Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,889 members, 7,806,577 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:30 PM

The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa (8521 Views)

Ghana Ranked Freest Country In Sub-saharan Africa / The Meroitic Language Is Deciphered And It Is A Nilo-saharan (black African) One / Presidential Election: Battle Between North And South (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by anonymous6(f): 5:47pm On Jul 10, 2012
"North- and sub-Saharan Africa are considered by the global business community and by economists to represent two of the most important growth engines of the global economy. However in the last decades these two parts of the African continent have been pursuing their economical development in very independent and non-correlated manners. On one side North-Africa has been exclusively focusing on economic and business relationships with Europe and the Middle East. One the other side sub-Saharan Africa has been following many paths with the US, Europe, China, and India but not with their neighbors in the northern part of the continent.

Nevertheless more and more voices are calling for more integration between both parts of the continent as they bring different assets and arguments to the table. Both North-Africa and sub-Saharan Africa would benefit from bridging the economical and business North-Sub-Saharan divide. "

http://www.hbsafricaconference.com/RTAI_intergrating_north_and_sub_saharan_africa.php

The Unstable bridge between North and Sub-Saharan Africa
http://books.google.com/books?id=k_mPviQK11YC&pg=PA183&lpg=PA183&dq=the+divide+between+north+and+sub-saharan+africa&source=bl&ots=qpgh_4sPRI&sig=boKYEypAirX30PH2k0QX5dUVbxA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=uVn8T8DPHaTD6wHao7DbBg&ved=0CFUQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=the%20divide%20between%20north%20and%20sub-saharan%20africa&f=false
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by anonymous6(f): 5:48pm On Jul 10, 2012
I read snip its of this and I do believe their is a divide between the 2 regions for many reasons but what do Nigerians or other Africans think about this?
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jul 10, 2012
Why would North Africans even Bother wasting time doing business with sub saharan Africans?

More importantly why should any african feel they are inclined to do such?

I specifically recall you(anonymous6) writing the following, "i Don't consider north african's to be african"

Their is a Divide between the two regions for obvious reasons.

Let's be honest, They hate each other.

Both North-Africa and sub-Saharan Africa would benefit from bridging the economical and business North-Sub-Saharan divide.

No they wouldn't pure dream world.

Northern Sudan and Southern Sudan can't even get along, yet people expect the entire north of the continent to get along with "black" africa(SS)

Final Fantasy Land

(SS) would get the short end of the financial stick anyway....Just look at how China is ripping off the Congo,

Hilarious. Trading Natural Resources for "Architecture"

I am curious OP, do you believe the 2 should work together?

If so, why now? ...They have become conveniently "African" once the possibility of economic growth may be plausible.

If i were North Africa, i would just Rob them like the rest of the world is doing...

Makes no sense for them to settle for less when the European countries and china are getting gains 9 over 1

1 Like

Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 10, 2012
The divide was created by the British initially and subsequently by America...

They should have never cut the middle-east out of Africa..

It's just divide and conquer...
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by SmoothCrim: 8:26pm On Jul 10, 2012
The relationships between North Africa and countries in Africa is not that bad. Every country should be viewed individually. For example, Ghana has a good relationship with Egypt dating back over 50 years. Had a decent relationship with Libya until Gaddafi was overthrown now who knows... Only a minor relationship with Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia. In the end North Africa like the rest of Africa has major developmental issues also. Nigeria gets 90 percent of its revenue from Oil, Algeria 95. Libya and even Egypt are today destabilized and failing states. In the end the lack of a stronger relationship is more due to economic problems in both regions. A quick look at the failed states index will prove that all regions in Africa are still struggling.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/failed_states_index_2012_interactive

In the end as, as the economic situation continues to improve the relationship will become more useful. Right now the relationship is not bad but, economical issues prevent it from developing.
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by anonymous6(f): 8:32pm On Jul 10, 2012
~Royal~:
Why would North Africans even Bother wasting time doing business with sub saharan Africans?

More importantly why should any african feel they are inclined to do such?

I specifically recall you(anonymous6) writing the following, "i Don't consider north african's to be african"

Their is a Divide between the two regions for obvious reasons.

Let's be honest, They hate each other.

It is true, I still don't really consider north Africans to be African except for the fact that they are on the continent themselves, they are middle eastern in every way as Far as I am concerned, many of them mind you don't even consider themselves African.

lastly I agree with you on the part that why should their be inclined to do so especially on the sub-saharan African side

~Royal~:

No they wouldn't pure dream world.

Northern Sudan and Southern Sudan can't even get along, yet people expect the entire north of the continent to get along with "black" africa(SS)

Final Fantasy Land

(SS) would get the short end of the financial stick anyway....Just look at how China is ripping off the Congo,

Hilarious. Trading Natural Resources for "Architecture"

I am curious OP, do you believe the 2 should work together?

If so, why now? ...They have become conveniently "African" once the possibility of economic growth may be plausible.

If i were North Africa, i would just Rob them like the rest of the world is doing...

Makes no sense for them to settle for less when the European countries and china are getting gains 9 over 1

I agree with you a 100%, to answer your question no I don't think north Africa and sub-saharan Africa should really work together, maybe in a ideal world that would be nice but in reality north africa would gain and sub-Saharan Africa would lose because many north africans look down on sub-saharan africans, don't want to be called african and inline themselves with the middle east more then the rest of Africa many years ago, Did you hear what they did to muslim black africans in libya when they were fighting Gaddafi, cutting their heads and etc. maybe if North Africa changes their attitudes in regards to this I see it as possible

What has happened is nobodoy thinks of north Africa when it comes to Africa problems(many North Africans are getting irritated by that from what I heard), and many sub-Saharan Africans treat them like they don't exist or even consider them when it comes to Africa.
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by anonymous6(f): 8:39pm On Jul 10, 2012
SmoothCrim: The relationships between North Africa and countries in Africa is not that bad. Every country should be viewed individually. For example, Ghana has a good relationship with Egypt dating back over 50 years. Had a decent relationship with Libya until Gaddafi was overthrown now who knows... Only a minor relationship with Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia. In the end North Africa like the rest of Africa has major developmental issues also. Nigeria gets 90 percent of its revenue from Oil, Algeria 95. Libya and even Egypt are today destabilized and failing states. In the end the lack of a stronger relationship is more due to economic problems in both regions. A quick look at the failed states index will prove that all regions in Africa are still struggling.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/failed_states_index_2012_interactive

In the end as, as the economic situation continues to improve the relationship will become more useful. Right now the relationship is not bad but, economical issues prevent it from developing.

I agree every African country should be judged individually and I am not saying the there is a extreme divide between the regions like it is like how it is between Haiti and Dominica Republic but we can't deny that there is silent divide among the two regions, which I feel has alot to with many factors beside Sahara desert environmental divide.

The only connection I see between two regions is economy wise, which has been happening already but besides that we are so different to a extent
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by SmoothCrim: 8:47pm On Jul 10, 2012
anonymous6:

I agree every African country should be judged individually and I am not saying the there is a extreme divide between the regions like it is like how it is between Haiti and Dominica Republic but we can't deny that there is silent divide among the two regions, which I feel has alot to with many factors beside Sahara desert environmental divide.

Yes there is. It is more of an economic divide than anything else though. Specifically the countries that directly border North African countries are a lot poorer than the North African countries thus, in order to not get overrun by the Africans to the south SOME people have had to become xenophobic. The same as the divide between Mexico and the USA. In the end you should seperate the common person on the street from those who are more educated or at least more worldly. I don't think the divide is that great and any divide is more economics than anything else. In the end I believe that there is not more trade due to poverty in both regions but, with more growth that will change.
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jul 10, 2012
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by anonymous6(f): 8:57pm On Jul 10, 2012
SmoothCrim:

Yes there is. It is more of an economic divide than anything else though. Specifically the countries that directly border North African countries are a lot poorer than the North African countries thus, in order to not get overrun by the Africans to the south SOME people have had to become xenophobic. The same as the divide between Mexico and the USA. In the end you should seperate the common person on the street from those who are more educated or at least more worldly. I don't think the divide is that great and any divide is more economics than anything else. In the end I believe that there is not more trade due to poverty in both regions but, with more growth that will change.

well you have some points, economics is a big factor but the xenophobic feeling you said north Africans have I feel maybe due to race to a extent as well
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jul 10, 2012
Algeria for example is meant to be in North Africa but it's more inclined to doing business with Sub-Saharan African countries than the Arabs...And the same goes for the old Libya under Ghaddafi... Algerians most times don't even see themselves as Arabs - they're call themselves Berbers.

If there was really a divide, then Chad, Eritrea, Somalia, Djibouti, and to lesser extent Ethiopia need to be classified as North Africans.....
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jul 10, 2012
The write-up should be thrown in the trash can..

Countries in Africa and around the world will always to do business with whoever they feel like doing business with...

Sudan is in "Sub-Saharan" Africa - yet they are more inclined towards Middle-East...

Algeria/Old Libya/Western Sahara/Cape Verde are in North Africa - yet they're more inclined towards the rest of Africa...

These pseudo-intellectuals just write crap just to continue their divide and conquer tactics against a continent working towards integration...

The new AU is all about integration around the continent - and Algeria played a big role in that by donating a $10billion towards the creation of ADB..
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by SmoothCrim: 9:31pm On Jul 10, 2012
In the end the next step for Africa is to solve the problems between regions. For example the ECOWAS region should resolve its issues, the Arab Maghreb Union should resolve it's issues, the East African community etc etc. When these regions get strong then, you can start trading between regions for the benefit. In reality there is no such thing as Sub-Saharan Africa and within this fake region are numerous regions. The next step for Africa once again is strengthening sub regions in order to bring real development. Now, the sub-regions have issues like problems that exist between Algeria and Morocco and even Nigeria and Ghana to a lesser extent. Thus, if not done properly everything could be back to step one.
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jul 10, 2012
SmoothCrim: In the end the next step for Africa is to solve the problems between regions. For example the ECOWAS region should resolve its issues, the Arab Maghreb Union should resolve it's issues, the East African community etc etc. When these regions get strong then, you can start trading between regions for the benefit. [size=18pt]In reality there is no such thing as Sub-Saharan Africa and within this fake region are numerous regions.[/size] The next step for Africa once again is strengthening sub regions in order to bring real development. Now, the sub-regions have issues like problems that exist between Algeria and Morocco and even Nigeria and Ghana to a lesser extent. Thus, if not done properly everything could be back to step one.

Thank you!!

Sub-Saharan African is a fallacy - just as Middle-East, where they also have the gulf region..

Every country in Africa is different... We've francophone west africa that don't really care about ECOWAS because they're France's proxies.. North Africa is also divided, and the same goes for both East and Southern African countries...
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by anonymous6(f): 10:17pm On Jul 10, 2012
shymmex: The write-up should be thrown in the trash can..

Countries in Africa and around the world will always to do business with whoever they feel like doing business with...

Sudan is in "Sub-Saharan" Africa - yet they are more inclined towards Middle-East...

Algeria/Old Libya/Western Sahara/Cape Verde are in North Africa - yet they're more inclined towards the rest of Africa...

These pseudo-intellectuals just write crap just to continue their divide and conquer tactics against a continent working towards integration...

The new AU is all about integration around the continent - and Algeria played a big role in that by donating a $10billion towards the creation of ADB..

LOL

you are right Sudan leans toward the middle east then sub-saharan africa but isn't that the biggest reason for the war there that cause the country to split because the oppressors which were in the north and muslim were more middle eastern inclined while the south of Sudan was more christian and black african. The darfur drama that happened there was sad
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jul 10, 2012
shymmex:

Thank you!!

Sub-Saharan African is a fallacy - just as Middle-East, where they also have the gulf region..

Every country in Africa is different... We've francophone west africa that don't really care about ECOWAS because they're France's proxies.. North Africa is also divided, and the same goes for both East and Southern African countries...

Yep, i once wrote this on a black American forum...And you should have saw the backlash by these Black Americans

They actually "take pride" in the subliminal racial segregation of This obvious derogatory classification.

The Term is a Joke, but explaining it to black people who like the idea of separation from The Northern Arab African World is pointless to even venture into.

Im surprised More Africans are not Offended by the term, nor do they even "bother" to "question" why such a bizarre geographical term was indoctrinated in the first place.

Understanding Subliminal Racism is deeply rooted in it's own Vagueness

"Sub"<---Saharan Africa. wink

sub [sʌb]
n
1. short for several words beginning with sub-, such as subaltern, subeditor, submarine, subordinate, subscription, substandard, substitute, and substratum (in photography)
2. (Business / Industrial Relations & HR Terms) Brit informal an advance payment of wages or salary Formal term subsistence allowance
vb subs, subbing, subbed
1. (intr) to serve as a substitute
2. (intr) Informal to act as a substitute (for)
3. (Business / Industrial Relations & HR Terms) Brit informal to grant or receive (an advance payment of wages or salary)
4. (Communication Arts / Journalism & Publishing) (tr) Informal short for subedit
5. (Miscellaneous Technologies / Photography) (tr) Photog to apply a substratum to (a film or plate base)

It's allot deeper than Geography.

~ cool ~
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by anonymous6(f): 10:24pm On Jul 10, 2012
shymmex:

Thank you!!

True francophone and English speaking west african countries don't really see each other eye to eye
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by anonymous6(f): 10:27pm On Jul 10, 2012
SmoothCrim: In the end the next step for Africa is to solve the problems between regions. For example the ECOWAS region should resolve its issues, the Arab Maghreb Union should resolve it's issues, the East African community etc etc. When these regions get strong then, you can start trading between regions for the benefit. In reality there is no such thing as Sub-Saharan Africa and within this fake region are numerous regions. The next step for Africa once again is strengthening sub regions in order to bring real development. Now, the sub-regions have issues like problems that exist between Algeria and Morocco and even Nigeria and Ghana to a lesser extent. Thus, if not done properly everything could be back to step one.

The first part is what I always have been saying for awhile now(other thread)
I wonder who started this sub-saharan africa and north africa actually?
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by anonymous6(f): 10:34pm On Jul 10, 2012
~Royal~:

Yep, i once wrote this on a black American forum...And you should have saw the backlash by these Black Americans

They actually "take pride" in the subliminal racial segregation of This obvious derogatory classification.

The Term is a Joke, but explaining it to black people who like the idea of separation from The Northern Arab African World is pointless to even venture into.

Im surprised More Africans are not Offended by the term, nor do they even "bother" to "question" why such a bizarre geographical term was indoctrinated in the first place.

sub [sʌb]
n
1. short for several words beginning with sub-, such as subaltern, subeditor, submarine, subordinate, subscription, substandard, substitute, and substratum (in photography)
2. (Business / Industrial Relations & HR Terms) Brit informal an advance payment of wages or salary Formal term subsistence allowance
vb subs, subbing, subbed
3. (Business / Industrial Relations & HR Terms) Brit informal to grant or receive (an advance payment of wages or salary)
4. (Communication Arts / Journalism & Publishing) (tr) Informal short for subedit
5. (Miscellaneous Technologies / Photography) (tr) Photog to apply a substratum to (a film or plate base)

~ cool ~

The bolded statement is the reason africans don't make a fuss about it, I don't think they ever thought about it that way to be honest, I can even admit I have had that thinking but I am thinking of it more now
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by SmoothCrim: 10:37pm On Jul 10, 2012
~Royal~:

sub [sʌb]
n
vb subs, subbing, subbed

~ cool ~

Yes, I am not that fond of the term either because it attempts to homogenize a diverse region. Either way technically if there is a Sub Saharan Africa should there not be a Supra-Saharan Africa grin grin grin grin grin

tongue

I get a lot more when one talks about regions within Africa than non existent regions.

1 Like

Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by tpia5: 11:27pm On Jul 10, 2012

Hmm, they only have that tiny strip above the sahara desert...

abeg free them- north africa is white while subsaharan africa is black.

which kind unity una dey find again?

outside of historical and academic research, i dont see the point.

1 Like

Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by Nobody: 2:04am On Jul 11, 2012
I believe the term "Sub Saharan African" is a stupid and inaccurate term. What about native blacks in north Africa? That are native to NA.

SSA is a ridiculous term.
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by anonymous6(f): 4:33am On Jul 11, 2012
KingMichael777: I believe the term "Sub Saharan African" is a stupid and inaccurate term. What about native blacks in north Africa? That are native to NA.

SSA is a ridiculous term.

True I don't agree with it but that name has been used to describe us so long, so people just got used to it
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 12, 2012
North Africans need to be kicked out of Africa, they're not indigenous to the continent, anyway. grin
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by anonymous6(f): 11:24pm On Jul 16, 2012
shymmex: North Africans need to be kicked out of Africa, they're not indigenous to the continent, anyway. grin

Amen
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jul 16, 2012
anonymous6:

Amen

It seems you don't like North Africans. grin
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by anonymous6(f): 11:34pm On Jul 16, 2012
shymmex:

It seems you don't like North Africans. grin

I have no problem with them but they(the ones of today) are middle easterns to me
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by BlackKenichi(m): 1:56pm On Sep 05, 2012
anonymous6:

I have no problem with them but they(the ones of today) are middle easterns to me
Exactly! F*** most of those or any other arabised c*nts.
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by anonymous6(f): 6:50pm On Sep 06, 2012
Black Kenichi:
Exactly! F*** most of those or any other arabised c*nts.

lol
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by pazienza(m): 2:35am On Sep 07, 2012
shymmex: North Africans need to be kicked out of Africa, they're not indigenous to the continent, anyway. grin

I can't wait for the day this will happen.
Re: The Divide Between North & Sub-Saharan Africa by somalia1: 7:47am On Sep 08, 2012
I wish their were a big desert separating SOMALIA, DJIBOUTI, ERITREA, ETHIOPIA from the negroids...same way their is a desert seprating ARABS from negroids

(1) (Reply)

Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? / Do Money Rituals Actually Work? / Can Someone Translate This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.