Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,326 members, 7,808,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:11 AM

The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) (6490 Views)

Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. / Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism / In Defence Of Logicboy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by logicboy01: 1:25pm On Jul 08, 2012
Change the topic before the message

I have been an atheist for over 2 years in the UK but I started commenting on Nairaland few months ago. The thing that pushed me to start commenting on Nairaland was the issue of extreme religiosity in Nigeria. Yes, Nigeria has always been extremely religious but the tipping point was when I was driving past old kent road on a sunday in London and realising that there were 15 churches on a single road and all of them were full of my fellow Nigerians (Sunday is when you see people in Nigerian traditional attires packing the buses and streets of old kent road). Nigerians are carrying their religious zealotry to the UK, where British people are not church goers (66% of british christians havent gone to church in over a year). Over 35% of british are said to be atheists.

This drove me into a frenzy. I started commenting and making numerous threads on Nairaland. I made sure that I was an atheist zealot and very prolific making atheist threads. Now, many people on Niaraland (painfully including my fellow atheists) have rebuked me and called me different names such as a "militant atheist" or "evangelical atheist". However, many of them have overlooked one fact- I, logicboy, have made an effect on Nairaland. Before I started commenting on Nairaland, there were only a few topics per day concerning atheism or criticizing religion. What people dont realise is that in the process of complaining about my numerous atheist threads, the discussion is shifting towards atheism. Every time someone comments or criticizes my threads, atheism is addressed. Now that I have been commenting for some months on Niaraland, the number of atheist or anti-religious threads per day/week have been increasing. Count the first 10 threads on the religious section and you will find at least 4 of them being skeptical about religion or based on atheism. What was once a small and controlled issue is becoming more and more frequent. However, I can not take the credit for everything, other atheists or agnostics or skeptics were very influential too in this change. There is no way one man or atheist can do everything by himself. Every comment by an atheist is a move towards popularizing the topic of atheism.

The more atheism is discussed, the more people start asking questions about religion. The topic comes before the message. By moving the debate towards atheism, it becomes more recognized and gives us atheists a chance to explain why we dont believe in God and why people should be careful with religion. I have to state here that this is the basic difference between a christian evangelist and an atheist speaker; the atheist doesnt want to be controlled by religion in his/her personal life and wants people to question their religion while the evangelist wants people to convert to his or her religion to be saved. Agnostics, deists, pantheists are cool with me as an atheist. You dont have to be an atheist.

[size=14pt]
A war we can win
[/size]
Yes, a war against the excesses of religion and religious intolerance. I am not saying that I want to eradicate all religion. I and many other atheists only want people to question their religion and cut out the extreme parts of religion however they can peacefully. It is anyone's human right to choose and follow his or her religion of choice. However, that religion should not be used to kill (Boko Haram, terrorism), to divide (North and South Nigeria, Jews and gentiles), to oppress (women, gays), to defraud (tithe fraud), to humiliate (atheist are fools, burn in hell), to molest (churches and children) and to control (brainwashing the masses eg Oyedepo slap supporters).

This war is a verbal and non-confrontational war. If we cant challenge religious bigots and extremists in court, we must challenge them on paper and on the internet. The internet is where religions can not oppress anyone. Freedom of speech and anonymity on the internet shields from oppression and gives freedom to criticize what is taboo. This is why we atheists must always be active on the internet if we can. It was the internet in form of a youtube videos and blogs that led to Oyedepo being taken to court. It was the internet in form of blogs and youtube that led to "draw Muhammad day" as protest for free speech in Islam.

If there is any atheist that feels that we should just keep quiet and leave the religionists to their folly, the answer to that is; will you be happy if it your child that is beaten because of a false accusation of witchcraft? will you be happy if it is your daughter that is oppressed? will you be happy if you are the one being discriminated at because you dont believe in a religion.

I'll leave you with an inspirational speech;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WibmcsEGLKo

4 Likes

Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by justaqad(m): 1:40pm On Jul 08, 2012
hmmmmmmmmmmm,quite touching.
Though we are always drawn at cross fires, i have esteem respect for you.yess respect.
Though sometimes u can be annoying but it makes the fun worthwhile.
Just be good to yourself and people around u might probably get a mansion in heaven avenue,heaven state.hehehehehehehehehehe

2 Likes

Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by thehomer: 2:06pm On Jul 08, 2012
logicboy01: Change the topic before the message

I have been an atheist for over 2 years in the UK but I started commenting on Nairaland few months ago. The thing that pushed me to start commenting on Nairaland was the issue of extreme religiosity in Nigeria. Yes, Nigeria has always been extremely religious but the tipping point was when I was driving past old kent road on a sunday in London and realising that there were 15 churches on a single road and all of them were full of my fellow Nigerians (Sunday is when you see people in Nigerian traditional attires packing the buses and streets of old kent road). Nigerians are carrying their religious zealotry to the UK, where British people are not church goers (66% of british christians havent gone to church in over a year). Over 35% of british are said to be atheists.

This drove me into a frenzy. I started commenting and making numerous threads on Nairaland. I made sure that I was an atheist zealot and very prolific making atheist threads. Now, many people on Niaraland (painfully including my fellow atheists) have rebuked me and called me different names such as a "militant atheist" or "evangelical atheist". However, many of them have overlooked one fact- I, logicboy, have made an effect on Nairaland. Before I started commenting on Nairaland, there were only a few topics per day concerning atheism or criticizing religion. What people dont realise is that in the process of complaining about my numerous atheist threads, the discussion is shifting towards atheism. Every time someone comments or criticizes my threads, atheism is addressed. Now that I have been commenting for some months on Niaraland, the number of atheist or anti-religious threads per day/week have been increasing. Count the first 10 threads on the religious section and you will find at least 4 of them being skeptical about religion or based on atheism. What was once a small and controlled issue is becoming more and more frequent. However, I can not take the credit for everything, other atheists or agnostics or skeptics were very influential too in this change. There is no way one man or atheist can do everything by himself. Every comment by an atheist is a move towards popularizing the topic of atheism.

The more atheism is discussed, the more people start asking questions about religion. The topic comes before the message. By moving the debate towards atheism, it becomes more recognized and gives us atheists a chance to explain why we dont believe in God and why people should be careful with religion. I have to state here that this is the basic difference between a christian evangelist and an atheist speaker; the atheist doesnt want to be controlled by religion in his/her personal life and wants people to question their religion while the evangelist wants people to convert to his or her religion to be saved. Agnostics, deists, pantheists are cool with me as an atheist. You dont have to be an atheist.

[size=14pt]
A war we can win
[/size]
Yes, a war against the excesses of religion and religious intolerance. I am not saying that I want to eradicate all religion. I and many other atheists only want people to question their religion and cut out the extreme parts of religion however they can peacefully. It is anyone's human right to choose and follow his or her religion of choice. However, that religion should not be used to kill (Boko Haram, terrorism), to divide (North and South Nigeria, Jews and gentiles), to oppress (women, gays), to defraud (tithe fraud), to humiliate (atheist are fools, burn in hell), to molest (churches and children) and to control (brainwashing the masses eg Oyedepo slap supporters).

This war is a verbal and non-confrontational war. If we cant challenge religious bigots and extremists in court, we must challenge them on paper and on the internet. The internet is where religions can not oppress anyone. Freedom of speech and anonymity on the internet shields from oppression and gives freedom to criticize what is taboo. This is why we atheists must always be active on the internet if we can. It was the internet in form of a youtube videos and blogs that led to Oyedepo being taken to court. It was the internet in form of blogs and youtube that led to "draw Muhammad day" as protest for free speech in Islam.

If there is any atheist that feels that we should just keep quiet and leave the religionists to their folly, the answer to that is; will you be happy if it your child that is beaten because of a false accusation of witchcraft? will you be happy if it is your daughter that is oppressed? will you be happy if you are the one being discriminated at because you dont believe in a religion.

I'll leave you with an inspirational speech;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WibmcsEGLKo

Good for you. Multiple tactics and approaches are welcome.
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by logicboy01: 2:11pm On Jul 08, 2012
justaqad: hmmmmmmmmmmm,quite touching.
Though we are always drawn at cross fires, i have esteem respect for you.yess respect.
Though sometimes u can be annoying but it makes the fun worthwhile.
Just be good to yourself and people around u might probably get a mansion in heaven avenue,heaven state.hehehehehehehehehehe

No problems. I dont have problems with any religious person as long as you dont infringe on my human rights or feel the need to constantly condemn me to hell!
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by logicboy01: 2:11pm On Jul 08, 2012
thehomer:

Good for you. Multiple tactics and approaches are welcome.

Cheers. Good to hear from a fellow skeptic!
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jul 08, 2012
If there is one thing I like about atheists and atheism,it is their rationale.we need you to survive
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by logicboy01: 2:22pm On Jul 08, 2012
Reyginus: If there is one thing I like about atheist and atheism,it is their rationale.we need them to survive

Thanks. However, I must say that everyone has common sense and logic. Even the religious, the problem is that some of them allow the religion to cloud their judgement. There are smart religious people. We can look at Obama and his policies. He puts the welfare of the people before his christian religion.
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jul 08, 2012
A round of applause... Daddy DeepSight would be so proud.. grin
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by logicboy01: 4:22pm On Jul 08, 2012
musKeeto: A round of applause... Daddy DeepSight would be so proud.. grin

cry so epic!
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by Niflheim(m): 6:44pm On Jul 08, 2012
@logicboy,this is definetly the greatest speech/statement i have ever read on nairaland,you can be rest assured that i will continue to inundate this forum with the waters of the rivers of truth and reason.
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by logicboy01: 6:46pm On Jul 08, 2012
Niflheim: @logicboy,this is definetly the greatest speech/statement i have ever read on nairaland,you can be rest assured that i will continue to inundate this forum with the waters of the rivers of truth and reason.

Thanks. More grease to your elbows mann!
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by EbuksAllison7: 6:58pm On Jul 08, 2012
not bad...
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:59pm On Jul 08, 2012
Well no problems with your intentions and yes Religion does deserve every sh.it it gets, but you must understand the human (not divine) factor in all this machete-brandishing tactics grin I do not believe in aggressive, evangelical or militant atheism - A good idea planted in the mind will always sprout in spite of bad conditions. For me Atheism is beyond disbelief in Gods and Deities. It is the progressive evolution of the thinking (discerning) mind and it takes a lot of Maturity to keep an open mind for which ideas can flourish instead of stagnate in the pits of dogmatic religion. as I mentioned earlier, Religion deserves all the humiliation and insult it receives rather than the respect and authority it constantly demands in civilized societies. It is a good thing you live in the UK grin you are in the war-front (in a manner of speaking). Great Britain is continually being raped by Religion to the point that it matters not what the people have to say, but what Illiterate, violent, barbaric Muslim Arabs and Saudi-Arabia (which provides healthy funding for the Labor Party) want. I hear Sharia Courts have sprung up in Britain, with the full backing of British Law shocked
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by logicboy01: 6:59pm On Jul 08, 2012
EbuksAllison7: not bad...

Cheers!
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by cyrexx: 9:07pm On Jul 08, 2012
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jul 08, 2012
logicboy01: Change the topic before the message

[size=16pt]This drove me into a frenzy.[/size] I started commenting and making numerous threads on Nairaland. I made sure that I was an atheist zealot and very prolific making atheist threads.

this is what i will never understand. i am not whipped into a frenzy by the growing zealotry of gay rights advocates neither am i bothered whatsoever in the growing influence of atheism... why are atheists whipped into a maddening frenzy of anger because christians choose to worship a God they claim doesnt exist? What is it about this God that just drives atheists into a state of indescribable apoplexy?

4 Likes

Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jul 08, 2012
davidylan:

this is what i will never understand. i am not whipped into a frenzy by the growing zealotry of gay rights advocates neither am i bothered whatsoever in the growing influence of atheism... why are atheists whipped into a maddening frenzy of anger because christians choose to worship a God they claim doesnt exist? What is it about this God that just drives atheists into a state of indescribable apoplexy?

A valid question !
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by cyrexx: 9:23pm On Jul 08, 2012
Valid answers had been given to you religionists over a million times in many threads on nairaland but your "religious mind" will always override your "rational mind" that you cant see even the most basic fact right in your face.
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by EbuksAllison7: 9:24pm On Jul 08, 2012
davidylan:

It's not anger but something akin to pity.
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jul 08, 2012
EbuksAllison7: It's not anger but something akin to pity.

You are pitying people, some of whom live more fulfilled lives than yourselves, how hilarious grin
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jul 08, 2012
Being Atheist is transient. Its like emptying a bottle of dirty water, and keep it dry and empty, without knowing there are fruit juice you could fill in there, figuratively speaking. Staying atheist is also like a stationery bus with a capacity to move on. Atheism isnt a destination, infact, its the first bus stop among the many Bus Stops to realizing the Absolute truth, when the disciple is ready, the Master appears. So be....

2 Likes

Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jul 08, 2012
I don't really have a lot to say in response to you, but I do feel like I should say something hehe grin Anyway, I've got no beef with anyone who picks a fight with religion. If religion is that thing that turns people into murderous, unthinking morons, then I hold no truck with it and will fervently pray for the day we can live without it. However if that is what religion is, then we speak of ideologies and they are many and varied. Just as easily as people build a religion out of their conception of Jesus Christ and out of the doings and person and exploits of Muhammad, they can build a religion out of "unbelief". And just as easily as people murder and commit all sorts of atrocities for things they believe, they do the same for things they *refuse* to believe.

I'm a man free of religion (at least, that thing against which u speak and which I hope I have defined), but I have very firm beliefs about life. Because of these beliefs, I do not believe other beliefs. But it would compromise my beliefs to try to press another human being into the mold of my beliefs. Those beliefs, however firm, are not ultimate in my life. They change according to my development through life, but they do so in relation to an ultimate: a point to which I consistently and inadvertently gravitate no matter the greatness of departure I take with respect to life. Everyone, to the best of my knowledge, has an ultimate. I dare to say it's the same ultimate for all of us. Our beliefs develop according to our relationship to it. Therefore, in our doings, it is only right and reasonable to respect the next person's degree of development with respect to this ultimate and be willing to have our input in their development to be treated as suggestions and no more. That hold whether we're buddhists, christians, confucianists, traditionalists, moslems or atheists. All those, and more besides, exist to mark dividing lines between people. None of them permits brotherhood! They all say that deep inside their adherents are all out of whack.

So, while u militate against religion for all its misdeeds (and you have no contention from me about them smiley), keep in mind that you too are militating for something and will not be long in taking the same hard line you condemn.

Geee, that sure was saying a lot :/grin

2 Likes

Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jul 08, 2012
Ihedinobi: I don't really have a lot to say in response to you, but I do feel like I should say something hehe grin Anyway, I've got no beef with anyone who picks a fight with religion. If religion is that thing that turns people into murderous, unthinking morons, then I hold no truck with it and will fervently pray for the day we can live without it. However if that is what religion is, then we speak of ideologies and they are many and varied. Just as easily as people build a religion out of their conception of Jesus Christ and out of the doings and person and exploits of Muhammad, they can build a religion out of "unbelief". And just as easily as people murder and commit all sorts of atrocities for things they believe, they do the same for things they *refuse* to believe.

I'm a man free of religion (at least, that thing against which u speak and which I hope I have defined), but I have very firm beliefs about life. Because of these beliefs, I do not believe other beliefs. But it would compromise my beliefs to try to press another human being into the mold of my beliefs. Those beliefs, however firm, are not ultimate in my life. They change according to my development through life, but they do so in relation to an ultimate: a point to which I consistently and inadvertently gravitate no matter the greatness of departure I take with respect to life. Everyone, to the best of my knowledge, has an ultimate. I dare to say it's the same ultimate for all of us. Our beliefs develop according to our relationship to it. Therefore, in our doings, it is only right and reasonable to respect the next person's degree of development with respect to this ultimate and be willing to have our input in their development to be treated as suggestions and no more. That hold whether we're buddhists, christians, confucianists, traditionalists, moslems or atheists. All those, and more besides, exist to mark dividing lines between people. None of them permits brotherhood! They all say that deep inside their adherents are all out of whack.

So, while u militate against religion for all its misdeeds (and you have no contention from me about them smiley), keep in mind that you too are militating for something and will not be long in taking the same hard line you condemn.

Respectable and commendable input. Bravo

2 Likes

Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by InesQor(m): 9:57pm On Jul 08, 2012
davidylan:

Exactly!

+1
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by MacDaddy01: 10:01pm On Jul 08, 2012
davidylan:

(Macdaddy01 is logicboys other account)

Quite a foolish comment. I hope you realise that I was not whipped into a frenzy of anger, you just assumed that. I went into a typing frenzy powered by the belief that I can help convince my religious Nigerian brethren about the truth about religion
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by MacDaddy01: 10:02pm On Jul 08, 2012
InesQor:

Exactly!

+1

Keep supporting lies

MacDaddy01:

Quite a foolish comment. I hope you realise that I was not whipped into a frenzy of anger, you just assumed that. I went into a typing frenzy powered by the belief that I can help convince my religious Nigerian brethren about the truth about religion
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by MacDaddy01: 10:03pm On Jul 08, 2012
frosbel:

You are pitying people, some of whom live more fulfilled lives than yourselves, how hilarious grin

Fulfilled lives? They were coming from paying tithes in church and I was coming back from £1,000 gross profit from a business deal with my pal.
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by MacDaddy01: 10:05pm On Jul 08, 2012
Ihedinobi: I don't really have a lot to say in response to you, but I do feel like I should say something hehe grin Anyway, I've got no beef with anyone who picks a fight with religion. If religion is that thing that turns people into murderous, unthinking morons, then I hold no truck with it and will fervently pray for the day we can live without it. However if that is what religion is, then we speak of ideologies and they are many and varied. Just as easily as people build a religion out of their conception of Jesus Christ and out of the doings and person and exploits of Muhammad, they can build a religion out of "unbelief". And just as easily as people murder and commit all sorts of atrocities for things they believe, they do the same for things they *refuse* to believe.

lol. Nice one.

1 Like

Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by MacDaddy01: 10:06pm On Jul 08, 2012
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jul 08, 2012
MacDaddy01:

and what is the difference? Why does the private practice of religion PARTICULARLY by christians whip you into a frenzy? Why arent you equally in a frenzy to convince Buddhists about the truth?
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jul 08, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Fulfilled lives? They were coming from paying tithes in church and I was coming back from £1,000 gross profit from a business deal with my pal.

and who told you tithe payers dont have fulfilled lives?

A 1000 pound profit is why you are jumping around? shocked cheesy How old are you again? 12?
Re: The Logicboy Effect (A Message To All Nairaland Atheists) by InesQor(m): 10:22pm On Jul 08, 2012
MacDaddy01:
Keep supporting lies

What lies? Your exact words were

This drove me into a frenzy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Can A Born Again Christian Be Psychic / What Does Jesus Say About Psychics? / "Religion Has No Place In The 21st Century"-Cambridge Debate-Dawkins vs.Williams / Atheists, What are your views On Pornography And Masturbation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.