Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,707 members, 7,805,896 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:13 AM

Calling All Greek Mythology Fans - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Calling All Greek Mythology Fans (6998 Views)

International Association Of Independent Journalists Calling All Nairalanders!! / Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread / Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jul 16, 2012
Bring all the Greek Myths You've heard or read over the years:
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jul 16, 2012
Here's one: Long ago, when the Titans ruled the world: Kronos the King Titan had fears that his children were thirsty for power, that they would soon over throw him, so He asked his queen(wife) to give him the children so He could eat them, the wife obeyed and handed Hades and Poseidon over so Kronos could eat them but She hid baby Zeus and gave her husband a big Rock wrapped in Zeus' clothes instead, after many year, Zeus was now grown and his mother told him all that had transpired and how his Siblings were inside the belly of their father(for they were immortal, and could not be digested) Zeus devised a plan and tricked his father into drinking a mixture of Mustard and olive which caused him to throw up and vomit Hades and Poseidon who had been growing even inside their father's stomach....

3 Likes

Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jul 16, 2012
Now the three gods joined forces and overcame their father and Zeus cut Kronos, his father into a million fragments with Kronos' own sword and buried him at the entrance of Tartarus(The Underworld) for Kronos was still alive..then the three gods; Zeus, Poseidon and Hades divided the world between themselves..Zeus took the skies, Poseidon took the seas and Hades tricked by none other than Zeus was Left with the Underworld.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jul 16, 2012
Let have the stories...
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by IlCapitano(m): 6:53pm On Jul 16, 2012
I've got a thing for Greek myths but i think it'd be better if we just discussed &analysed the various mythological books we've read e.gRick Riordan's books.

1 Like

Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jul 16, 2012
Nice, i have read Percy Jackson and the Olympians 1-5, they were good..but I still think having the story straight from the source is better
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 10:52am On Jul 17, 2012
THE STORY OF MEDUSA:- During the reign of the Olympians, there lived a maiden so beautiful, who turned the eyes of Men and even the gods, Poseidon, the lord of the sea, fell in Love with her and starting making advances at her but she refused..but Poseidon kept on, for gods were not easily thwarted in pursuit of their desires, so He kept chasing and She ran to the temple of Athena, goddess of wisdom and strategy..she prayed to Athena for comfort but Poseidon slept with her on the floor of the temple and looking down on them Athena felt disgust but she could not harm a god so she exerted her rage on Medusa and cursed her...

4 Likes

Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by tpia5: 3:28pm On Jul 19, 2012
Il Capitano: I've got a thing for Greek myths but i think it'd be better if we just discussed &analysed the various mythological books we've read e.gRick Riordan's books.

Good point.

Very wide topic.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by bknight: 7:44am On Jul 20, 2012
Reporting...

I like the three graces.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jul 21, 2012
Ok, then...Here's a thing that I have been wondering..If Percy and Annabeth were to get married and procreate, Do you think their child will be a god/goddess, seeing as they are both Demi-gods??
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by tpia5: 1:53pm On Jul 21, 2012
The kids might be a mixture.

But most likely they'd be quarter gods since the parents are half.

Since there's no such thing or term as quarter gods, that means they'd most likely just be humans with special abilities ie superheroes.

I dont know if its possible for some child to inherit the demi factor from each parent that would make him/her a full god.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jul 21, 2012
tpia@:
The kids might be a mixture.

But most likely they'd be quarter gods since the parents are half.

Since there's no such thing or term as quarter gods, that means they'd most likely just be humans with special abilities ie superheroes.

I dont know if its possible for some child to inherit the demi factor from each parent that would make him/her a full god.

sounds reasonable, where are the other fans??...what are your takes??
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by tpia5: 7:00pm On Jul 21, 2012
not sure there are too many fans on nl.

anyway, the troy series by david gremmel makes for interesting reading as well, although the books are rather bulky.

deals with the trojan war, andromeda, etc. Also, the first two were better put together than the last ones in the series, if i recall correctly.

cant remember the details of that particular myth but Paris, prince of troy, fought another king over helen or was it andromeda.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jul 21, 2012
tpia@:
not sure there are too many fans on nl.

anyway, the troy series by david gremmel makes for interesting reading as well, although the books are rather bulky.

deals with the trojan war, andromeda, etc. Also, the first two were better put together than the last ones in the series, if i recall correctly.

cant remember the details of that particular myth but Paris, prince of troy, fought another king over helen or was it andromeda.
I remember the book, it was Paris and Helen..they caused the trojan wars
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by tpia5: 12:52am On Jul 22, 2012
dont know why i keep getting it mixed up with the andromeda myth.

andromeda was the one from clash of the titans who was going to be swallowed by the kraken and was saved by perseus.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 6:41am On Jul 22, 2012
tpia@:
domnt know why i keep getting it mixed up with the andromeda myth.

andromeda was the one from clash of the titans who was going to be swallowed by the kraken and was saved by perseus.
Yes, that's the chic..Her Mother asked for it She said Andromeda was far more beautiful than Aphrodite the goddess of Beauty, which was a direct insult on Olympus
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by tpia5: 3:18am On Jul 23, 2012
aegean stables [ the sixth labour of hercules]

Augeas, the king of Elis had been given a huge amount of cattle as a gift from his father, many herds in fact. His problem was, the stables where he kept them had never been cleaned. His neglect was so great that not only the stables, which were in a very bad state, but the land surrounding them had been unfertilized for many years, due to the unused manure which lay within the compound.
Heracles task was to clean them. This seemed to Augeas to be a long and arduous labor for Heracles to undertake. Thinking it would be totally impossible Augeas wagered Heracles a tenth of his cattle, if the huge task was finished in a single day. Without hesitation Heracles accepted Augeas' challenge, then set about working out a plan in which to do the job in a swift but thorough way. The next day Heracles started his formidable labor, not only using his great strength, but using his brain to plan this challenge.

The first part of the mammoth task was to dismantle the wall which protected the rear of the stables, and with Heracles' great strength this was an effortless job. Next he made a diversion in the two rivers which flowed close by, the Alpheus and the Peneus. After digging a canal in the direction of the stables, Heracles released their banks, and when the two rivers merged they created a surge, which, by the time they flowed through the stables, turned into a torrent. The power and also the amount of water, washed all the filth away. After the rush of water passed through the stables it not only cleansed them but cascaded on to the fields below, giving the soil life after being deprived of manure for many years.

With the task complete, Heracles sought his prize, which Augeas had promised; one tenth of all his herds. The king was infuriated by his defeat, thinking the great hero would never clean such a mountain of filth in such a short time, and refused to pay the wager. This time it was Heracles who was infuriated. However, Phyleus the son of king Augeas, thinking of the consequences of Heracles anger, affirmed the agreement and brought about an amicable settlement, which Heracles accepted.

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/a/augean_stables.html

1 Like

Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by IlCapitano(m): 8:20pm On Oct 04, 2013
Where did everyone go?
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Danpersie31(m): 1:44am On Oct 05, 2013
Il Capitano: Where did everyone go?
i dnt knw bt am xo enjoyin d myths.pls guys come bk o
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by tpia5: 10:48pm On Oct 07, 2013
it was a nice thread.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by IlCapitano(m): 7:13pm On Oct 13, 2013
^^ Yeah. Twas really nice. Have you been able to get your hands on Rick Riordan's new book The House Of Hades?
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Graviton(m): 1:35pm On Nov 11, 2013
^^
I don't think it is out yet

i love myths, I'll be here later to post some greek myths...Lets keep the thread alive, c'mon!
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Danpersie31(m): 11:45pm On Nov 11, 2013
u re r9t graviton.i love greek mythology too.pls come and update pls
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Graviton(m): 11:20pm On Nov 12, 2013
Danpersie31: u re r9t graviton.i love greek mythology too.pls come and update pls
will do, Tomorrow you will find one here
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Danpersie31(m): 8:20am On Nov 13, 2013
okay graviton,i am counting on u den.i ve one story i made up bt its nt actually a greek mythology bt has dat kind of pattern.it is tittled:the great fall
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Graviton(m): 6:16pm On Nov 13, 2013
Theseus and the Minotaur

a long time ago, there lived a king named Minos. King Minos lived on a lovely island called Crete. King Minos had a powerful navy, a beautiful daughter, and a really big palace. Still, now and then, King Minos grew bored. Whenever King Minos was bored, he took his navy and attacked Athens, a town on the other side of the sea.

In desperation, the king of Athens offered King Minos a deal. If Minos would leave Athens alone, Athens would send seven Athenian boys and seven Athenian girls to Crete every nine years to be eaten by the Minotaur.

The Minotaur was a horrible monster that lived in the center of a huge maze on the island of Crete. King Minos loved that old monster. He did like to give his monster a treat now and then. He knew his people would prefer he fed his monster Athenian children rather than ... well, after thinking it over, King Minos took the deal.

Nine years passed swiftly. It was just about time for Athens to send seven boys and seven girls to Crete to be eaten by the Minotaur. Everyone in Athens was crying. 

Prince Theseus of Athens knew the importance of keeping your word. He knew that a deal was a deal. But, he was also quite sure that it was wrong to send small children to be eaten by a monster just to avoid a battle with King Minos. Prince Theseus told his father (the king) that he was going to Crete as the seventh son of Athens. He was going to kill the Minotaur and end the terror.

"The Minotaur is a terrible monster! What makes you think you can kill it?" cried his father.

"I'll find a way," Theseus replied gently. "The gods will help me."

His father begged him not to go. But the prince took his place as the seventh Athenian boy. Along with six other Athenian boys and seven Athenian girls, Prince Theseus sailed towards Crete.

When the prince and the children arrived on the island of Crete, King Minos and his daughter, the Princess Ariadne, came out to greet them. The king told the children that they would not be eaten until the next day and to enjoy themselves in the palace in the meantime. The Princess Ariadne did not say anything. But her eyes narrowed thoughtfully. Late that night, she wrote Prince Theseus a note and slipped it under his bedroom door.

Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by tpia5: 8:12pm On Nov 13, 2013
I havent followed the series after the first batch ended.

Camp half blood.

Very interesting but so much ATR in there, lord have mercy. As if na babalawo write am.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by tpia5: 8:15pm On Nov 13, 2013
Graviton

As narnia pointed out, having a beast's head meant the creature batted for the other side ( ie were supporting the bad guys), while having a human head and non human body meant the person was one of the good guys.

I think as a general rule.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Graviton(m): 12:51pm On Nov 14, 2013
tpia@:
Graviton

As narnia pointed out, having a beast's head meant the creature batted for the other side ( ie were supporting the bad guys), while having a human head and non human body meant the person was one of the good guys.

I think as a general rule.
yeah, that's why centaurs and satyrs are not considered that bad.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by IlCapitano(m): 2:12pm On Nov 14, 2013
Graviton: ^^
I don't think it is out yet

i love myths, I'll be here later to post some greek myths...Lets keep the thread alive, c'mon!
It's been out for over a month now.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Graviton(m): 5:54pm On Nov 14, 2013
Il Capitano: It's been out for over a month now.

The book has been out for close to a month?
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by tpia5: 7:05pm On Nov 15, 2013
it might depend on the country, if you're in nigeria for example, dont know if the releases would be the same date as the overseas ones.

jumia seems to have it, although i dont see the latest 39 clues on there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Good Guy Turned Bad / 8 Requirements For A Successful Talent Discovery / STORY: Mrs. Chika, My Favorite 'teacher'[part 1,2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.