Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:19 AM

How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? (497993 Views)

Photo: This Is What Will Happen When A Litre Of PMS Is Sold For A N1000 / Fuel Is N120 Per Litre In Lagos Petrol Stations / Petrol @ 97 Naira Per Litre ( Petrol Saving Tips For Your Cars & Suvs ) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by adanny01(m): 3:31pm On Jul 14, 2014
I get about 24 mpg on 2003 Honda accord I4 2.4L Automatic gear. That translates to 10.2 Km/L combined Highway and city. I have not done highway different from city computations.

I get between 18-19 mpg on 2006 Toyota Prado I4 2.7L Manual gear full time 4x4. Translating to 7.65 - 8.1 Km/L combined. Testing this one correctly is a bit of a challenge for me because of its huge dual tank (90 + 90= 180L) and a faulty full gauge that sometimes tells a big lie! I have had the car stall on the highway while gauge is at a quarter only to lay flat after i turn the ignition off and on.
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by dokilolo: 3:27pm On Jan 04, 2015
I get 22 -24 miles per gallon on my 2003 Toyota camry 3.0L v6 xle when I travel but during city drive I only get between 14 -16mpg depending on my drive pattern.

1 Like

Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by 9icetoo(m): 9:14pm On Jan 04, 2015
FabulousAutos:
Lexus RX 300 - It consumes 3 liters per 100km. Got tired of draining my pocket so I got a 2.0ltr Toyota Picnic. Now I gladly spend 7.5 - 8 liters per 100km on the Picnic.

Found out lately through an auto diagnostic tool that 02 sensor for the Lexus is bad hence the horrible mileage.
Did you mean 30 litres per 100 kilometers? shocked

1 Like

Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by 9icetoo(m): 9:48pm On Jan 04, 2015
Honda city 1.5 litre engine with 42 litre capacity. Averaged 40 mpg on my last trip to and from lag.
However with a fully loaded boot (yams, cocoa yams, gallons of red oil etc) and three adults and and infant, same car averaged 10km per litre during this xmas trip. Covered 220kms with 21 litres. Route included lots of hill climbs though. Guess all the load bogged the engine down.

1 Like

Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by cliffemmy(m): 1:28pm On Sep 16, 2016
Go to the gas station and fill up the fuel tank. This may sting a little, but it is key to getting an accurate reading.
Image titled Calculate Your Car's Fuel Efficiency (MPG) Step 2
Record the mileage. Before even pulling away from the pump, write down your current mileage. We will call this Mileage A.
Image titled Calculate Your Car's Fuel Efficiency (MPG) Step 3
Drive normally. To get as accurate a reading as possible, drive until the tank is less than half full. The longer you can go before getting gas, the better.
Image titled Calculate Your Car's Fuel Efficiency (MPG) Step 4
Fill up the tank again. Try to use the same station using the same pump as the first fill up, as pumps may be calibrated differently. This time, pay attention to how many gallons it takes to fill up the tank. This is usually shown at the pump. We will call this Gallons.
Image titled Calculate Your Car's Fuel Efficiency (MPG) Step 5
Record the mileage again. This number we will call Mileage B.
Image titled Calculate Your Car's Fuel Efficiency (MPG) Step 6
Do the math. The formula for determining your MPG is this:
MPG = (Mileage B - Mileage A)÷Gallons.
Subtract Mileage A from Mileage B. This will give you the number of miles you drove since your last fill-up.
Divide your answer by the number of gallons (Gallons B) it took to fill up your tank. This will give you your car's MPG.

Method 2
Example

Let's say you have a new car and want to track its mileage:

Trip A: Added 8.663 gal at 3,117 mi
Trip B: Added 9.251 gal at 3,579 mi
Trip C: Added 8.876 gal at 4,017 mi

Method 3
Mileage Calculation Answers

Trip A: Baseline, does not count.
Trip B: (3,579 mi - 3,117 mi) / 9.251 gal = 49.9 mpg
Trip C: (4,017 mi - 3,579 mi) / 8.876 gal = 49.3 mpg

Method 4
Additional Accuracy

Image titled Calculate Your Car's Fuel Efficiency (MPG) Step 7
Verify your odometer. Not all cars reflect accurate odometer readings. This will not only incorrectly reflect the number of miles you've driven, it will also give you an inaccurate picture of your MPG.
Many freeways have "mileage check sections." They are stretches of road several miles or kilometers long, with mileage markers along the way. If one near you has this feature, use it. Otherwise, look on the map and find a stretch of road or freeway, and mark out an accurate 5 or 10 mile (or kilometer) distance.
Image titled Calculate Your Car's Fuel Efficiency (MPG) Step 8
Go to the first marker. Set your trip odometer to 0 as you pass the marker.
At the end of the run, note your trip odometer. An accurate odometer will reflect the distance you traveled.
If your odometer is higher than the distance traveled, your fuel efficiency will be better than you had calculated. You actually traveled further than you calculated with just the straight odometer reading. Conversely, if your odometer is lower than the actual distance traveled, your MPG is lower as well.
Image titled Calculate Your Car's Fuel Efficiency (MPG) Step 9
Calculate the offset. We will call the actual distance traveled "A," and the miles shown on the trip odometer "T". We'll call offset "O." The formula for determining the offset is:
O=A÷T.
For example, if you travel 5 miles, and your odometer says you've traveled 4-1/2, your formula would read:
O = 5÷4.5; O=1.11. To get your actual mileage for your MPG formula, you would subtract Mileage A from Mileage B as normal, then multiply the result by 1.11 before finishing your MPG calculation.
If Mileage B - Mileage A = 100, multiply by O (1.11). In this example, you actually traveled 111 miles.
If your odometer says you traveled 5-1/2 miles, your formula would read:
O=5÷5.5; O=.91. Again, you would multiply Mileage B - Mileage A by O.
If Mileage B - Mileage A = 100, multiply by O (0.91). In this example, you only traveled 91 miles.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by DanEmakoji(m): 3:03am On Nov 23, 2016
sergio:
My baby boy (2002 model) takes abt 1litre for every 5 -6km, that's quite high and I think sometin is wrong. Any help?

Check if your indomie pot is working. Your mechanic or panel beater can help you check that
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by bhlynks(m): 10:05pm On Apr 12, 2017
I deive a Peugeot 406 1996/1997 model. It consumes 1ltr per 10-11km for highway drive and 1ltr per 9-10km for city drive.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by Idowuengineer20(m): 9:17pm On Nov 02, 2017
Freiburger:

Thats not true, explain please.

A litre is almost 8km. Do d maths

NAIRALANDers in Plateau state ur expert is here on fixing any car:
1-engine block.
2-crank shafts etc.
The last place is here on the plateau.
Any time.
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by Idowuengineer20(m): 9:21pm On Nov 02, 2017
manox1:
i will just give a general informations, 4 cylinders cars carburetors will run 8 to 10 km/l , 4 cylinders cars injector will run 10 to 12 km/l.. than 6 cylinders cars carburetors will run 6 to 8 km/l ..than 6 cylinders cars injectors will run 7 to 9 km/l ...jeep and 4x4 will consume more , driving in high ways are different than city and traffic , and of course old cars which need injector calibration and CO calibrations will consume more...
excuse me for my English ( im french educated )..regards
U right man.

NAIRALANDers in Plateau state ur expert is here on fixing any car:
1-engine block.
2-crank shafts etc.
The last place is here on the plateau.
Any time
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by ray48: 7:47pm On Nov 20, 2017
dokilolo:
I get 22 -24 miles per gallon on my 2003 Toyota camry 3.0L v6 xle when I travel but during city drive I only get between 14 -16mpg depending on my drive pattern.

Almost same with me.
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by nakoks(m): 9:44am On Jan 17, 2018
W203 Mercedes Benz C200 kOMPRESSOR 1ltr of fuel does 13.5km

1 Like

Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by temmym4(m): 9:43pm On Jan 17, 2018
Primera '98 1.6L

In the City:
9 to 10KM per Litre depending on how much Hold-Up i encountered.

On the Highway:
About 15KM per Litre.

I actually checked the thread and found some lies and some errors. Bet why?

Even some converted their own fuel statistics in Miles and Gallons
Buying fuel in Litres is much more common here in our country so be realistic, calculate the amount of fuel your car actually use and stop posting what you see on other sites.

It is simple to know how many litres your car consume in Kilometers.
Saying you don't know or don't care doesn't make you smart. Bn Rich or having some little change in your pocket shouldn't make you unintelligent and ignorant. Be smart!

Know exactly where your fuel gauge is, preferably half tank or reserve, then fill up with a specific amount of fuel in Litres.
Immediately, set your odometer to 000 so it can start counting how many KM you have covered from that point onwards. (your Odometer should be on the dashboard, google your car model to find out)

Drive your vehicle till you use up the litres of fuel u bought i.e till your fuel guage is back to the position it was before u refill your Tank.

When you are done, check your odometer and see how many Kilometers you have used, then divide it with the amount of fuel you bought.

For example, If you buy 10L of fuel and at the end of the day you covered a total of 80KM before fuel guage returns to previous position, then you divide 80KM u covered by the 10L u bought. Which means your car does roughly 8KM for every 1 Litre

Make sure u don't drive aggressively throughout the hours/days you will use for the test in order to get a perfect result.

Also note that bad road, hold-ups, car health etc could contribute to increase in fuel usage.

7 Likes

Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by nairamaniac: 12:46pm On Oct 21, 2018
nakoks:
W203 Mercedes Benz C200 kOMPRESSOR 1ltr of fuel does 13.5km

You are very very right with this. I used this c200 for over 2months.

Walai, fuel doesn't reduce no matter how far you drive.

It was doing at worst 10km/litre of fuel.

I just switched to c240 v6 and I'm crying blood.

Its doing like 5km/litre at best.

I miss the c200 only for its fuel economy.
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by sacramento1212: 2:35pm On Oct 21, 2018
nairamaniac:

You are very very right with this. I used this c200 for over 2months.

Walai, fuel doesn't reduce no matter how far you drive.

It was doing at worst 10km/litre of fuel.

I just switched to c240 v6 and I'm crying blood.

Its doing like 5km/litre at best.

I miss the c200 only for its fuel economy.

Your C240 definitely has issues and once you resolve it, you will enjoy it. Even though the standard consumption wouldn't be like the C200 because they don't have the same engine spec but the difference won't be much whether for city or highway drive.

1 Like

Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by tetralogyfallot(m): 5:16am On Oct 22, 2018
Ford focus st 170
Fuel consumption economy (urban)= 12.4L/100km
Fuel consumption economy (extra urban)= 7.7L/100km
Fuel consumption economy (combined))= 8.8L/100km
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by onomee11: 1:52pm On Oct 17, 2019
Been following this thread for a while now, there are specifications. Most new cars.would state it in the dashboard
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by awetaiye2015: 6:41pm On Oct 17, 2019
Freiburger:
My rover 200 consumes about 5-5.5 liters of benzin/petrol for every 100km.

waoooo..thats wat we call fuel economy....
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by PaulH07: 6:54pm On Oct 01, 2020
gulfer:
Drive a montero sport as well, on a full tank with highway driving all through, i get about 350miles to a 17gallons tank (563.15km/68.04); IL/8.28km and that is fair enough.

Is it a v4/6 engine?
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by gulfer: 8:08pm On Oct 01, 2020
PaulH07:

Is it a v4/6 engine?
Monteros are V6, I had her for 8years, sold in 2018...Great vehicle, excellent MPG for a truck....... cool cool cool
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by PaulH07: 8:32pm On Oct 01, 2020
gulfer:
Monteros are V6, I had her for 8years, sold in 2018...Great vehicle, excellent MPG for a truck....... cool cool cool

Nice one. How many litres would take me 175km on a v6 Honda accord 03 by the way?
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:00am On Oct 02, 2020
hardbody:
How do i even start to calculate the consumption. ok lets see....on a full tank, my montero takes me to benin and would have gone down to near half tank. You work that out yourself.

My huyndai takes me to owerri on full tank and then i refill. I hope this helps

Near half? Near Half as in less than half 11o'clock or 1 o'clock to Full?

What was your average speed?

All my cars make 11 0'clock to Empty at Benin.
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:04am On Oct 02, 2020
FlyboyZee:
My EOD - Honda Accord EX 2003/2004 Model, I4 Engine with a 2.4l Capacity usually consumes exactly half tank from Yenegoa to Benin. I usually fill the tank to the brim, that is fill up the tank till I see the fuel in the pipe and drive with AC all the way. It has always been half thank both ways.

As for my 2002 Acura 3.2TL Type S with a V6 Engine capacity of 3.2l, I drove from Yenagoa to Uyo with half tank and also made the return journey on the same amount of fuel.

I can't really say what both cars consume exactly and I have never taken the time to note their tank volumes so I can't come up with any figures. But, if you know both cars and their fuel tank volumes and the distances covered as in Benin and Uyo, I think you can help out here or what do ya think?

I beat you there, my CRV made Warri to Calabar with half tank.

Same thing with my Ex Audi 80, Calabar to Agbor half tank.
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by Dtruthspeaker: 6:15am On Oct 02, 2020
Ivoo:
seems most of u are just driving with no idea of how far u can go wit certain litres of fuel. Let me help u out: causual driving like town service driving consumes 7kms to 8kms per litre while distant or long journey consumes the avearage of 12kms per litre. Some toyota cars can take u as afar as 15kms per litres. The reason is simple, when a car is firing on 5 speed at 100kms to 110kms per hour, that is when u get the maxium economy. At this level, combustion is complete. But when u speed up to 120/140kms per hour, u ll be consuming twice as much fuel than normal. At this point fuel economy is just about 6kms per litre. Try it and see. Make ur calculations wit the size of ur tank and the distant covered, u ll realise what i am saying. Thanks. If u find this tips important, send email to ivokingjur@yahoo.com for more inf.

Oh that explains why I always get half tank to Benin in all of my cars 120/140kph that is my play area.

Then when I am heading to Lagos which I know very well, 160kph enters the mix. Actually I am aiming for 180kph only that the road does not allow me, so I sleep on 160 till the road drives me out of it.
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by hardbody: 1:17pm On Oct 07, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Near half? Near Half as in less than half 11o'clock or 1 o'clock to Full?

More like 12.30pm...closer to 12pm

What was your average speed?....100 and 120km/h

When i use faster cars like my Avensis or use a more economical brand like the Prado the consumption is more effective.

All my cars make 11 0'clock to Empty at Benin.

My response is contained in the body of yours.
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by hardbody: 1:20pm On Oct 07, 2020
Dtruthspeaker:

Oh that explains why I always get half tank to Benin in all of my cars 120/140kph that is my play area.

Then when I am heading to Lagos which I know very well, 160kph enters the mix. Actually I am aiming for 180kph only that the road does not allow me, so I sleep on 160 till the road drives me out of it.

Ivoos explanation speaks to my experience.
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by Eddiefits: 7:20pm On Apr 23, 2021
My audi a4 2006 consume fuel too much..this is what d scan shows below
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by Eddiefits: 7:28pm On Apr 23, 2021
My audi a4 2006 consume fuel too much..this is what d scan shows below.. i dnt understand d meanin of "close loop, using at least one oxygen sensor but d is a fault in d feed back system

Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by vacettetommy(m): 12:32pm On Mar 02, 2022
Eddiefits:
My audi a4 2006 consume fuel too much..this is what d scan shows below.. i dnt understand d meanin of "close loop, using at least one oxygen sensor but d is a fault in d feed back system

are you able to resolve this issue
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by Cokahot: 5:37pm On Mar 02, 2022
Mine is 25mpg,but due to bad fuel it dropped to 20
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by MrHighSea: 5:03pm On Mar 04, 2022
On more a reasonable note, all things being equal, sound engine no hicuppz:

1 litre for every 10km (petrol engine) while for the diesel types supposed to be 1 litre for every 3km
3km for Diesel?
maybe typo
Diesel consumes less.
Re: How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? by Trustingod777: 2:31pm On Sep 05, 2022
My toyota sienna 2007 consumes 20 liters per 20km drive from egbeda to ikeja airport. No check engine on dashboard working perfectly but no catalyst  Please I need your advice to solve the problem

vacettetommy:

are you able to resolve this issue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Car Talk Chat Room / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / Maintenance Tips On Cars.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.