Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,791 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:23 AM

Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? (28658 Views)

Watch University Lecturer Flogging Students (video) / Married In School, Single At Home In Nigeria Universities. / Nicknames Your Teachers Were Given In School And How They Earned It. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by alienYOUTH(m): 4:50am On Jul 09, 2012
Blows and wounds cleanse away evil, and beatings purge the inmost being (Prov 20:30).

You can only speak sense to someone who has d capacity to reason...kids don't. U jst have to draw d line btw correcting in love and child abuse. I have 3 kids and i don't spare d rod at all wit them, i jst make sure ample warnings b4 comboing them so they knw why they r being spanked. It gets to a time tho when they attain d right mental capacity where a few slaps and words of reasoning/warning will be sufficient to pass d message across.

The main problem is parents leave their kids till too late b4 they start spanking them...btw ages 1 to 3 is when u r s'posed to 'rod' d child, it tapers after then & is s'posed to be replaced wit verbal reprimand. If by 10yrs u r still actively beating ur kid, then i'm afraid u have failed...it will have little effect from then on.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Nobody: 7:28am On Jul 09, 2012
Billyonaire: I used to think its good. Now I know its bad. You dont have to beat up a kid to impact on them. Just use control statements, tell them. If you touch a girl, even with your feet, she is pregnant.....lol
You'd be causing more havoc on the child as you will be misleading him. It's better to beat a child. This is done to correct them because no sane human being will flog a child for no reason.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Nobody: 7:42am On Jul 09, 2012
In 1995, mum was supposed to visit my sister in her boarding school. She forgot my sister's milo at home, before she came back I and my friend finished the sachet milo. I was beaten like a rogue when she got back. Was I supposed to be warned before drinking such thing? My father sat and watched as i got whipped.
in 1996, i failed quantitative reasoning in 2 consecutive terms, my mum asked my teacher to deal with me. Uncle felix my teacher beat me so tay I began leading the class. There are things only pain will cause you to derive benefit from. In essence, came has shaped my life positively. If I had been left and warned by seizing my toys, I would have been nothing by now. Any teacher that doesn't cane my child is unserious.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 09, 2012
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by hush007: 9:06am On Jul 09, 2012
One, to say using cane in foreign land is highly prohibited is not true. White conservatives do use canes as disciplinary measures. Most of us must av read of how oliver twist was flogged just for asking more. Howeva, using cane or beating as a sole discplinary measure is wrong and can prove ineffective in a lot of situations. As adults, we must know when to beat a child for a wrong action and ground the child to become responsible for it too.
In modern society, parents and the community at large indulge their kids in wrong behaviours, either intentionally or not. Most of today's children indecent or immoral behaviour is as a result of the wrong values and attitudes they've either seen or experienced. Cane doesn't solve that, the environment needs to correct that but that is to say where it requires beating too, pls do so the child doesn't get comfortable with certain beliefs. Schools shud improvise for canes. Abroad, there is wot is called detentions in schools for children dat misbehaves. No child wants to be denied and dats the purpose of detentions.

To round dis all up, cane is a way of discplining a child bur were it is over used becomes ineffective. Correcting a child for wrong behaviour, attitude or deamenor shud be evaluated and the appropiate corrective measures shud be taken besides flogging.

Ciao...
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by sayso: 9:37am On Jul 09, 2012
You don't beat a child,he or she is not your mate.You correct a child with cane and save him or her from future destruction for naija I mean.Do not try it at home if you are living abroad naija.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Abimbade: 10:23am On Jul 09, 2012
superior1: Myself and Layi were good friends in my secondary school days, we committed all kind of atrocities together including eloping to watch films like Mard (if you remember that Indian film) when others were in class. On the day bubble burst on our film watching escapade, my papa beat the living day light out of me while papa Layi gave him a good verbal lesson.

Immediate Effect: I quit watching films during school hours and my grades improved remarkably in class (I graduated best in Olevel in my school, Layi got a new pal and continued in his film then later betting adventures.
Long time Effect: Met Layi recently somewhere in Osogbo (He repairs okada for living). As for me, i aren't doing bad atoll.

My papa's cane was the beginning of wisdom for me although when i became a young man, he started using experiences to teach me. i feel flogging children who pose indifferent to verbal warning is very OK (as far as u dont turn it to an abuse)

mtcheeww
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Sagamite(m): 10:34am On Jul 09, 2012
It is a more efficient and more impactful approach when done with restraint and in the right context.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by jeak123(m): 10:50am On Jul 09, 2012
Flogging children as a form of correction is not a bad idea itself.i recall when we were growing up, my brother will trash us and i can tell u it made a lot of difference. And other of my brothers kids he didn't handle sternly, d differnce is clear. They cant be compared (i mean discipline wise)
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by jeak123(m): 11:01am On Jul 09, 2012
joeydozzy: seriously are you guys still in the @9th century? yeah you guys think beating someone will bring out good in him but have you guys seen the side effects. that person is cold to love, attachments, aggressive, becomes rude and thinks he can always get out of being in trouble. do you think you cannot train a kid without cane? is he/she an animal that you would inflict wounds and injuries on one? god made you and me in his own image and likeness not to see his children being tested and suffered by his fellow creations? there are so many other ways to train a child without the use of a rod. I know people that were brought up without being beaten by their parents and they are cleaner than most.

I don't think that's called love cos you show intentions of hurting a child. that child will grow up without full gratitude to his/her parents. learn to build on ones strong point, love him more, being altruistic in many ways instead of working to develop his hatred for you. I know people will counteract this but check your kids now and see if you want him/her to be like the bad ones cool

Has any of these ur theories made white children better than african children? Has it made white chidren luv more than african children. U're d type who despises our culture for all these imported nonsense. Ask students themselves, they'll will tell u they are alwayz @ their best when their teacher is strict and is ready to use d cain. So wake and remember dat u're an african and we should be proud of our culture.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Nobody: 11:06am On Jul 09, 2012
Super1759: ....are you saying what the bible said "spare the rod and spoil the child" is an old way of upbringing?

yeah precisely
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Nobody: 11:13am On Jul 09, 2012
jeak123:

Has any of these ur theories made white children better than african children? Has it made white chidren luv more than african children. U're d type who despises our culture for all these imported nonsense. Ask students themselves, they'll will tell u they are alwayz @ their best when their teacher is strict and is ready to use d cain. So wake and remember dat u're an african and we should be proud of our culture.

so in essence you're saying that cane is part of our culture? smh. now based on asking students, can you check the kids that get first classes, doctorate degrees, ask them if they were flogged and receive your answer. their parents spend their time showing them love and spend better part of their lives looking at the positive part and shielding the negative and pessimistic parts. that is the way of upbringing
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by jeak123(m): 11:13am On Jul 09, 2012
joeydozzy: seriously are you guys still in the @9th century? yeah you guys think beating someone will bring out good in him but have you guys seen the side effects. that person is cold to love, attachments, aggressive, becomes rude and thinks he can always get out of being in trouble. do you think you cannot train a kid without cane? is he/she an animal that you would inflict wounds and injuries on one? god made you and me in his own image and likeness not to see his children being tested and suffered by his fellow creations? there are so many other ways to train a child without the use of a rod. I know people that were brought up without being beaten by their parents and they are cleaner than most.

I don't think that's called love cos you show intentions of hurting a child. that child will grow up without full gratitude to his/her parents. learn to build on ones strong point, love him more, being altruistic in many ways instead of working to develop his hatred for you. I know people will counteract this but check your kids now and see if you want him/her to be like the bad ones cool
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Daresh(f): 11:56am On Jul 09, 2012
tete7000: I hope such as child you think you love so much and you are willing to spare pain will not be the pain to you when you grow old. Be wise and drop these attitude of yours.

I did not say that I am sparing my child pain, I say no teacher should flog my child. Most teachers especially in Nigeria take out all their anger and frustrations out on children. I spank my son. Please note the difference btw spanking and floggin. I did not give birth to an animal to be flogged like cattle. He is my child and I will discipline as I see fit. There is a piece of advice I got from an older wiser person, do not discipline a child in anger. Wait till you are calm and discipline in line with the offence committed. No teacher should flog my son. FINISH!!!

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by ireke(m): 12:15pm On Jul 09, 2012
My take on this is that I beat to correct my children not to vent my anger on them. I don't want to hurt them physically or psychologically in the name of beating them, so my beating is usually done with my dunlop bathroom slippers when they were smaller. That ensures that they are not injured, and it also helps me to manage my anger. Now I have a proper cane and they are all aware of what it means to be "counselled by my friend" that lives in my room and they don't like going that route.

I thank my parents for beating me when I was younger, we are all happier for it today. However, I think I got some beatings that were done simply to massage their anger and I am trying as much as possible not to do that to my children.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by mikron(m): 12:24pm On Jul 09, 2012
e dey good to flog our children wen dem misbehave o. bible support am
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Yorisb: 12:50pm On Jul 09, 2012
emmykk: na lie cane=cane,rod=rod don't gnash anything there

If according to u, a 'rod'=rod, then you're implying that a 'rod' should literally be used to chastise them whenever they stray and immoderately?
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Zilja(f): 1:16pm On Jul 09, 2012
black_beau: Unfortunately,africans don't seem to realize that our temparament and behaviour is different ffom that of the americans. The same thing that would make an american cry would not really faze an african.so,when I see nigerians copy americans unnecessarily,its annoying. Flogging is one of the best ways to correct the nigerian child. For those of you saying communication and interaction works better,I'd like to ask you this question: was there ever a time when you did something wrong as a kid and your parents corrected you with a speech and later,you were faced with the same situation,pls can you tell us your reaction? I'm sure you said to yourself,let me do it afterall,all my parents will do is to talk. Anyway,I was caned as a kid and I'm happy because it has helped shape my life a lot. As for my kids,I will cane them to discipline them but the key is to know when to cane and when to hold back.

I agree with what you have said but not totally and here’s why.

This topic is a two way street, If Africans live in America as most do, “flogging” in the home and school is out of the question. You “flog or “cane”, you go straight to jail and I’m not talking about on the monopoly board game.

Communication and interaction is a better method because your parents probably didn’t know how to verbally communicate at that time.

My mother was not a Christian when I was growing up and she whip, beat, threw objects at us all the time. Most of my whippings were with an extension cord from the telephone. It wasn’t until she became a Christian that she tried to get results in a different way which worked in most cases. Nevertheless, when I had my kids I only practice what I saw in the home. That didn’t work with today’s generation.

What I’m saying is I don’t think it matters whether you are from America, Africa, or Japan you have to try different ways to discipline your kids. What works for me may not work for you. You can’t continue to keep the cycle going just because it’s the culture cycle.

“When you know better you do better” –Maya Angelou
May God Bless!
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Patsey: 1:41pm On Jul 09, 2012
Legally speaking, flogging is a violation of the child's right to freedom from torture, or degrading treatment or punishment. This is purely a fundamental and an inalienable right which must not be violated. Psychologically, it is not good for children. A child who suffers violence potentially becomes a violent person
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Sagamite(m): 1:53pm On Jul 09, 2012
Patsey: Legally speaking, flogging is a violation of the child's right to freedom from torture, or degrading treatment or punishment. This is purely a fundamental and an inalienable right which must not be violated. Psychologically, it is not good for children. A child who suffers violence potentially becomes a violent person

Utter clunking rubbish!
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Patsey: 2:31pm On Jul 09, 2012
Sagamite: Utter clunking rubbish!
Ostensibly because you belong to the stone age...go and drink from the cup of enlightenment and become civilized. Smacking children is nothing but barbaric. Take it or leave it, I have no time for your your type.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jul 09, 2012

1 Like

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Yorisb: 2:42pm On Jul 09, 2012
^^
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by opalcrystal: 3:13pm On Jul 09, 2012
Hmmm, I was not caned while growing up and luckily I turned out a "good" girl. While my dad would advice you, my mum would "speak" the hell out of you. I remember crying like a flogged 'pikin' whenever she picked on me and I used to wish that she would just use the cane and not her tongue. I tot that I would never cane my own children but I realized that our own time was even better, this generation kids are more enlightened and need to be tamed. Then when Dad says stand up, you don't hesitate, now if you tell your kid to stand up, he will ask you why! So I use both, I speak with my son sometimes and I equally use the cane. If teachers are well trained then they will know how to handle these children. The first time I picked a cane for my son, my brother-in-law said the size of the cane was not in tandem with the offence. So there must be a balance. I don't over beat or over pamper. I drive home my point sternly and when he moves closer, I emphasize on the reason. He says sorry and I say Its okay, don't repeat it. 2mins after, we are both smiling. Caning does not kill but you must never beat out of anger, its called controlled lesson. There is a skool of tot that says 'beating a child sends the signal that beating is good and they will grow up beating others who offend them even their wives' Hmmm. That's why if u are ever going to use the cane, don't beat in anger so that the child gets the message.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by ppnigeria: 3:27pm On Jul 09, 2012
Flogging children should be brought back to the schools and family life. we at peoplepower nigeria have talked about this in our discussion forum. For more plese go to peoplepower.com.ng
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by marjo: 4:06pm On Jul 09, 2012
I was Never beaten as a child, only scolded - my mother tells me I was a very reasonable child. With my kids , I beat ... Not often but only after I have exhausted all talking. The important thing is balance. My kids know they are loved.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by alienYOUTH(m): 4:07pm On Jul 09, 2012
Patsey: Legally speaking, flogging is a violation of the child's right to freedom from torture, or degrading treatment or punishment. This is purely a fundamental and an inalienable right which must not be violated. Psychologically, it is not good for children. A child who suffers violence potentially becomes a violent person

Violence, Torture? Who said anything about torturing d kids. I agree there's a tendency for physical punishment to be abused, but not enough for it to be abolished. Dats why schools now report chidren to d police for unruly behaviour instead of dealing directly wit it. If d Western way is sacrosanct, then why do they still have the police or correctional facilities!?! Only pple who were abused as kids or are currently not parents make such untenable laws.
Humans r unruly by nature, much less kids...hence d need for law and punishment to put things in order. Nigeria is where it is today because of parents who have westernized d way they discipline their kids, and a system dat handles errants wit kid gloves.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Sagamite(m): 4:08pm On Jul 09, 2012
Patsey: Ostensibly because you belong to the stone age...go and drink from the cup of enlightenment and become civilized. Smacking children is nothing but barbaric. Take it or leave it, I have no time for your your type.

You are a mooron!

One of those foools that think any funky idea makes them "modern", "urban", "progressive" blah blah blah.

Fooool!

It is barbaric to train your child?

Ediot! Continue vomiting the moronic arguments you have been forcefed by fellow ediots.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Sagamite(m): 4:09pm On Jul 09, 2012
omo_to_dun: Why do folks always think it apropos to quote the Bible to support their views while turning a blind eye to other controversial verses? Do you also know that the Bible say that children who curse their parents shall be put to death (Leviticus 20:9)? If you beat your children when they misbehave, then you must also kill them when they imprecate you.

If beatings were truly efficacious, why then are our leaders so dissolute? How have beatings made our citizens a better people? Do the effects of beatings reflect positively on the character of our citizens?

What a stewpid statement.

So beating is the only factor that determines character?

Fooool!
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by lillies: 4:09pm On Jul 09, 2012
W
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jul 09, 2012
THIS IS SUCH A RHETORICAL QUESTION. I WAS FLOGGED AS A KID cry, SO MY KIDS MUST BE FLOGGGGEEDDDD! grin grin grin grin
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Sagamite(m): 4:39pm On Jul 09, 2012
slimdamatrix: THIS IS SUCH A RHETORICAL QUESTION. I WAS FLOGGED AS A KID cry, SO MY KIDS MUST BE FLOGGGGEEDDDD! grin grin grin grin

According to some fooools, because you were flogged, you were tortured! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Idiocy at the highest level. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Public And Private University Students Battle On Twitter For Supremacyy / The Death Trap Called Soak Away In Nigerian Schools / Do you Remember Or Used This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.