Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,941 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police (8279 Views)

Spanish Police Arrest 25 In 'nigeria Sex- Trafficking Ring' / Ghana Lottery 05/90 / MTN And Zain's Latest #100 Promo/lottery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by ambrosini593(m): 5:24pm On Jul 11, 2012
A Nigerian fraud ring which tricked some 500 people out of more than a million euros in a year by convincing them they had won the lottery has been busted by Spanish police.

In a case mirroring many others from recent years, police detained six people in Torrejon de Ardoz, near Madrid, and Malaga in southern Spain, on suspicion of working the fraud.

Police said the network fished for victims by mailing out letters, mainly to Italians, claiming the person had won a million euros but needed to advance 4,000 euros in administrative fees to claim the jackpot.

"In 2012 alone nearly 500 victims, mainly Italian citizens, handed over various sums of money," the police said about the network, which they had been investigating since late 2011.

In total, more than 600 people took the bait and called the number on the letter. At the other end a man in Malaga would explain how to proceed with the bank or postal money transfers.

The alleged fraudsters collected the money at the post office with the help of forged passports bearing internet photos of famous stars, including American singer Alicia Keys. The network then broke off all contact with the victim.

Police seized "800 Nigerian letters ready for posting, 700 envelopes, lists of possible victims" in their search, along with 100 photos destined for passport forgery.

At the time of the arrests in a building in Torrejon de Ardoz, some "tried to flee through the window after flushing a large quantity of drugs down the toilet," the police said, adding the network also trafficked narcotics.

The fraud is only the latest of its kind to hit Spain and other countries in recent years.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/9381764/Nigerian-lottery-fraud-ring-busted-by-Spanish-police.html
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by Andrew3(m): 2:19pm On Jul 12, 2012
Same old stories> we know. next news cool cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jul 12, 2012
All these 419 boys have ruined our already battered image.
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by Eltonluigi(m): 2:23pm On Jul 12, 2012
At least they'll get a fair trial.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by mkmyers45(m): 2:33pm On Jul 12, 2012
Not surprised.... undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by ozoneamani: 2:35pm On Jul 12, 2012
Billyonaire: All these 419 boys have ruined our already battered image.
. Amd then some Nigerian will start complaining that we are being deported. I think if you are a foreigner,you are suppose to adhere to the rules governing that land.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by Fhemmmy: 2:44pm On Jul 12, 2012
So many of them will be picked up soon by the American officials in Canada . . . Watch out for the news. . . Nigeria will be a better place, but our leaders too are the leaders of all these nonsense
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by ebamma(m): 3:01pm On Jul 12, 2012
nigeria,good people great nation

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by Fhemmmy: 3:04pm On Jul 12, 2012
ebamma: nigeria,good people great nation

Do you say great leader too?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by animari(f): 3:08pm On Jul 12, 2012
How do so many people believe that they won a lottery that they never entered? Our greed makes fools of us*

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by slimming: 3:15pm On Jul 12, 2012
why is it always Nigerians? These people are doing no good to the image of this country.
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by nagoma(m): 3:20pm On Jul 12, 2012
Are they Igbos ? Don't crucify me, I am only asking -yes or no answer will do.
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by ismhab(m): 3:24pm On Jul 12, 2012
Yahoo-Yahoo business.
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by IdiAmin2(m): 3:29pm On Jul 12, 2012
Who wants o bet? When their names are released, I can guarantee they will be from the EASTERN part.

I no mention any tribe oooo, before they come bash me. I just say EAST, it could be east Africa, East Timor, Eastern europe. East na east grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by kaiter: 3:33pm On Jul 12, 2012
I think if you are a foreigner,you are suppose to adhere to the rules governing that land.[img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by humblebee: 3:38pm On Jul 12, 2012
Idi-Amin:
Who wants o bet? When their names are released, I can guarantee they will be from the EASTERN part.

I no mention any tribe oooo, before they come bash me. I just say EAST, it could be east Africa, East Timor, Eastern europe. East na east grin grin grin

it's just dumb to make a statement like this... face the issue, NIgerians are Nigerians.. either eastern or western. idiot

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by nagoma(m): 3:54pm On Jul 12, 2012
humblebee:

it's just dumb to make a statement like this... face the issue, NIgerians are Nigerians.. either eastern or western. idiot

Or Boko Haram?
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by poweredcom(m): 3:56pm On Jul 12, 2012
No be today dem don dey busrt boiz for spain omo people still dey collect blocks stack dollz no be new tin jare crime pays but don't get caught
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by 195(f): 4:08pm On Jul 12, 2012
I want 2 do my own fraud inside aso rock

Pplease nairalanders help me
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by stagger: 4:14pm On Jul 12, 2012
why are people like this? What is so hard in doing a bit of legal work for your money? sad sad
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by hrhobi1(m): 4:23pm On Jul 12, 2012
I hope dem don invest here , cause na inside cooler dem see so .
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by rockafela(m): 4:39pm On Jul 12, 2012
Yahoooooooozeeeee!
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by Fhemmmy: 5:00pm On Jul 12, 2012
animari: How do so many people believe that they won a lottery that they never entered? Our greed makes fools of us*

Does that made it right?
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 12, 2012
Why is the target always the whites, the europeans because dey are greedy dumb fooools they no fit try am here na. Think think of our slogan Nigeria GOOD ppl GREAT nation. We r gud n gr8t in every field jare
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by pecopeco: 5:45pm On Jul 12, 2012
Nigeria Again shocked
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by ibrash600: 6:00pm On Jul 12, 2012
Idi-Amin:

which east do u tink?
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by mikeapollo: 6:04pm On Jul 12, 2012
I was expecting people to abuse/condemn the Spanish government the way they do if it had been S/Africa or Ghana that wanted to deport criminal Nigerians that are perpetuating fraud in those countries
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by BUSHMAN1: 6:08pm On Jul 12, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Does that made it right?
i would say yes, why would any one reap were they did not sow,they wanted something for nothing

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by BUSHMAN1: 6:11pm On Jul 12, 2012
and we are blaming the nigerian embassiess and nigerian goverment for not helping nigerians in foreign jails
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by ozoneamani: 7:03pm On Jul 12, 2012
dvdon: Why is the target always the whites, the europeans because dey are greedy dumb fooools they no fit try am here na. Think think of our slogan Nigeria GOOD ppl GREAT nation. We r gud n gr8t in every field jare
If you ve been opportuned to live in any part of Europe, you believe they invest alot in lotteries especially the aged and this what the unscrupulous guys base on and bait them like a fish to the hook. I believe Nigerians are better than this.
Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by francis247(m): 7:12pm On Jul 12, 2012
Idi-Amin:

LWKMD! Yes; they could even be from eastern Pluto.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Lottery Fraud Ring Busted By Spanish police by francis247(m): 7:34pm On Jul 12, 2012
They were scammed because of their greed. This can only happen to dumbos that fail to recognise the plain fact that money don't grow on trees. Btw why will I ask you for 400 euros 2 redeem 1m euros when I can simply deduct 5% of the amount and give you the rest if you truly won it in the first place.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mariya Dantata - Aliko Dangote's Daughter - Graduates From Coventry University / Lagos To Host Naija Brands Challenge 2022, Announces Star Prize / Street Trading, Hawking Still Banned In Lagos State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.