Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,185 members, 7,807,622 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? (55145 Views)

Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? / 6 People You Need Around You To Help You Succeed / Pls, How Can One Succeed With Agricultural Economics? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by PStacks(m): 11:05pm On Jul 26, 2013
ade2kay:
God bless you bros.
It is very wrong to de-emphasize a degree grade. Being able to finish your degree with a good grade shows how resilient you can be in the most dire of situations, whether you can deliver in the big games, whether you can hold it down when the academic stress is much, and you can stick to the rules and you can perform well even with poor facilities.
Pray, how do you think you will succeed in the world of entreprenuership that's so fuzzy and needs so much effort if you can not follow the simple rules of -"attend lectures, prepare for exams and pass exams".
Let no one console himself for his poor grades; if u're not cut out for academics, don't waste ur and your sponsor's time and money, learn a skill/trade or buying and selling!

That's the problem with my dear Country Nigeria.. Too much Emphasis are placed on Certificates and no emphasis on what's in the persons head, no emphasis on what's the person's passion, no emphasis on what is the person's talent and natural skills..

Too much emphasis on Degree we have female students sleep with lecturers just to earn grades and make a 2-1.. Is this true reflection of a true 2-1. We have male Students write a whole Expo manuscript and take into the exam hall just to make grades and that's why we have unemployable graduates everywhere in the society, we have educated illitrates, in our society, we have half baked graduates, we have people who in the first place had no reason to be in the university or polytechniques but rather vocationaly sound, but since the society values Degree irrespective of how u get, we are faced with the problems at hand.

We must de-emphasis degree and promote specific skills and talent hunts rather than the degree madness.

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by yinchar(m): 11:07pm On Jul 26, 2013
Graduating with a 2-2 or 3rd class didn't meant the end of the world, what really matters is the level of aspiration and determination to excel in you, considering different factors that should be taken into consideration in the grade of a Nigerian graduate, 2-2 or 3rd class shouldn't be used to determine the level of intellectuality, i personally graduated with a 2-2 in Computer Science, went for my masters abroad and graduated with 1st class, excel in different professional certification i never thought i could pass...and presently getting many offers for fully paid PhD scholarship in top universities in US.

We all know the problem with Nigerian educational system, ranging from randy lecturers to poor teaching facilities, the most important thing is to get something extra on top that 2-2 or 3rd class, either professional certificate or masters program and you would be glad you did.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Patywilly: 11:10pm On Jul 26, 2013
very educative and enlightening thread...thumbs up guys.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by TOBIeee68(m): 11:29pm On Jul 26, 2013
I graduated i̶̲̥̅̊n 2011 wit 2nd class i̶̲̥̅̊n lautech and noun wit 1class ryt workin wit federal govrn. Az a computer student »̶̥A̶̲̥̅♏ abt ϯ♡ pursue mai master ryt nah. It nt easy mai ple pls dnt blame dose wu graduate wit 3rd class evry1 az z own reason

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by dplomaticVal: 11:54pm On Jul 26, 2013
This piffling thread ws creatd in 2012 and by virtue shld be in d recycle bin nt FP!!! NL z beginnin t irritate me. mssw angry
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by MOORCHMOORE(m): 11:59pm On Jul 26, 2013
@op, I don't think this topic should head 2.2, because Employers in Nigeria still put them into considerations unlike the 3rd class graduates.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Ayandaseyi(m): 12:16am On Jul 27, 2013
Wen countries like china are investing on their potential,NIGERIA is investing on credential,until we come to be thinking like potential countries,we wil never be develop.. One of my frnd at Futminna,to be specific Microbiology do everything to get 1st class bt go out there receive hook_shock
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by teebadmus(m): 12:20am On Jul 27, 2013
Seconded by me. Both spicy n ajans ar really building an edifice outta d broken pieces of ds "seeming" hopeless pple. Love u plenty!
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by garamah: 12:48am On Jul 27, 2013
Been a first class graduate does not guarantee your employment
What you have in your head will. They can never determine your success but only you can,
What's Bill gate grade and other worth emulating world CEOs. Thanks
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by uchechuwku: 12:49am On Jul 27, 2013
spicy v: Uncle Ajanlekoko: "most people who do poorly in school aren't suited for academic work"? Sir, that's not a fact o. Are you aware that a lot θf factors other than being non academically sound is responsible for undergraduates students graduating with such grade? My O'levels for instance was cleared in one sitting with enviable grades! And I know θf many graduates too, whose O'level certs are great yet graduated with a 3rd class. Please understand that the grade you graduate with especially graduates from the late 90s downward is not a true test θf your academic knowledge!

That's another topic for another thread sir.

I just had to quote this. You just gave my life's summary.
My GF do ask me what happened to the "uche" from sec skul.
In her words, "uche, it seemed to me like you lost your brains for 6 years" (5 yrs course, had an extra semester+slow pace of approving results = 6 yrs)
Well, I'm happy I graduated.
Studied pure and applied Physics.
And Yes, I studied the wrong course.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by ATMCARD2(m): 12:56am On Jul 27, 2013
Though,am nt in any of dcategories here,but i just decided 2 cmmt.Destinies r nt d same,weda u graduatd wit 2.2,...3rd class or Pass.In as much as u hv GOD n LONG LEGS,dear d job is urs.Even wen d interview is over,itz just 2 put call across.I recald wat hpnd wen i was dng ma NYSC,a frnd of mine was serving at Custom wen vaccancies cm out he applied wit Millions of odas dat cm 4rm diffrnt States,tym 4 d exam,many were shortlistd 2gda wit hm n oda corpers,afta d exams,they markd d papers wit sm corpers n Staff,whc they scord themslves highier,2 months late,special candidates cm 4rm Presidency,no exams,no interview,just askd them 2 drop their names n cm bk afta 2day 4 Apptmt letters.Even ma frnd dat had 2.1 n oda corpers dat were servin wen d recruitment was on didn't succeed while d letters was shard only 2 V.I.P wit 2,2,3rd class etc.NAIJA I HAIL THEE!!!

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Nobody: 1:27am On Jul 27, 2013
Well, there is no need for the comparism. If you made a first clas, 2nd class or 3rd class, good for you. If you feel it doesn't reflect your performance, the best thing to do is to get yourself equiped. Grading system happens everywhere, even during interview sessions. So its never a bad idea. Its not just credible in Nigeria as a lot of people got it through dubious means. So what I obviously know is that there is a difference between being intelligent, brilliant and smart. Make sure you don't miss out on any of the three. I've had superb interview recently where I was interviewed by top HRs, and in it I wasn't like an interviewee, I hijacked the interview and made it mine. I left the office and I knew I would be called. So it just boils down on how you've developed yourself. NB: I don't like the idea of running down grades, if you have a good grade and good CGPA it stands also for you if you can defend them.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by babsomotde(m): 1:29am On Jul 27, 2013
Be an enterprenuer. Fast route.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Nobody: 1:30am On Jul 27, 2013
[size=14pt]Having skimmed through the thread, I noticed out of the people who made 3rd class out of University, only the females seem to be the ones who have succeeded thus far ~ am I missing something?[/size]

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Nobody: 1:36am On Jul 27, 2013
9jacrip: [size=14pt]Having skimmed through the thread, I noticed out of the people who made 3rd class out of University, only the females seem to be the ones who have succeeded thus far ~ am I missing something?[/size]
exactly, its not so easy man. Women could scale through, atleast I have a family friend who made a 3rd class and she's working right now earning 135k monthly. For me, don't take solace in that 3rd class, develop yourself, take up something more promising, do some certification programmes. Most times our words might sound so easy but in reality there way not that east at all.

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by McNelson(m): 2:06am On Jul 27, 2013
Hmmmmmmmm.......What an interesting thread! Infact, i don't even have a class. I am more or less like a drop out. I discovered my career path when i was in my final year in LASU studying accounting. Guys, it's not about academic qualification, it is about discovering your purpose in life. Now, I consult for most IT Firms and Academic Institution as an ICT consultant. It all depends on your own definition of success............Never expect life to be fair to you.

Note: It's not what you don't have that limits you...............but what you have and don't know how to use.

Olubunmi-Nelson
www.oluunmi-nelson.com

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Nobody: 2:43am On Jul 27, 2013
SimplySEA: Ha...... Wat a relief! Wisdom atlast in NL. Where hav people been? Nice to meet u all!
@ miss spicy. I must say dis. Yr use of English is jus too clean 4a third class grad. It Speaks volumes for other non academic factors dat affect student's performance in our academic system! I kno many 2.1 grads wit very poor use of English, both in writin as well as speakin.
@mr Ajans, u're truly an inspiration!

Gettin a 2.1 nd above is as result of the combination of various qualities, of which flawless use of English is one. U don even c her handwritting sef?
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Ramanto(m): 2:54am On Jul 27, 2013
is 2 2 really that bad?
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Ramanto(m): 2:55am On Jul 27, 2013
[quote
author=Blackteeth]Many people think that finishing with a 2-2 or 3rd
class places them in a disadvantaged position and trims their chances of
getting a job easily cos many employers don't give these category of
graduates the opportunity to prove themselves.
I would like those who had a 2-2 or 3rd class and are presently
successful to tell us how they emerged successful despite the
disadvantage, so to encourage those who have lost hope cos of the poor
result they had.[/quote]
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Ishikanda: 4:16am On Jul 27, 2013
I am highly impressed with some of the views expressed here, however I need to make something clear, good grades cannot be over emphasized, so if you are still in school PLEASE study hard and make very good grades (it will increase your opportunities)

I will make my story very brief, i made a 2:2 in petroleum engineering, I started with a local ( Nigerian) company (did not have the opportunity with the multi nationals) where my salary could not even feed me talk less of taking care of me, but I decided not to despise little beginnings so I gave it my best shot (entirely Gods favour) and one of the technical partners (expert) helped me to proceed for my masters degree in the UK, in fact he identified the school and gave me free accomodation ( only God can do this type of thing), anyway it was not all rosy at first while in the I suffered a lot doing 2 /3 jobs at times, to cut the story short, I started writing about 10 applications daily (a few months to course completion) the company I eventually worked for rejected me 3 times and on the 4th time gave me the employment to work in the north sea at the time ( I wrote to their different branches )

So in conclusion, make a good grade if you can, and if not, you need to have the tenacity of a weed in pursuing your desired goals

Am working in Nigeria with a multi national company now ( salary really good) am sure I don't deserve this as I am not as smart as a lot of folks I see around everyday especially on NL, what can I say! Gods favour

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by mkoabiola: 5:58am On Jul 27, 2013
Na nja we de,no matter d grade u go succeeed.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by AroOkigbo(m): 6:17am On Jul 27, 2013
spicy v: I graduated in 2005 with a 3rd class in a field a lot θf people consider professional but as far as I was and am still concerned, its a boooooring field! Having realized that, I quickly started the interesting process θf self discovery, armed with this knowledge, I went to a private organization to volunteer,that was before NYSC, during my service year alone, I had three job offers! Back then, I humorously say to my friends who were crazy about the masters degree that with all their certification, I would be offered a job before they would be considered if we all went for the same interview.

Truth is every employer I have ever come across find it hard to accept that I had a 3rd class and that is because θf my overall presentation, intelligent manner in which I engage their minds, the excessive passion I exude and the subtle but hard to miss its-your-loss-if-I-am-not-a-part-of-your-team aura I naturally exude.

In summary, I would say, if you have the opportunity to bag another degree and certification, go ahead! But you have got to be able to back it up else its just a waste θf time, effort and money!!!

YOU ARE A LADY, THERE ARE OTHER THINGS THEY SEE!
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by abbeydammy(m): 6:37am On Jul 27, 2013
if u ar 2.2 graduate, d best is to go for ur masters bt God understands everything, He 'll make a way for u.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by bensky: 6:46am On Jul 27, 2013
I finished with a 3rd class, but from the day I graduated till date, I've not lacked job I've been moving from one firm to another. The truth is even though I have a done a masters sometimes I'm asking why I even bordered cos, degree don't sell always sells it is experienced that sells.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by DEGREE2466(m): 6:47am On Jul 27, 2013
Wow! Thank u all for the commentd so far. Am still an undergraduate hoping and praying to God for a better grade. But good grade as I know can also act as an inspiration to ur children.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Tjesctacy(m): 6:51am On Jul 27, 2013
Very Educative thread, even if ℓ̊t ώάş recycled, thread like this are d reason ℓ̊ come online on Nairaland everyday τ̲̅ȍ see if ℓ̊ can add τ̲̅ȍ my knowledge, and boost my morale,thumb up τ̲̅ȍ all who have done justice τ̲̅ȍ this topic. ℓ̊ wish everyone Ğoº°˚°ºϑ luck i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ there endeavours.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Gudintent: 6:52am On Jul 27, 2013
I wouldn't know I obtained a first class in my dreams tongue
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Nobody: 6:59am On Jul 27, 2013
Anybody talking about 1.1, 2.1 or 2.2, its either you are an undergraduate or you are still an unemployed graduate.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by opendo21(m): 7:29am On Jul 27, 2013
ireneidiva: First class or 2.1 with an MSC is cool for me. DaZz all
Love your signature. Sums up everything that has been said on this thread. Everyone has potential. Ur job is to find and develop it.
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by Boll2010: 7:33am On Jul 27, 2013
dplomaticVal: This piffling thread ws creatd in 2012 and by virtue shld be in d recycle bin nt FP!!! NL z beginnin t irritate me. mssw angry
kai!! Man of principle...very diplomatic,go with the rules all the tym...sorry bro while in skul I gez u gonna jst read n pass type...my sociology lecturer den use to tel me SOCIETY XPECT U TO DEVIATE,so seeing it on FP mayb the MODS deviated sumtyms in life u bend the law so far it will favour a large crowd whch I tink its already doing!so atyms u deviate frm d rules laid down#no offence bro one love!
Re: How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? by tiwasiaife(m): 7:36am On Jul 27, 2013
sylbaba: I am writing frm phc. Was an ivy student frm primary schl. Had scholarships till univ edu. Was meant to study medicine,had 2mrks off frm d cut off. Friend talked me into doing geology. To be frank, neva liked dt course n ended up stayin 6plus 1 yr in schl instead of d normal 4 yrs. Made third class. Neva hid my identity. Knew dt wasnt d best of my ability. Did oracle at niit, was d best in my set. Even b4 nysc finished,had offers. Nw work in an oil firm in bayelsa n doing exceptionally very gud just 2yrs i finished nysc. Neva doubted in my self,had 3rd class - knew it,but it never weighed me down.
bro i would lv to have a private chat wit u. Txt me ur names so as to use it and find u on fbk. Plz would reali lv to have a chat wit u on fbk 07031675642.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Two Little Boys Plastering A Fence At Aduwawa, Benin, Edo State / Obinna Ebirim, Doctor Works As Kitchen Assistant In UK To Make Extra Money / Pictures Of Tonia Somaga (Lagos State Blue Line Train Driver)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.