Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,440 members, 7,801,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:19 AM

When You See A Man In The Market: - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / When You See A Man In The Market: (14333 Views)

Packaged Garri Is Now Available In The Market[photo] / Ajino Moto: Unbelievably Still In The Market! / No 1 Fruit Juice In The Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by obyikye(f): 9:29pm On Aug 04, 2012
My thought are as follows; *he is thorogh bred or a homie that cooks his food. * his wife put to bed, travelled or indispose etc.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by GboyegaD(m): 9:37pm On Aug 04, 2012
I really don't enjoy going to the market alone particularly way back in school because when I return back to the hostel, my friends do abuse me that I have been swindled for things I feel I buy at fair prices. Presently, I do not have issues with going to buy the things I cook because when I go shopping, there is no negotiation as everything is scaled and have prices attached to them. When I get married, I can follow my wife to the market but I do not think I can go alone because I really do not know how to price most things and sometimes I can be very sentimental like considering the sellers economic status which makes it easier to swindle me.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by Willy411: 9:41pm On Aug 04, 2012
ftmom: In Naija?
I suspect he's a bachelor
yes boss
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by Emmy9ite(m): 9:42pm On Aug 04, 2012
D sage: I just hate going market. When i does,i make sure i bought enough ingredients that could sustain me for like 3weeks. @topic, 85% of dem ar bachelors while d rest mayb those local hungry looking stingy husbands.
Bros i dey hail o grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by Emmy9ite(m): 9:45pm On Aug 04, 2012
What comes to my mind? He is too free! I don't have time for that,i am always busy clearing containers.

cool
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by economia: 9:55pm On Aug 04, 2012
tobechi74: If d man is short,

then d wife sent him on an erand.....
...but short people are usualy proud. They usualy stand up to their right even to their spouse. So, wives hadly send them.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by kumbalo(m): 9:59pm On Aug 04, 2012
berem: I think I prefer the man buying meat in the market.my dad is a classical example.he buys meat in large quantity wen coming back from work and meeehn! The thing dey plenty no be small.
my dad toowas like that.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by tpia5: 10:00pm On Aug 04, 2012
Must be a nigerian thing anyway.

I dont think such things matter so much overseas.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by phadat(m): 10:08pm On Aug 04, 2012
I don't subscribe to the idea of going to the market it gives me the pricks I rather wait for my chick to do that instead of me being insulted by some old woman and if she aint around what her friends for?Frankly I don't knw how to go about buying stuffs in the market the moment I get near the place and see the sea of faces I will get confused seriously
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by SNCOQ3(m): 10:15pm On Aug 04, 2012
Arsheda: If he is a bachelor & probably still single, that is unattached, he has 100% right to visit the market & buy food items. Let me use myself as an example.

I do this a lot, weekends I go to the market & buy what I need in the house,cook for the week, and preserve in my freezer. So when I get back from my daily job all I do is dish out what I will eat and microwave,shikena!

So please and please not all men you see in the market are STINGY. THIS WILL BE FALLACY OF IRRELEVANT GROUND.

Just exactly what i do. cheesy
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:21pm On Aug 04, 2012
Yo!
Aint nothing wrong for a bloke to be seen in a market, is it funny ? Sometimes yes when he looks clueless. Is it kinda annoying? Sometimes yes when he is hotly arguing for 50 naira to be shaved off a 100 naira bonga fish. cheesy
After all said and done, aside from exceptions the kitchen is the main stay of the woman and yes I am speaking from a naija perspective. All this yeye talk about equality and vows and bla bla bla, if you are the dude get your ass out and get a job provide for your family. Leave your wife to manage the kitchen.
If you are a bachelor at least try control one nwa baby to do am for you na cheesy so people like the OP will have better things to do than open this kain thread.

Peace out.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by Natiloni: 10:22pm On Aug 04, 2012
It is true that majority of men you see in the market are bachelors but some married ones that enjoy making meals or just getting items once in a while also visit the market. For example cooking is a hobby of mine-it has always been. I have been going to the market and cooking before I turned 15 (i am in my late twenties and single)I enjoy cooking, baking and being adventurous with recipes. Therefore I go to the market to carefully pick items i would need for a meal and of course i would be opening a restaurant in five years time. I still prepare special meals for my family when i come visiting and they always look forward to it. I think it boils down to attitude. being in the market doesn't make one less of a man.

1 Like

Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by scribble: 10:37pm On Aug 04, 2012
tpia@:
What about a man who grinds his stew ingredients at the general mill.

I've seen that before.

a guy dt needs to cop a blender
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by DICKtator: 10:43pm On Aug 04, 2012
tobechi74: If d man is short,

then d wife sent him on an erand.....

Efe and Jude

grin grin grin grin
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by Pesuzok(m): 10:47pm On Aug 04, 2012
I am really surprised at some comments here. I am married and most times I have been the one going to the market while my wife cleans the home. We make the list of items together that can take us for a month.
What has stingy got to do with that, is it that apart from the market money that you don't give your wife money or what? And besides I spend more if I go to the market than when my wife goes. Its 100% ok and nothing wrong with it
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by DICKtator: 10:48pm On Aug 04, 2012
D sage: I just hate going market. When i does,i make sure i bought enough ingredients that could sustain me for like 3weeks. @topic, 85% of dem ar bachelors while d rest mayb those local hungry looking stingy husbands.

D Sage.
Hmmmm......
grin grin grin grin
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by druid06(m): 11:06pm On Aug 04, 2012
What comes to my mind is that the man in particular is a bachelor. I do go to the market too to buy raw materials for food. There's no biggie init.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by atims: 11:06pm On Aug 04, 2012
I am a husband and father, and almost 40 too; I don't see anything wrong with men going to the market to buy soup condiments. I love going to the market and I love cooking whenever I can find the time to do so... sometimes in the company of my wife but most times alone. My wife always complain that I was cheated here and there...but it doesn't matter so long as the meal taste great! Going to the market doesn't make a man stingy as most people think, besides my shopping is always outside her already budgeted upkeep money for the month and I am never reimbursed! My wife and kid love my meals.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by OmoAlata(f): 11:07pm On Aug 04, 2012
acidtalk: Do you wonder why he is the one in the market instead of a girlfriend or wife.

So sexist lipsrsealed
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by Nobody: 11:09pm On Aug 04, 2012
Nothing...... I don't see anything wrong with that. I see it as a normal thing. No big deal
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by mikron(m): 11:14pm On Aug 04, 2012
woman wrapper
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by ibhena(m): 11:17pm On Aug 04, 2012
Wislet: A man who:

1. No lady can take for granted (can't use food to deal with- assuming he could cook too).

2. Is caring (assuming the wife was indisposed).

3. Is dependable.

4. Is economical (assuming he was a bachelor). Not wasting his money on fast foods.

So on point! 10/10
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by chidyke77(m): 11:48pm On Aug 04, 2012
Notin wrong wt that bt i myself prefer cooking d meal than going to the market for foods stuff.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by mhsanni(f): 1:06am On Aug 05, 2012
where i live, its d norm. its actually weird seeing women in market here..infact even d traders are men.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by oseo1(m): 1:19am On Aug 05, 2012
does shoprite count as the market?
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by Nobody: 3:33am On Aug 05, 2012
Pesuzok: I am really surprised at some comments here. I am married and most times I have been the one going to the market while my wife cleans the home. We make the list of items together that can take us for a month.
What has stingy got to do with that, is it that apart from the market money that you don't give your wife money or what? And besides I spend more if I go to the market than when my wife goes. Its 100% ok and nothing wrong with it
God bless you Bro, u just spoke my mind. I wonder what is wrong with going to d market once in a yle to get stuffs.
Since Wifey put to bed she prefers me going to d market cos I always come back with much more items than budgetted for... eventhough I have a well-paying job. This thread should close joor
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by Nobody: 3:46am On Aug 05, 2012
drzed: Some of the comments here are not only irritably funny but border on the ridiculous.

Since when did going to the market make someone less of a man? Okay, let us leave the open market aside for a while: does shopping in a mall also make someone less 'manly' too? How about going to the bank, taking the kids to school or running a business?

In my opinion, such thinking is borne out of sheer ignorance or the misplaced sense of male superiority which is so common in many of our so-called traditions. Not that I am against our traditions, but certain aspects are just chauvinistic, domineering and outdated.

Those who have a problem with a man going to the market either do not understand marital vows or do not love their wives - assuming they are married, that is. Just because we grew up and found ourselves surrounded by cultures that 'wrongly' treats women as inferior or belonging to the kitchen, does not make these aspects of our cultures right. Otherwise, we should bring back the killing of twins and other senseless acts of our forefathers. Abi?

I love my wife, whom I treat as equal. The only major difference between she and I is fundamentally a biological fact, which makes us attracted to each other. Hence, I follow her to the market whenever I can, regardless of the puzzled looks of the clowns who sell things to us. I also sometimes take the initiative to shop for food and groceries on OUR behalf. There is no moral, religious, ethical, logical, cultural, political or constitutional rule or law that says she MUST be the one who shops and cooks while I cross my legs and watch my beloved Arsenal lose a game. Nothing stops me from cooking and cleaning, at least our marital vows never stated so. Thats why I am so glad that in some countries, even men are now entitled to paternity leave upon the birth of a new child. Responsibility goes both ways and is only limited by physiological constraints (e.g. carrying a baby for 9 months).

Just saying. We need to 'reformat' our cultural hard drive. The era of homo erectus is long gone. Not everything we find our parents or grandparents doing is right or proper.

HURRAYYYyyy!!! Paternity leave, Mehn.. I de enjoy dat one ooo for my workplace..
A very nice write-up Bro but na why u come call Arsenal nau, I go report you to Mukina ooo, LOL...
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by Phoebel(f): 5:13am On Aug 05, 2012
Its not everytime but it shows d man is very caring.true love can do anything.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by SPIFF(m): 5:41am On Aug 05, 2012
I go to market sometimes to relief my wife of some of her stress. Even when I drive her to market, she likes me doing the bargaining. She felt I do it better.l especially meat and yam. She doesn't know good yam especially when there's only new yam in the market. I must add that I cook very well even better than she does.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by crackhouse(m): 6:46am On Aug 05, 2012
That he is widower or he's divorced and now back to bachelorhood.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by ruffhandu: 7:24am On Aug 05, 2012
mhsanni: where i live, its d norm. its actually weird seeing women in market here..infact even d traders are men.

Please whats your location? I love that place. Am a banker. As much as possible I hate eating fast foods. I eat heavily when I eat. All through my university days, I cook my food (for quantity and quality). I Have the liberty to cook and eat whatever I feel like anytime. Its risky letting girls cook your food when you're not married. Its risky! Going to the market is fun to me too sometimes.
Re: When You See A Man In The Market: by Nobody: 7:48am On Aug 05, 2012
Hin wife don dominate am be that. cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which Maggi Do You Prefer For Cooking? / SON Debunks Fake Amstel Malta Claims, As Police Search For Rumor-mongers / Gala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.