Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,989 members, 7,806,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:53 AM

Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA (22701 Views)

New Plate Number And Driver's License / New Frsc Driver's License / Getting a Driver's License in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 14, 2012
AjanleKoko: I don't get this story.
I have been driving, and renting cars, in Europe and the US, with no issues, using the former license.

fresh air propaganda. end of.
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by henrychubayo: 4:08pm On Jul 14, 2012
Just like our E-passport was accepted and highly valued for its security wise, these new license will follow suit. Its a welcome development to have a highly value document or item in another country.
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by benlay(m): 4:24pm On Jul 14, 2012
MD will accept the DL if you have your driving records from FRCS and it's endorsed by the Nigeria High commision in Washington DC or any of the other two consulates in the US, when I tried to get my license in MD, thatz what they told me, even with this new one, they would most likely ask for same.
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by RichDad1(m): 5:41pm On Jul 14, 2012
Please which of the U S of A ?
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by mikey2fin: 5:54pm On Jul 14, 2012
License to kill. Business as usual, Bribe and you will be issued a License to kill. Nigeria SUCKS, but na my country
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by beamed: 6:06pm On Jul 14, 2012
nchewi: Sounds good!!! But, why do they issue driver's license to people who are literally blind n people who can't drive at all?
Tot, it would have been more appropriate 2 test people b4 issuing them a license.

Just completed the process of renewal at Ikeja. I was issued a temporary license pending the arrival of the real thing in 60days time. The procedure is quite simple. A noble idea no doubt but the problem is the people. Applicants still come to FRSC OFFICES with cash begging the officers to help them fill the online form and make payments. These applicants are therefore ready to cough out more because of their unwillingness to spare time and go through the process themselves. The only snag in this process is at the test center. Adequate infrastructures are not in place. Internet connectivity is poor meaning that applicants are unnecessarily delayed and may have to pay several visits in order to get the applications through. An applicant has had to release his ipad at one of the centers in order to aid the attending officer to do their job. At ikeja, power supply is a big issue. The small generator available is just small and old and it struggles to power the equipment. I even contemplated fetching my generator to fastrack my application when it was obvious to me that it is the generator that is wasting my time. In a nutshell I heave a sigh of relieve when finally my printout was handed over to me and I was proud I went through the process. I wrote an exam. I did eye examination. I was made to sit and watch a video of road signs and stuffs like that. New applicants were made to do a test drive. I saw a guy who failed the test and was ranting. Yet, a lot of people are looking for who to bribe in order to cut corners. Only if FRSC will be stern and do their job well. FG should provide them with good internet connectivity and reliable power supply. This is my honest take folks. NB: An officer offered to help me, I refused and told him I will go through the process. If I fail, so be it.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by beamed: 6:11pm On Jul 14, 2012
mikey2fin: License to kill. Business as usual, Bribe and you will be issued a License to kill. Nigeria SUCKS, but na my country

There you go, "bribe and you will be issued a license . . ." But why do you have to bribe. Please don't bribe folks. Just do it. Go through the process yourself.
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by beamed: 6:13pm On Jul 14, 2012
Just completed the process of renewal at Ikeja. I was issued a temporary license pending the arrival of the real thing in 60days time. The procedure is quite simple. A noble idea no doubt but the problem is the people. Applicants still come to FRSC OFFICES with cash begging the officers to help them fill the online form and make payments. These applicants are therefore ready to cough out more because of their unwillingness to spare time and go through the process themselves. The only snag in this process is at the test center. Adequate infrastructures are not in place. Internet connectivity is poor meaning that applicants are unnecessarily delayed and may have to pay several visits in order to get the applications through. An applicant has had to release his ipad at one of the centers in order to aid the attending officer to do their job. At ikeja, power supply is a big issue. The small generator available is just small and old and it struggles to power the equipment. I even contemplated fetching my generator to fastrack my application when it was obvious to me that it is the generator that is wasting my time. In a nutshell I heave a sigh of relieve when finally my printout was handed over to me and I was proud I went through the process. I wrote an exam. I did eye examination. I was made to sit and watch a video of road signs and stuffs like that. New applicants were made to do a test drive. I saw a guy who failed the test and was ranting. Yet, a lot of people are looking for who to bribe in order to cut corners. Only if FRSC will be stern and do their job well. FG should provide them with good internet connectivity and reliable power supply. This is my honest take folks. NB: An officer offered to help me, I refused and told him I will go through the process. If I fail, so be it.
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by Lalaska(m): 6:53pm On Jul 14, 2012
I just completed the application online and about to pay. I got directed to some pay4me account and asked to pay at any selected bank. However, i dont understand why im being asked to pay additional N350 (N250 for "service" charge and N100 for "transaction" charge).I dont understand why I have to pay these charges since intend to go to a selected bank to pay. These amounts are not material but they are absolutely illegal since i dont need any platform to pay at the bank.
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jul 14, 2012
OMG meaning dat same day express wuld be 15k... Na wa ooooh grin
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jul 14, 2012
This story get as e be.
About 7 seven years ago my naija licence was accepted until I changed my mind and presented my UK licence.
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jul 14, 2012
I'm watching to see if one ediot would try to attribute this "phenomenon" to GEJ's admin.
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by member479760: 8:04pm On Jul 14, 2012
Ntom: Does FRSC do a background check or test on how competent a driver is before issuing the drivers license or is it still business as usual,issuing to every tom and harry?

check what? DL is simple a form of ID, how you drive is not so important provided you have insurance.
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by chucky234(m): 8:05pm On Jul 14, 2012
MRbrownJAY:

i used the old one to rent cars all over Europe back in 2001, and never had any problem whatsoever. i even got a speeding ticket once with it, and i had no problem in the world, only that expensive fine to pay!

so long as you have the international license with it, its all good ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Hmmm God don open your nyash,so na una dey rent Hertz and Avis cars dey send am come naija abi? Guy no think sha,just teasing
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by deor03(m): 10:17pm On Jul 14, 2012
I still can't risk it as entry ID to night clubs. I will always go with my passport.
Will never forget when me and friends drove all the way to DC to party. All but myself was allowed in, cos I.flashed my Naija drivers license
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by tpia5: 12:27am On Jul 15, 2012
1. The article referred to the Department of Motor Vehicles in the State of Maryland. But in
Maryland, there is nothing like that. What we have here is the Motor Vehicle Administration
popularly known as MVA.

true that. I forgot.

didnt read the article, actually.

2. The state of Maryland used to be known as one of the easiest states to obtain a driver's license.
People traveled hundreds of miles from other states to obtain a Maryland driver's license. A
few years ago, the Maryland legislature passed laws that now make it very difficult to obtain
a Maryland driver's license even for bona fide residents of the state of Maryland.

might be a general thing i suppose.

i remember one time some news reports said green cards were being sold on the steps of the capitol.

dont know if it was true however.
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by sultaan(m): 2:18am On Jul 15, 2012
Would that be to legally drive in MD, USA or an acceptable form of ID?

Good luck getting insurance coverage with that.
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by Nobody: 3:40am On Jul 15, 2012
They just permitted Agbero drivers into their Country....by the way, these Countries make a lot of money from traffic offences, so maybe its another money making scheme, can you imagine how much a Nigerian driver in USA will be paying in fines? I currently live in LA and i can tell you i try as much as possible not to drive, my Nigerian driver's instinct is way too deep, i no wan pay fine or worse drop soap for jail
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by pleep(m): 4:49am On Jul 15, 2012
^ Its the truth. grin

I wasnt even born in naija and i have the instinct...overtaking, passing people on the sholder.... i just cant stop its in my blood.
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by Freesia(f): 5:50am On Jul 15, 2012
Gogobiri Lalas: They just permitted Agbero drivers into their Country....by the way, these Countries make a lot of money from traffic offences, so maybe its another money making scheme, can you imagine how much a Nigerian driver in USA will be paying in fines? I currently live in LA and i can tell you i try as much as possible not to drive, my Nigerian driver's instinct is way too deep, i no wan pay fine or worse drop soap for jail

lol...coming from MD where we kinda give some space to a car ahead of you in traffic I find driving in LA very scary. Everyone is bumper to bumper I no wan risk driving stick shift over there I will keep rolling back and knocking cars behind me on any steep road traffic offences will knock me left and right over there
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by safarigirl(f): 7:24am On Jul 15, 2012
And the achievement in this is? The Nigerian DL shouldn't even be accepted in Togo, you need not know how to drive to get a license here, as long as you can swerve and swear all day, you're eligible, especially in Lagos where most drive like they're on a suicide mission and don't plan to go alone.
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by Skmoda360(m): 11:13am On Jul 15, 2012
Ntom: Does FRSC do a background check or test on how competent a driver is before issuing the drivers license or is it still business as usual,issuing to every tom and harry?
seconded
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jul 15, 2012
chucky234: Hmmm God don open your nyash,so na una dey rent Hertz and Avis cars dey send am come naija abi? Guy no think sha,just teasing

lol, these cars wouldnt even get on board the cargo, let alone cross the ocean..........
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by stannydon(m): 11:33pm On Jul 15, 2012
Stop deceiving yourself and the Public. Nigeria Driving license has no reason why it should be accepted in United States. I was in Nigeria some months ago, when i got to United States, I discovered that any Nigerian who is allowed to drive in United States will kill himself and a lot of people. In the first place, Nigerians don`t go proper driving school or online road rules. Somebody got me the so called new driving license in Nigeria in my absent. You have to learn the rules and regulations of driving in United States before you can drive here. Is pure on merit not on bribery like it is done in Nigeria. You have to pass the driving and alcohol test, and then the road test in any state in USA.
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by AYBLUES(m): 11:09am On Jul 16, 2012
Well that one no be news again. In Indianapolis where I live, they take Naija drivers lisence and it makes the processing of ur Indiana license faster. It takes u one week to get it instead of one month or more if u don't bring with u any drivers lisence from Naija. It's not in Maryland only. But maybe they just started accepting it oooo. But the state where I live and some other state e don teeeeeeeeeee
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by AjanleKoko: 11:25am On Jul 16, 2012
stannydon: Stop deceiving yourself and the Public. Nigeria Driving license has no reason why it should be accepted in United States. I was in Nigeria some months ago, when i got to United States, I discovered that any Nigerian who is allowed to drive in United States will kill himself and a lot of people. In the first place, Nigerians don`t go proper driving school or online road rules. Somebody got me the so called new driving license in Nigeria in my absent. You have to learn the rules and regulations of driving in United States before you can drive here. Is pure on merit not on bribery like it is done in Nigeria. You have to pass the driving and alcohol test, and then the road test in any state in USA.

That's a sweeping generalization. Are you not a Nigerian? How many people have you killed in the US till date? Or maybe you never learnt to drive before you left Nigeria, and therefore have nothing to comment about.

So a tout got you a phony license in Nigeria. Big deal.
Unfortunately, the license is accepted in several US states. So, there goes your generalization. undecided
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by AjanleKoko: 11:27am On Jul 16, 2012
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by KayDee4: 1:59pm On Jul 16, 2012
stannydon: any Nigerian who is allowed to drive in United States will kill himself and a lot of people.
[size=13pt] That is suicidal. How many have you killed, are you Boko Haram in disguise ? cheesy [/size]
stannydon: You have to pass the driving and alcohol test, and then the road test in any state in USA.
[size=13pt] Alcohol test ? shocked Where are you ? [/size]
stannydon: In the first place, Nigerians don`t go proper driving school or online road rules. Somebody got me the so called new driving license in Nigeria in my absent. You have to learn the rules and regulations of driving in United States before you can drive here. Is pure on merit not on bribery like it is done in Nigeria. You have to pass the driving and alcohol test, and then the road test in any state in USA.
[size=13pt]I didn't see the 4 walls of a driving school but I learnt on the streets, everything I had to know about driving.
Even with all the tests and rules, Americans have their own version of recklessness while driving, sometimes i fear them pass Danfo drivers sef especially the ones that text with one hand and hold coffee cups with the other while driving.
[/size]
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by stannydon(m): 6:07am On Jul 17, 2012
AjanleKoko:

That's a sweeping generalization. Are you not a Nigerian? How many people have you killed in the US till date? Or maybe you never learnt to drive before you left Nigeria, and therefore have nothing to comment about.

So a tout got you a phony license in Nigeria. Big deal.
Unfortunately, the license is accepted in several US states. So, there goes your generalization. undecided

@Ajanlekoko, I don`t want to exchange words with you because i know quite well that you are biased. In the first place, Where are the approved training/driving schools in Nigeria and who accredited them? Which website can you read about Nigerian driving rules? How do you dictate traffic offenders in Nigeria? How many people obey driving limits in Nigeria? What do you understand by parallel parking? How many places do you have traffic signals in Nigeria and if so, why are there always traffic JAM in major cities in Nigeria? You are telling me that somebody from Nigeria who has no idea about all these rules and simply because he has a driving license who he got without road test will badge into American roads and drive safely abi? I doubt if you have been to United States in the first place.
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by stannydon(m): 6:20am On Jul 17, 2012
Kay-Dee:

[size=13pt] That is suicidal. How many have you killed, are you Boko Haram in disguise ? cheesy [/size]

[size=13pt] Alcohol test ? shocked Where are you ? [/size]

[size=13pt]I didn't see the 4 walls of a driving school but I learnt on the streets, everything I had to know about driving.
Even with all the tests and rules, Americans have their own version of recklessness while driving, sometimes i fear them pass Danfo drivers sef especially the ones that text with one hand and hold coffee cups with the other while driving.
[/size]

You can say whatever you feel like, Irrespective of how you get the training, the most important thing is that you got trained and passed the written and road test before you were issued a driving License in USA. I drove almost six years in Nigeria and never went for either written or road test to obtain my driving License. Even the so called new driving license which i got sometime in February before coming to United States was a means to defraud people by the FRSC and FIRS. I paid about #10000.00 thinking that it will wave me from writing test here in United States. I discovered that i just wasted the money for nothing because i had to go over the test procedure here even with my glorified new Nigeria driving license. USA only recognizes driving license from some western countries. I don`t know the state you are staying because i live in Florida.Nigeria has no data system that can dictate traffic offenders which will make people obey driving rules.
Re: Nigeria’s Driver’s License Accepted In The USA by stannydon(m): 6:24am On Jul 17, 2012
oyb:

fresh air propaganda. end of.

You can only use it temporary as a visitor not for more than three months. So Using either Heirz or Enterprise rent a car with your naija driving license should not make you think that Nigerian driving license is accepted in United States/.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When An Engine "Knocks" - These Are Some Likely Causes / See How Hyperloop Will Move Passengers Through Tunnels To Bypass Traffic / TOYOTA COROLLA: A Wise Choice Decision To Make In Nigeria Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.