Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,789 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:38 PM

The Entrepreneur's Manual - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Entrepreneur's Manual (21727 Views)

The Entrepreneur: Who Delivers The Best Result With Online Product Marketing? / ANALYSED COST OF RUNNING A PURE WATER BUSINESS IN NIGERIA + START-UP MANUAL / The Entrepreneur's Mindset For Naija (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by acidtalk: 3:53pm On Jul 21, 2012
envee:

Yes, I have snapshots in hard and soft copies.

I love your idea about the online search, proposals and the legal aspects but that's gotta mean am taking a really huge leap...! (Its scary Sir).

I had even stopped painting for a whole year (2011) and counting cos I changed my career path into Maritime and Safety. However, starting as an entrepreneur in those fields is way too capital intensive n the jobs aren't coming either.

Let's not forget the gender factor which plays a rather annoying role in my line of work (wall designs).

I promise to give it another shot using your more sophisticated approach. I pray dis thread doesn't die anytime soon cos Lord knows I'll need help. I cannot do this alone.

Thank you for your timely response OP.

Please use your gender as an advantage.
believe it or not, people are likely to pay you more as a female than as a male.
Let your snap shots do the talking while you mouth do the billing.

now liosten to another one.
take your propsals to top eatery (headquaters), fashion designing home (top ones), boutique, spa and even lounge and hotels.

i believe at least one or two from each of those sectors will need your service.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by acidtalk: 3:57pm On Jul 21, 2012
mummy_A: Tanks F̶̲̅Õ̳͡я̅ d enlightment, A̶̲̥̅♏ in2 biz;sells of gift items like kitchen items and toys,wit low patronage. A̶̲̥̅♏ so confused,i don't knw wat †̥ do.

mummy goodday,
start taking your service to the door step of your customers.
what i mean is dont wait till they come to your shop, go and do agressive marketing at their door step.

Print out fliers and go distribute it to people.

I dont know your location but please target working class women and mums, go to estate (good locations.
I will give you more tips in a giffy.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by yamakuza: 4:03pm On Jul 21, 2012
envee:

I love your idea about the online search, proposals and the legal aspects but that's gotta mean am taking a really huge leap...! (Its scary Sir).

I had even stopped painting for a whole year (2011) and counting cos I changed my career path into Maritime and Safety. However, starting as an entrepreneur in those fields is way too capital intensive n the jobs aren't coming either.

Let's not forget the gender factor which plays a rather annoying role in my line of work (wall designs).

I promise to give it another shot using your more sophisticated approach. I pray dis thread doesn't die anytime soon cos Lord knows I'll need help. I cannot do this alone.

have you considered diversifying?

if you are good at painting walls, what do you think about decorating event venues (weddings, AGMs, etc)?

at least, if one aspect is not bringing in money, the other will.

you also get to meet people, network, exchange contacts, distribute your brochure, etc.

lastly, on the gender factor, have you considered taking on a male associate/partner, who might also double as a marketer?
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by acidtalk: 4:07pm On Jul 21, 2012
elimokhai: its every young mans dream to be an entrepreneur. This thread is so interesting, In 2005, after graduating from the UNI i ventured into entertainment business, I had a recording studio, with equipment worth 700k. I even had some upcoming artiste which were under my label, its like a family business, because the studio was located in my neighborhood where i grew up. I had a very big dream of selling an artiste under my label. After three years, i was still investing in the studio, changing equipment, beautification, yet nothing was coming in. The only sales made in four years was 50k. I had no other option than to quit, sold all my equipment. After then I have been dreaming BIGGER, tried writing few proposals, not sure it was well constructed though. Right now I am confuse, don't know what to venture into. I like to be my own boss. What do you advice? supplying computers, tablets, phones to companies. How do I go about it with a capital of NGN1Million?

Selling of computer gadgets will forever be in high demand.

I will advice you to first test the market before investing your entire 1million into the business.
have someone who can give you goods worth like N200,000 as a very good wholesale price, sell to people over a period of 3 months, by the time people know that is what you do and your prices are very good, you can now invest large sums in it.

you have a good business in sight.
also knowing Nigerians are technologically driven and also materialistic.
So people will always patronize you
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by envee(f): 4:22pm On Jul 21, 2012
acidtalk:

Please use your gender as an advantage.
believe it or not, people are likely to pay you more as a female than as a male.
Let your snap shots do the talking while you mouth do the billing.

now liosten to another one.
take your propsals to top eatery (headquaters), fashion designing home (top ones), boutique, spa and even lounge and hotels.

i believe at least one or two from each of those sectors will need your service.

Hmmmmm.......you totally got the whole idea.
These are the perfect places to design which should in turn get me more clients.

Thank you so much...started my online search already.
I'll keep you posted as work progresses.
Gracias Senor.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by envee(f): 4:37pm On Jul 21, 2012
yamakuza:

have you considered diversifying?

if you are good at painting walls, what do you think about decorating event venues (weddings, AGMs, etc)?

at least, if one aspect is not bringing in money, the other will.

you also get to meet people, network, exchange contacts, distribute your brochure, etc.

lastly, on the gender factor, have you considered taking on a male associate/partner, who might also double as a marketer?

Ur response is appreciated.

I have tried to diversify into getting contracts in Window treatments(curtains), furniture, sculptures, floor designs etc but the risks involved r quite high and it was too much for me to handle at the same time.

As regards the male associate/partner, have had numerous guys willing be my partner at a ridiculous profit sharing ratio which made me shun the idea.

I will work on your suggestions and when I do find one trustworthy enuf to work with, I'll definitely make a deal with him.

Thank you again for your contribution!
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by Sirniyeh(m): 5:11pm On Jul 21, 2012
Hello Madam,
As regard the printer and the printing press, when should I be expecting it as you promised? I sincerely need it very urgent. Today is local council election in my state, I therefore want to commence the production as soon as the winner sworn-in, so as to serve as the link between the local government and the people. So, pls, the urgency is the issue.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by Undabridge(m): 5:14pm On Jul 21, 2012
envee:

As Acidtalk had said you're sitting on a goldmine,I tout I shud add my little advice too in the sense that you shud try and look for boyz who are into painting of houses.You will always take them along whenever you have a job and you will teach them the necessary things they need to know in completing this wall designs.So after sometimes some of the boyz will leave while some will stay because they feel it's worth doing for the rest of their life.This makes it easier for you cos your own to supervise while they complete the whole painting and finishing of the walls.I hope this will help too cos you can't do this alone and also with acidtalk advice it will make a difference,Pls don't give up.

1 Like

Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by yamakuza: 5:33pm On Jul 21, 2012
envee:

Ur response is appreciated.

I have tried to diversify into getting contracts in Window treatments(curtains), furniture, sculptures, floor designs etc but the risks involved r quite high and it was too much for me to handle at the same time.

As regards the male associate/partner, have had numerous guys willing be my partner at a ridiculous profit sharing ratio which made me shun the idea.

I will work on your suggestions and when I do find one trustworthy enuf to work with, I'll definitely make a deal with him.

Thank you again for your contribution!

thats nice to know. but specifically, i meant party decorations. those are easy to get and not so risky.

envee: I have been into wall effects and designs for the past two years. My designs can be vibrant,colourful,happy,formal and even relaxing.
Sadly,its been really difficult to get clients for my designs. I even had a whole page on a newspaper last year featuring me and my past designs, it was shocking that every single caller via d article asked to be taught not to hire my services.
Now am beginning to get really worried,

I love what i do, its not capital intensive, its also really flexible and not monotonous in any way, i wanna go solo full time now that am out of sch but am having a huge problem in finding my market.
I just don't know what am not doing right, This is my biggest challenge!

i wanted to mention this earlier, but felt you might not like the option of teaching. unfortunately, this seems to be where the money lies, at least in this path. kindly reconsider.

lastly, before i go. it just occured to me that if you were say a distributor for say Berger Paints, your office/shop could serve as a meeting point for potential clients as they troop in to buy paints. even if they dont buy your paints, everyone in that area will refer people to you when they ask for painters. (think VISIBILITY).

i'm looking at cross-selling here. having a shop that provides a complementary service (furniture/paints/curtains,etc) and brings in daily revenue as well as providing a constant stream of customers you can sell your other services to.

2 Likes

Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by envee(f): 5:36pm On Jul 21, 2012
Undabridge:

As Acidtalk had said you're sitting on a goldmine,I tout I shud add my little advice too in the sense that you shud try and look for boyz who are into painting of houses.You will always take them along whenever you have a job and you will teach them the necessary things they need to know in completing this wall designs.So after sometimes some of the boyz will leave while some will stay because they feel it's worth doing for the rest of their life.This makes it easier for you cos your own to supervise while they complete the whole painting and finishing of the walls.I hope this will help too cos you can't do this alone and also with acidtalk advice it will make a difference,Pls don't give up.

Thank you for dropping in...

I do employ freelance labourers from the painters association whenever I have a job. They work on the background colours while I do the designs. I'd love to teach them but its almost impossible for the unskilled/semi-skilled to learn the designs due to its tricky and technical state hence, the major work load still falls on me.
If I can ever find graduates or high school levers willing to learn the designs and get dirty at work, it will be so much easier.

Thank you again for your contribution. I am indeed motivated to start over.

1 Like

Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by envee(f): 5:55pm On Jul 21, 2012
yamakuza:

thats nice to know. but specifically, i meant party decorations. those are easy to get and not so risky.

i wanted to mention this earlier, but felt you might not like the option of teaching. unfortunately, this seems to be where the money lies, at least in this path. kindly reconsider.

lastly, before i go. it just occured to me that if you were say a distributor for say Berger Paints, your office/shop could serve as a meeting point for potential clients as they troop in to buy paints. even if they dont buy your paints, everyone in that area will refer people to you when they ask for painters.

i'm looking at cross-selling here. having a shop that provides a complementary service (furniture/paints/curtains,etc) and brings in daily revenue as well as providing a constant stream of customers you can sell your other services to.

OMG.....U dug me out.! I actually forgot I wrote that a while ago.

Truth is; I have been a bit selfish to teach and that was really naïve on my part. I am older and wiser now I have to agree with your observation.
I totally like cross-selling concept 'tho I'v never tried it before. Its definitely a good idea since it will involve d sale of the materials that'll be required for my designs.

I am highly motivated already.
Thank you for your advices!

@Acidtalk: I can't thank you enough for this thread!
God bless you.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by Undabridge(m): 7:49pm On Jul 21, 2012
envee:

OMG.....U dug me out.! I actually forgot I wrote that a while ago.

Truth is; I have been a bit selfish to teach and that was really naïve on my part. I am older and wiser now I have to agree with your observation.
I totally like cross-selling concept 'tho I'v never tried it before. Its definitely a good idea since it will involve d sale of the materials that'll be required for my designs.

I am highly motivated already.
Thank you for your advices!

@Acidtalk: I can't thank you enough for this thread!
God bless you.

I know there are some of this category of people you stated that will are ready to learn from you.Also why not include your contact info here,it can be useful too.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by frankobaba(m): 9:37pm On Jul 21, 2012
@ all: Wow... Wow... and Wow.. Ever since the Inception of Forums into the world wide web, this is the BEST Thread i'v ever come accross in my life.

Thumbs up to the originator of this thread...and to all outstanding contributors therin, may d Good Lord expand our Coasts and Wealth of experiences as we all Share to Inspire one another in the spirit of Entrepreneurship.

Here's my little contribution for those of us who dare to Dream BIG but are confused on how to kick-start due Negative Ideas of colleagues,friends and family members alike . . .

"Never seek an advice from someone who doesn't even have an idea of where their life is heading to...nor those who dance to the Thorny and Crafty Beats of a BANDWAGON JUTE-BOX... Stand out TALL and be Positively Different in whatever u do, and d sky wld be ur starting point."

Once again, cheers to thread owner Acidtalk.

(i wld definatly share some personal biz challennges seeking advices frm y'all v-soon... God bless)

1 Like

Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by acidtalk: 12:44pm On Jul 22, 2012
@franckobaba,

Thanks for the acknowledgement. Its just our 2cents of trying to make Nigeria a better place.

Instead of attending endless seminars where the real issues aren't treated, we want to treat the real issue here.

Thanks to everyone who have also participated. Let's keep it going.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by VENUSS(f): 2:22pm On Jul 22, 2012
well done pple. good talk goin on here. another major issues that needs shedding light on: finance. wat of pple dat hav good busness idea but dnt have d capital to start. i for example have tins am passionate about: cooking,event decor and hair salon. as i write now one naira pass my power nd i have bin praying o. how do u advice i start. have a nice sunday.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by acidtalk: 4:24pm On Jul 22, 2012
VENUSS: well done pple. good talk goin on here. another major issues that needs shedding light on: finance. wat of pple dat hav good busness idea but dnt have d capital to start. i for example have tins am passionate about: cooking,event decor and hair salon. as i write now one naira pass my power nd i have bin praying o. how do u advice i start. have a nice sunday.

I will advice you first start up as an apprentice or employee in either of the above mentioned businesses.
What this will do is not only realize the nitty gritty of the business but it will also make you see clearer opportunities.

i.e when your bosses clients realize you are equally good, they might always seek for your home service.

Startup with merging with friends or families who have similar interest.

come to think of it, why dont you start a mobile hairdo businesss i.e prior to when you can afford to pay for a salaon or start by using your home/room.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by acidtalk: 11:06pm On Jul 23, 2012
Hello class.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by Undabridge(m): 8:07am On Jul 24, 2012
acidtalk: Hello class.

Good Morning
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by feelamong(m): 8:57am On Jul 25, 2012
Good One Acidtalk...

Been taking notes all the while ..Am a wine dealer but I have a wife who ios job seeking that is so academically inclined...she wants to become a lecturer in the Public health area and notin else..she does consults for people at times but this job comes sparingly....

I have told her to create a business model around her consulting but she is not that business inclined....she is so much an introvert....

I have also told her to set up a side business that will earn a few bucks for her as she keeps looking for the breakthru consulting job...how can one make her see reason in being business oriented, to go out and look for the consulting contracts/contacts?
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by acidtalk: 10:13am On Jul 25, 2012
feelamong: Good One Acidtalk...

Been taking notes all the while ..Am a wine dealer but I have a wife who ios job seeking that is so academically inclined...she wants to become a lecturer in the Public health area and notin else..she does consults for people at times but this job comes sparingly....

I have told her to create a business model around her consulting but she is not that business inclined....she is so much an introvert....

I have also told her to set up a side business that will earn a few bucks for her as she keeps looking for the breakthru consulting job...how can one make her see reason in being business oriented, to go out and look for the consulting contracts/contacts?

First and foremost, you can never force someone to do what they are not interested in.
But in the case of your wife i feel not that she doesnt want to make that step forward, she doesn't just know how to get started.

I will love to suggest a couple of books she can get.

if she enjoys reading please let me know as the books will definitely change her mind set forever.
all the best.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by feelamong(m): 11:33am On Jul 25, 2012
acidtalk:

First and foremost, you can never force someone to do what they are not interested in.
But in the case of your wife i feel not that she doesnt want to make that step forward, she doesn't just know how to get started.

I will love to suggest a couple of books she can get.

if she enjoys reading please let me know as the books will definitely change her mind set forever.
all the best.

Pls do suggest..I will gladly get them for her to read!!
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by dipotech: 12:12pm On Jul 25, 2012
Welldone acidtalk, the Lord will bless you for the thread.

I may not bea able to act on those points as i will now but i'm gaining from it because i can pass it acrosss to friends who care to work on the valuable advice.

Once again, i appreciate it.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by coolguyz(m): 1:24pm On Jul 25, 2012
@envee

i think i agree with those that believe you're sitting on a goldmine and its rally you not hving a way around selling your service well. utilise NL in advertising - use the event and fashion threads in selling what you van and upload a few of your works with contact details. of a 20 enquiries you'l get, 1 or 2 would be serious.

Anyways, i would like see your designs, maybe i might need your service for my home wink soonest.

best of luck!

1 Like

Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by envee(f): 4:31pm On Jul 25, 2012
Undabridge:

I know there are some of this category of people you stated that will are ready to learn from you.Also why not include your contact info here,it can be useful too.

I'll be glad to teach anyone who is interested.
Pls send an email to mojjiemiles@hotmail.com and I'll respond. Then we can plan ahead.

1 Like

Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by coolguyz(m): 5:02pm On Jul 25, 2012
@envee
yu have mail
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by envee(f): 5:06pm On Jul 25, 2012
coolguyz: @envee

i think i agree with those that believe you're sitting on a goldmine and its rally you not hving a way around selling your service well. utilise NL in advertising - use the event and fashion threads in selling what you van and upload a few of your works with contact details. of a 20 enquiries you'l get, 1 or 2 would be serious.

Anyways, i would like see your designs, maybe i might need your service for my home wink soonest.

best of luck!

Thanks a lot.
I'll work on that soonest.
As for the designs, I don't wanna derail this thread with the pictures so if u don't mind, pls send me an email and I'll forward some pictures to you.
mojjiemiles@hotmail.com

Will advertise in the other NL sections as suggested.

1 Like

Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by envee(f): 5:21pm On Jul 25, 2012
Edited
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by 2sexy(m): 5:29pm On Jul 25, 2012
BoboYekini: if businesses are folding up and downsizing like you say, what then is the point in starting a business? Against these odds?...
Well, i'm all for entreprenuership but not with all these popular choices that everybody seems to be mouthing nowadays, recharge cards, forex, all that generic internet business ish. If everybody get into it, surely the profit margin drops. So, why don't you advise about unusual, obscure, even unpopular businesses? Now that would be refreshing.
sorry to say this but seriously, you don't have the spirit of an entrepreneur. You want someone to spoon-feed you? And you seem to be after an easy route(though not obvious, but I can read between the line) you don't like internet business and that's where majority of you are making a big mistake. What is Google,facebook, yahoo,myspace,twitter, Hi5 all doing only? NA Akara them dey sell abi? Forget all those 'how to make money online blah blah blah' that you see on here. Internet business is way beyond all that.

Thank God I have finally graduated so I will have enough time, before going to my NYSC camp, to educate people here. I just hope that the mod does not delete my thread o o o.

And ummm... I need to get a new mtn modem so tiat can effectively carry out this.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by diehard(m): 5:57pm On Jul 25, 2012
[/quote]
Not allowing the business centreswithin government secretariats is even a gold mine for you getting a shop spAce just some few steps outside the gate of such places.

Don't forget people will always need to fill out one form or photocopy another while having dealins in such places.

If there's no place within the secretariate to do such, they will always be forced to come out for your service.

All the best.

Gee, Acidtalk thanks. That did not even occur to me. I will embark on this search ASAP. Am also getting encouraged the more, seeing all these people interested in running their lives just like i am.

[quote]
@ yamakuza.
Erm erm, hotels. lets see now, those places are attractive, especially if they are high-end hotels. problem is: likelihood of low business traffic in spots like that. But thanks still. And pls do not hesitate to share if you have something. thanks again.
Re: The Entrepreneur's Manual by 2sexy(m): 6:07pm On Jul 25, 2012
feelamong: Good One Acidtalk...

Great advice because consulting pays BIG if she does it rightly. Are currently in Lagos?

The blood of any business is marketing and advertising and I tell you, if you master these, you will always smile to the bank.

I would have given some pointers but I would prefer to do this with my laptop but unfortunately, a friend destroyed my modem.

Hopefully, I should get one soon.

BTW, Kudos to Acidtalk

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Unauthorised Bank Charges: How To Complain To The CBN (Very Simple) / How Cosmas Maduka Turned $1 Into Multimillion Dollar / Dollar Scarcity Stops Capital Repatriation By Investors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.