Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,828 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:44 AM

Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? (19625 Views)

12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future / What Is The Force That Keeps You Going As An Entrepreneur? / Nigerian Entrepreneurs Worth Admiring (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by kingodeya: 1:55pm On Jun 18, 2013
page9: well, I urge people telling their stories to go a little further by mentioning the industry or sector where they operate (not necessarily specific ) so they can encourage other people who might be thinking of venturing in similar or allied sector.

secondly, if the truth must be told, not everyone is actually cut-out for business. I say this based on everyday experience as an employer. Some graduates have impressive qualifications but are so unimaginative that you have to tell them everything to be done.

Therefore, before you take the plunge, get about 5 independent mentors who have been in self-employment for long to assess you objectively. You must also have passion and drive to beat successful entrepreneur . You either have the traits in you, which you can decide to develop over time or you learn about it and develop a "goat mentality " for success until you get it right because failure will surely visit you on the way. it is inevitable.

About my experiences, I started-off in business about 21yrs ago, then in my first year on campus.OAU-Ile-life. I made two units of suede shoes from a cobbler somewhere in Alagomeji-yaba, Lagos. And I realised each time I wear any of the shoes, people kept asking me where I got it from, I told them I made it, some were willing to drop money for me to get it for them.

Initially, I did it for free, but at a point, I turned it to biz, while going to campus, will use all my allowance and every money on me to buy different designs. Then I was buying a pair for N85 and selling for N150 then, it was a lot of money. Through out the session never had cause to ask for money from home. Then no gsm, only nitel. I used to call my younger brother to collect money on credit from my mother go to the cobbler, collect the shoes and bring to campus and I usually return the money immediately he showed up.

The issue then was, you could not pay to someone's account as it is done now.

After doing that for about 3yrs, we were sent home by the school authority over the June 12-Abacha imbroglio.

In 1994, after sitting at home for over a year due to the refusal of Abacha govt and ASUU, I decided to venture into pure water biz.

we started with 2 sealing machines borrowed from two friends. I also had some money saved from my campus biz totalling N16, 000 . That was about 18yrs ago, there was no automatic sealing machine then. Everyone then was using impulse sealing machine. Infact only 4 companies were producing pure water then and it was only in lagos. We were the fifth, within 3months of production, we had already hit net profit of N1million!!!

But shortly after that, the ASUU people resolved their problem and we had to go back to campus. I was tempted to abandon my university education but my parents would not hear of such so off I seatback to school. I had the challenge of getting a competent hand to manage the biz . I finally settled for a younger brother of a close friend. Within a month, the mismanaged the biz, the report I had was he went on spending spree, never showed up , andwhen he did, it would be to collect the money made for the day. That was how the business ended. It almost affected my academic study when I heard the news.

I hope I am not boring you all with my story?

Now, we are into oil and oil related industry, our factory is around Amuwo odofin industrial estate is worth over N200million now

I will continue when time permit . I have a meeting about now
so if i may ask .how to u monitor and manage ur finances?
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by page9(m): 5:38pm On Jul 20, 2013
All payment comes thru me. We have petty cash limit of 100k and no one gets any money without my approval.

I make use of technologies. I can pay and receive money in any currency and from any part of the world.

I have surveillance camera in my factory to monitor all activities.

We constantly observe loopholes and we strive to block it as soon as it is detected.

Is an on-going thing, it is a battle field where both parties try to out-smart each other.

3 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jul 20, 2013
If you think you cannot do it, then there is no need trying it.

The last 12 months i spent in the 4 walls of a banking institution was spent in apprehension, anxiety and curiousity.

I gave myself a date to exit the prison, note: that was how i now saw my work place. I nurtured passion to succeed in business. The hunger to be free consumed me. I spoke it out under my breath every minute.

One month to my set exit date, i left the institution and started cement business with two outlets at thesame time. I started off as a distributor and the cement market was lucrative at the time. Money started coming in. At first, it was less than my salary, but as the months passed by, income increased progressively. At a time income became thrice my salary then, there was a sudden crash in demand for cement. All these happened within a space of one year and six months of resigning my job.

At this time, your guy had bought land and built a boys squatter and fenced it with high walls. One of my shops came under threat of existence as my sales boy absconded with my money and partly customers' money. I closed it. When the cement glut fully set in, income from the second shop couldn't pay rent and salaries. I closed the second shop too. My sales girl was also helping herself from profits. All this while, i discovered that the income i made in cement business was tilted towards wholesale, buying and reselling in trucks. Maintaining shops was just a waste pipe due to high cost of rent, salary and staff infidelity.

''I cant be idle'', i told myself. I delved into transportation. I told two friends what i was about doing, they discouraged me saying it was a waste of time. That i wont make it. I told them that most people didnt make it because they did the wrong things. I also told them that if transportation was not lucrative, there wont be names like ''PEACE MASS'' and ''IFESINACHI''.

I started with one bus, i leaned back on my experience as a car owner. I went for first grade fairly used imported vehicles 'Tokunboh'. That was in January 2013, today, i already have 3 buses on the road. One airconditioned.

The airconditioned bus runs interstate while the other two run locally. My dear, my joy about transportation is that you see your money daily, people must travel and move about town.

With this assured form of income, you can make plans and set targets for the future. Unlike in cement business, where there could be a sudden change in demand and income could slide by more than 90% in less than 3 months. As i speak, am still being owed money for cement that has been sold for more than a year ago.

Finally, if i should engage in any business in future, transportation will still be number one. Slow and steady wins the race. !!!!
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jul 20, 2013
Da infamous: doing very good more brain work that's all

Lending credence to your statement. I also discovered that whenever i was engaged in a start up, i did engage in thinking than any other thing. I also go on market survey to find out what people who are already in the business are doing.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jul 20, 2013
lacasa: i dnt believe Enterpreneur is the word ϯo use in Nigeria especially.

Rather, i'd prefer Hustler be the keyword here

For u ϯo be an enterpreneur, u must αve d enabling environment, n 4 naija dat environment no just be am

Gettin d job security is the most ppractical option in our circumstance.

But, tђere is being "Risky" n tђere is being "Impractical".

The fact is, the top hustlers in ds country such as the Dangote's the Otedola's r nothing of Enterpreneurs but Hustlers with a stack of government/PDP backed concessions anϑ monopolistic policies †ђat favour their arenas.

Compared ϯo Enterpreneurs around the wworld like Mittal, Trump anϑ Vince Mcmahon, the line btw Hustlers anϑ Enterpreneurs is surely clear

You are clothed with a Recipe for failure, you dont belong here.

The difference between the rich and the poor is their thought pattern. You lack the thought pattern to become rich.

As a son of my father, i did not inherit even N1,000 from my father's estate except a first degree. Am doing well in business and you are here bathing yourself with impossibilities.

My fear for people like you, is that you refuse to help yourself and still refuse to be helped.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 20, 2013
Emokai: hmn! life! life! I worked 2 and half yrs wit a private firm b4 starting my business exactly 1yr ago. i now have 2 branches and a jeep within 1 yr. i've also employed 4 semi skilled labour. i wont rest until i've developed my business 2 d extent that i'll b able 2 employ skilled nd experienced labour. working 4 someone was like hell 2 me; i suffered every form of humiliation to d extent of loosing my self esteem. now i'm free. i'm now a Director.

Most bosses know how to identify entrepreneurs under them and kill their spirit. That was my greatest undoing in the bank too.

Truth is if you are a born entrepreneur, you will be unhappy working as an employee.

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jul 20, 2013
bigx:

Bankers or ex-bankers would be in the best position to explain.
Sometime last year, my Account Officer in GTB here who helped in opening my first corporate account when I was just an undergraduate actually called to ask what business I'm into as he was tired of the job & was planning to resign.
He's still there though, I guess they believe the reward for the effort expended isn't enough.

The Job is very tiring and time consuming. You work with the last strenght you have and you are not allowed to rest even if you feel like. 7am to 7pm, you are in thesame environment doing thesame thing. Nothing could be more boring...

I worked for 5years and went on vacation for only one month. Its equivalent to a prison sentence.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jul 20, 2013
bigx:

Nice, How do you get around the issue of getting honest and reliable people to manage your business? I'm having that problem right now, all the people I get are thieves, lazy, not motivated or just plain destroyers.

I have had a share of business destroyers too.

Now i spot them under 2days and disengage them immediately before any damage is done. They can erode your one year toil in one month.

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jul 20, 2013
question:
Thanks for sharing your story. This shows that telecoms is a gold mine.

TIME is of essence..

Did you notice where he said, ''am no longer in the telecoms business'' ?
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by brabus(m): 6:38am On Jul 21, 2013
I believe life is very simple. I work hard and produce something of value that people want and then ask a fair price for it then things usually work out. By doing this always, I keep getting repeat business. I don’t believe in violating this principle for a short term gain.

If only entrepreneurs can represent themselves and their opportunity in the right way then people will follow them. If we give more than we take, then people will reciprocate. Give it a trial!

I've always applied this principle and I've been successful in all the business I venture into in the past two decades.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Mettal: 10:13pm On Oct 21, 2013
okpara ugo:

I have had a share of business destroyers too.

Now i spot them under 2days and disengage them immediately before any damage is done. They can erode your one year toil in one month.
thats why entrepreneurs are sensitive and intelligent people, you learn the entrepreneurial trade and soon it spreads to your work and everyday life,people (the idiots you feed) simply thinks you are mean.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Mettal: 10:17pm On Oct 21, 2013
Lets motivate each other,we shoudn't allow this thread to die.Comment more,its not easy beign an entrepreneur who has to manage and deal with different human character.
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by yomexy2(m): 11:51am On Oct 22, 2013
page9: All payment comes thru me. We have petty cash limit of 100k and no one gets any money without my approval.

I make use of technologies. I can pay and receive money in any currency and from any part of the world.

I have surveillance camera in my factory to monitor all activities.

We constantly observe loopholes and we strive to block it as soon as it is detected.

Is an on-going thing, it is a battle field where both parties try to out-smart each other.

interesting...
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by BRIGHTSOLAR(m): 2:35pm On Oct 26, 2013
How Bright Biogas System Work

Bright Biogas Make Use Of A Relatively Simple, Well-Known, And Mature Technology. A Biogas System Comprises A Large Tank, Or Digester. Inside The Tank, Bacteria Work Symbiotically To Convert Organic Waste Into Methane Gas Through The Process Of Anaerobic Digestion.

Every Day, The User Of A Bright Biogas Feed The Bacteria Inside The Digester With Household By-Products Such As Market Waste, Kitchen Waste, And Manure From Livestock.

The Methane Gas Produced By The Bacteria Inside Bright Biogas Can Be Used For Cooking, Lighting, And Other Energy Needs.

Waste That Has Been Fully Digested Exits The Bright Biogas In The Form Of Organic Fertiliser And Is Good For Fish Meal
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by Nostradamus: 4:17pm On Jan 31, 2015
still a student with big dream to go into entrepreneurship soon,the campus is an ideal place for honing my skills
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by tony1980: 5:22pm On Jan 31, 2015
My Dear, is Almighty God
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by JauroS(m): 7:56pm On Jan 31, 2015
Hello All : Please we have mature broiler chickens available for sale in Abuja !! Please call Abdul at 08030704422

Retailers and Private Customers are welcome .

Price : 1500 per chicken

Possible Discount on Large orders
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by darocha1: 12:03am On Feb 01, 2015
Entrepreneurs are different from business men....a few stories have read are those of bizness guys
kudos to all anyway
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by tuslakoncept: 3:43am On Feb 01, 2015
Register your:
Business Enterprise/Venture
Limited Liability Company
Trustee:
NGO
Clubs/Societies/Association...
Church/Mosque etc.
Also pay your annual returns

Call 08180705560
WhatsApp 07031315222
BBM: 2A4E4D29
Lagos.

We can register your business home or abroad (valid Nigerian ID is required: National ID, NGN Intl. Passport, Driver's License or PVC)

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by acidtalk: 8:23pm On Jul 28, 2015
What is still keeping you guys going?
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by CharlyG1: 12:50pm On Aug 20, 2015
acidtalk:
What is still keeping you guys going?

What keeps us going is:

1. Passion to succeed (profit making)
2. Passion in that line of Business
3. Freedom & Work flexibilty (Being ur own boss)
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by annastacia15(f): 9:40am On Feb 19, 2016
I am a strong advocate of the theory that an employer's aim is not to enrich you but to give u just about enough to keep you wanting more.
Such was my case at my previous job, I was employed as an accountant but because I'm very passionate about making a name for myself anywhere I find myself, I took up sales and marketing in the firm and I helped the company make a lot of money during my stay there. I was supposed to earn a commission but somehow the company ended up not paying me and after a short while, I decided to leave.

I was depressed and didn't know what to do. I gathered my savings, this includes all the 2k I hide in jeans pocket, 4k in shoe boxes, everything I had and I decided to open a laundry initially. The USP for the laundry was drafted and I had a feeling that it would work.... I had to work within the limits of my budget, so I set out to find an office space, it was difficult considering that landlords nowadays want to charge 2million for a 4x4 room (pun intended).

After a large manhunt for space, I had to go back to the drawing board and calculate the rate of turnover if I would use that space for a laundry. I had always had a passion for hospitality/bar/restaurant business, so I drew up a business plan for a bar business. By my calculations it was pretty fair.

Not to bore you out, i got a shop, designed it myself, I must add here that it wasn't easy at all, after I paid the rent and bought some electronics (freezer,sound system et al) my money got finished, I was almost done with the place and I had no more money to continue, the items were just lying fallow, rats has even started eating the floater attached to the items. It was a bad bad period for me and i would cry everyday. finally God answered my prayers and the small side jobs (training marketing staffs for startups) began to yield fruits, I received payment and used it to complete the bar.

Today we make way more than what I used to earn per month every week from this small shop. I'm not one to live a luxury lifestyle so most people don't know. Many of my customers see me as a sales girl and my bar manager as the owner, it helps them relate well with me, I get to hear firsthand what their issue/concerns are and work expediently to resolve it. I'm barely there but when I am, I feel fulfilled

What keeps me going is the fact that if I could do all this when I was at my lowest, I can only imagine what I can do at my peak.

My advice to people like me: refuse to be idle! I mean absolutely refuse it, If I didn't offer trainings to startups at a token, when I actually did need money, I would have nothing to fall back to. I sold my experience and expertise for a very minute fee and it helped my business at the right time. I didn't stay down, I can't stop, I won't stop! I didn't let my former job get the best of me and I didn't let despair win. Have faith in yourself, say to urself everyday, I have done it already and it will be done and most of all PRAY!!!

If u are ever in Ikotun please feel free to visit us at THE OFFICE LOUNGE AND BAR at 2 Diffri Road, (church b/stop) Abaranje Ikotun Lagos.
We love all our customers!!!

The Office Lounge & Bar
.....here, you call the shots!

3 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by AreaFada2: 12:52pm On Feb 19, 2016
annastacia15:
I am a strong advocate of the theory that an employer's aim is not to enrich you but to give u just about enough to keep you wanting more.
Such was my case at my previous job, I was employed as an accountant but because I'm very passionate about making a name for myself anywhere I find myself, I took up sales and marketing in the firm and I helped the company make a lot of money during my stay there. I was supposed to earn a commission but somehow the company ended up not paying me and requested that I leave.

I was depressed and didn't know what to do. I gathered my savings, this includes all the 2k I hide in jeans pocket, 4k in shoe boxes, everything I had and I decided to open a laundry initially. The USP for the laundry was drafted and I had a feeling that it would work.... I had to work within the limits of my budget, so I set out to find an office space, it was difficult considering that landlords nowadays want to charge 2million for a 4x4 room (pun intended).

After a large manhunt for space, I had to go back to the drawing board and calculate the rate of turnover if I would use that space for a laundry. I had always had a passion for hospitality/bar/restaurant business, so I drew up a business plan for a bar business. By my calculations it was pretty fair.

Not to bore you out, i got a space, designed it myself, I must add here that it wasn't easy at all, after I paid the rent and bought some electronics (freezer,sound system et al) my money got finished, I was almost done with the place and I had no more money to continue, the items were just lying fallow, rats has even started eating the floater attached to the items. It was a bad bad period for me and i would cry everyday. finally God answered my prayers and the small side jobs (training marketing staffs for startups) began to yield fruits, I received payment and used it to complete the bar.

Today we make more more than what I used to earn per month every week. I'm not one to live a luxury lifestyle so most people don't know. Many of my customers see me as a sales girl and my bar manager as the owner, it helps them relate well with me, I get to hear firsthand what their issue/concerns are and work expediently to resolve it. I'm barely there but when I am, I feel fulfilled

What keeps me going is the fact that I can do all this when I was at my lowest, I can only imagine what I can do at my peak.

My advice to people like me: refuse to be idle! I mean absolutely refuse it, If I didn't offer trainings to startups at a token, when I actually did need money, I would have nothing to fall back to. I sold my experience and expertise for a very minute fee and it helped my business at the right time. I didn't stay down, I can't stop, I won't stop! I didn't let my former job get the best of me and I didn't let despair win. Have faith in yourself, say to urself everyday, I have done it already and it will be done and most of all PRAY!!!

If u are ever in Ikotun please feel free to visit us at THE OFFICE LOUNGE AND BAR at 2 Diffri Road, (church b/stop) Abaranje Ikotun Lagos.

Very inspiring Anna. Will sure come over for a drink some day, by God's grace.

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bamiistobi: 5:09pm On Sep 20, 2020
Survey for Business Owners (incentive within)

Hello smiley
My team is building tools to help grow your business! This 2 minutes survey seeks your insights based on your day to day experience as a store owner/operator. If you have any questions, please reach me- kedoxadesanya@yahoo.co.uk. Thanks.

The survey link: https://forms.gle/6X9gtnjTLdNKY5ao6
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by bamiistobi: 5:10pm On Sep 20, 2020
Survey for Business Owners (incentive within)

Hello smiley
My team is building tools to help grow your business! This 2 minutes survey seeks your insights based on your day to day experience as a store owner/operator. If you have any questions, please reach me- kedoxadesanya@yahoo.co.uk. Thanks.

The survey link: https://forms.gle/6X9gtnjTLdNKY5ao6
Re: Entrepreneurs What Has Kept You Going? by fancyto(m): 10:43pm On Jan 17, 2021
promote your business online with Google, LinkedIn , Facebook and instagram ads and get paying customers with ease.
Interested in our services?
Contact on directly via call or whatsapp 07064267811.
YOU can also visit our website www.digitalrocket.com.ng

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

UPDATED: How Any Dummy Can Make Money Writing Online. / How to Earn An Extra 45,000-95,000 Naira/month. / How To Start A Palm Oil Business In Nigeria(full Business Plan)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.