Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,660 members, 7,801,914 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

Apply For Medcine Or Masters? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Apply For Medcine Or Masters? (20488 Views)

What You Must Know Before You Apply For HND Programme / Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship / Imsu Pume Cutoff For Medcine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by MrSinister(m): 9:16am On Sep 15, 2012
@Ehimax,

You seem not to know that automatic employment after graduation does not guarantee job satisfaction or fulfilment of purpose. If i may ask, what are you passionate about? what is it that drives you? What is your ambition?
I remember telling you to ignore medicine, but it seems that a lot of people have told you otherwise. Take it from me, going back to school to read medicine IS NOT THE SOLUTION to the career choice problem that you are facing and it won't make you better off.
I still suggest you do your post graduate. You can go into public health or even stick to microbiology, most especially the environmental aspect of it. There is high demand for trained professionals in these fields.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Ehimax(m): 1:52pm On Sep 15, 2012
Mr.Sinister:
@Ehimax,

You seem not to know that automatic employment after graduation does not guarantee job satisfaction or fulfilment of purpose. If i may ask, what are you passionate about? what is it that drives you? What is your ambition?
I remember telling you to ignore medicine, but it seems that a lot of people have told you otherwise. Take it from me, going back to school to read medicine IS NOT THE SOLUTION to the career choice problem that you are facing and it won't make you better off.
I still suggest you do your post graduate. You can go into public health or even stick to microbiology, most especially the environmental aspect of it. There is high demand for trained professionals in this fields.
Thanks i alot for this brliant advice, This my final semester has really opened my eyes in the world of microbiology, i've been introduced to many intresting courses. Am going to take my time to thing about it, so i dont make a costly mistake in choosing a career. Thank you once again.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Lagusta(m): 2:00pm On Sep 15, 2012
@op.....

I m a final year med student of the university of ilorin. So, I believe I can giv u some tit-bits too.

If u want to do ur M.Sc I will advise u do it in either medical microbiology and parasitology, or public health. They r both professional courses and are of high demand. We also hav seasoned lecturers here. Some of my B.Sc mates hav completed their masters there, and with a few connections, they were out of the country, I kno of one in south africa now.

But, if u want to do MBBS, then I will advise NOT TO DO IT IN UNILORIN, cos I won't want u to undergo extra stress for another five years. They don't care here, I had 2 colleagues who graduated with 2.1 in biochem and micro, they repeated and were withdrawn in 400L, one because of pathology and the other cos of pharmacology.... I don't think u need to go thru that psychological trauma again. There r some other schools like ABU, UNILAG, IFE, etc...

Well, the choice is urs..... CHEERS!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by yinkhar(f): 3:45pm On Sep 15, 2012
have been following dis thread 4 quite a long tym cos am interested in it.i tink dis advices are 4 me,i just got admission to study mcb bt i wish to study mbbs.tanx to all 4 d advice and also tanx to Ehimax
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Emmy3(m): 4:49pm On Oct 15, 2012
I repeat my word!!!
You will be happier if you go for MBBS.
Think of what the future have for you if:
* you are an MBBS or MBBCh or BDS holder
* you are a MSc holder. . .
I know ur family is for MBBS. .
And I know ur friends don't want it because they are haters $ jealous. . .
Do ur MBBS in UniLag or Delsu or Unizik or UI and graduate on time. . .
You would have accepted my advice if you know who is talking to you. . .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Emmy3(m): 4:52pm On Oct 15, 2012
UNIJOS and OAU are also inclusive bt dont 4get d BH factor 4 uniJOS.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by ImpactWorld(m): 8:35pm On Oct 19, 2012
I have bn a medical doctor for over 4yrs.
I graduated with MBBS from the University Of Lagos in 2008. After reading thru d comments here, I feel compelled to state my opinion & counsel.
For short of time, am unable to type now cos of d details I need to give.
I promise to do so in d next 24 or 48hrs& I hope my details will settle most questions.
Thanks all.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Ehimax(m): 9:48pm On Oct 19, 2012
ImpactWorld: I have bn a medical doctor for over 4yrs.
I graduated with MBBS from the University Of Lagos in 2008. After reading thru d comments here, I feel compelled to state my opinion & counsel.
For short of time, am unable to type now cos of d details I need to give.
I promise to do so in d next 24 or 48hrs& I hope my details will settle most questions.
Thanks all.
@impactword would really love to hear your take on this topic. *Waiting anxiously* :-)

1 Like

Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Oct 19, 2012
Am in my finals in bsc anatomy n shld n am graduating top of ma class buh av gained admission for mbbs cos it gives me joy. Advice-' when u grow old and on ur death bed, will u wish u had d opportunity to do something u didnt do?' think bout it n choose wisely

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by MrSinister(m): 10:27pm On Oct 19, 2012
Em-my:
I repeat my word!!!
You will be happier if you go for MBBS.
Think of what the future have for you if:
* you are an MBBS or MBBCh or BDS holder
* you are a MSc holder. . .
I know ur family is for MBBS. .
And I know ur friends don't want it because they are haters $ jealous. . .
Do ur MBBS in UniLag or Delsu or Unizik or UI and graduate on time. . .
You would have accepted my advice if you know who is talking to you. . .

Don't mislead this guy! Having a fulfilling career is all that matters. Mbbs might not give him that.

@Ehimax
STICK TO MCB!
There are a lot of opportunities Microbiology can offer you. The Nigerian society is seriously warped, making microbiology look inferior & irrelevant in the 21st century. You should know better than anyone what our field of study has contributed to humanity. The application of microbiology is vast and you have the chance of contributing your own quota to humanity in a very fulfilling way if you stick to microbiology. Even in this country, you can make it.

1 Like

Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by snave007(m): 5:18am On Oct 20, 2012
My dream is to read medicine and surgery, the passion is all encompassing, but got admitted to read botany and biotechnology in UNIBEN instead of med.I'm 19, hv written U.M.E a number of times.I'm thinking time is running out........ADVICE please
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by MrSinister(m): 8:00am On Oct 20, 2012
snave007: My dream is to read medicine and surgery, the passion is all encompassing, but got admitted to read botany and biotechnology in UNIBEN instead of med.I'm 19, hv written U.M.E a number of times.I'm thinking time is running out........ADVICE please

I advise you to go for biotechnology. Its the hottest course anyone in the life sciences can get into. I am a microbiologist and biotechnology is my area of interest. If i were you, i would re-evaluate my priorities and reconstruct my vision for my life in a way that would accommodate biotechnology. Afterall, there is medical biotechnology which deals with production of antibiotics, hormones etc with the use of microbes or plants. Medicine is not meant for everyone and its certainly not the all in all, if you get my drift.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by toboy: 9:53pm On Oct 20, 2012
Mr.Sinister:

I advise you to go for biotechnology. Its the hottest course anyone in the life sciences can get into. I am a microbiologist and biotechnology is my area of interest. If i were you, i would re-evaluate my priorities and reconstruct my vision for my life in a way that would accommodate biotechnology. Afterall, there is medical biotechnology which deals with production of antibiotics, hormones etc with the use of microbes or plants. Medicine is not meant for everyone and its certainly not the all in all, if you get my drift.
then what would people who sudied pharmacy now produce?
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Ehimax(m): 10:09pm On Oct 20, 2012
toboy: then what would people who sudied pharmacy now produce?

pharmacist are also into drug production. but the real study of of antibiotics and research on the emergence of new antibiotics against bacteria, fungi and other microscopic organism *ANTIMICROBIAL CHEMOTHERAPY* requires the full involvement of a trained microbiologist. Its just like the human body every part has its relevance
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by ImpactWorld(m): 8:41pm On Oct 21, 2012
Let me apologize for d length of this post.Like I said, I graduated with MBBS from Unilag in 2008.
I agree doctors dnt remain without 'any job' to do but again, are doctors among d rich, richer or richest in Nigeria? I know so many non doctors who got jobs before graduation. It happens every yr in Unilag. Many companies come to recruit First Class final yr stdnts.
My point? It's not always about MBBS or any profession, rather, it's about ur passion & hw good u are in what u do. Profs Soyinka&Achebe,Asa,DBanj,Fela,Basket mouth, Kanu Nwankwo,etc are examples.
As a medical student, I housed an Econs stdnt who was very hard working studying for so many degrees @ d same time. As I speak, he has over 12 highly recognized certificates including ACCA, B.sc Econs(Unilag), B.cs Acct from Oxford Brookes University, UK(honorary after passing ACCA), ICAN, CFA,HND maths/statistics, IT cert, etc I dnt evn knw many of them. Even while we were still in sch, he became so large already.
Am I saying u shdn't do MBBS? Never! Shd u do MBBS? If ur passion is there. Hey, I mean, d passion for saving lives, not for job security. But again, MBBS is super stressful. And yes, it is a 'dirty' profession. Blood cd splash on u & ur eyes, mayb ur mouth. U will treat HIV patients & cd get infected. Patients cd vomit on ur clothes. Wait until u hav some terribly-smelling diabetic foot patients where everyone runs from d entire hosp ward but u will stay right with d patient & treat him.
One more thing, not all who get admitted for MBBS graduate. As I type , there are students in my sch(Unilag), who hav spent over 10-15 yrs & are yet to graduate. Many are withdrawn after wasting many yrs. What's my point? If u can't pass d exams,u cant survive studying MBBS. So,finally: Do it if ur passion is in it but prepare urself for all I hav said above &much more. Most importantly, study hard & pass ur exams
Pls dnt evn think of 'expo'. Pls dnt go there. I dnt knw which sch u may go2 but dnt evn imagine that. So study hard, that's d only shortcut.
@bibigirl07, Sometimes, I wish I did Econs or Comp Sci. Then I could hav made 1st Class & gone on scholarship to good schools abroad for Masters & MBA & become a sought-after guru in blue chip firms. I knw many young graduates making tons of money in multinationals.
@ all, Pls do criticize my comments because I want to know how I sound. By d way,I hav jst said it as it is.

4 Likes

Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Emmy3(m): 4:39am On Oct 24, 2012
[quote author=ImpactWorld]Let me apologize for d length of this post.Like I said, I graduated with MBBS from Unilag in 2008.
I agree doctors dnt remain without 'any job' to do but again, are doctors among d rich, richer or richest in Nigeria? I know so many non doctors who got jobs before graduation. It happens every yr in Unilag. Many companies come to recruit First Class final yr stdnts.
My point? It's not always about MBBS or any profession, rather, it's about ur passion & hw good u are in what u d
well said
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Emmy3(m): 4:55am On Oct 24, 2012
@mr.sinister
I'm nt misleading d young man.
The things you dont understand are:
*this young man have flea for medicine
*your imagination is from a perfect/corrupt free Nigeria
*the guy in reference (did not) OR (is likely not to) graduate with a first class degree
*he is being sponsored by the parents
*he is 26
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by kcy(m): 11:26am On Aug 17, 2013
pls,frm experience i nee some should advice me which path to folow after b.sc in microbiology thanks
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by nellyefizzy: 9:38pm On Aug 17, 2013
Please,nairalander...am putting in for pharmacy what do you guys think of pharmacy..does it pays to study pharmacy in Nigeria compare to its counter part medical laboratory science.please i need advice on pharmacy......HELP ME OUT
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by MrSinister(m): 4:45pm On Sep 21, 2013
kcy: pls,frm experience i nee some should advice me which path to folow after b.sc in microbiology thanks

What kind of career are you planning to have?
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by kcy(m): 6:33pm On Sep 21, 2013
Mr.Sinister:

What kind of career are you planning to have?
i would like 2 have my career in medical aspect or if posible as a lectural in medical microbiology,pls kindly advice me wic way 2 follow relating to curent nigeria situation.thanks
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by MrSinister(m): 10:41am On Sep 22, 2013
kcy: i would like 2 have my career in medical aspect or if posible as a lectural in medical microbiology,pls kindly advice me wic way 2 follow relating to curent nigeria situation.thanks

presently, mcb graduates cannot be engaged in healthcare service delivery. The traditional function of a microbiologist in the clinical setting is to effectively carry out diagnosis of infectious diseases. Today, in nigeria, anything concerning diagnosis of diseases is solely the function of a medical laboratory scientist. As for lecturing, it depends on grade you graduated with (and who you know. you must be loyal to a senior lecturer and have an outstanding GPA), the most successful microbiologists in Nigeria are actually the lecturers, followed by the research officers in our research institutes. Medical research institutes in Nigeria are few and competition to get job placement is a cut throat affair.

I would have advised you to go for H.S.E training and concentrate on being a safety officer, but getting a job as a safety professional no be moi moi especially if you have no working experience.

The best thing for you is to volunteer. Look for a good healthcare firm around you even if its a diagnostic centre (not anyhow roadside one o!), apply and offer to work as an intern for a certain period (free of charge that's if they'll accept you). You can start from here to build your career. Do your MSc and go for professional training eg H.S.E and be on the lookout for viable job placements.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by MrSinister(m): 10:42am On Sep 22, 2013
kcy: i would like 2 have my career in medical aspect or if posible as a lectural in medical microbiology,pls kindly advice me wic way 2 follow relating to curent nigeria situation.thanks
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by kcy(m): 11:03pm On Nov 24, 2013
thanks 4 yr contribution.kindly explaing what u mean by H.S.E
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by MrSinister(m): 4:52am On Nov 26, 2013
kcy: thanks 4 yr contribution.kindly explaing what u mean by H.S.E

H.S.E means Health Safety & Environment
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by SayyediAliyu: 12:23pm On Oct 30, 2014
Hello sirs! Your help is needed here.
I'm to study med&surgery by my plans, but unfortunately I was giving the curse; biological science in ABU. Now don't know what to do, coz I'm confused. I don't even know the carriers of it, and possible jobs after I have graduated.
Should I decline and reapply for MBBS or
Accept it. Pls your advice are needed please.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by SayyediAliyu: 12:26pm On Oct 30, 2014
I'm to study med&surgery by my plans, but unfortunately I was giving the curse; biological science in ABU. Now don't know what to do, coz I'm confused. I don't even know the carriers of it, and possible jobs after I have graduated.
kcy:
thanks 4 yr contribution.kindly explaing what u mean by H.S.E
MrSinister:

presently, mcb graduates cannot be engaged in healthcare service delivery. The traditional function of a microbiologist in the clinical setting is to effectively carry out diagnosis of infectious diseases. Today, in nigeria, anything concerning diagnosis of diseases is solely the function of a medical laboratory scientist. As for lecturing, it depends on grade you graduated with (and who you know. you must be loyal to a senior lecturer and have an outstanding GPA), the most successful microbiologists in Nigeria are actually the lecturers, followed by the research officers in our research institutes. Medical research institutes in Nigeria are few and competition to get job placement is a cut throat affair.
I would have advised you to go for H.S.E training and concentrate on being a safety officer, but getting a job as a safety professional no be moi moi especially if you have no working experience.
The best thing for you is to volunteer. Look for a good healthcare firm around you even if its a diagnostic centre (not anyhow roadside one o!), apply and offer to work as an intern for a certain period (free of charge that's if they'll accept you). You can start from here to build your career. Do your MSc and go for professional training eg H.S.E and be on the lookout for viable job placements.
SayyediAliyu:
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by SayyediAliyu: 12:28pm On Oct 30, 2014
SayyediAliyu:
I really need your advices
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by SayyediAliyu: 12:29pm On Oct 30, 2014
SayyediAliyu:
I really need your advices
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by SayyediAliyu: 12:32pm On Oct 30, 2014
I have to revive this thread any how.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by SayyediAliyu: 12:36pm On Oct 30, 2014
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by SayyediAliyu: 12:36pm On Oct 30, 2014
Accept it. Pls your advice are needed please

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ASUU: 'Strike Still Continues, Till We Meet Our Members' / MAULAG: Jonathan Reverts To UNILAG / Nigeria: ASUU Strike Ends Next Week - Prof. Ruqqayatu Rufai (education Minister)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.