Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,049 members, 7,799,551 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:57 AM

Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! (14163 Views)

Poll: Whose side are you on?

Yoruba: 40% (47 votes)
Engish: 59% (70 votes)
This poll has ended

Group Condemns Appointment Of Non-Yoruba As NPA Boss. / I Regret Not Having A Yoruba As Speaker. Jonathan / S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by illusion2: 4:23pm On Dec 21, 2007
Whoever created the poll should kindly add a third option: COMMON SENSE
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by IykeD1(m): 4:45pm On Dec 21, 2007
This is purely counter-productive - I did not read the thread from the beginning but are they
re-writing the state's books in Yoruba as well? How about all official state's communications?
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by babasin(m): 4:52pm On Dec 21, 2007
This is purely counter-productive - I did not read the thread from the beginning but are they
re-writing the state's books in Yoruba as well? How about all official state's communications?

This will provide jobs for people that study 'Yoruba as modern language' and encourage others to study it too.

They will provide both Yoruba/English versions of all State Assembly communications, journals, news, books etc
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by Nobody: 11:28pm On Dec 21, 2007
maybe we have illiterates as reps grin
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by AkedeOba(m): 5:19pm On Feb 25, 2008
Please bring this discussion to the new Yorubaland web site at www.yorubaland.org
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by jimmyjam: 10:51pm On Mar 21, 2008
It is mandated by the federal govt in the constitution that english is the official language of elected officials and govt communication and this has been the case since independence. Reason for this is because nigeria is a federation and nation. Yoruba can only complement the current system and not replace it. Or do you want uneducated and unexposed people like Adededibu to be president? that will spell disaster !!!!!!!!!!
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by Eziachi: 1:13am On Mar 22, 2008
So much for one Nigeria? You lot make me laugh. So Babasin's argument is, if the assembly agree to pass it into law, so be it. I wondered if Babasin will take the same stance if all the houses of asemblies in Niger Delta, Imo or Abia decided to pass a law that said that every single drop of oil in their states should remain their's?

Mind you it was the Eastern region house of assembly that passed the law, declaring independent of Biafra from Nigeria and the likes of Babasin said: Over their dead body and went on a killing spree to stop it without any viable reason other than Nigeria must remain one as if it has ever been one before Lord lugard decided so! This kind of people will be the first to shout about one Nigeria but their actions and deed betrays their protestions. Our northern brothers recently adopted the same stance, when they told us that their assemblies adopted or passed into law, the acceptance sharia as their official law code despite their coats of one Nigeria and if the same apply to oil producing states, will they had accepted it too?

This people claims one Nigeria when it suits them, only when the booty that kept Nigeria one on paper is been shared among themselves. But when it come to other issues like sensitive governmental jobs, good road networks, infratructures, juicy appointments, they will forget that we are all one Nigeria. I personally don't have a problem with Yorubas doing something to protect their language but it can only happen the framework of a Yoruba as a nation, free enthity and not under one Nigeria which Yoruba itself is just a part. By the action of Lagos assembly, what they are saying is this land is ours and all of you lot remaining are bloody foreigners in their own country.

Look at the United Kingdom for example, how the Welsh can use their language in Welsh assembly instead of English. The reason being that, Wales is a country inside a union called Britain. As a country, they have their own national Anthem, Flag, Adminitrative Capital, Assembly, First minster (prime minister) National sports stadium, National sport teams/Colours, Coat of Arms, Unit Currency, Tax System, Judicial system etc. So it won't be bizzare if they adopt their Welsh language as an official language of business. But as far as one Nigeria advocates are concerned, there are no nation called Yorubaland.

If they had understood the idea behind Biafra, we can still today have Nigeria just as they have United Kingdom but we can still have independent nations of Oduduwa, Arewa, Niger Delta and Biafra just as they have independent nations of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. There would had been less fight on who should be president, VP, IG at the centre as everyone will be managing their own affairs and perculiar problems. A Nigeria president would had been just a ceremonial one while all the power of develpment reside with component independent nations.
The likes of Maurice Iwu, Andy Uba, Nzeribe etc would had been the problem for the Biafrans and also all the misrules of IBB, Abacha, Shagari and now Yar Adua would had been the headache for the Arewas. OBJ, Adedibu, Akala will now be a test for the Odua nation. And if Niger Delta decided to make kidnapping their means of livilehood or decide to kill themselves over their oil, let it be their business and will not hamper other progress.

There would had been positive competition among the nations on whom will be the first to have 24 hrs electricity, best hospitals, airports, schools, broadband internet, modern water supply and sewage system, rather what we got today is a scenario where everyone is cooked up in one pot in the name of one Nigeria by all means fighting undermining each other but will be the first to deny it or bury it. With One Nigeria, people spent all their times and energy sabotaging and plotting against each other's downfall. Where important Projects are sited not based on economic sound footing/sense but based on scoring cheap points, vengeance and revenge. That is why you can site an airport in Maiduguri or Okene where few economic activitiesa are happening than economic/industrial power houses cities like Onitsha, Aba or Nnewi where billions of naira worth of business are done every single day. That is why One Nigeria will not lose any sleep building possibly, a navy base in a desert if they can.

The Oduduwa people have the right to adopt their language and no one will ask any question. When most Yoruba fight against the Biafran idea with venom, indirectly, they are undoing themselves. Most Yorubas (not all of them) watch or supervised the northener's systematic destruction of Nigeria federation and replaced it wiht an unknown unitary system to justify/legalize their stealing/looting of southern crude oil. But today they are calling for a sovereign national conference but no one is listening. Today, they wanted the a revisitation toward regional/parliamentary governement that led to beautiful projects like first TV station in Africa in Ibadan, Universities of Ibadan, Ife, Cocoa House, Liberty stadium etc but their friends from the North are having non of it. June 12 needed to happened and Abiola and others need to be sacrificed in order for our Yoruba brothers to test power again through even the man they love to hate called OBJ.

If Biafra had succeeded, the glory of Lagos would never had been taken away from it to build artificial city called Abuja. National stadium Surulere will never had been replaced by another quick built in Abuja and Surulere one left to rot. Foreign missions, NTA, FRCN and so many uncountable things normally in Lagos lost through blind minded one Nigeria and thousands of job that left with them as well.

Every passing day, we are been vindicated.
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by Kobojunkie: 12:43pm On Mar 22, 2008
Lagos lawmakers join Obama campaign
By Waheed Bakare
Published: Friday, 21 Mar 2008

Thirty-two members of the Lagos State House of Assembly have joined the campaign train of the leading American Democrat presidential candidate, Senator Barack Obama.

The President of Obama Nigeria Initiative, Lagos, Mr. Adewumi Adelabu, said on Thursday in Lagos that the lawmakers formed the group to celebrate the beauty of American democracy and give support to the Kenyan-born democrat.

He said, “The Obama presidency is a beacon of hope, peace, unity and emancipation from the shackles of socio-economic and political impoverishment among the people of the world.

“When we launched the Obama Nigeria Initiatives, Lagos, we planned to register five million Nigerians that will rise and support the aspiration of this phenomenon. For us, the Obama presidency will redefine the way we look at the issues of international importance and the way it affects people’s lives across the globe.

“Thirty-two of 40 representatives in the Lagos State parliament, representing 80 per cent of the 18 million Lagosians have signed up in the first two days.”

Although he admitted that the concern of an average Nigeria were basically food, clothing and shelter, he said apart from the effect of globalisation, socio-political events in America would continue to affect the entire world.

“As representatives of the people, it is a treasured gift to be able to come to terms with the reality that change is coming to the world in terms of global politics and we are keeping abreast of events. We encourage all Nigerians both home and abroad to embark on mass mobilisation for the realisation of the Obama presidency,” Adelabu said.

He assured Nigerians that the initiative, which was personal, was taken because Obama had brought hope to the entire black race because of his performance in American politics.

Asked whether the lawmakers had got in touch with Obama, Adelabu said such move was unnecessary because the initiative was not meant to curry favour but to celebrate an African.

The lawmaker said, “Membership is open to all Nigerians in the country and in the Diaspora from politicians, intellectuals, businessmen, students, the working class and market men and women to the men on the streets who believe in the Obama touch as the tonic for a new world order.”

He urged Nigerians who had families that were naturalised Americans to appeal to them to vote for Obama.

For those who are willing to join the imitative, they were requested to log on to obamanigeria.org.

================================================================================================================

LMAO!!!
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by grafikdon: 2:47pm On Mar 22, 2008
I thought that was another yahoo yahoo to milk people dry, didn't know it was for real shocked shocked shocked But why? This is kinda racist, but black people probably won't see it that way. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by Kobojunkie: 2:57pm On Mar 22, 2008
grafikdon:

I thought that was another yahoo yahoo to milk people dry, didn't know it was for real shocked shocked shocked But why? This is kind of racist, but black people probably won't see it that way. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Black people racist?? Tufi akwa !!!!! a i ri ru e!!!
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by grafikdon: 3:24pm On Mar 22, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Black people racist?? Tufi akwa !!!!! a i ri ru e!!!

grin grin We are pretty much more racist since we see ourselves solely as the ones on the receiving end of racism. As a result we don't see the ugly racist lurking in the darkest corner of our mind. Look at Nairaland and the ridiculous 'tribal wars' where some people find it difficult to make their point without the insertion of inflammatory and derogatory lines against other 'tribes'. Some call it tribalism, I call it RACISM. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by Kobojunkie: 4:09pm On Mar 22, 2008
grafikdon:

grin grin We are pretty much more racist since we see ourselves solely as the ones on the receiving end of racism. As a result we don't see the ugly racist lurking in the darkest corner of our mind. Look at Nairaland and the ridiculous 'tribal wars' where some people find it difficult to make their point without the insertion of inflammatory and derogatory lines against other 'tribes'. Some call it tribalism, I call it RACISM. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

LMAO!!!
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by WesleyanA(f): 7:17pm On Mar 22, 2008
i don't think that's a smart move
state govt has different lang. from federal govt.
lagos is populated by many non-yorubas and i'm sure there are some non-yorubas in the assembly.

well if they can use english and yoruba. that will be cool
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by ono(m): 7:47pm On Mar 22, 2008
I don't think it's a wise thing to do. As a multi ligua society, we've got to stick with the language everyone understands. What do we plan to achive by using our local dialect? And in a state like Lagos, where we have practically all ethnic groups in the country residing, it's only wise for the lawmakers to use a means of communication that's well understood by all to effectively disseminate information.
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by bawomolo(m): 10:29pm On Mar 22, 2008
they should be more concerned with nigerian democracy than a country miles away
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by goodking1: 8:52am On May 19, 2008
i dont need a prophet to tell me that you have the good of this our 9ja at hart, but one thing i will let know is that, people like us are thinking on how we can give our best to the nation we belong, look, around you in lagos, maybe that's your home, where you always see children of the age of 8,9, and be 5,6 years and there about selling in good or bad weather just to have a living, some of them have no parent, you just think of it, dont you think you are better some people who have their million and they dont think of this ones in the night sleeping outside there in a cool ground. what i am trying to say is that, nigerians should try and think out something they can do 4themselves and to better the lives of the motherless and the homeless ones in the street. i will like to know you. godwinkng@yahoo.com /08060017462
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by goodking1: 8:59am On May 19, 2008
that's a borrowed one and it should be return back to the brithish, we our 9ja laguage, let come and borrow from us, that's how they came with their big, big english and trik us off our belongings.
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by goodking1: 9:12am On May 19, 2008
i'm not happy at all about the way things are happing, cant we give all our support to nafdac, power horse is coming deadly now you have to watch out for the Bleep ones coming into the market, some trallers where arested last week in lagos, i mean Bleep drinks produce our brothers wanting to kill us so that they can make money 4theselves, what is the nigerian doing about it? let me say this, if i'm to be the government, if anyone is cut with any Bleep product as of any type, let that person be put to death. by this they will all lean. some people will not lean ontill you teach them with actions. let us take our minds from peace to war against who are warring against us with their Bleep product in all over the markets in this country, the better we can start thinking of a good health in the states.
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by OsunAmazon: 9:59am On May 19, 2008
We are pretty much more racist since we see ourselves solely as the ones on the receiving end of racism. As a result we don't see the ugly racist lurking in the darkest corner of our mind. Look at Nairaland and the ridiculous 'tribal wars' where some people find it difficult to make their point without the insertion of inflammatory and derogatory lines against other 'tribes'. Some call it tribalism, I call it RACISM.

I just love every inch of this statement.
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by 1luvkipsus: 12:39pm On May 19, 2008
That doesn't concern me as long as they don't attempt to make it the official language of the National Assembly, because I know they will attempt that one day.
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by AljUche: 2:56am On Apr 15, 2011
sad sad sad sad
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by AljUche: 3:09am On Apr 15, 2011
well this is a very good development
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by fstranger3(m): 3:18am On Apr 15, 2011
^^^^

You just have to start another Yoruba-Igbo NL fight, isnt it?

Do you have a job at all
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by AljUche: 3:23am On Apr 15, 2011
fstranger3:

^^^^

You just have to start another Yoruba-Igbo NL fight, isnt it?

Do you have a job at all

and do you have a life at all

what is my business with igbo or yoruba grin

no i do not hav a job smiley
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by Ybutterfly: 8:06pm On Oct 12, 2011
^^^^^^^^I see nothing wrong with that, which I already knew because Lagos is Yoruba land, it belongs to Yoruba people, we make up two thirds to 80% of Lagos, which is rightfully so.
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by baysol: 8:25am On May 28, 2012
What is all these with challenging what a sovereign state decide to do? The problem with this retarded bigots from the east is that they are naturally unruly people. No wonder they have made so much enemies for themselves werever they go. This take over syndrome in Igbos have to be nipped in the bud. N
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by ikeyman00(m): 8:38am On May 28, 2012
^^^^ no thats a lie sir; while some are busy blowing themselves up; some block traffic to spend their last kobo dancing away their yeye self in owambe the igbos are working harder than ever to get better from 20 pounds given to them from ur silly oduduwa awo b astard

so as they go they get stalked by [size=28pt]envy[/size] im afraid

we could live with that b astard!
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by oyatz(m): 10:19pm On Jan 25, 2017
Wrong analogy. The LSHA didn't pass any law that only Yoruba language should be the medium of communication in Lagos State but rather adopt of the State to conduct it deliberation along the official language of Nigeria.
Welsh , Irish and Scot languages enjoy similar status in the UK.
Every thing shouldn't been seen from primordial tribal prisms

ono:
- babasin.

Ok. These are the things the Niger Delta States wants:

1. No communication on oil exploitation/expolration in any locality should be in English. It must be in the local dialect of the area. For example, if you're in the Ogoni area, you must speak Ogoni language in order for you to have access to the oil wells. If you're in Urhobo terrain, you must speak Urhobo before you can open any oil/gas tap in the area.

2. No oil should be taken from any of the Niger Delta lands without the consent of the local people of the area. All proceeds from oil/gas sales from any area must be accounted for and brought before the local council for due deliberation on how it must be shared.

I believe I'm speaking the mind of my Niger Delta brothers, rite? 
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by thedarksider: 10:27pm On Jan 25, 2017
about time...

we should make yoruba to official language of all black nations..
Re: Yoruba As Official Language Of Lagos House Of Assembly! by thedarksider: 10:30pm On Jan 25, 2017
ikeyman00:
^^^^ no thats a lie sir; while some are busy blowing themselves up; some block traffic to spend their last kobo dancing away their yeye self in owambe the igbos are working harder than ever to get better from 20 pounds given to them from ur silly oduduwa awo b astard

so as they go they get stalked by [size=28pt]envy[/size] im afraid

we could live with that b astard!

working hard by pushing drugs abroad,yes...

abegi park well..selling drugs is not a profession..

nobody is buying that igbo are most hardworking rubbish...

park well...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ayobo/ipaja Road Under Construction: Is Fashola Working Or Not? / David Mark Threatens Senator With Disciplinary Action / Exonerated Olabowale Ademola Returns As Lagos HOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.