Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,709 members, 7,802,140 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

The burning cold - Literature (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The burning cold (47194 Views)

Story:lost In A Cold World(an Emotional Story) / Jos, December And Cold. / UNYIME-IVY KING – “burning Hurt” Akwa Ibom’s Bestfemale Literary Fiction Writer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The burning cold by ijebabe: 11:15pm On Dec 28, 2012
Dayum!
Are they Unilag or IMSU girls? I see problems with Peter and Bunmi o! grin grin
Re: The burning cold by dubem3(m): 11:38pm On Dec 28, 2012
*thinking of applying to be a reaper*
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 1:01am On Dec 29, 2012
dubem3: *thinking of applying to be a reaper*
dnt challenge me. I don apply already o.
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 1:01am On Dec 29, 2012
dnt challenge me. I don apply already o. And na i person dey admit nt once
Re: The burning cold by dubem3(m): 6:30am On Dec 29, 2012
Damex333: dnt challenge me. I don apply already o. And na i person dey admit nt once
Them never even employ you, you don become HR
How you take know say na one person?
Abeg make una see me see wahala ooh
Re: The burning cold by bolakale30(m): 6:45am On Dec 29, 2012
ijebabe: Dayum!
Are they Unilag or IMSU girls? I see problems with Peter and Bunmi o! grin grin
Lwkm !! Hope u aren't alluding coolval and Bolakale's thread ?

1 Like

Re: The burning cold by Fishoy(f): 2:47pm On Dec 29, 2012
bolakale30:
Lwkm !! Hope u aren't alluding coolval and Bolakale's thread ?
lol u guys r funny......@ mynd gr8 job bt i cnt hlp noticin dat its been 5months nw u strted dis story hope it ends soon*winks*
Re: The burning cold by Oluwafunmilayo95(f): 3:50pm On Dec 29, 2012
Damex333: dnt challenge me. I don apply already o.

see wetin poverty dey cause grin grin grin
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 6:06pm On Dec 29, 2012
Oluwafunmilayo95:

tell lie say u sef neva eye d work. grin
Re: The burning cold by Oluwafunmilayo95(f): 7:46pm On Dec 29, 2012
Damex333: tell lie say u sef neva eye d work. grin
You know what?

You no dey far from the truth oh grin grin grin
Re: The burning cold by prettiest1(f): 1:32pm On Dec 31, 2012
Oluwafunmilayo95: You know what?

gal, no be only uooo. dey pay too tight.

@ Op are they not recruiting people??
Re: The burning cold by dubem3(m): 8:15pm On Dec 31, 2012
Oluwafunmilayo95:

I blame you?
Make I no fine money abi?
You Wey no poor, oya pass out round nah
Re: The burning cold by dubem3(m): 8:16pm On Dec 31, 2012
Oluwafunmilayo95: You know what?

cheesygringrin
Re: The burning cold by Oluwafunmilayo95(f): 8:28pm On Dec 31, 2012
dubem3:
I blame you?
Make I no fine money abi?
You Wey no poor, oya pass out round nah
prettiest1:

gal, no be only uooo. dey pay too tight.

@ Op are they not recruiting people??

Omo no be small thing oh..
..man must wack nah...grin grin grin
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 11:12am On Jan 01, 2013
Oluwafunmilayo95:

Omo no be small thing oh..
..man human must wack nah...;
did i see u write man,it sud be human cos u sef no be man grin
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 2:28am On Jan 02, 2013
Someone said this story is taking too long so I will try to summarise as from now on.

NOT!!!!!!!tonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetonguetongue
Re: The burning cold by dubem3(m): 6:53am On Jan 02, 2013
Oga just respect yourself well well
Who is some one?
Na person name be that?
Guy bring it on the way you feel it
Somebody can go and write her own short stories
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 6:27am On Jan 03, 2013
My first thought was to go to the bank and report it but I realised that it was saturday, i thoughts ran back to what Toba said about my pay and I thought "could this money be my pay?" I went back to my phone to make sure that I read the message right and it showed that I did. It was my name and account except thet the time of payment was almost immediately I reaped that poor soul.

I grabbed a pair of jeans(that is all I wear) and went out of my door. My neighnours were in the compound washing and going about their regular chores and I headed to the bacnk with my ATM card to make sure I was not dreaming.

I got to the bank and saw that the money I saw was true and it was mine. I went back home still a little confused not about what the money was doing in my account anymore but what I was going to do with all that money. I deleted the SMS from my phone quickly cos Bunmi might start going through my phone and I was not in the mood to start explaining anything to any girl.

These sequence of events played out all throught my University days. For the whole 5 years I spent in school studying Mechanical Engineering, I reaped and got paid handsomely for it too. Their were days that I pitied the poor sob losing his/her life but i was not my call and I had a job to do.

My days in school was fun, as I got to be one of the richest guys on campus with a nice car, I did not fail my exams beause my Boss took care of it for me, all I had to do was show up in the examination hall to mark the attendance.

Bunmi, passed out of school before me and left my life when she graduated and that hurted me. The most hurtful part was that althought we never admitted to one another, we liked each other but we lived as friends. She maintained her room and was not with any other guy and I did same even though we both had invitations from other individuals.

Toba's visits got less frequent and eventually, I stopped seeing him as my powers and skills grew. I even learn the act of multi-reaping when I had to collect 20 souls from the scene of an accident. I went through, operating rooms, to fights, to crime scenes and all forms of crap.

When I graduated from school, I had thought I would be left in that state but my boss had other plans for me.

While I waited for my NYSC letter, most of my friends went around the system to bet the state they want as it was better according to them to serve in a state you are familiar with bUt I could not be disturbed, what can happen to me? I have a Boss who takes care of his own. The postings came out and I was left out. The letter from the NYSC said I had been excused for service and I could get on with my life.

That same day, I was instructed to go back home to where I came from by my Boss. the same place I grew up in but a different location. I was to set up there and be the reaper for that area. It happened that the reaper there was old and he had to die and who else but to reap his soul but the person who was about to take his job.

I got the notice a week before he was supposed to die and the night NYSC postings came out. I took my time before going back as I stayed back to say goodbye to friends and when the old reaper had 4 days left I decided to travel back.

I gave out almost everything in my room, handed the keys over to my landlord and took the few clothes I wanted home. I did not go home with a bus because I had gotten used of transporting myself, I rarely went anywhere with buses. Just a blink and I found myself in our old kitchen.

My bag behind me and the old smell of the kitchen came to me once. I smiled as old memories came running back to me. Since I got into school, I did not come back as I got so busy with work, it was hard to schedule anytime to go back to see mum even thought we spoke on the phone a lot.

My plan that afternoon was to suprise here with my presence and i started walking out of the kitchen. I saw mum in the sitting room watching TV. I was sneaking up on her with the aim of seeing how jumpy she was and a voice rang out in the room. I had not heard that voice in a long time and it was suprising and at the same time sweet

"If you actually think you can suprise me, then you have been smoking something bad"

she sis not say it in my head but she spoke out still not looking in my direction. I stopped in my path as she got up and turned to face me.

"Welcome home son"

1 Like

Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jan 03, 2013
Come mynd no let me vex o,why u con summarize d university days,she d some[b]one[/b] voice love pass all of us 4 here wey dey enjoy ur story bit by bit wey u dey give us. Oya tell us d university days wit details jor.
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 12:38pm On Jan 03, 2013
Damex333: Come mynd no let me vex o,why u con summarize d university days,she d some[b]one[/b] voice love pass all of us 4 here wey dey enjoy ur story bit by bit wey u dey give us. Oya tell us d university days wit details jor.
They don't relate to the story bro. The past was just to tell you how he got powerful sort of the introduction. I am still in the past sef
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jan 03, 2013
^^^ ok o. Make I just keep my yansh crossed. Keep it coming man.
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 2:47pm On Jan 03, 2013
brokoto: ^^^ ok o. Make I just keep my yansh crossed. Keep it coming man.
I was already begining to get stuck in his past as though that is the story sef
Re: The burning cold by ijebabe: 2:56pm On Jan 03, 2013
Yup you were, I want the present! cheesy
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jan 03, 2013
Mynd_44:
They don't relate to the story bro. The past was just to tell you how he got powerful sort of the introduction. I am still in the past sef
okay u no talk b4, give us d tory now,and let continue d tory.
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 10:11am On Jan 08, 2013
She gave me a very tight hug and held me as though she had not seen me in a very long time and I held her too. It felt natural hugging mum now since the arms of the last woman I was with was on mainly physical. She pulled back looked at me and hugged me again.

“Mum I have not been gone that long, besides we have always communicated and you are here treating me as if I just came back from the dead or something”

She looked at me with those eyes of hers and gave me another hug.

“You have not been long son, but nothing compares to the love of a mother to her child and I missed you a lot. I missed you so much, sometimes I felt like moving in with you”

I was happy to see her but this sudden show of emotions made me uncomfortable as I had grown to become a near heartless human being. I had seen people die in grand scales. Kids, adults and the aged. They all seemed normal to me and I thought nothing could move me anymore but seeing mum like this made me remember when the witches came at me in the gathering and she came to my rescue.

“Sometimes ma, I felt the same way but I had to go to school and work is getting very serious”

At the mention of work, she pulled away a bit.

“Son, can we please leave the talk about your work and my activities outside the door?”

I looked at her puzzled wondering how she could ask such a thing.

“Why?” I asked pointedly, looking straight at her.

Her answer as usual had the same strength and calmness as when she answers all my previous questions

“The reason is simple son. We are workers of two different elementals living under the same roof. Sooner or later our paths will cross over something and while neither of us can stop the work of the other, it will be important that we learn to respect one another”

I saw the sense in what she said because she might be trying to help out someone I am trying to reap and that will definitely cause a lot of problems for the two of us.

“Sure mum, like a keep to your side of your room thing right?”

She nodded. “That might not sound right but this is still my house and I still command what goes on over here”

Her last word was not a suggestion, that was what she wanted and if I will live with her which I wanted to, I had to play to her by rules.

I smiled. “Yes ma’am. Let me go drop my bag and I will get back to you so you can let me in on the latest gossips from around here.”

I attempted to transport myself to my room when I discovered that I could not. It used to be easy to just vanish and go wherever but now I could not and then I discovered that mum was standing behind me, she held me on my shoulder while my back was still turned to her and she whispered

“The doors are made for a reason, and so are your legs. No one does that in this house except me or with my permission”

I turned back and saw her smiling, obviously she was enjoying the fact that she could control me even with the powers I had.

“Your policy did not really work you know. When I came to the kitchen, I transported myself there and you did not stop me”

She smiled, shook her head and turned around. She started walking towards the kitchen then stopped at the kitchen entrance and said;

“I knew you were coming and I could not wait to see you so I allowed you come in. if I had decided not to allow you, it would be too easy. Not even your Boss can force his way into my house, not even when I am absent. Now, go drop your bag and join me for lunch. I already prepared you favorite meal”

I walked into my room expecting to meet it in a really bad shape but I was surprised at what I saw. It was looking clean and everything was arranged. The bed was made already and it did not have that smell that is associated with rooms which are locked for a long time. This could only mean mum had cleaned the room recently and that also meant she knew I would be coming home so she prepared. That also explained why she was not surprised when I came in.

And here I was thinking I was strong! I just got involved in a power show without my knowledge and I lost without her even trying to win. I opened the closet and the smell of fragrance greeted me. Like every other thing, she had gone through everything to make sure I had a very good welcome home and it was great.
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 10:13am On Jan 08, 2013
I dropped my bag on the bed, took off my jacket and headed out to the living room to see Mom had already served food on the table.

A bowl of pounded yam and some really sweet smelling egusi soup garnished with loads of smoked fish and ponmo. I ate like I would not eat again and she just sat and watched me. Occasionally, she would look her eyes and focus on her iPad where she seemed to have found something of interest.

I started to ask her what was so interesting on the pad and even before the words left my mouth, she replied.

“First of all son, you should not talk while eating and second, I am monitoring the affairs of a family who have been in some kind of bondage. It is a long story and it is going to bore you if I try to explain so just finish up your food”

“I’m already filled anyway, thanks mum. I have not had this much and food this good in a long while”

She looked back into the tab and said, “Even better that what your girlfriend cooks for you?”
Re: The burning cold by prettiest1(f): 11:33am On Jan 08, 2013
This is good but try and be updating without staying for ages before another one could come or else na to send boys come your end.
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 12:02pm On Jan 08, 2013
prettiest1: This is good but try and be updating without staying for ages before another one could come or else na to send boys come your end.
Yes ma
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 12:02pm On Jan 08, 2013
prettiest1: This is good but try and be updating without staying for ages before another one could come or else na to send boys come your end.
Yes ma
Re: The burning cold by ijebabe: 1:55pm On Jan 08, 2013
Keep it coming Mynd. Can't wait to get his present mess grin
Re: The burning cold by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jan 08, 2013
Oga you don try sha o. Doing 2 stories simultaneously. Kudos!
Re: The burning cold by Mynd44: 8:20am On Jan 10, 2013
Okay update here now

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (22) (Reply)

Mercy Said No! - A Christian Romance Story / Blind Love / Love In A Circle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.