Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,541 members, 7,808,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:43 PM

Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? (23344 Views)

New Naira Notes Ready September Ending – CBN / Are You Still In Possession Of Old Naira Notes? / New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 10:42am On Jul 06, 2012
I could remember vividly back in the days when we use these lovely naira notes and coins in small denominations and they had more value than the bogus notes we have today?
have your say...

3 Likes

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 10:48am On Jul 06, 2012
more..

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 10:50am On Jul 06, 2012
more

3 Likes

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by engrj(m): 11:02am On Jul 06, 2012
Yes i use it then most time if i don't want to go to school my mum will give me 50kobo. grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Tsmooth1(m): 11:12am On Jul 06, 2012
This are new abi? because during my days there is no money, we exchange goods using trade by barter. You would give a whole cow for her to give u a common G.string!

3 Likes

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by stagger: 11:23am On Jul 06, 2012
Oh, my precious 5kobo that I used to buy buns and ice-cream in 1981. That in itself was a huge motivation to use in going to school then; the break time goodies! cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jul 06, 2012
Looks bright and colourful...Now it all looks dull and hopeless.

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by oge4real(f): 12:36pm On Jul 06, 2012
When Nigerian currency was real money.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by miteolu(m): 12:36pm On Jul 06, 2012
Inflations and govt. policies spot the whole show
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by ACM10: 12:37pm On Jul 06, 2012
Whenever I tell people that I used 1/2 kobo coins in the 80s, they don't believe me.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by sylve11: 12:39pm On Jul 06, 2012
stagger: Oh, my precious 5kobo that I used to buy buns and ice-cream in 1981. That in itself was a huge motivation to use in going to school then; the break time goodies! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Bad guy! grin cool
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by sylve11: 12:41pm On Jul 06, 2012
Oh! I remember dem days! sad cool cool
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Chaydee(m): 12:42pm On Jul 06, 2012
Niceone, am still in my early Twenties but i've got all dis currency hiding somewhere to show my future kids grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jul 06, 2012
T-smooth:
This are new abi? because during my days there is no money, we exchange goods using trade by barter. You would give a whole cow for her to give u a common G.string!

shocked
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by ACM10: 12:43pm On Jul 06, 2012
The 50 kobo coins shown here is the most recent one. I think 50 kobo was once in notes. Can someone confirm?
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Ayorh4you(m): 12:46pm On Jul 06, 2012
OMG! I remember those days when men were boys.....it was really fun. Wen u could buy lot of kulikuli wt 50K. 9ja don spoin sha

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Caporegime(m): 12:47pm On Jul 06, 2012
wow! 10kobo could get you a whole lot of Toffy Sweets, times were good then..
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by meedx: 12:48pm On Jul 06, 2012
ACM10: The 50 kobo coins shown here is the most recent one. I think 50 kobo was once in notes. Can someone confirm?
You are right. And it was a brownish note.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by microgiant: 12:48pm On Jul 06, 2012
ACM10: The 50 kobo coins shown here is the most recent one. I think 50 kobo was once in notes. Can someone confirm?
yes, late nineties

When i was in primary school and you go to school with 50 kobo, your case will be reported to the headmaster/mistress. The headmaster/mistress will ask you parents to come and explain if they gave you the 50 kobo.

With 10kobo you be ajebota be dat, and with 5kobo u go eat rice & meat, and still get change for 1 ice cream.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by stagger: 12:50pm On Jul 06, 2012

Yes it was. Purplish.

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by microgiant: 12:52pm On Jul 06, 2012
The 1 naira that was printed same time with the 50 Kobo note posted by stagger is not here. The one naira above was issued by CBN in 1979.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Cultured(m): 12:52pm On Jul 06, 2012
I weep for my beloved country. I remember those all good days .
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by uchlukez(f): 12:55pm On Jul 06, 2012
SMH. Lots of old peeps in nairaland

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:57pm On Jul 06, 2012
Dat K10 ll buy me 10 sumal bubble gum.
If na food, na rice K6, beans K2 & meat K2.
It's a pity dat wen d world of 9ja was changing, her economy changed negatively.
Nigeria go survive sha!
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Apesin001: 12:58pm On Jul 06, 2012
o my goodness, these money had value then, compared to now that everything is worst.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by GarbaAudu: 1:02pm On Jul 06, 2012
The good old days. This is the kind of thread that should be making front page on nairaland. God bless you Dr. Joe.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Biggyd2: 1:04pm On Jul 06, 2012
Days when our money had value. Not today that pound and dollar are messing up are currency big time. Even our legislooters transact their businesses in these foreign currencies.

I am going to visit me granny soon, I am sure she still has those coins stashed somewhere in one of those black and red metal boxes.
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by ACM10: 1:04pm On Jul 06, 2012
microgiant:
yes, late nineties

When i was in primary school and you go to school with 50 kobo, your case will be reported to the principal. The principal with ask you parents to come and explain if they gave you the 50 kobo.

With 10kobo you be ajebota be dat, and with 5kobo u go eat rice & meat, and still get change for 1 ice cream.

grin grin grin
I remember when I stumbled on my mum's money. They were about 5 bundles of 20 Naira notes(highest denomination then), 10 bundles of 5 Naira notes and about 10 bundles of mixed 1 Naira and 50 kobo notes. I took only 4 notes of 50 kobo(N2). I went out with my friends painting the town red with kulikuli and sugar cane with only 50 kobo. grin Some people reported me to my mum, who promptly ordered some hefty men to bundle me back home. Thereafter, I was given a beating of my life. Well I took solace in the fact that I have N1:50K left to do big boy for the rest of the week. grin

7 Likes

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by slimyem: 1:06pm On Jul 06, 2012
i only remember apending 50k and one naira note....
Dunno about the rest...
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by mallorca(m): 1:06pm On Jul 06, 2012
i still have the 1 naira and 50 kobo notes with me up till date
Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by Krucifax(m): 1:07pm On Jul 06, 2012
When our currency still had relative world values!

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? by gigabytes: 1:07pm On Jul 06, 2012
Nna where una dey see this old old things. I started school with 1k pocket money and left primary school with it and started with 5kobo for secondary school.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Inexperienced Tech Personnel In Banks Scuttle Cashless Banking / 7 Ways To Get Out Of Debt In 2021 / UBA: What's Killing Your Great Brand?-A FOLLOW UP AFTER MEETING UBA GROUP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.