Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:03 AM

How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? (55149 Views)

Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? / 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed / Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by tallceejay(m): 9:25pm On Jul 26, 2013
spicy v: I graduated in 2005 with a 3rd class in a field a lot θf people consider professional but as far as I was and am still concerned, its a boooooring field! Having realized that, I quickly started the interesting process θf self discovery, armed with this knowledge, I went to a private organization to volunteer,that was before NYSC, during my service year alone, I had three job offers! Back then, I humorously say to my friends who were crazy about the masters degree that with all their certification, I would be offered a job before they would be considered if we all went for the same interview.

Truth is every employer I have ever come across find it hard to accept that I had a 3rd class and that is because θf my overall presentation, intelligent manner in which I engage their minds, the excessive passion I exude and the subtle but hard to miss its-your-loss-if-I-am-not-a-part-of-your-team aura I naturally exude.

In summary, I would say, if you have the opportunity to bag another degree and certification, go ahead! But you have got to be able to back it up else its just a waste θf time, effort and money!!!

Na wash!

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jul 26, 2013
In Nigeria, it is connection that matters. I had a 2.1 in engineering from one of the big name unis in Naija yet my pay presently doesn't reflect that. People with uncles and aunties in big companies get picked b4 u. Bt then there is the God and merit factor that we can't ignore. All in all just do your best make the best of your opportunities and pray.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by sanandreas(m): 9:38pm On Jul 26, 2013
cyif2003: Spicy v and all@ thanks for ur encouragement.
Actually I am a 3rd class graduate who studied geology and I am currently serving. For so long I av been thinking of what next to do after service, but I have not been able †̥o come to a conclusion. Well †̥ b frank with u guys I am tired of d whole skooling system, so I don't plan to further( pgd nd msc) although I no it aint gonna b easy †̥ get into d labour market but I believe wif God everytin is possible. Most organization don't invite 3rd class holders for exams so I know it aint gonna b easy.I have been making enquires about some proffesional courses like H se nd some oda bt dey are quite espensive(excluding h se) . Generally I don't no what nxt for me. Will really like †̥ a proffesional in my course of study.... Pls any advice?
i just know it will be geology. my broda brace-up we know wetin dey. 30 percent of my course mate are currently in pass,20 percent thirdclass, 40 percent 2:2, 10 percent 2:1. Dnt limit ur self
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by oliviae: 9:39pm On Jul 26, 2013
this write up about succeeding with a 2.2 or 3rd class degree will only encourage undergraduate s to be lazy.better work hard and forgetabout 2.2 it won't take u far

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jul 26, 2013
spicy v: Forgot to add (how could I) loads θf Gods favor, always gives me that edge.

IF I HEAR! After Taking ALL the glory, whatelse are you trying to do? That's hypocritical. Mentioning YOUR EFFORTS TOOK like 12 lines, GOD‘S LAST SIGNATURE came with just 3 lines..if u wan pride urself do am with style and wella, no dey do like nollyhood after dem don do SHITS finish, dem go come write TO GOD BE THE GLORY. IF I HEAR! Life is vanity so is ur greymatter.MAKE IT A LIFESTYLE, from ur heart, TO ALWAYS APPRECIATE GOD FOR U seem to do well or even bad! They like u cos God made dem to... AM I COMMUNICATING?

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by lifestyle1(m): 9:45pm On Jul 26, 2013
This thread was created a year ago... grin
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Fadelex(m): 9:50pm On Jul 26, 2013
so impressed with the analysis goin on here, the issue is that it depend on the course, if you're studying management related courses like biz admin, accounting, economics, banking, insurance etc or social science courses like psychology, sociology, political science and so on, you need a good grade @ least 2.2 to be relevant in your field but if you're into practical oriented courses like building tech, architecture, computer science, medical science and so on, all you need is d practical knowledge, most private agency that employ people in this field care less about your grade, all they want is result. I studied building tech and I made lower credit in my hnd, not because I was dull, infact I was above average but I didn't make good grade cuz
1. I was working and schooling at d same time
2. I didn't really take d theoretical aspect serious cuz I know most of the theories are not practicable on site
3. I refused to settle
4. I was always @ logger head with lecturers

I know I have no excuse not to make good grade but I'm lucky cuz in my field nobody care about your grade... all they want is result

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Fadelex(m): 9:53pm On Jul 26, 2013
life_style: This thread was created a year ago... grin
and so what? d information might be helpful to someone else...we are talking of academics here not tonto dikeh and iyanya

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jul 26, 2013
Seriously speaking.....I don't understand how one can graduate with a third class in a FIELD....that's just an OLODO grade...that means you are plain incompetent in that particular field....Does that mean you are incompetent overall? NO! it means maybe u should try a different field....

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by sylbaba: 10:02pm On Jul 26, 2013
I am writing frm phc. Was an ivy student frm primary schl. Had scholarships till univ edu. Was meant to study medicine,had 2mrks off frm d cut off. Friend talked me into doing geology. To be frank, neva liked dt course n ended up stayin 6plus 1 yr in schl instead of d normal 4 yrs. Made third class. Neva hid my identity. Knew dt wasnt d best of my ability. Did oracle at niit, was d best in my set. Even b4 nysc finished,had offers. Nw work in an oil firm in bayelsa n doing exceptionally very gud just 2yrs i finished nysc. Neva doubted in my self,had 3rd class - knew it,but it never weighed me down.

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by afolayangs(m): 10:07pm On Jul 26, 2013
candylips: go do a masters
my cousin graduated with a 3rd class in economics but after nycs she travelled for her mba and return last yr feb. she got an offer with 7up this week
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by gbokukueba(m): 10:09pm On Jul 26, 2013
Zhul001: A topic well dealth with, kudos to the likes of Spicy and Ajanlekoko. I dont know if anyone will concur with my opinion about this issue, with my little experience about this world. I think 90% of parents send there kids to school for 'self dependency' (bucks) in the near future. From my own statistics i think there are four categories of "megabucks" makers (bucks boiz) in nigeria viz

1.The Politicians
2.The Powerful
3.The Self employed
4.The Farouk lawans (fast guys,cocaine pushers)
If you dont fall among these four, then i doubt your prowess of making megabucks in naija. Mumuring? Yes i did'nt mention the civil servants, the first class bookwarms, the engineers, right? (The hardworkers) why? Because these set of people are paid by (The bucks boiz) no matter how many years The hardworkers work for these bucks boys, fine, they can be living in one of those tushed areas in abuja,but bet me they can hardly have more than enough or even enough for themselves and there extended family,imagine you go to work 7am-7pm, every damn! Day of your week days common? You were created by God not those who you work for. But take a minute, why are we going to school? With a crude answer: to make money.
In a nutshell, never ever use your school result to set limits for your future, you are much more than that dude,forget that result, render services, sell something, nigerians will never stop eating, unravel your natural potential and maximize it (singing, businesslike,sports,creating ideas, crafty) think!!!! There is something in you that can run you into bucks, you might endup among the "Bucks boiz"(self emloyed) but mind you, you have to be optimistic,determined,disciplined and committed.
For me am likely to graduate with a third class but mehn, you see that poultry thing ba, i sabi am die. The money wey dy dere na like ritual money, though with risk, so if way no way omo na to hustle oo...but one tn sure i no wan work under any bagger.peaceA topic well dealth with, kudos to the likes of Spicy and Ajanlekoko. I dont know if anyone will concur with my opinion about this issue, with my little experience about this world. I think 90% of parents send there kids to school for 'self dependency' (bucks) in the near future. From my own statistics i think there are four categories of "megabucks" makers (bucks boiz) in nigeria viz

1.The Politicians
2.The Powerful
3.The Self employed
If you dont fall among these four, then i doubt your prowess of making megabucks in naija. Mumuring? Yes i did'nt mention the civil servants, the first class bookwarms, the engineers, right? (The hardworkers) why? Because these set of people are paid by (The bucks boiz) no matter how many years The hardworkers work for these bucks boys, fine, they can be living in one of those tushed areas in abuja,but bet me they can hardly have more than enough or even enough for themselves and there extended family,imagine you go to work 7am-7pm, every damn! Day of your week days common? You were created by God not those who you work for. But take a minute, why are we going to school? With a crude answer: to make money.
In a nutshell, never ever use your school result to set limits for your future, you are much more than that dude,forget that result, render services, sell something, nigerians will never stop eating, unravel your natural potential and maximize it (singing, businesslike,sports,creating ideas, crafty) think!!!! There is something in you that can run you into bucks, you might endup among the "Bucks boiz"(self emloyed) but mind you, you have to be optimistic,determined,disciplined and committed.
For me am likely to graduate with a third class but mehn, you see that poultry thing ba, i sabi am die. The money wey dy dere na like ritual money, though with risk, so if way no way omo na to hustle oo...but one tn sure i no wan work under any bagger.peace
A topic well dealth with, kudos to the likes of Spicy and Ajanlekoko. I dont know if anyone will concur with my opinion about this issue, with my little experience about this world. I think 90% of parents send there kids to school for 'self dependency' (bucks) in the near future. From my own statistics i think there are four categories of "megabucks" makers (bucks boiz) in nigeria viz

1.The Politicians
2.The Powerful
3.The Self employed
For me am likely to graduate with a third class but mehn, you see that poultry thing ba, i sabi am die. The money wey dy dere na like ritual money, though with risk, so if way no way omo na to hustle oo...but one tn sure i no wan work under any bagger.peace

This is the worst post ever on Nairaland! lipsrsealed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Fadelex(m): 10:12pm On Jul 26, 2013
gbokukueba:

This is the worst post ever on Nairaland! lipsrsealed
was that the reason you quoted him thrice? you need to be wiped

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by ireneidiva(f): 10:13pm On Jul 26, 2013
First class or 2.1 with an MSC is cool for me. DaZz all
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by zibi2(m): 10:15pm On Jul 26, 2013
What are we talking about here if you don't go to school the call you an illiterate you go to school and graduate with a 3rd class or 2.2 is a big deal problem.Please nairaland the are a lot of 3rd class 2.2 graduate and even primary/secondary school graduate including drop out that are successful millionaires and billionaires.All of you should go and eat food.Just believe in your self dreams don't give up be determine and be hard working expect when the grace of God comes in.Who are you with your first class or 2.1 compared to dangote/bill gate.I said go and eat food,I don't have time to list all the millionaires and billionaires.Note Poverty can destroy a man's holiness and you can offend more people with your poverty than with your prosperity.Be succesful.

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jul 26, 2013
SimplySEA: Ha...... Wat a relief! Wisdom atlast in NL. Where hav people been? Nice to meet u all!
@ miss spicy. I must say dis. Yr use of English is jus too clean 4a third class grad. It Speaks volumes for other non academic factors dat affect student's performance in our academic system! I kno many 2.1 grads wit very poor use of English, both in writin as well as speakin.
@mr Ajans, u're truly an inspiration!
My thoughts exactly. I must say I am quite impressed with her style of writing. Most Nigerian graduates cannot construct simple sentence without grammatical blunders. @spicy I must say I am Impressed. Cheers. wink
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by tope56(m): 10:17pm On Jul 26, 2013
I had 3rd class grade and in all the interview l,ve attended, they have never ask of my grade or my score in school, all what they want to see is your confidence and your ability to perform your job functions very well. In my present job, l did interview with people that have 2.1 and first class and by the grace of God l was given the job with salary that is above industry average with no professional certificate.
Advice: Do not underestimate or over estimate your self you are who you think you are not what people think you are and don't listen to what people say about especially from negative thinking people. All my close friends almost have 3rd class except for one that had 2.1 and all of them have gotten well paying job except for one that have 2.1.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by lifestyle1(m): 10:21pm On Jul 26, 2013
Fadelex:
and so what? d information might be helpful to someone else...we are talking of academics here not tonto dikeh and iyanya

angry
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by canalily(m): 10:25pm On Jul 26, 2013
undecided well unless you didn't study under some of those wicked lectures who have a special way of bringing one down in their courses. And maybe they didnt handle courses for u till yr 3.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Fadelex(m): 10:27pm On Jul 26, 2013
life_style:

angry
wink
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by orgasticdance: 10:27pm On Jul 26, 2013
why bother, this economy isn't even churning enough jobs for first class types undecided
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by PStacks(m): 10:34pm On Jul 26, 2013
No single piece of paper, not even a Certicate has been able to capture genius.

Graduating a 1st class student hasn't said u'r a genius.. Graduating a 3rd class hasn't said u'r a failure either.

It all depends on the individual in question.

I'm just too proud of my 2-2 and can defend it anywhere and that's it.

When you talk of 2-2 and 3rd class that way, what do you make of people that dropped out'a school entirely and still made a success of themselves..

What do you make of people their teachers and lecturers categorically told them they are too dumb and cants make anything of their lives and still went ahead against all odd to do something way out of the ordinary for themselves...

Bill Gates.
Steve Jobs.
Mark Zuckerberg.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Atigba: 10:35pm On Jul 26, 2013
All I know is that I made 2-2 and am excelling in my field of study. Though am doing my Msc Accounting now.so many nigeria youths made 2-2 or even 3rd class in the university.making 2-1 is not a prerequisite for getting a good job we all know the kind of society we live in,I got a job immediately after my youth services in a fedral university as an Accountant.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by ade2kay(m): 10:39pm On Jul 26, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Everybody is doing their best to de-emphasize educational achievement. It's hard not to see that most are consoling themselves over their poor performance at school.

Quite, education is not a precursor to success. Why then did people waste time and money going to school? The whole purpose of learning in an academic environment is defeated if the students don't feel they need to do well. My opinion.

All told, it's better to graduate with a good grade. If you intend to pursue a career using your certificate, you'd be better off if you left school with an above-average degree. But if you feel good grades at school are not important, no need to waste your time and other people's money studying for a degree. Just get right on with whatever you feel will bring you success.
God bless you bros.
It is very wrong to de-emphasize a degree grade. Being able to finish your degree with a good grade shows how resilient you can be in the most dire of situations, whether you can deliver in the big games, whether you can hold it down when the academic stress is much, and you can stick to the rules and you can perform well even with poor facilities.
Pray, how do you think you will succeed in the world of entreprenuership that's so fuzzy and needs so much effort if you can not follow the simple rules of -"attend lectures, prepare for exams and pass exams".
Let no one console himself for his poor grades; if u're not cut out for academics, don't waste ur and your sponsor's time and money, learn a skill/trade or buying and selling!

5 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by prodam(m): 10:48pm On Jul 26, 2013
Making a 2-2 or 3rd class can never set a limit for you except if you want it to.

Work on yourself, I mean your inner self, you know what you want, you know why you made that grade, you know your strengths and weaknesses. There is something you have a burning desire for, pursue it at all cost, even if it is still academics. Cause a change, be a source of inspiration to others, stand out by ignoring the failure of people who were in your issues and trusting and impressing yourself.

I have lots of friends with 2-2 or a few with 3rd class, who are doing greatly in various disciplines, both within their original fields and outside.

Your result cannot solely determine ur altitude, what determines that is your Attitude especially in a country like Nigeria where a whole lot of factors could decide one's fate.

On a final note, Discover your life PURPOSE and the world would adore you like ROSE.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jul 26, 2013
spicy v: I graduated in 2005 with a 3rd class in a field a lot θf people consider professional but as far as I was and am still concerned, its a boooooring field! Having realized that, I quickly started the interesting process θf self discovery, armed with this knowledge, I went to a private organization to volunteer,that was before NYSC, during my service year alone, I had three job offers! Back then, I humorously say to my friends who were crazy about the masters degree that with all their certification, I would be offered a job before they would be considered if we all went for the same interview.

Truth is every employer I have ever come across find it hard to accept that I had a 3rd class and that is because θf my overall presentation, intelligent manner in which I engage their minds, the excessive passion I exude and the subtle but hard to miss its-your-loss-if-I-am-not-a-part-of-your-team aura I naturally exude.

In summary, I would say, if you have the opportunity to bag another degree and certification, go ahead! But you have got to be able to back it up else its just a waste θf time, effort and money!!!

I apologise if subsequent posts addressed the issue, but I didn't read beyond this post because I considered it quite interesting. As a 'member' of the higher order, your post already assures me that you're not a typical airhead that has nothing but excuses to offer for woeful academic perfomance. Your English, choice of words, and the sophisticated 'nuances' in your presentation are not run-of-the-mill. Anyways.

I ask only one question: Why did you graduate with a third class degree? I assume there is a cogent (and perhaps verifiable) reason. It is not enough to give hope to nitwits in the name of encouraging people that made third class. The specificities of different contexts must be clarified (if you know what I mean). The fact that Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg are drop-outs that eventuallly became bilionaires does not mean that is is likely for any random drop-out to become a billionaire. It is all about context.

Kindly clarify the 'context' of your third class degree, your discipline, and the professional successes you have achieved. It would be great if you are 100% honest about it, that is if your 'memory' permits.

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Akieagle: 10:51pm On Jul 26, 2013
[But all these oil company in bayelsa doesn't like corpers males especially in brass or nembe LGA]I am writing frm phc. Was an ivy student frm primary schl. Had scholarships till univ edu. Was meant to study medicine,had 2mrks off frm d cut off. Friend talked me into doing geology. To be frank, neva liked dt course n ended up stayin 6plus 1 yr in schl instead of d normal 4 yrs. Made third class. Neva hid my identity. Knew dt wasnt d best of my ability. Did oracle at niit, was d best in my set. Even b4 nysc finished,had offers. Nw work in an oil firm in bayelsa n doing exceptionally very gud just 2yrs i finished nysc. Neva doubted in my self,had 3rd class - knew it,but it never weighed me down. [/quote]
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by cyif2003(m): 10:52pm On Jul 26, 2013
sylbaba: I am writing frm phc. Was an ivy student frm primary schl. Had scholarships till univ edu. Was meant to study medicine,had 2mrks off frm d cut off. Friend talked me into doing geology. To be frank, neva liked dt course n ended up stayin 6plus 1 yr in schl instead of d normal 4 yrs. Made third class. Neva hid my identity. Knew dt wasnt d best of my ability. Did oracle at niit, was d best in my set. Even b4 nysc finished,had offers. Nw work in an oil firm in bayelsa n doing exceptionally very gud just 2yrs i finished nysc. Neva doubted in my self,had 3rd class - knew it,but it never weighed me down.
tanx for ur advice bro. It will realy go a long way. Also studied geology nd came out wif a 3rd class. Currently serving. Well I just nid †̥ no. Is it beta †̥ find a job after service or †̥ run sum prof courses?
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by roughdiamond(m): 10:55pm On Jul 26, 2013
Let's stop deceiving ourselves,like i used to tell most of my friends"Nothing can stop a determined mind".It is all in u.
And that's y Vincent Norman wrote;u can if u think u can.the highest resource u need to excel is yourself&the highest factor that can bring you down is yourself.conquer yourself&excel beyond imagination.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by cyif2003(m): 10:57pm On Jul 26, 2013
sanandreas: i just know it will be geology. my broda brace-up we know wetin dey. 30 percent of my course mate are currently in pass,20 percent thirdclass, 40 percent 2:2, 10 percent 2:1. Dnt limit ur self
tanx bro
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jul 26, 2013
roughdiamond: Let's stop deceiving ourselves,like i used to tell most of my friends"Nothing can stop a determined mind".It is all in u.
And that's y Vincent Norman wrote;u can if u think u can.the highest resource u need to excel is yourself&the highest factor that can bring you down is yourself.conquer yourself&excel beyond imagination.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Two Little Boys Plastering A Fence At Aduwawa, Benin, Edo State / Obinna Ebirim, Doctor Works As Kitchen Assistant In UK To Make Extra Money / Pictures Of Tonia Somaga (Lagos State Blue Line Train Driver)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.