Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:21 PM

Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) (6280 Views)

Police Character Certificate For Australia Student Visa / Australia Student Visa And Evidence Of Source Of Funding / Visa Requirements For Dubai? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) by MisterNRC(m): 10:01am On Jul 16, 2012
If you’re thinking of applying for study in Australia, you need to be aware of some of the changes introduced by the Australian Government in 2012 that affect student visas and skilled migration. These changes follow the Knight Review(see below) — a report that aims to improve Australia’s policies regarding international students.

Earlier in the year, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) made the following changes:

It announced plans to introduce a post-study work visa, which allows graduates of bachelor, masters and PhDs to work in Australia for up to four years after they graduate.
It allowed student visa applicants to submit results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT), the Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic and the Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test. Previously, DIAC only accepted IELTS results.
It allowed prepaid homestay fees to be included in the financial requirements assessment.
It extended the period of time that PhD students can stay in Australia while their research work is being marked.
It reduced the financial requirements for Assessment Level 3 and 4 student visa applicants — they will need up to approximately AUD$36,000 less in the bank when applying for a visa.
It discontinued the pre-visa assessment (PVA) policy for student visa applicants from Assessment Levels 3 and 4 who were enrolling in a bachelor degree or higher qualification.
It lowered the student visa assessment levels for applicants from some countries.
Other changes will affect the following:

Visa costs
A non-refundable visa application charge of AUD$535 now applies to most visa applications (previously AUD$565). Fees do not apply to students sponsored under Commonwealth-approved programs, secondary school exchange students or students affected by the closure of their education provider.

Visa cancellation
The government plans to abolish the policy that sees student visas automatically cancelled for unsatisfactory attendance, unsatisfactory progress and working in excess of the hours allowed. Although students will still risk visa cancellation over these breaches, each student's case will be assessed by DIAC on an individual basis. In line with the Knight Review, this will ensure a fairer process for students who breach visa conditions.

Visa processing for higher education students
Student visa applicants who lodge their applications with a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from a participating university in Australia at bachelor, masters or doctoral degree level will be assessed as though they are a lower migration risk (similar to the current Assessment Level 1), regardless of their country of origin.

Permission to work
Students who were granted a student visa on or after 26 April 2008 have automatic work rights — included in the $535 visa application charge. If, however, you were granted a student visa before this date and wish to apply for work rights, this will attract a fee of $75.

Employment restrictions
Before March 2012, international students were able to work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week. This has been changed to a more flexible 40 hours per fortnight, meaning you can work 15 hours one week and 25 hours the following week, rather than strictly 20 hours per week. Students can begin work once they have commenced a course of study, and limits only apply when their course is in session (students may work unlimited hours during semester breaks). Work limits do not apply to students completing a masters or doctoral degree. See Flexible working conditions for more information.

Skilled migration visas
As part of DIAC’s reforms to the skilled migration program, three new points-tested skilled migration visa subclasses have been introduced: subclass 189 (skilled independent), subclass 190 (skilled nominated) and subclass 489 (skilled regional — provisional). These three subclasses consolidate the six existing skilled migration visa subclasses — 175, 176, 475, 885, 886 and 487. The location requirements for the above subclasses have been removed, meaning that applicants may be inside or outside of Australia at the time of application. The requirement of recent Australian study or work experience has also been removed, but this still remains a part of the points test. Applicants must complete an online Expression of Interest through DIAC’s new SkillSelect online service (see below).

Skilled migration process
DIAC has introduced an online service called SkillSelect, which enables skilled workers interested in migrating to Australia to lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI). Once their application is lodged (including their skills and attributes ranked against the points test), intending migrants may be nominated for a skilled visa by Australian employers or government departments, or may be invited to lodge a visa application. Once an invitation is made, you must provide evidence that the information supplied is correct. This service has been designed to address skills shortages and will allow applicants to indicate whether they would like to work in regional areas, where some occupations are experiencing significant shortages. See the SkillSelect website(below) for more information.

References:

Source - http://www.studiesinaustralia.com/news/important-changes-to-student-visa-requirements-
Knights Review - http://www.immi.gov.au/students/knight/
SkillSelect - http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/
Department of Immigration and Citizenship - http://www.immi.gov.au/students/whats_new.htm
Re: Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) by justwise(m): 10:10am On Jul 16, 2012
Mister NRC: If you’re thinking of applying for study in Australia, you need to be aware of some of the changes introduced by the Australian Government in 2012 that affect student visas and skilled migration. These changes follow the Knight Review(see below) — a report that aims to improve Australia’s policies regarding international students.

Earlier in the year, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) made the following changes:

It announced plans to introduce a post-study work visa, which allows graduates of bachelor, masters and PhDs to work in Australia for up to four years after they graduate.
It allowed student visa applicants to submit results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT), the Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic and the Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test. Previously, DIAC only accepted IELTS results.
It allowed prepaid homestay fees to be included in the financial requirements assessment.
It extended the period of time that PhD students can stay in Australia while their research work is being marked.
It reduced the financial requirements for Assessment Level 3 and 4 student visa applicants — they will need up to approximately AUD$36,000 less in the bank when applying for a visa.
It discontinued the pre-visa assessment (PVA) policy for student visa applicants from Assessment Levels 3 and 4 who were enrolling in a bachelor degree or higher qualification.
It lowered the student visa assessment levels for applicants from some countries.
Other changes will affect the following:

Visa costs
[b]A non-refundable visa application charge of AUD$535 now applies to most visa applications (previously AUD$565). [/b]Fees do not apply to students sponsored under Commonwealth-approved programs, secondary school exchange students or students affected by the closure of their education provider.

Visa cancellation
The government plans to abolish the policy that sees student visas automatically cancelled for unsatisfactory attendance, unsatisfactory progress and working in excess of the hours allowed. Although students will still risk visa cancellation over these breaches, each student's case will be assessed by DIAC on an individual basis. In line with the Knight Review, this will ensure a fairer process for students who breach visa conditions.

Visa processing for higher education students
Student visa applicants who lodge their applications with a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from a participating university in Australia at bachelor, masters or doctoral degree level will be assessed as though they are a lower migration risk (similar to the current Assessment Level 1), regardless of their country of origin.

Permission to work
Students who were granted a student visa on or after 26 April 2008 have automatic work rights — included in the $535 visa application charge. If, however, you were granted a student visa before this date and wish to apply for work rights, this will attract a fee of $75.

Employment restrictions
Before March 2012, international students were able to work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week. This has been changed to a more flexible 40 hours per fortnight, meaning you can work 15 hours one week and 25 hours the following week, rather than strictly 20 hours per week. Students can begin work once they have commenced a course of study, and limits only apply when their course is in session (students may work unlimited hours during semester breaks). Work limits do not apply to students completing a masters or doctoral degree. See Flexible working conditions for more information.

Skilled migration visas
As part of DIAC’s reforms to the skilled migration program, three new points-tested skilled migration visa subclasses have been introduced: subclass 189 (skilled independent), subclass 190 (skilled nominated) and subclass 489 (skilled regional — provisional). These three subclasses consolidate the six existing skilled migration visa subclasses — 175, 176, 475, 885, 886 and 487. The location requirements for the above subclasses have been removed, meaning that applicants may be inside or outside of Australia at the time of application. The requirement of recent Australian study or work experience has also been removed, but this still remains a part of the points test. Applicants must complete an online Expression of Interest through DIAC’s new SkillSelect online service (see below).

Skilled migration process
DIAC has introduced an online service called SkillSelect, which enables skilled workers interested in migrating to Australia to lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI). Once their application is lodged (including their skills and attributes ranked against the points test), intending migrants may be nominated for a skilled visa by Australian employers or government departments, or may be invited to lodge a visa application. Once an invitation is made, you must provide evidence that the information supplied is correct. This service has been designed to address skills shortages and will allow applicants to indicate whether they would like to work in regional areas, where some occupations are experiencing significant shortages. See the SkillSelect website(below) for more information.

References:

Source - http://www.studiesinaustralia.com/news/important-changes-to-student-visa-requirements-
Knights Review - http://www.immi.gov.au/students/knight/
SkillSelect - http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/
Department of Immigration and Citizenship - http://www.immi.gov.au/students/whats_new.htm

Very smart move, they waited for the UK to make mistake then they pounced. Making Australia an attractive destination for foreign students.
Re: Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) by SirP1: 10:18am On Jul 16, 2012
Whoa, I really pity the UK. Canada and Australia are making friendlier immig. policies, uk is busy driving students away with their harsh ones.. By time they realise what they're doing to themselves it might be too late
Re: Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) by MisterNRC(m): 3:10pm On Jul 16, 2012
@justwise: one mans meat is another's poison.
Re: Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) by Nobody: 3:43am On Jul 20, 2012
@justwise.. very smart move indeed. The UK will be history in no time as International students will prefer Canada and Australia to study and work after their studies. grin
Re: Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) by justwise(m): 6:43am On Jul 20, 2012
Mister NRC: @justwise: one mans meat is another's poison.

luizworld: @justwise.. very smart move indeed. The UK will be history in no time as International students will prefer Canada and Australia to study and work after their studies. grin

UK will change their mind after this admission season, they will relax some of those rules again by the time the affect start biting the universities.
Re: Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) by jidowu(m): 7:54am On Jul 20, 2012
Gudday to you all am a 3l student of futa here in nigeria..studying estate management thou 4 nw i got no international passport bur i wana travel abroad 2 study and work if the opportunity arises..all i need his the right steps and procedure 2 start on time b4 i graduate maybe i did be lucky,u could drop ur email addresses 4 contact..thanks
Re: Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) by Goddey2012(f): 12:28am On Jul 22, 2012
@MISTER NRC,thanks for the useful info it clarified some issues for me kindly sent u a mail pls respond

thanks
Re: Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 22, 2012
justwise:

UK will change their mind after this admission season, they will relax some of those rules again by the time the affect start biting the universities.
Yea... I wouldn't be surprised if PSW is reintroduced when the Labour government takes over Britain.
Re: Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) by justwise(m): 3:22pm On Jul 22, 2012
luizworld: Yea... I wouldn't be surprised if PSW is reintroduced when the Labour government takes over Britain.

Will be too late then.
Re: Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) by wahabcoal(m): 1:44pm On Aug 29, 2012
House, I would like to know if there is Age limit for studying an Undergraduate course
In Oz. I hold a Bsc in Accounting but would like to start an IT career afresh, not even PGD.
I'm looking at TAFE Diploma in IT then proceed for Msc in Computing, or Bsc in comp.sci direct.
So, would like to know if a 26years old can apply with a 2003 (WAEC)o'level.
Thanks n'landers.
Secondly, a friend, possessing just 2004 o'level wishes to apply also for Undergraduate, any chances for study permit?
Anticipating your reply. smiley
Re: Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) by solomonjesus: 11:50pm On Aug 30, 2012
Thanks for the info
Re: Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) by wahabcoal(m): 3:41am On Aug 31, 2012
Justwise, MR NRC, marcar, please kindly reply my post above.
Thanks,
Re: Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) by MisterNRC(m): 5:55pm On Sep 05, 2012
wahabcoal: Justwise, MR NRC, marcar, please kindly reply my post above.
Thanks,

There is no age limit for undergrad course entries.
Re: Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) by ayinks(m): 7:00am On Nov 21, 2012
Hi everybody, please what is the exchange rate of AUD to Naira please?
Re: Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) by ijeomaobi1: 9:23am On Jul 29, 2013
NRC/justwise,

Please can you guys point me out the country to choose between Australia and Canada. I am planning to do phd and need to know which country to focus on. I have gotten schools in both country and written to them. What am trying to say is this, which of the countries will benefit me as per job as a lecturer and not being discriminated? I have read so much about Canada that it scares me. But, is Australia better off? Will I get a lecturing job? Cost of living and other stuffs? I am going to leave a well paying job in Nigeria to the unknown so I really need to be sure before I leave the shores if nigeria.
Re: Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) by justwise(m): 9:27am On Jul 29, 2013

1 Like

(1)

Namibia Picture Gallery: A Truly Nice Southern African Country / 10 Of The World’s Most Beautiful Airports (pictures) / Malaysian Government Out On Yahoo Yahoo Boys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.