Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,028 members, 7,807,045 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:53 AM

The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History (18278 Views)

Africans must Reject White Man's Version Of Our History / Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) / I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by AndreUweh(m): 6:51pm On Jul 17, 2012
chipmunkey: There were no igbo slaves, neither were there any slaves from the middle belt. (nupe, igala and wherever). Very few slaves were traded from bonny before the slave ships relocated to Lagos/badagry where there was a much larger supply.
Are you just spreading falsehood or simply turning logic upside down. How on earth can you say that there were no Igbo slaves when in actual fact majority of the slaves sold in the bight of Biafra were of Igbo origin. Ho do you have Igbo in North America, HAITI and other West Indian nations?.
Even the Jaja you earlier mentioned was an Igboman originally from Amaigbo.
Incase you have not read it here, Nairalanders such as Ezeagu and Abagworo has at some point published the names of Igbo slaves sold to the Europeans from Bight of Biafra. They also published the names of their villages.
That thread still exist.

1 Like

Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by tpia5: 7:52pm On Jul 17, 2012
Ptolomeus:
Dear friend:
It is my understanding that possibly one of the most decimated (depleted) Yoruba kingdoms was that of Keto (Ketu). Some reports indicate that almost was destroyed in its entirety. You (or another brother) some information about it?

a lot of towns and villages were depleted.

ketu wasnt the only one.

1 Like

Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by tpia5: 7:56pm On Jul 17, 2012
Ptolomeus:

What you say is correct.
Of all the "waves" of Africans shipped to America, the Yoruba were possibly the last. Soon after, slavery was abolished almost tod America. This factor was helpful to many Yoruba could return to their land. In the case of other ethnic groups, only the offspring was the first African slaves. That fact led to many preferred to stay in America.
We are dealing with an extremely delicate and sensitive issue.
My respects to all

the "last" shipped by the english, not the portuguese.

the portuguese were shipping slaves from west africa long before britain shipped them to north america.
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by PhysicsQED(m): 7:59pm On Jul 17, 2012
Andre Uweh:
Are you just spreading falsehood or simply turning logic upside down.

He just hasn't read anything and is going off pure speculation.
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by Ptolomeus(m): 8:02pm On Jul 17, 2012
tpia@:

a lot of towns and villages were depleted.

ketu wasnt the only one.
Obviously no. Ketu was not alone.
But somehow I made mention of Ketu.
Did you know that in Ketu, they worshiped the Ossossi Orisa?
Did you know the basics of worship Ossossi disappeared in Africa until the arrival of returnees from Brazil?
That was one reason for my comment.
Obviously, I know that many cities were destroyed.
My respect!
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by Ptolomeus(m): 8:08pm On Jul 17, 2012
I insist
I think at the time did not give more importance to this address.
You can have interesting facts about some people who were enslaved.

http://es.scribd.com/doc/6120935/La-Ruta-Del-Esclavo

@Chipmunkey
Dear friend:
Thanks for your reply.
It is a pleasure to exchange information in a climate of respect.
Your information is extremely valuable.
Thank you very much for sharing!
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by tpia5: 9:06pm On Jul 17, 2012
PhysicsQED:

he's just trying to derail the thread.

i got him in a bit of a tight corner.

lol.
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by tpia5: 9:08pm On Jul 17, 2012
chipmunkey:
Below is a map of the old west Africa and i have shaded and boxed in the areas affected by slavery. (approximately)

seriously, you mean slaves werent taken from oyo.

lol.
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 17, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Andre Uweh:
Are you just spreading falsehood or simply turning logic upside down. How on earth can you say that there were no Igbo slaves when in actual fact majority of the slaves sold in the bight of Biafra were of Igbo origin. Ho do you have Igbo in North America, HAITI and other West Indian nations?.
Even the Jaja you earlier mentioned was an Igboman originally from Amaigbo.
Incase you have not read it here, Nairalanders such as Ezeagu and Abagworo has at some point published the names of Igbo slaves sold to the Europeans from Bight of Biafra. They also published the names of their villages.
That thread still exist.
I found this info on one of the Nairaland threads and i will like to point out some Salient facts.

Transatlantic slave trade

Paul Robeson was a multi-lingual American actor and writer whose father was of Igbo descent.
The transatlantic slave trade which took place between the 16th and late 19th century affected the Igbo heavily. Most Igbo slaves were taken from the Bight of Biafra (also known as the Bight of Bonny).This area included modern day southeastern Nigeria, Western Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and parts of Northern Gabon. Major trade ports for goods and slaves in the area included Bonny and Calabar Town. A large number of slaves from the Bight of Biafra would have been Igbo. Slaves were usually sold to Europeans by the Aro Confederacy who kidnapped or bought slaves from Igbo villages in the hinterland. About 15 percent of slaves were taken from the Bight of Biafra between 1650 and 1900, the third greatest percentage in the era of the transatlantic slave trade. Igbo slaves were known for being rebellious and having a high count of suicide in defiance of slavery. For still unknown reasons, Igbo women were highly sought after.

The Igbo in the Atlantic slave trade became one of the main ethnic groups enslaved in the era lasting between the 16th and late 19th century. Located near indigenous Igbo territory, the Bight of Biafra (also known as the Bight of Bonny),[1] became the principal area in obtaining Igbo slaves.[2] The Bights major slave trading ports were located in Bonny and Calabar; a large number of these slaves Igbo.[3][4] Slaves, kidnapped or bought from fellow Africans, were taken to Europe and the Americas by European slave traders.[5] An estimated 14.6% of slaves were taken from the Bight of Biafra between 1650 and 1900, the third greatest percentage in the era of the transatlantic slave trade.[6]
Igbo people in the Atlantic slave tradeWikipedia
Ethnic groups were fairly saturated in certain parts of the Americas because of planters preferences in certain African peoples.[7] The Igbo where dispersed to colonies such as Jamaica,[8] Cuba,[8] Hispaniola,[8] Barbados,[9] United States,[10] Belize,[11] Trinidad and Tobago[12] among others. Elements of Igbo culture can still be found in these places. In the United States the Igbo were found common in the state of Maryland and Virginia.

I did my little research on the Igbos during the slave trade.
Jubo Jubogha became involved in palm oil trading with Europeans. He started a trading post at Opobo Town, close to Ikot Abasi 4 miles southwest of the Opobo River. The European traders called him King Jaja. Jubo Jubogha was never on good terms with the Annang and the Ibibio to the east, as Jaja declared himself as the middle-man in palm Oil trading, thus asking them to stop trading directly with the European. This resulted in a war (Ikot Udo Obong War) between Jaja and the Annang and Ibuno people as recorded by Nair.[2] In 1887, he was deceived when he was told to go and negotiate with the Queen of England by the British and sent on exile to Saint Vincent in the West Indies.

As far back as the 16th century, Calabar had been a recognized international sea port, shipping out goods such as palm oil.[5] During the era of the Atlantic slave trade It subsequently became a major port in the transportation of African slaves. Most slave ships that transported slaves from Calabar were English, at around 85% of these ships being from Bristol and Liverpool merchants.[6] Old Calabar (Duke Town) and Creek Town, 10 miles northeast, were crucial towns in the trade of slaves in that era.[1] The first British warship to sail as far as Duke Town, where she captured seven Spanish and Portuguese slavers, may have been HMS Comus in 1815.[7]

The main ethnic group taken out of Calabar as slaves were the Igbo, from the neighboring Igbo land.[8] African-American writer and slave John Jea was from the area. There was also a small Mulatto community of merchants with links to missionary and other merchant colonies in Igboland and Lagos, and across the Atlantic to Britain's colonies in the Americas.

John Jea was born in Africa in 1773 near Calabar in the Bight of Biafra.[1] He was sold into slavery in New York with his family, where they worked for a Dutch couple, Oliver and Angelika Triehuen. After learning to read the Bible, he was freed and eventually embarked on a journey to Boston, New Orleans, South America, Holland, France, Germany, Ireland and England, where he worked as a preacher.

He later published his autobiography along with poems, thus being one of the first African-American poets to have written an autobiography.[2]

His autobiography was only rediscovered in 1983.

Here are my deductions.
1, Although Calabar was a Major shipping port, the major products traded there were legitimate products like Palm oil and King Jaja of Opobo facilitated that in liason with the Royal Niger Company.
2, IGBOS may have been traded as slaves but not in large quantities as other West Africans like the Ashanti Kingdom through El mina castle, Yorubas through Badagry. Both have slave relics to testify to that but none exists at the bight of BIAFRA. That goes to show you that eventhough Europeans registered their presence in Bonny and Calabar as early as the 16th century. They carried out mostly Trade in Oil and whatever else and not many slaves.
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by AndreUweh(m): 10:02pm On Jul 17, 2012
^^yOU ARE NOW LEARNING.
At first you lied that Ndigbo were not involved during the slave era.
Second, you refered Jaja of Opobo as Ijaw.
Now your claim is that Ndigbo were not sold in droves. The same Ezeagu and Abagworo have published figures in this same nairaland that highlights that Bight of Biafra and coast of Angola were the largest suppliers of slaves to the Europeans.
Boy, no need reading your posts because you are novice in this field. Why not look out for posts by those two nairalanders I mentioned in relation to slavery.

1 Like

Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jul 17, 2012
It would be nice if you can point me to those threads.
POINT OF CORRECTION, I'M NOT A BOY.
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jul 17, 2012
The slaves that were shipped through Badagry and Elmina Castle cannot even be quantified in figures as they were probably in hundreds of thousands. The fact that the Igbos were able to document the number of slaves shipped through Bonny points to the fact that they were not that many.
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by Africaman: 5:28pm On Jul 18, 2012
Ptolomeus:
Obviously no. Ketu was not alone.
But somehow I made mention of Ketu.
Did you know that in Ketu, they worshiped the Ossossi Orisa?
Did you know the basics of worship Ossossi disappeared in Africa until the arrival of returnees from Brazil?
That was one reason for my comment.
Obviously, I know that many cities were destroyed.
My respect!
Ketu was attacked many times by Dahomey, but ti was always rebuilt. Here is a link to the Ketu town, commune and arindissement in Benin republic on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A9tou,_Benin and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketu_(Benin)

Odabo

1 Like

Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by Revolva(m): 6:54pm On Jul 18, 2012
Andre Uweh: @the poster, your emphasis is only on the Yoruba recaptives. History tells us that not only yoruba groups were resettled in Lagos. Make it general please.
Igbos haha this guy is funny ooo na everywhere you must include ur tribe funny guy
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by london2lasgidi(m): 9:30pm On Jul 18, 2012
na wa ooo..
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by AndreUweh(m): 9:58pm On Jul 18, 2012
Revolva:
Igbos haha this guy is funny ooo na everywhere you must include ur tribe funny guy
london2lasgidi: na wa ooo..
Revolva:

The above threads are brainless. I said that other groups were resettled in Lagos. I did not jump to my group at the beginning.
What a shame that some people will starts some threads without sufficient knowledge of the thread only to allow others to deliberate on it.
It is very shameful.
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by Ptolomeus(m): 10:21pm On Jul 18, 2012
Africaman: Ketu was attacked many times by Dahomey, but ti was always rebuilt. Here is a link to the Ketu town, commune and arindissement in Benin republic on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A9tou,_Benin and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketu_(Benin)

Odabo

Mó jubá, dear friend:
Thanks for your input. It is very valuable!
I specifically cited the city of Ketu, because the Yoruba were the last African to arrive América, and that is what this thread.
Here (in these latitudes) mentions that the first wave of slaves would have been Angola, the last Yoruba. The slaves from Benin, were brought (in time) as a result of struggles with the Yoruba (Oyo).
My friend, I live thousands of kilometers from Nigeria. My interventions are based on studies that may have errors ... My only intention is to contribute what little I know. I love African history, but rather intend to teach but to learn.
In Brazil, says that the destruction of Ketu was so great that many religious traditions and cuturales newly recovered with the return of the descendants of slaves (ie information, this is not a pesonal opinion).
I thank you for your kindness and your greetings in Yoruba!
I'm at your service dear friend!
Mó dupé!
Sé alàáfia!

2 Likes

Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jul 18, 2012
Only people with very myopic view to life and human existence will always attribute and interpret everything around him with tribal & racist sentiments and such people in my opinion are less than a human being. They actually do not deserve to live because life and human existence transcends the physical and geographical locations that have been artificially created by man himself.

1 Like

Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by Revolva(m): 11:26pm On Jul 18, 2012
Andre Uweh:

The above threads are brainless. I said that other groups were resettled in Lagos. I did not jump to my group at the beginning.
What a shame that some people will starts some threads without sufficient knowledge of the thread only to allow others to deliberate on it.
It is very shameful.

You said it in ur post trying to merge igbos as a returnee slave that settled in lagos bros and you were proved wrong no vex I beg igbos no dey I beg ok oya sorry
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by AndreUweh(m): 7:04pm On Jul 23, 2012
For those of you who doubted me when I said that Eastern Nigeria produced the largest number of slaves to the Europeans, see figures

1 Like

Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jul 23, 2012
@Andre

It also depends on their destination. Yoruba slaves were sent to Haiti and Brazil in larger numbers than Igbo slaves.

As for that chart. . . .would SW Nigeria fall under West Africa? undecided
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jul 23, 2012
Andre_Uweh

Yoruba contributed slaves in all the other regions in West Africa, not just the Bight of Benin... A lot of the slaves shipped from Ghana and Senegal's slave ports were Yoruba people... And don't forget the Yoruba civil war (Kiriji war) which lasted for about 16 years, and most of the captives during the war were sold into slavery...

However, not all the slaves from Bight of Biafra (Bonny) were Igbos - other SE tribes were parts of the slaves shipped from there.

Don't make it a tribal thing - we're all here to learn from one another.
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jul 23, 2012
Andre_Uweh

Why do you like posting pictures of white people wearing African attires everywhere, don't you think you're exhibiting low self-esteem? grin
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jul 23, 2012
I want to create a thread about the Great Songhay Empire - make sure you post a comment there, Andre. grin
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by Ptolomeus(m): 9:49pm On Jul 23, 2012
tpia@:

the "last" shipped by the english, not the portuguese.

the portuguese were shipping slaves from west africa long before britain shipped them to north america.
Trade to South America was handled by Portuguese and English (mostly), also Dutch, and to a much smaller scale, for Spanish.
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by PhysicsQED(m): 4:11am On Jul 24, 2012
Ironic that some are arguing over which group was sold the most as a roundabout way of arguing about influence.
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by AndreUweh(m): 11:49pm On Jul 24, 2012
PhysicsQED: Ironic that some are arguing over which group was sold the most as a roundabout way of arguing about influence.
My post was just to cancel out lies said here that Ndigbo were not sold in large numbers.
It is very interesting to note that Aros kept records of their dealings with the Europeans. Some Aros even travelled with the whites and slaves to the new world.

1 Like

Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by AndreUweh(m): 11:57pm On Jul 24, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
@Andre

It also depends on their destination. Yoruba slaves were sent to Haiti and Brazil in larger numbers than Igbo slaves.

As for that chart. . . .would SW Nigeria fall under West Africa? undecided

In Brazil, yes more Yorubas but in Haiti, more Ndigbo were sent there. Till date, they have maintained touch with Igboland.
Even in their songs, they still sing about their departure from Igboland to the new world. Are you surprised that Haiti recognised Biafra and even sent delegates to Ojukwu's burial.
Do you know what Ohanaeze contributed to Haiti during the natural disaster that struck the Carribean nation.
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by AndreUweh(m): 12:03am On Jul 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9ADfEyh7PQ

In this video, Haitians singing about their original nation-Igboland.
Igbo lere is about Igboland and their village in Igboland before they departed to the new world. Does any one know where is Elele in Igboland?.

1 Like

Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by Nobody: 1:18am On Jul 25, 2012
Andre Uweh:

In Brazil, yes more Yorubas but in Haiti, more Ndigbo were sent there. Till date, they have maintained touch with Igboland.
Even in their songs, they still sing about their departure from Igboland to the new world. Are you surprised that Haiti recognised Biafra and even sent delegates to Ojukwu's burial.
Do you know what Ohanaeze contributed to Haiti during the natural disaster that struck the Carribean nation.

Haitians are more culturally similar to Yorubas. . . .even in song and religion.
Hiati recognied Biafra because they saw Biafra as a group of suffering ppl fighting for freedom, just like Haiti did. Cameroon also supported Biafra, no? If Biafra or Arewa wants to break away today, it's more likely that South Sudan will support their cause.
Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by AndreUweh(m): 12:01pm On Jul 25, 2012
^^^^
Why did you not watch the video I provided?. Anyway, go back to it and see Haitians singing about their Igbo origin. One country it is certain Yorubas are very prominent is Brazil (Bahia).
To the best of my knowledge, Afenifere did nothing to the Haitians when earthquake hit the small island not long ago, but Ohanaeze did.
Not all the slaves settled in HAITI are of Igbo origin but majority are.

1 Like

Re: The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History by Ptolomeus(m): 5:04pm On Jul 26, 2012
To the best of my knowledge, there is a majority Yoruba in Bahia. The cult of "Candomble", has three major components:
1. The so-called "Ketu" or Nago (Orissa)
2. Angola (Nkisse)
3. Gege (Vodun)

In the case of Cuba, the predominant religion is "Santeria" (Orisa) with great content syncretic.

In Uruguay, dominates the so-called "Batuque" which is adapted from the original cult Yoruba (Orisa).

In Haiti, regardless of the ethnic majority, the Vodun cult is dominant, but is extremely mixed with Yoruba Orisa.
A Haitian legend tells that the time of the revolution for independence, the dead rising from their graves to fight for independence. This situation alarmed the colonists, who associated this fact with the voodoo cult, and a potion that kept people cataleptic state ...
I hope my comment is helpful.
My respects.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What's So Special About Male Children? / What Is The History Behind The Gorgeous [edo] Bini's Hair Beads? / Photos From 2017 Aba Festival Igara, Edo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.