Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:33 PM

Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? (21776 Views)

Kids Drinking Dry Gin In Lagos (Photo) / Does Friso Gold Rice Cereal Purge / Domestic Benefits Of The Dry Season (harmattan) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by smartmom(f): 7:26pm On Jul 12, 2012
When my friend eyed the ogi being fed my niece and expressed her disgust, I decided to educate her on the qualities of ogi versus the tinned cereal she feeds her baby, what with all brouhaha of expired imported tinned food. I need parents in the house to contribute here.
Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by Akpunwa(f): 7:45am On Jul 13, 2012
I beg to disagree. You don't need to call them expired If you don't like them. Unless the ogi (which I assume is pap) is WELL ENRICHED. Otherwise, you can't compare plain pap with cereal that has been fortified with all the nutrients needed to meet a baby's RDA.

3 Likes

Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by smartmom(f): 7:02pm On Jul 14, 2012
Akpunwa: I beg to disagree. You don't need to call them expired If you don't like them. Unless the ogi (which I assume is pap) is WELL ENRICHED. Otherwise, you can't compare plain pap with cereal that has been fortified with all the nutrients needed to meet a baby's RDA.
My pediatrician warned me about the manner in which all kinds of preservatives and addictive s are added to cereals and how some importers 'wipe'off the real BB dates and alter them and I took my cue from that. Of course the pap is fully enriched with the best of foods ie crayfish, soya beans and milk. Matter of fact, its a combination of 3 cereals, ground rice, guinea corn and beniseed and I assure you its all fresh and a higher grade then any synthetic 'fortified nutrients'in any cereal.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by enaye1(f): 6:15pm On Jul 15, 2012
This quite interesting to find this here. I was asked to check out some responses in a forum for parents recently. I heard all kinds and am glad to hear a bit different view here. Parents are really trying o! @smartmom, where do u find the time to prepare all this detailed ogi? are u a full time mom?
I hear similar stories to urs here http://www.nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/topic,65.0.html

Well done sha, me I shall stick to tinned cereal for convenience sake

1 Like

Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by smartmom(f): 6:35pm On Jul 15, 2012
enaye1: This quite interesting to find this here. I was asked to check out some responses in a forum for parents recently. I heard all kinds and am glad to hear a bit different view here. Parents are really trying o! @smartmom, where do u find the time to prepare all this detailed ogi? are u a full time mom?
I hear similar stories to urs here http://www.nigerianparentsforum.com/index.php/topic,65.0.html

Well done sha, me I shall stick to tinned cereal for convenience sake
I run my own business but I assure you even if I am an employee, I would still do thesame, my child's diet is important to me. He only gets to be a baby once and the foundation of his health starts now. Besides making ogi with all the ingridients isnt such a task really. I make a quantity that last for about a month once it is refrigerated and once a day I make the amount he will take and keep it warm or microwave when he wants to feed. I add the milk just before he feeds viola!

2 Likes

Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by Akpunwa(f): 5:40pm On Jul 16, 2012
What are we saying? That you are adding milk is the same fortification. Afterall, it is 'milk solids' that is used to enrich the dry cereal. There is no preservative...at least in the ones I use.
I love soyabeans too and use it as well. I assure you there is nothing wrong with canned baby cereals. I wouldn't say I disagree with what your Paedo said cos businessmen are mean. I rely on reputable products (cereals & formula alike) and not just any fancy product in the market. Moreover I do not buy if the tin is not in good condition or there is mago mago on the print.
Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by Mumsluv: 1:08pm On Jul 17, 2012
Personally i dont take pap & dint give it to any of my kids & 90% of the kids i saw been fed with it were underweight especially those that claimed that they added crayfish, soya beans etc to enrich it. I used canned cereals for my children (nutrend and cerelac and later golden morn which are all from a known quality brand (nestle) and it worked wonderfully for all of them and it is readily available & dont stay long on the shelf before they are sold off. This eliminates the problem of expired products. Its when we tend to be adventurous with foreign products that have no ready market that we encounter expired products that the dates have been changed cos it has stayed too long on the shelf & the trader does not want to loose. But in the long run you give to your child what you feel is best for him/her.

3 Likes

Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by enaye1(f): 5:48pm On Jul 18, 2012
Akpunwa: I rely on reputable products (cereals & formula alike) and not just any fancy product in the market. Moreover I do not buy if the tin is not in good condition or there is mago mago on the print.
Hmm how would be certain there is no mago mago by the way? our marketers are very smart my sista. And I assure you all tinned food had preservation otherwise it wouldnt keep for a normal shelf life of 2 years and above.
Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by enaye1(f): 6:00pm On Jul 18, 2012
[quote author=Mumsluv]Personally i dont take pap & dint give it to any of my kids & 90% of the kids i saw been fed with it were underweight especially those that claimed that they added crayfish, soya beans etc to enrich it. I used canned cereals for my children (nutrend and cerelac and later golden morn which are all from a known quality brand (nestle) and it worked wonderfully for all of them and it is readily available & dont stay long on the shelf before they are sold off. This eliminates the problem of expired products. Its when we tend to be adventurous with foreign products that have no ready market that we encounter expired products that the dates have been changed cos it has stayed too long on the shelf & the trader does not want to loose. But in the long run you give to your child what you feel is best for him/her. [/quote]
I could post a picture of my baby here for you to convince you of his state of health. He is certified by his pediatrician as very healthy and on the heavy side. He is also very mentally sharp and exhibits great psycho motor skills beyond his age with clear skin and eyes. He does not lack for anything. Yes this may sound boastful but going by his performance, I can confidently recommend his type of food to any parent.

1 Like

Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by PrettyCindy(f): 10:11am On Jul 19, 2012
I will go for enriched pap (dawa/akamu + soya beans + formula) anytime anyday. I bought cerelac cereal for my baby but i just hate the sandy/garry-like texture. Even after mixing well with water, it still looks like soaked garri. God! I hate it. The one tin i bought is just there, my baby doesn‘t like it. He prefers pap due to its smooth creamy texture.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by Nobody: 10:29am On Jul 19, 2012
I don't do pap, never liked the taste or composition. And my children go from milk to baby rice / cereals, to regular food which we eat ourselves.
Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by Akpunwa(f): 5:23pm On Jul 19, 2012
[quote author=PrettyCindy]I bought cerelac cereal for my baby but i just hate the sandy/garry-like texture. Even after mixing well with water, it still looks like soaked garri. God! I hate it.

lol at soaked garri. Well that's something for his pearly whites to munch on. My baby didn't like it too, I had to chew on half the contents to finish it. In case you want to try cereals again, Friso Gold Rice is wonderful.

@Enaye, you can see mago mago if u look out for it o. Remember they are mutilating something that was factory-written so it's never so clean the real deal. But then, the reputable products do not stay long on the shelf for anyone to try altering the date.
On the preservatives, the cereals are dry already and the formula mixed with it is dry too, so I don't think there's need for them....at least I have not seen any on the contente list (for the ones I use anyway).
Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by horny4u(f): 8:53pm On Jul 19, 2012
More parents should research nutrition. I don't eat cereal but I drink Ogi atleast once a week. I am not one to argue about nutrition but I will say a child nutrition is not about convenience but information and I will definitely choose Ogi that has been fortified with God's own nutrients compared to its sophisticated Kellogg well packed to look cool and packed with man made nutrients that our cells can not recognise.

If one loses the chance to build their child's brain and body because of adverts and endorsements then one can only blame their self.

Funny that I am watching panorama on sports drinks and co telling me what I have always known.

P.S water is rarely advertised but cocacola is ....one is healthy and the other is not.

Please feed your child with what you deem fit.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by smartmom(f): 5:41pm On Jul 20, 2012
@Enayi1, thot u said u were sticking to tinned cereal wink didnt know u were speaking tongue-in-cheek, wld love to see dat baby's pic to compare notes with mine, is she/he as fine as mine?
Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by yengi: 3:26pm On Sep 06, 2014
smartmom:
My pediatrician warned me about the manner in which all kinds of preservatives and addictive s are added to cereals and how some importers 'wipe'off the real BB dates and alter them and I took my cue from that. Of course the pap is fully enriched with the best of foods ie crayfish, soya beans and milk. Matter of fact, its a combination of 3 cereals, ground rice, guinea corn and beniseed and I assure you its all fresh and a higher grade then any synthetic 'fortified nutrients'in any cereal.
Please I would like to know how you prepared the meal with the three cereals and was it baby milk or regular milk u added...
My baby has refused to take baby milk or corn based ogi
I would appreciate a reply thanks
Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by smartmom(f): 12:48pm On Dec 02, 2014
yengi:

Please I would like to know how you prepared the meal with the three cereals and was it baby milk or regular milk u added...
My baby has refused to take baby milk or corn based ogi
I would appreciate a reply thanks

Heyyy, trust you saw the reply in your inbox? Hope you were successful and your baby is thriving?
Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by FINA4804(f): 11:06am On Dec 03, 2014
Good mothers una welldone , for me any one you give wether ogi or canned cereal they are all nutritous like I will always say it depends on the mother. As far as you take proper care of the baby you enrich the pap with other things such as soyabeans, crayfish, baby formula and the others the baby will be very healthy. Then for canned cereal they are also nutritous forget the preservatives, me I don't do pap my baby takes all kind of cerael, yougurts, , purees, she is very healthy and smart she is just ayear three months, she sings peoms , even our devotion songs and she has not started school, we are all suprised so you will also see a baby that takes pap and can do all these things even more. About buying fake it is we Nigerians that do the fake, but before you buy any food look well like someone has said even baby formula they do fake it alot for example the common SMA but when you look well you will surely know. So no matter the food they are all good just use the one your spirit leads you to use. And above all its God that keeps these children Healthier for us....

2 Likes

Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by diamondspooky: 11:55am On Mar 05, 2015
gud mothers plz i need help wats d best cereal to give a 5mnt old baby plz
Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by Bucacious: 11:30am On May 06, 2015
though I was fed with all the canned cereal and all what not but I refuse to feed my baby with them. if u read online u will discover its best to prepare ur own baby's food urself especially wen they can take semi solid. go to wholesome babyfood and u will learn lots on how to prepare ur own cereal and puree for ur baby. my bany is 5months and I she enjoys her enriched ogi mote than cereal though I made the cereal myself. she is just so intelligent, strong and healthy for her age. she isnt on the heavy side cos neither I or hubby is big so I dont see how my duta will just be fat. I planned adding well prepared homemade pureed rice and chicken for her with other homemade food from six months. all the same, feed ur baby wat soothes u but as for me, its a no no to canned food or fruits.

1 Like

Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by smartmom(f): 11:43am On May 06, 2015
Bucacious:
though I was fed with all the canned cereal and all what not but I refuse to feed my baby with them. if u read online u will discover its best to prepare ur own baby's food urself especially wen they can take semi solid. go to wholesome babyfood and u will learn lots on how to prepare ur own cereal and puree for ur baby. my bany is 5months and I she enjoys her enriched ogi mote than cereal though I made the cereal myself. she is just so intelligent, strong and healthy for her age. she isnt on the heavy side cos neither I or hubby is big so I dont see how my duta will just be fat. I planned adding well prepared homemade pureed rice and chicken for her with other homemade food from six months. all the same, feed ur baby wat soothes u but as for me, its a no no to canned food or fruits.

Great mom, you chose well. Puree all food that you eat and if you baby takes it, you got the best deal. Puree carrots, peas and even chicken or fish into mashed yam and potato. My kids loved moimio enriched with fish and egg york and they thrived!
Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by missybol: 12:01pm On Nov 28, 2015
Hello smartmom, pls how did you make d fortified pap

smartmom:

Re: Which Is More Nutitional? Ogi Or Dry Canned Cereal? by smartmom(f): 9:45pm On Nov 28, 2015
missybol:

Hello smartmom, pls how did you make d fortified pap

Just soak the dry cereals for a brief while and blend! add the dry stuff like crayfish and milk before feeding. You can find more details in nigerianparentsforum.com under the infant feeding

(1) (Reply)

Marginalisation: Women Playing The Victim Cards / Couple Welcomes Quadruplets In Jos After 7 Years Of Marriage (Photos) / Mother Admits She Killed Her Three Disabled Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.