Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,245 members, 7,807,827 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:07 PM

Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? (28662 Views)

Watch University Lecturer Flogging Students (video) / Married In School, Single At Home In Nigeria Universities. / Nicknames Your Teachers Were Given In School And How They Earned It. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jul 09, 2012

1 Like

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Freddieyankee(m): 6:33pm On Jul 09, 2012
For me I would say it good to flog kids.... Flogging don't kill kids, I was flogged and I learnt from my mistake.... Like someone said on here the fear of flogging is the beginning of wisdom.
And for those comparing American kids and African kids....I have seem it all, I work with kids here in newyork and believe when I say if this kids curse you you go remember when ur papa born u and it so sad you can't touch or na tape rule dem go take measure ur jail term in the name of child abuse..... Students calling teachers names, answering phone calls in class... In na naija Fear go let you look your teacher face not to talk abt answering phone calls.... I am married and I always tell my wife that if my kids misbave I will flog them well well..... True born naija pikin
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Sagamite(m): 7:00pm On Jul 09, 2012
omo_to_dun:

I expect nothing more from a pseudo-literate like you. When adults are conversing, you need to stay quiet, observe, and learn; however, if or when any part of the discussion is unclear, you should raise your hands so that we may clarify. But I suspect that, given you are descended from cretins, you will not heed my exhortation.

You are a person!

I asked you a simple question to make you think (obviously a challenge for you) about your stewpid assertion:

So beating is the only factor that determines character?

Fooool! ANSWER and let me educate your daft arse!

1 Like

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by miketayo(m): 7:13pm On Jul 09, 2012
who says flogging does anythn in a child`s life...d touts on d road were flogged more than u guys talking here, ll they ever change.. i was flogged like hell wen i was a kid..bt i pretty sure i ll still b dsame person i am 2day if i wasnt.. communication is the only way out.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Sagamite(m): 7:25pm On Jul 09, 2012
miketayo: who says flogging does anythn in a child`s life...d touts on d road were flogged more than u guys talking here, ll they ever change.. i was flogged like hell wen i was a kid..bt i pretty sure i ll still b dsame person i am 2day if i wasnt.. communication is the only way out.

And who told you that the touts when flogged where flogged and corrected with the right guidance?

And who told you that the touts if not flogged would not be worse?

Flogging does nothing in a child's life? What do you smoke?
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jul 09, 2012

1 Like

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by chic2pimp(m): 10:31pm On Jul 09, 2012
Flogging when done in moderation can actually be good.

I for example can count on one hand the number of times I was flogged by my parents and I have to admit on each of those occasion I fully deserved the arse whopping I got.

However Excessive Flogging is a different story altogether. That is point blank child abuse.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Sagamite(m): 10:45pm On Jul 09, 2012
omo_to_dun:

You are a cretin! With all the beatings meted out on you, you are still a nuisance and dunce. Little boy, raise your hands before talking.

You are a person!

You can't answer my question? You have realised how dumb you are? grin grin grin grin grin grin

Cretin! grin
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by mddude(m): 10:46pm On Jul 09, 2012
Flogging should be sparingly used if used at all. There are ways to treat a child than flogging them. It depends on how you raise a child. A Child raised in a violent environment will not understand anything than beating and flogging. I have seen kids that had never been flogged that behaved better than kids that had been flogged and vice versa. It depends on how the child is raised.

My problem with flogging is that people resort to it as the first course of dealing with a child. One of my friends that came visiting here told me proudly how he beats his child everyday. He was surprised that I dont have to beat my children and they behave very well. I told him theer are ways I "deal" with them without having to flog them.

I get flogged growing up. To the best of my knowledge half of the flogging I got were not justified. Mind you, my parents are not cruel. Looking at things now, I wish they had talked to me. I was pretty any obedient child but my dad believed a child needed to be flogged to be disciplined. Discipline ecncompasses so many things and flogging may or not may not a part of it.

I set boundaries for my kids. My daughter knows all what will be taken away from her if she crosses those boundaries from day one. My son hardly even try to cross those boundaries. I realized most adults flog their kids out of anger not really out of discipline. If they take time to think, they will see they could have handled the situation differently. I guess it works for some people and may not work for the others but discipline encompasses so much than flogging a daylight out of a child.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jul 09, 2012
Freddieyankee: For me I would say it good to flog kids.... Flogging don't kill kids, I was flogged and I learnt from my mistake.... Like someone said on here the fear of flogging is the beginning of wisdom.
And for those comparing American kids and African kids....I have seem it all, I work with kids here in newyork and believe when I say if this kids curse you you go remember when ur papa born u and it so sad you can't touch or na tape rule dem go take measure ur jail term in the name of child abuse..... Students calling teachers names, answering phone calls in class... In na naija Fear go let you look your teacher face not to talk abt answering phone calls.... I am married and I always tell my wife that if my kids misbave I will flog them well well..... True born naija pikin

God bless you jare. You know what is right.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Sylverbox(m): 11:36pm On Jul 09, 2012
angryI cnt even imagine not floging my Kids....I go trash d hell out of any of dem. I remember my good frnd Oladipo Dada, whose mum used 2 come all d way 2 schl and stand dipo out in front of class, get a nice firm cain 4rm d teacher n whip senses into him...why? He left his chores at home thinking he escapes by coming 2 schl!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by miketayo(m): 6:58am On Jul 10, 2012
Sagamite:

And who told you that the touts when flogged where flogged and corrected with the right guidance?

And who told you that the touts if not flogged would not be worse?

Flogging does nothing in a child's life? What do you smoke?

lolzzzz.. so wat has flogging done in ur life
in general sense, look at schools where student get flogged and vice versa..which of d child acts more like a literate in our society later on??
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Sagamite(m): 8:38am On Jul 10, 2012
miketayo:

lolzzzz.. so wat has flogging done in ur life
in general sense, look at schools where student get flogged and vice versa..which of d child acts more like a literate in our society later on??

Is that the answer to my questions?

Have another go.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by blackbeau1(f): 11:09am On Jul 11, 2012
MuyiGL:

You are sure? Bro don't speak for me. My dad had his ways of getting the best out of us. Flogging was there but it was rare. In only very extreme situations. There are ways my dad would say things, or punish us that when faced with the same situation, the thought of what he would say or do if you did it again would make you have a serious rethink. Check my earlier commhent
hmmm.then you are one of those few children who could do that.congrats.but the hard truth is we need to discipline our children by flogging them or d nigeria that we so desperately want to change will actually change but for d worse.we will have children that work out of their parents just because mum and dad said something they don't like.children who can't lift up a single finger to do work.all because we think its 'uncool' to discipline our children.if you tell me that when you beat your child,u are going to do it moderately,ill understand. Pls let's help the future generation of nigerians.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Sep 28, 2012
Its inbetween i personally don't see anything wrong as long as its for the right purpose and not overdone.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Sagamite(m): 10:57am On Feb 11, 2013
I will NEVER be a funky parent.

[size=18pt]I hate you Dad so don’t contact me... you make me sick[/size]

[size=14pt]Son in furious texts blast[/size]

THE son of shamed former Cabinet minister Chris Huhne demanded that he admit his speeding points lie and told him during a series of bitter texts: “I hate you.”

In one hostile message, furious Peter Huhne told his “pathetic loser” dad: “We all know that you were driving.”

In another, as he waited to hear about an application to Oxford University, Peter, now 20, blasted: “You have no place in my life and no right to be proud. It’s irritating that you don’t seem to take the point.

Peter added: “You are such an autistic piece of s**t. Don’t contact me again you make me feel sick.”

Judge Mr Justice Sweeney last week ruled the texts could be heard by the jury in former Energy Secretary Huhne’s trial.

It prompted the Lib Dem MP, 58, to plead guilty yesterday to perverting justice over his speeding points to avoid prosecution. He faces jail and will be sentenced later

Huhne had vigorously denied making former wife Vicky Pryce, 60 — who sat beside him in the dock — take the rap on his behalf.

In one text in May 2011, Peter wrote: “We all know that you were driving. Accept it or face the consequences.

“You’ve told me that was the case. Or will this be another lie?

In another, he asked: “Are you going to accept your responsibility or do I have to contact the police and tell them what you told me?”

The texts were sent at a time the relationship between father and son was deteriorating rapidly.

It happened after it emerged Huhne had ended his 26-year marriage when his affair with bisexual PR adviser Carina Trimingham, 45, became public. She watched yesterday’s proceedings from the court’s public gallery.

In July, Peter texted: “You are the most ghastly man I’ve ever known. Does it give you pleasure that you have lost most of your friends?

In one text, dad Huhne wrote: “I’m thinking of you and I love you very much. It would be great to talk to you.” Peter replied: “F*** off.

On Christmas Day 2010, the MP tried to be civil with his son by writing: “Happy Christmas. Love you, Dad.”

He received the reply: “Well I hate you, so f*** off.

After his guilty plea, bailed Huhne — whose legal team had made TWO attempts to get the case dismissed — stood outside London’s Southwark Crown Court to announce he was standing down as the Lib Dem MP for Eastleigh in Hampshire.

The night that eventually finished Huhne’s political career came on March 12, 2003, when the then-MEP flew into Britain after a trip to Strasbourg.

He collected his BMW 7-Series — registration H11HNE — at Stansted in Essex, and was caught on camera at 11.23pm doing 69mph in a 50mph zone on the London-bound M11.

Crucially, the camera could not tell who was driving. At the time, Huhne had nine points on his licence. As he was heading home, economist Pryce was in London — and left a conference at around 10pm.

The timings meant it was virtually impossible for her to have been driving when Huhne was flashed.

Essex Police sent a speeding ticket to the Huhnes’ £1.3million home in Clapham, South London, on March 23. They received back two forms indicating Pryce — whose licence was clean — had been the driver.

The second was sent in after the first was filled out wrongly.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/4779253/Chris-Huhnes-son-in-bitter-series-of-texts.html

Raise your kids funkily and try to be their BFF and have them talk to you and have regards for you like a friend or even a child.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by okunoba(m): 5:54pm On Feb 16, 2013
The culture of violence continues, so sad to hear so many of our people especially those living in western Countries where good parents normally communicate with their kids by talking and the bad ones use violent. Those raised with violence end up being violent, so its no surprise Nigeria is such a violent society, everywhere you turn violence dey plenty.

If beating kids was what makes people turn good as adults, then we Nigerians should be the most law abiding people in the World, but we all know that in fact its the opposite, a lawless one. We don`t think we just follow what our parents thought us even if its poo, the same reason most of us are religious freaks. Poo passed on from one generation to another, when will Africans wake up and join civilization. In Scandinavia they don`t beat kids yet they are better behaved and more law abiding than us.,Nigerians.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Sagamite(m): 5:56pm On Feb 16, 2013
okunoba: The culture of violence continues, so sad to hear so many of our people especially those living in western Countries where good parents normally communicate with their kids by talking and the bad ones use violent. Those raised with violence end up being violent, so its no surprise Nigeria is such a violent society, everywhere you turn violence dey plenty.

If beating kids was what makes people turn good as adults, then we Nigerians should be the most law abiding people in the World, but we all know that in fact its the opposite, a lawless one. We don`t think we just follow what our parents thought us even if its poo, the same reason most of us are religious freaks. Poo passed on from one generation to another, when will Africans wake up and join civilization. In Scandinavia they don`t beat kids yet they are better behaved and more law abiding than us.,Nigerians.

As usual, the moronic rants.

So how come South Korea, Japan, Botswana and Singapore are not violent societies and have law abiding citizens despite the fact they use "violence" (person word alert) on their kids?
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by okunoba(m): 7:58pm On Feb 17, 2013
@Sagamite, I don`t want to be rude, but you are a good example of the fallacy of flogging children. In your comments all you do is insult and call people names instead of putting your points across in a civil way, that says so much about the impact of flogging in your life and the Nigerian society at large where violence and disrespect rules.

http://codenamemama.com/2010/08/26/corporal-punishment-fallacy/
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Sagamite(m): 8:20pm On Feb 17, 2013
okunoba: @Sagamite, I don`t want to be rude, but you are a good example of the fallacy of flogging children. In your comments all you do is insult and call people names instead of putting your points across in a civil way, that says so much about the impact of flogging in your life and the Nigerian society at large where violence and disrespect rules.

http://codenamemama.com/2010/08/26/corporal-punishment-fallacy/

You are a person.

I asked your dumb arsse a question, you can not answer it and you post some dumb link with a moronic conjecture?
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by okunoba(m): 9:46pm On Feb 17, 2013
@sagamite, flogging obviously has not made you a polite or civil person instead its turned u into a verbally abusive and probably violent persona. Sad that as an adult with all that beating u received growing up this is what u learned to say when debating or discussing issues.

"You are a person.
I asked your dumb arsse a question, you can not answer it and you post some dumb link with a moronic conjecture"

Will answer your questions when u learn the act of debating without the need to insult others. Have a good evening.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Sagamite(m): 10:07pm On Feb 17, 2013
okunoba: @sagamite, flogging obviously has not made you a polite or civil person instead its turned u into a verbally abusive and probably violent persona. Sad that as an adult with all that beating u received growing up this is what u learned to say when debating or discussing issues.

"You are a person.
I asked your dumb arsse a question, you can not answer it and you post some dumb link with a moronic conjecture"

Will answer your questions when u learn the act of debating without the need to insult others. Have a good evening.

And non-flogging turned you into a person?
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by luckyguy2: 3:42pm On Feb 02, 2017
Flogging A Child Is Not The Only Way To Impact Discipline Into That Child, And I Therefore Despise The Act Of Flogging Children In Schools In Nigeria, As This Can Affect Children Both Physically, Mentally And Psychologically, I Think Rather Than Flogging Children, A Better Means Of Discipline Should Be Developed, Flogging Children In Schools As An Act Of Discipline Is Not Good, Because Flogging Or Toturing Children Is Not The Only Way To Discipline A Child
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Immax5: 4:56pm On Nov 05, 2017
Super1759:
....are you saying what the bible said "spare the rod and spoil the child" is an old way of upbringing?
that is why it is in the old testament.
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by Christlikep: 2:24am On Nov 20, 2018
The truth is that what the Bible refer to as "spare not the rod" doesn't really mean cane. How do you know? Several times David used " your rod and your staff ", he said "they comfort me". Notice the word comfort here? How do you mean "COMFORT ME", David?? No, tell me. When he said "comfort me ", he meant ENCOURAGE!
Flogging, surely, doesn't encourage. Does it? No. It doesn't. So what does a "rod" in proverb mean? The primary meaning of the rod is "words"! The primary work of a rod is direction! So parents flog a child without even pointing out a direction to a desperately inquisitive child.

Why does the rod comfort? Because the primary meaning of biblical rod is "word". Only words of instructions spoke from the spirit of love can change a growing child and bring encouragement to him.

Thanks.

Pastor CHRISTLIKE C
Re: Flogging Children In School And At Home: Good Or Bad? Whats Your Take? by DavidLiving: 12:04pm On Feb 05, 2020
Flogging kids will no help them study better or to get higher grades. Only tutors can help.
Look for tutors at domyhomeworkonline.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Death Trap Called Soak Away In Nigerian Schools / Public And Private University Students Battle On Twitter For Supremacyy / Secondary School Students Sing Naira Marley's "Opotoyi" During Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.