Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:04 PM

Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone (18023 Views)

Why You Shouldn't Use Your Phone In A Toilet Again / How To Take Sharp Photos With Your Smart Phone. / Naija Smartphonomics: The Economics Of Buying A Smart Phone In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 12:38am On Jul 16, 2012
In this day and age when it seems like almost every week there is another “latest and greatest” technology gadget put out on the market, it can be enticing to jump in and pick one up for yourself.
I have serious doubts that everyone who owns a smart fone is really getting their money’s worth.

Below are some of the reasons why you simply shouldn’t purchase a smartphone:-

1) They’re Expensive with Ongoing Costs
Any way you look at it, these mobile devices are expensive.

2) Do You Really Need That Much Technology in Your Life?
I have a PC at home that I can access at any time, and I own a laptop that I can take with me if I need to. I have up-to-the-minute sports scores on my DSTV, as well as up-to-the minute news reports. To be honest with you, I have all the technology that I currently need in my life. I simply do not need the Internet in my pocket 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Do you?

3) Not as Convenient as You May Think
In my opinion, smartphones really aren’t as convenient as you might imagine. No matter what connectivity speed you have, pages load relatively slowly on smartphones, and navigating them is more a nuisance than anything else.

4) You Could Have a Misperceived Need
Majority of people who have smartphones think they are a necessity, when in fact they are not.
Twenty years ago, most of us didn’t even have cell phones, and eight years ago, I doubt any of us had smartphones. It then stands to reason that if you made it that far in life without a smartphone, there’s a good chance that it is not a true necessity in your current life.

5) They are replacing human-to-human interaction
You can hardly see individuals (youths especially) looking themselves in the eye and having a mutual decent conversation.

6 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Lexusgs430: 3:22am On Jul 16, 2012
Are you speaking for yourself or others?
By the way, what smartphone do you use presently?

4 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 3:29am On Jul 16, 2012
Lexusgs430: Are you speaking for yourself or others?
By the way, what smartphone do you use presently?

NOKIA 3310c........refurbished grin grin

11 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by FriendMark(m): 5:23am On Jul 16, 2012
I understand where you're coming from but not where you're headed.
There are a lot of things in our lives that meet your "five reasons" not just smartphones.

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by tonyx4x44(m): 6:40am On Jul 16, 2012
Your reasons also apply to computers, TVs and a host of other tech stuff. As you can have up to date news on your radio and news papers. Mind your 12 years ago we didn't have dstv and life went on!

3 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 7:25am On Jul 16, 2012
FriendMark: I understand where you're coming from but not where you're headed.
There are a lot of things in our lives that meet your "five reasons" not just smartphones.

Example.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 7:31am On Jul 16, 2012
tonyx4x44: Your reasons also apply to computers, TVs and a host of other tech stuff. As you can have up to date news on your radio and news papers. Mind your 12 years ago we didn't have dstv and life went on!

You've got the point all wrong. computers and TVs make things easier for us....their advantages far outweigh their disadvantages.

........and U can't have up-to-date news on radio and newspaper.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Suntemi(m): 8:53am On Jul 16, 2012
I only agree with number 5.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 9:04am On Jul 16, 2012
sun_temi: I only agree with number 5.

Hmmmmm...........onlyyyy .......Mscheeeeeeew......ur opinion.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Suntemi(m): 9:11am On Jul 16, 2012
puskin:

Hmmmmm...........onlyyyy .......Mscheeeeeeew......ur opinion.

Yes my opinion.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 9:20am On Jul 16, 2012
sun_temi:

Yes my opinion.

.....if U were to go around propagating my idea.....biz won't be booming....or would it?? cheesy cheesy

So ur opinion is rite for only U.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Suntemi(m): 9:23am On Jul 16, 2012
wo, puskin na u sabi jare. I'm off.

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 9:30am On Jul 16, 2012
sun_temi: wo, puskin na u sabi jare. I'm off.

bye bye......go unlock some i-fones.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Suntemi(m): 9:33am On Jul 16, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Suntemi(m): 9:38am On Jul 16, 2012
Like I know this puskin thread will get to the front page.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Nobody: 9:39am On Jul 16, 2012
The OP needs an Android! grin grin grin
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by hectorswag(m): 9:41am On Jul 16, 2012
GBAM!!
sun_temi: I only agree with number 5.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Baawaa(m): 9:42am On Jul 16, 2012
It depends on the nature of your job.An IT person need it more
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by candylips(m): 9:44am On Jul 16, 2012
crap topic
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by semid4lyfe(m): 9:44am On Jul 16, 2012
Can't remember when last Puskin started a thread

Just checked and it was February 2010. [size=4pt]Boys are not smiling o[/size] grin
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 9:45am On Jul 16, 2012
bayooooooo: The OP needs an Android! grin grin grin

Jeez.....buy one for me and prove my theory wrong......i'm having HTC One-X on my mind. grin grin
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 9:47am On Jul 16, 2012
semid4lyfe: Can't remember when last Puskin started a thread

Just checked and it was February 2010. [size=4pt]Boys are not smiling o[/size] grin

ehen.....I don dey draw old dawgs back to the thread.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Suntemi(m): 9:50am On Jul 16, 2012
candylips: crap topic

Haa! Puskin get gun o
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by 2baga(m): 9:52am On Jul 16, 2012
pushkin go get a life
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 9:53am On Jul 16, 2012
candylips: crap topic

Please...kindly switch off ya internet connection.

sun_temi:

Haa! Puskin get gun o

No mind am.

Baawaa: It depends on the nature of your job.An IT person need it more

kk.......I'm still wondering wat feature would probably make the function of an IT person easier..........ermmmmm........NONE.......NEXT!!!!
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Newcrescent(m): 9:55am On Jul 16, 2012
puskin:

NOKIA 3310c........refurbished grin grin

Ojabo k'ofo!
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by adewasco2k(m): 9:56am On Jul 16, 2012
@OP:
you can get a smart phone for less than 20k...do you say that's expensive

there are mobile phones for crying out loud....can you carry your laptop to the super-market? coz i use my phone to google some products while shopping etc

i totally disagree.....my blackberry is the best thing that has happen to me when it comes to sending mails and receiving...so damn easy and convenient #pushmails

you own a PC undecided do you remember when PC's were so rear? c'mon you gotta move along with technology.

totally agree with you but its cool #positivity

3 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Nobody: 10:04am On Jul 16, 2012
Okay....
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by HumanPsycho(m): 10:06am On Jul 16, 2012
True talk, unnecessary luxury, a mini cell phone for voice calls, an ipod for music- for the music lovers, a laptop mini- instant internet access Or notebook is enough.... Life's too short to get carried away.... Read psychologytoday*effect of modern day technology*
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by lafile(m): 10:08am On Jul 16, 2012
My Reply.

Five (Sarcastic)Reasons Why U Do Not Need A Car

Any way you look at it, cars are expensive.

2) Do You Really Need That Much Mobility in Your Life?
My company has a Staff Bus I can ride to work everyday, my house i near the BRT bus stop, I actually enjoy riding okada. What do I need a car for? If i get stuck in traffic at Mile 12, I can just come down from the bus and take a bike. Can a car owner do that?

In my opinion, cars are not really as convenient as you might imagine. You waste hundreds of man hours with the mechanic, spend early mornings washing the car, and lets not forget the millions of things that can go wrong with a car. Phew!If a bus gets a flat tire, i just come down and take the next bus. Simple.

Majority of people who have cars think they are a necessity, when in fact they are not.
Forty years ago, most people didn’t even have cars. Even in New York lots of 'Big Boys' rely on the subway to move around. It then stands to reason that if your forefathers made it in life without a car, there’s a good chance that it is not a true necessity in your current life.

5) They are replacing good exercise.
You can hardly see fit people anymore.They spend so much time driving, they don't get the benefits of the good old trek anymore.

29 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by Stallion77(f): 10:08am On Jul 16, 2012
[quote author=puskin]In this day and age when it seems like almost every week there is another “latest and greatest” technology gadget put out on the market, it can be enticing to jump in and pick one up for yourself.
I have serious doubts that everyone who owns a smart fone is really getting their money’s worth.

Below are some of the reasons why you simply shouldn’t purchase a smartphone:-

Any way you look at it, these mobile devices are expensive.

I have a PC at home that I can access at any time, and I own a laptop that I can take with me if I need to. I have up-to-the-minute sports scores on my DSTV, as well as up-to-the minute news reports. To be honest with you, I have all the technology that I currently need in my life. I simply do not need the Internet in my pocket 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Do you?
I concur jare...e taya me sef.

In my opinion, smartphones really aren’t as convenient as you might imagine. No matter what connectivity speed you have, pages load relatively slowly on smartphones, and navigating them is more a nuisance than anything else.

Majority of people who have smartphones think they are a necessity, when in fact they are not.
Twenty years ago, most of us di
Re: Why You Shouldn't Own A Smart Phone by puskin: 10:09am On Jul 16, 2012
adewasco2k: @OP:
you can get a smart phone for less than 20k...do you say that's expensive

there are mobile phones for crying out loud....can you carry your laptop to the super-market? coz i use my phone to google some products while shopping etc

i totally disagree.....my blackberry is the best thing that has happen to me when it comes to sending mails and receiving...so damn easy and convenient #pushmails

you own a PC undecided do you remember when PC's were so rear? c'mon you gotta move along with technology.

totally agree with you but its cool #positivity

1) What kind of smart fone goes for less than 20k....that aint a smart fone, cos it has fancy LCD doesn't make it one.

2)What product are u googling in the supermarket that can't be googled @home.....after preparing ur budget list......googling in the supermarket is just trying to do some effizy......i would do same @SHOPRITE........to impress the ladies....U know nah.

3)That too can still be done on a lappie or U can just outrightly call the person.

4)Move along only when it will add value to ur life......and not cos others are doing it.

5)We agree together......

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hacked!!! Download Tweakware Vpn With All Premium Server Free{PROVE} / 10 Features And Price Of Itel P40 / The Nigerian Blackberry Adventure - An Interesting Phenomenon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.