Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,049 members, 7,807,151 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

Road Development In Nigeria : Google Map Travel Times And Nigerian Roads . . . - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Road Development In Nigeria : Google Map Travel Times And Nigerian Roads . . . (12340 Views)

Kogi Is The Only State In Nigeria Neighboring 10 States (photo Map) / Pictures : The Travel Times On Nigerian Roads / What Does This Photo Tell You About Nigerian Roads? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Road Development In Nigeria : Google Map Travel Times And Nigerian Roads . . . by Kobojunkie: 8:19pm On Jul 15, 2012
I read daily of Government doing a good job on road development both at the state and National level, and I wonder what the best way to measure these developments. I decided to consult google and Google Map came to the rescue.

The following information is according to Google Maps :

[b]A journey from Ikeja, Lagos to Benin City, Edo, Nigeria, approximately 191 miles long, should take approximately 4 hours and 12 mins.

A journey from Ikorodu, Lagos to Ikeja Lagos is approximately 18 miles and should really not take up to 40 minutes to complete.

A journey from Ikeja, Lagos to VI Lagos is approximately 18 miles and should not take more than 40 minutes.

A journey from Ilorin, Kwara to Ikeja, Lagos of approximately 174 miles should take approximately 4.5 hours.

A journey from Ilorin, Kwara to Oshogbo, Osun, of approximately 73km should not take more than 2 hours.

A journey from Benin City, Edo to Onitsha, Anambra, of approximately 143 miles, should take approximately 2 hours.

A journey from Yaba, Lagos to Onitsha, Anambra, approximately 283 miles, should not cost no more than 8 hours.

A Journey from Onitsha to Aba,ABia, approximately 100 miles, should not cost more than 2 hours 30 minutes.

A journey from Port Harcourt, RIvers, to Aba, Abia, approximately 43 miles, shouldn't take more than 1 hour and 15 minutes.

A Journey from Owerri, Imo State to Aba, Abia State, approximately 44 miles, shouldn't take more than 1 hour 15 minutes.

A Journey from Enugu, Enugu, to Aba, Abia State, approximately 110 miles, should not take more than 3 hours and 10 mins.

A journey from Ilorin, Kwara, to Jos Plateau, approximately 460 miles, should not take more than 10 hours 25 minutes

A journey from Ikorodu, Lagos to Abeokuta, Ogun, approximately 60 miles, should not take more than 1 hour 43 minutes.
[/b]

As someone who travelled some of these routes in the 1980s/90s, I can verify, my experience that the Google Map published approximate Travel Times are near accurate. But I would like to know how close you think those numbers(Travel Times) are close to your travel times today on the same roads, and what you think that says of road development both in your state, and inter state.

Please feel free to add your own approximates, from Google and your travels. https://maps.google.com/
Re: Road Development In Nigeria : Google Map Travel Times And Nigerian Roads . . . by werepeLeri: 8:31pm On Jul 15, 2012
The algorithm used on map based navigation to determine travel times and arrival times have variables which are assumptions and never absolute. Google assumes an average speed on Nigeria roads, example - Lagos Ibadan will probably have an assumed speed of 100km/h - thus, whatever travel times Google maps and APIs comes up with are never accurate - they are mathematical guesses based on an assumed travel speed (I can decide to do 180km/h on the same Lagos Ibadan Expy). But we all know there is no official travel speed in real life - so, whatever Google's dynamic maps gives is an assumption and its nothing near what it is in real life.

How do I know? Because I also make same navigation apps and knows what happens mathematically, and I thus wonder how this translates to good roads or judging them so to say.
Re: Road Development In Nigeria : Google Map Travel Times And Nigerian Roads . . . by Kobojunkie: 8:41pm On Jul 15, 2012
[size=13pt]Google Maps does not use any set MPH values for calculate driving times, even on Nigerian roads. It uses the speed limits on the roads themselves, as provided by such agencies as the FRSC, and data providers, etc. [/size]

How do I know this? Because I have also worked on navigation applications and have worked at the local university on creating, and updating existing apps for our local transport system here.
Re: Road Development In Nigeria : Google Map Travel Times And Nigerian Roads . . . by werepeLeri: 8:42pm On Jul 15, 2012
Google Maps does not use any set MPH values for calculate driving times, even on Nigerian roads. It uses the speed limits on the roads themselves, as provided by such agencies as the FRSC, and data providers, etc.

How?
Re: Road Development In Nigeria : Google Map Travel Times And Nigerian Roads . . . by werepeLeri: 8:45pm On Jul 15, 2012
http://www.ceaser-web.com/cm/maps/multipointroutedb_asp/default.asp

Internet Explorer only

(not to divert from topic)
Re: Road Development In Nigeria : Google Map Travel Times And Nigerian Roads . . . by TonySpike: 8:45pm On Jul 15, 2012
Apart from the algorithms applied in calculating these distances, there are issues with the road design and terrains. The calculations involved may sometimes ignore the differential speeds attained due to bends, hilly terrain and non-linear nature of roads.
Re: Road Development In Nigeria : Google Map Travel Times And Nigerian Roads . . . by jmaine: 8:48pm On Jul 15, 2012
Tony Spike: Apart from the algorithms applied in calculating these distances, there are issues with the road design and terrains. The calculations involved may sometimes ignore the differential speeds attained due to bends, hilly terrain and non-linear nature of roads.

Your on point Sir cool
Re: Road Development In Nigeria : Google Map Travel Times And Nigerian Roads . . . by Kobojunkie: 8:49pm On Jul 15, 2012
Tony Spike: Apart from the algorithms applied in calculating these distances, there are issues with the road design and terrains. The calculations involved may sometimes ignore the differential speeds attained due to bends, hilly terrain and non-linear nature of roads.
I am not entirely convinced that road design and terrain should drastically impact the calculation of travel times on our Nigerian roads, especially given that many of these roads have been around for at least 30 years.

Rather than continuing to deviate from the topic, why not post your travel time and we can easily compare it with that others also post.
Re: Road Development In Nigeria : Google Map Travel Times And Nigerian Roads . . . by Kobojunkie: 9:17pm On Jul 15, 2012
A journey from Ikorodu, Lagos to Sagamu, Ogun, Nigeria, approximately 22.5 miles long, should take approximately 40 minutes.

I can verify the above because as a youngling, I schooled in Sagamu and we took the approximately 40 minutes drive from Ikorodu to Sagamu every day.
Re: Road Development In Nigeria : Google Map Travel Times And Nigerian Roads . . . by TonySpike: 10:03pm On Jul 15, 2012
Okay, Oga kobojunkie, I'll give you my travel times on some few routes.
Kobojunkie:
A journey from Ikeja, Lagos to Benin City, Edo, Nigeria, approximately 191 miles long, should take approximately 4 hours and 12 mins.
I think this travel time will depend on the route taken. If the Lagos-Sagamu-Ore-Benin route is taken, this travel time should be near-accurate. But, if the Lagos-Ibadan-Akure-Owo-Benin route is taken, then the travel time should be close to 5 hours.

Kobojunkie:
A journey from Benin City, Edo to Onitsha, Anambra, of approximately 143 miles, should take approximately 2 hours.
Using the Benin-Umunede-Asaba-Osha route, this travel time seems accurate enough.

Kobojunkie:
A journey from Yaba, Lagos to Onitsha, Anambra, approximately 283 miles, should not cost no more than 8 hours.
This also looks correct if travelling through Sagamu-Ore-Benin route, although it may be longer through Ibadan-Akure-Owo route.

I think this is my opinion. My travel times analysis are based on not more than 100 km/h speed.
Re: Road Development In Nigeria : Google Map Travel Times And Nigerian Roads . . . by Kobojunkie: 10:09pm On Jul 15, 2012
Tony Spike: Okay, Oga kobojunkie, I'll give you my travel times on some few routes.
I think this travel time will depend on the route taken. If the Lagos-Sagamu-Ore-Benin route is taken, this travel time should be near-accurate. But, if the Lagos-Ibadan-Akure-Owo-Benin route is taken, then the travel time should be close to 5 hours.

Using the Benin-Umunede-Asaba-Osha route, this travel time seems accurate enough.

This also looks correct if travelling through Sagamu-Ore-Benin route, although it may be longer through Ibadan-Akure-Owo route.

I think this is my opinion. My travel times analysis are based on not more than 100 km/h speed.

If you took time to consider the travel times, they are not based on 100 km/h either. This you will note if you considered that journey from Lagos to Benin,about 300 km, would take 3 hours to complete if at 100km/h. Since that is not the case, may I ask that we drop this baseless idea that Google sets the km/h for it's calculations at 100km/h. undecided undecided undecided

That being said, I have to ask, are you able to provide approximate time/period/year when you made these trips? The point of the thread is to compare what google says to what average travellers on Nigerian roads really do experience.
Re: Road Development In Nigeria : Google Map Travel Times And Nigerian Roads . . . by koruji(m): 4:29am On Jul 16, 2012
Nice one, Kobojunkie.

Never new Lagos and Onitsha were that close - only 283 miles!

What about Lagos to Ibadan?
Re: Road Development In Nigeria : Google Map Travel Times And Nigerian Roads . . . by Kobojunkie: 11:09am On Jul 16, 2012
A journey from Ikorodu, Lagos to Ibadan, Oyo is approximately 88 miles and should really take approximately 2 hours to complete.
Re: Road Development In Nigeria : Google Map Travel Times And Nigerian Roads . . . by Kobojunkie: 12:52pm On Jul 17, 2012
A journey from Enugu, Enugu to Abuja,Nigeria is approximately 286 miles and should really take approximately 6 hours 40 minutes to complete.
Re: Road Development In Nigeria : Google Map Travel Times And Nigerian Roads . . . by Kobojunkie: 4:15am On Jul 19, 2012
Kobojunkie: A journey from Enugu, Enugu to Abuja,Nigeria is approximately 286 miles and should really take approximately 6 hours 40 minutes to complete.
Re: Road Development In Nigeria : Google Map Travel Times And Nigerian Roads . . . by Xynthialuvy(f): 4:55pm On Feb 15, 2015
How far is aba frm edo state?
Re: Road Development In Nigeria : Google Map Travel Times And Nigerian Roads . . . by kuntash: 12:47pm On Jan 20, 2016
Sometimes I don't know why important topics as this doesn't make it to front page .

(1) (Reply)

I Can't Comply With The Constitution & Function Properly- Buhari / Akeredolu Appoints Kupolokun Chairman Of Transition Committee / Security Agents Close In On Quit Notice Sponsors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.