Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,184 members, 7,780,264 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:31 AM

Wimbledon 2012: Andy Murray Beats Tsonga To Reach Final - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Wimbledon 2012: Andy Murray Beats Tsonga To Reach Final (628 Views)

"Other Rappers Be Like Naija Them No Dey Reach Final"........... OLAMIDE / Andy Murray Defeats Roger Federer To Win Olympic Tennis Gold / Wimbledon 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Wimbledon 2012: Andy Murray Beats Tsonga To Reach Final by kiyosaki1(m): 7:52am On Jul 07, 2012
Andy Murray became the first British man in 74 years to reach the Wimbledon singles final with a battling four-set victory over Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

The 25-year-old took a step that no compatriot had managed in 11 attempts since Bunny Austin in 1938.

He overwhelmed Tsonga 6-3 6-4 3-6 7-5 in two hours 47 minutes on Centre Court and faces 16-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer in Sunday's showpiece
Fred Perry was the last British man to lift a major singles title in 1936.

Perry triumphed at Wimbledon and the US Open that season, and Murray will be desperate to emulate the Englishman's achievement.

It is his fourth Grand Slam final but the first at a venue where Federer is bidding for a record-equalling seventh crown.

While the Swiss offers formidable opposition, Murray will be confident of fulfilling the hopes of a nation after dispatching Tsonga.

"I feel a bit of relief, excitement, it's tough to explain," the Scot told BBC Sport. "It was such a close match in the end, both of us had chances.

"I started well, had one loose game on my serve at the beginning of the third set and he came back into it.

"It was tough to lose that set - I tried to stay calm but it's not easy. There's a lot of pressure when you're on the court, but you've just got to focus.

"I did well because he started to play really well. He had break points at 4-4 [in the fourth set] and I just managed to hang tough."

(1) (Reply)

Platini’s Record Still Standing / Nigerian Olympic Star: I've Never ACTUALLY Been To Nigeria / Ghanaian International Boeteng Takes A Stand Against RACISM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.