Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,182 members, 7,807,582 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:45 PM

What Type Of Engine Is This(viperman, Ur Comments Pls) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Type Of Engine Is This(viperman, Ur Comments Pls) (1436 Views)

What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? / Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / My Car Won't Start When The Engine Is Cold, Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Type Of Engine Is This(viperman, Ur Comments Pls) by klassyguy(m): 1:55pm On Dec 03, 2007
Viperman and all other car freaks here, do u know whether this is a V-TEC engine? It is the engine of a Honda Accord LX 2001 model, but i can't tell whether its V-Tec or not. And what is the difference between a V-TEC engine and a normal one?

Re: What Type Of Engine Is This(viperman, Ur Comments Pls) by proo212(m): 2:51pm On Dec 03, 2007
I would say 9 times out of 10 it is a VTEC with a single cam. 2001 Honda Accord LX. The DX uses the normal non VTEC SOHC engine and the EX and LX use a SOHC VTEC engine especially from 98 - 02. I read my reply again and I'm not even sure if I answered your question! shocked

Engines have inlet and exhaust valves. These inlet valves let air into the engine and the exhausdt/outlet valves expel the combusted air when the spark plugs have ignited the fuel and air mixture. Some cars have 2 valves per cylinder (one inlet and one outlet), some have 3 vales (2 inlet and one outlet), in recent times most manufacturers have gone for 4 valves per cylinder (2 inlet and 2 outlet). Cars with 16v badging are the obvious ones. These valves are lifted and closed with camshafts. Some engines apply Single Overhead Camshafts (SOHC) and some engines apply Double Overhead Camshafts (DOHC)

The valve timing (opening and closing) sequence, how long the valves are opened for before they are closed. The length of time of opened or closed valves is indicative of how much air is allowed into the cylinders to be burned. Hence the other denotation of variable valve timing.

The SOHC engine uses the single camshaft to lift and close the valves while the DOHC uses one bank of camshaft for low RPMs and uses the other bank for high RPMs.

In my understanding the art of optimising the opening and closing of these valves to achieve better performance from an engine of a certain displacement without turbo or supercharging. Hondas are known for their screaming engines. The VTEC engines are known to develop more power at higher rev ranges compared to normal or induced engines depending on if they are optimsed for performance or economy. The Honda S2000 for instance has a red line of 9000 rpm and pulls harder from 6000 rpm when other engines will have have run out of breath.

Honda pioneered this technology but you now have other manucturers with different flavours of the same. Mitsubishi (MiVECS), Toyota (VVT-i), BMW (Valvotronic)

I'm no Engineer so I'm sure other Nairalanders with better knowledge can add or even disagree with me.
Re: What Type Of Engine Is This(viperman, Ur Comments Pls) by Ivvie: 4:14am On Dec 11, 2007
The formation of this engine is not the v tech format.
Re: What Type Of Engine Is This(viperman, Ur Comments Pls) by Ivvie: 4:18am On Dec 11, 2007
@Pro0212

What exactly did you post??!
Re: What Type Of Engine Is This(viperman, Ur Comments Pls) by proo212(m): 4:46pm On Dec 15, 2007
@Ivvie

If you don't understand my post google is your friend,

No offence intended.
Re: What Type Of Engine Is This(viperman, Ur Comments Pls) by Ivvie: 7:34pm On Dec 15, 2007
proo212:

@Ivvie

If you don't understand my post google is your friend,

No offence intended.

@Pro         [ No offense either and didn't take it as an offense ]

I don't need to google your post; It's my sub area of study and I'm also an engineer in training with an SAE licence.  Extensive simulations and structural analysis integrated with kinematics.  Multiphysics to some core.  I design/innovate and not fix.  So, vehicular engine technology is far trivial with respect to what I do.  Your post is mixed up and that is why I commented.  The OHC and DOHC just wasn't logical and your conclusion wrt to performance is infinitely off.
Re: What Type Of Engine Is This(viperman, Ur Comments Pls) by PAPABOMBOY: 9:29pm On Dec 15, 2007
Una too much book sef, sotay engineer wey neva qualify dey halla for bragging rights too. grin grin grin. Chei----book ohhhh!!!

Me kwanu, professional vulcanizer------Ajangbandi no go see beta tire without me.

Abeg helep the bobo if u sabi, if u no sabi make we hear word jare.
Re: What Type Of Engine Is This(viperman, Ur Comments Pls) by Ivvie: 10:21pm On Dec 15, 2007
@Papa

What's happening?!

Pro's info is partly correct and I queried it.

An Engineer in Training is an entry level engineer working under the supervision of an engineer.  It's termed EIT i.e. entry level engineer.  You are not an engineer till after 5 to 8 years in practice.  I did help your the fellow that requested the information.  I rebuilt a 90 degrees vblock engine two years back so it isn't books when I talk about engines and combustion.

My post before this to Pro012 ended in a form of cliffhanger 'cause the thread was getting off focus from it's initial post and didn't want grudges.
Re: What Type Of Engine Is This(viperman, Ur Comments Pls) by toyboy1(m): 6:01pm On Dec 16, 2007
@IVVIE,
This is a four cylinder VTEC engine, looking closely at the pic, u will see the VTEC imprint on the engine though its not so clear.
I have same model of car, no long grammer.
Re: What Type Of Engine Is This(viperman, Ur Comments Pls) by Ivvie: 9:19pm On Dec 16, 2007
toy boy:

@IVVIE,
This is a four cylinder VTEC engine, looking closely at the pic, u will see the VTEC imprint on the engine though its not so clear.
I have same model of car, no long grammer.

You may be right!

(1) (Reply)

Which Car Shows Do You Watch? / Lagos Plate Number / How And Why That Your Car Will Be Stolen With A Laptop And Tablet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.