Go there without your required papers, : Wash toilets, wrap dead bodies, live like a criminal, and if you try to be smart, you get caught, jailed and deported..

The choice is yours undecided

1 Like

Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jul 06, 2012
rokiatu: First thing first, when they read your name in your resume, and it sound black, you are sure gonna be their second or alternative choice.

Oh dear, are we back to having these intellectually deficient kids on here again? undecided Maybe the problem isnt your skin color or native name.

At OP, sorry my name is a 10-letter long yoruba name and it didnt deter me from landing a job in the #1 fortune 100 company in America (wink) 2 months ago out of 40 candidates interviewed and i was only 1 of 2 blacks interviewed.

You just need to work harder and pray.

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Realities Of Living Abroad Today? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jul 06, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Nah your post is the joke.

Many of my friends here are engineering graduates with no masters degrees.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria / Please I Urgently Need Advice / Is It Right Or Wrong For The Trainee To Kneel Before Collecting Her Certificate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.