Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

Apply For Medcine Or Masters? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Apply For Medcine Or Masters? (20510 Views)

What You Must Know Before You Apply For HND Programme / Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship / Imsu Pume Cutoff For Medcine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Ehimax(m): 4:10am On Jul 17, 2012
Good morning nairalanders,
Am currently an undergraduate in a Nigeria state University studying a Biological Science course Microbiology to be precise, am to graduate by this year ending and am sure of graduating with a good result, but knowing i will graduate soon has been scary because many things have been going through my mind in respect to which career i should take up. Nairaland please i need your advice on this issue. Should i apply to any Nigeria University as a graduate of a biological based science course to study Medcine or go for a Master degree. If you advise on applying for Medcine with my first degree in Microbiology please include how i can go about it and recommend schools i can apply to both here in Nigeria or any affordable school outside Nigeria. Your advice will be most helpful thanks.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by toboy: 8:03am On Jul 17, 2012
eyaa! People who have info or who have in any case experienced this should give him some advice! It can be quite confusing on which track to follow at times!
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by MrSinister(m): 8:31am On Jul 17, 2012
I suggest you do your masters and get a PhD.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by MrSinister(m): 8:37am On Jul 17, 2012
I suggest you do your masters and get a PhD. Obtaining mbbs will take you another four/five years, of which you'll have to go through direct entry and start from 200L. Considering the cost of both paths, the latter will be preferable. Human capacity development is a lucrative career choice for biological scientists in general and with new universities springing up here and there, manpower will be needed.
You can also consider a career in epidemiology otherwise know as public health administration, it offers much.
I wish you luck in your endeavours.

3 Likes

Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by MrSinister(m): 8:48am On Jul 17, 2012
http://careers.stateuniversity.com/pages/409/Micr… also visit this link for information. It could help wink
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Ehimax(m): 7:33pm On Jul 17, 2012
Thank you very much for your reply and the post, i went through it and it was really encouraging i would focus on getting a school that i can get a good Master degree from. If you can also suggest affordable schools outside the country so i can narrow my search i would also appreciate that. Thanks once again.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by MrSinister(m): 6:58pm On Jul 18, 2012
I don't really know much about foreign universities but I have been told that north American universities are very good. Studying abroad for a research based course is capital intensive
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Ehimax(m): 8:44pm On Jul 18, 2012
Thanks ones again for your reply, i will just have to do more search on the internent. To be a man is really not a days job.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jul 18, 2012
hey you can try to apply for biotechnology in Germany for masters http://www.daad.de/deutschland/studienangebote/international-programmes/07535.en.html is mostly free tution and scholarships are also available. if you have any difficulties applying you can mail me ilofy@yahoo.com
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by toboy: 10:45pm On Jul 18, 2012
since you already have a degree, taking up a two year course in Nursing (in Northern America) is not bad at all since your a fan of medical line . And it pays well too all over the world. Just a suggestion dear!
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Nobody: 7:35am On Jul 21, 2012
Nursing doesn't exactly pay well in Nigeria, compared to other medical professions. When you say masters abroad that are affordable, be specific about the price range, plus if you really have a good result then also look for scholarship options especially those for high performers. Free tuition universities in Germany are a thing of the past.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by toboy: 1:26pm On Jul 21, 2012
[quote author=Bludeville]Nursing doesn't exactly pay well in Nigeria, compared to other medical professions. When you say masters abroad that are affordable, be specific about the price range, plus if you really have a good result then also look for scholarship options especially those for high performers. Free tuition universities in Germany are a thing of the past.[/quote i was not refering to Nigeria,if you did read my post well.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Nobody: 9:29am On Jul 22, 2012
Honey you said , and I quote "all over the world". Is Nigeria outside the world?

1 Like

Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Emmy3(m): 4:09am On Jul 24, 2012
ARE YOU UNTO 26?
If you are 26 or below, then go for medcine.
You wont reret it!
ARE YOU GRADUATING WITH A FIRST CLASS?
To hell with medcine if your cgpa is up to 4.5/5.00
ARE YOU BEING SPONSORED BY PARENTS?
If YES, then move for medcine now!
My candid advice 4 you is to go 4 med in any of the followin unis only
* Unilag (maulag)
* UI
* UniIllorin
* ABU Zaira
* OAU
* Delsu

I tell u d truth, u will nt be happy as much as u will b if u go 4 MBBS . . . . . . . . .
4get abt masters. . . . . . .

4 Likes

Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Ehimax(m): 1:32pm On Jul 26, 2012
Thank you all for your wonderful and brotherly advice i really appriciate it. @ Em-my i'll be 24 by september by God's through with NYSC b4 26, am not sure i can make a 1st class but can make a 2.1 and yes my dad takes care of my fees. Please i would love to knw why you recommend the listed schools above and can you brife me on the requirements in order to secure admission into any of the schools you listed? Thanks
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Emmy3(m): 2:07pm On Jul 26, 2012
The Schools are reputed and their teaching hospital is a force to reckon with.
Aside that, every one needs a job; those schools can employ you as a staff easily after your first degree eXcept unilag
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Ehimax(m): 4:06pm On Jul 26, 2012
You mean these schools can employ a 1st degree holder as a staff while he or she studies medcine if this is tru then its more than wonderful, do u have any idea on d application procedures, like wat and wat will give me an added advantage in gaining admission into any of these schools. Am an Edo state indigen.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Emmy3(m): 3:53pm On Jul 28, 2012
Ya,
they have many assistant lectures xpecially ABUz.

You can apply thru JAMB 2013 DE into any two bt u can buy more DE forms as d system wont detect ur double entry.

For the staff issue,
its nt easy bt play ur game rit & tight 2 get it (u know wat i mean nah). . ,
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Shakidor: 5:21pm On Jul 28, 2012
@Ehimax, he said u will nt b apy as much u will be, can u ask 4 d reason and did u kno aw many years more? I mean aw many years MBBS wil take u.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Emmy3(m): 1:07am On Jul 29, 2012
Shakidor: @Ehimax, he said u will nt b apy as much u will be, can u ask 4 d reason and did u kno aw many years more? I mean aw many years MBBS wil take u.
5-6 yrs more dependin on the uni.
Gud tins don't come so easily nt MBBS wil be d first.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by toboy: 1:18am On Jul 31, 2012
Bludeville: Honey you said , and I quote "all over the world". Is Nigeria outside the world?
lol ,i realy love it when i'm called honey.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Ehimax(m): 5:32am On Jul 31, 2012
@shakidor considring the number of year it will take makes it discouraging, but if the program will take the exact number of years i dont mind, that is why i would love to study the course in a university not under ASUU, becos ASUU don show me pepper o. I have not come across a medical doctor searching for job but have seen some M.sc holders still sitting at home. I dont mind if i get the MBBS at 31/32, it wont b easy but i think its worth it. Thank you all for your views and advice.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Shakidor: 5:44am On Jul 31, 2012
U are write o. It seems u are determined. I lik dat. I av that plan too, l want to study medicine bt given physiotheraphy. D latter is 5 years already, so l dont know whelther to do it or nt coz of time but l did lik medicine too. Sud l leave it or go for med as post graduate! Any advice!
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by eruditescholar1(m): 11:35am On Jul 31, 2012
My advice is for u to shun the M.SC and go for MBBS. There is nothing like it. By the time u get to the college of medicine, u will begin to feel the difference. By the time u get to NYSC camp,the difference will b clear. As a doctor,u dnt have to look for job like most M.Sc and PhD holders. Besides ur MBBS is more respected in embasey than PhD let alone MSC. Thats Y its easier for doctors to travel abroad. My brother,the question is: can u get admitted into medical college? If yes then go for it and forget the paper certificate and go for what u can practice and b a profesional for life. Good luck!

5 Likes

Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Ehimax(m): 1:37pm On Jul 31, 2012
erudite scholar: My brother, i have an ND in science lab tech,HND in chem/biochem. Presently,am studying medicine and surgery and will b tru by 31. My advice is for u to shun the M.SC and go for MBBS. There is nothing like it. By the time u get to the college of medicine, u will begin to feel the difference. By the time u get to NYSC camp,the difference will b clear. As a doctor,u dnt have to look for job like most M.Sc and PhD holders. Besides ur MBBS is more respected in embasey than PhD let alone MSC. Thats Y its easier for doctors to travel abroad. My brother,the question is: can u get admitted into medical college? If yes then go for it and forget the paper certificate and go for what u can practice and b a profesional for life. Good luck!
erudite scholar: My brother, i have an ND in science lab tech,HND in chem/biochem. Presently,am studying medicine and surgery and will b tru by 31. My advice is for u to shun the M.SC and go for MBBS. There is nothing like it. By the time u get to the college of medicine, u will begin to feel the difference. By the time u get to NYSC camp,the difference will b clear. As a doctor,u dnt have to look for job like most M.Sc and PhD holders. Besides ur MBBS is more respected in embasey than PhD let alone MSC. Thats Y its easier for doctors to travel abroad. My brother,the question is: can u get admitted into medical college? If yes then go for it and forget the paper certificate and go for what u can practice and b a profesional for life. Good luck!
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Ehimax(m): 1:40pm On Jul 31, 2012
@erudite plz which univesity are u currently studing medcine and wat are the admission requirements both for the university you are in and other univesities you knw of, plz reply Tanks in advance.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Ehimax(m): 1:44pm On Jul 31, 2012
Shakidor: U are write o. It seems u are determined. I lik dat. I av that plan too, l want to study medicine bt given physiotheraphy. D latter is 5 years already, so l dont know whelther to do it or nt coz of time but l did lik medicine too. Sud l leave it or go for med as post graduate! Any advice!
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Ehimax(m): 2:19pm On Jul 31, 2012
D course is very related to medcine which skul were given the admission into? I will advice u take it and if u dont want d cos write another jamb even while in skul, my brother e nor easy to get admission o nor b by who knw book. Den if jamb dose nt work out do the program after the program its easier to gain admission wit ur B.sc cos at this level the competition is lesser (dats my believe anyway). May God help us all in this competitive world

1 Like

Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Shakidor: 2:31pm On Jul 31, 2012
Okay, if l try anoda jamb l will restart at year one again? I heard l cant cross wt my course into medicine bcoz itz also in d college of medicine. Bt wat l want to ask is d job opportunity of physiotherapy, is it as lucrative as medicine too? Pls, l want veteran to ansa me on dis prob o.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by eruditescholar1(m): 4:48pm On Aug 01, 2012
Ehimax: @erudite plz which univesity are u currently studing medcine and wat are the admission requirements both for the university you are in and other univesities you knw of, plz reply Tanks in advance.
They hid ma post.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Victor Koreyo, Lecturer Renounces Nigerian Citizenship; Writes Buhari / OAU-Ife University Closed Down Indefinitely / Private School Proprietors Throng NAPPS Over FG Planned Remuneration, Commend VP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.