Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,871 members, 7,802,805 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

Apply For Medcine Or Masters? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Apply For Medcine Or Masters? (20494 Views)

What You Must Know Before You Apply For HND Programme / Tehn Is Calling All School Leavers To Apply For TNRI Scholarship / Imsu Pume Cutoff For Medcine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by SayyediAliyu: 12:37pm On Oct 30, 2014
Hello sirs! Your help is needed here.
I'm to study med&surgery by my plans, but unfortunately I was giving the curse; biological science in ABU. Now don't know what to do, coz I'm confused. I don't even know the carriers of it, and possible jobs after I have graduated.
Should I decline and reapply for MBBS or
Accept it. Pls your advice are needed please.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by MrSinister(m): 10:10pm On Nov 01, 2014
SayyediAliyu:
Hello sirs! Your help is needed here.
I'm to study med&surgery by my plans, but unfortunately I was giving the curse; biological science in ABU. Now don't know what to do, coz I'm confused. I don't even know the carriers of it, and possible jobs after I have graduated.
Should I decline and reapply for MBBS or
Accept it. Pls your advice are needed please.

Reapply for medicine. But factor in your age. If you are above 22 pls go for biological science and focus on graduating with a good grade.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by SayyediAliyu: 12:13am On Nov 02, 2014
Thanks for your advice
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Capableben(m): 1:06am On Nov 02, 2014
Lagusta:
@op.....

I m a final year med student of the university of ilorin. So, I believe I can giv u some tit-bits too.

If u want to do ur M.Sc I will advise u do it in either medical microbiology and parasitology, or public health. They r both professional courses and are of high demand. We also hav seasoned lecturers here. Some of my B.Sc mates hav completed their masters there, and with a few connections, they were out of the country, I kno of one in south africa now.

But, if u want to do MBBS, then I will advise NOT TO DO IT IN UNILORIN, cos I won't want u to undergo extra stress for another five years. They don't care here, I had 2 colleagues who graduated with 2.1 in biochem and micro, they repeated and were withdrawn in 400L, one because of pathology and the other cos of pharmacology.... I don't think u need to go thru that psychological trauma again. There r some other schools like ABU, UNILAG, IFE, etc...

Well, the choice is urs..... CHEERS!!!!!

why are u guys not mentioning Unn? I wanna apply there..
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by codexgigax: 12:11am On Mar 30, 2015
ImpactWorld:
Let me apologize for d length of this post.Like I said, I graduated with MBBS from Unilag in 2008.
I agree doctors dnt remain without 'any job' to do but again, are doctors among d rich, richer or richest in Nigeria? I know so many non doctors who got jobs before graduation. It happens every yr in Unilag. Many companies come to recruit First Class final yr stdnts.
My point? It's not always about MBBS or any profession, rather, it's about ur passion & hw good u are in what u do. Profs Soyinka&Achebe,Asa,DBanj,Fela,Basket mouth, Kanu Nwankwo,etc are examples.
As a medical student, I housed an Econs stdnt who was very hard working studying for so many degrees @ d same time. As I speak, he has over 12 highly recognized certificates including ACCA, B.sc Econs(Unilag), B.cs Acct from Oxford Brookes University, UK(honorary after passing ACCA), ICAN, CFA,HND maths/statistics, IT cert, etc I dnt evn knw many of them. Even while we were still in sch, he became so large already.
Am I saying u shdn't do MBBS? Never! Shd u do MBBS? If ur passion is there. Hey, I mean, d passion for saving lives, not for job security. But again, MBBS is super stressful. And yes, it is a 'dirty' profession. Blood cd splash on u & ur eyes, mayb ur mouth. U will treat HIV patients & cd get infected. Patients cd vomit on ur clothes. Wait until u hav some terribly-smelling diabetic foot patients where everyone runs from d entire hosp ward but u will stay right with d patient & treat him.
One more thing, not all who get admitted for MBBS graduate. As I type , there are students in my sch(Unilag), who hav spent over 10-15 yrs & are yet to graduate. Many are withdrawn after wasting many yrs. What's my point? If u can't pass d exams,u cant survive studying MBBS. So,finally: Do it if ur passion is in it but prepare urself for all I hav said above &much more. Most importantly, study hard & pass ur exams
Pls dnt evn think of 'expo'. Pls dnt go there. I dnt knw which sch u may go2 but dnt evn imagine that. So study hard, that's d only shortcut.
@bibigirl07, Sometimes, I wish I did Econs or Comp Sci. Then I could hav made 1st Class & gone on scholarship to good schools abroad for Masters & MBA & become a sought-after guru in blue chip firms. I knw many young graduates making tons of money in multinationals.
@ all, Pls do criticize my comments because I want to know how I sound. By d way,I hav jst said it as it is.

You have said your mind... buh d tone of your voice is more discouraging than encouraging. And you don't seem to be enjoying your job. Were you forced or cajoled to study medicine? #Justasking
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by Dunsin89(m): 9:40am On Mar 30, 2015
snave007:
My dream is to read medicine and surgery, the passion is all encompassing, but got admitted to read botany and biotechnology in UNIBEN instead of med.I'm 19, hv written U.M.E a number of times.I'm thinking time is running out........ADVICE please
. If you still want Medicine, it is better you re-fasten your belts and plan meritiously on how to get it. I guess the "many times" you meant aint up to 5times. Pls do not allow any thing to affect the dream you have been longing for. You are a Man! Go for it so that, you will not regret not getting or achieving your dreams later.
Re: Apply For Medcine Or Masters? by DoctorStephen(m): 1:59pm On Dec 19, 2020
codexgigax:

You have said your mind... buh d tone of your voice is more discouraging than encouraging. And you don't seem to be enjoying your job. Were you forced or cajoled to study medicine? #Justasking

Similar stories usually come from UNILAG medical students. They are stressed out that their initial flare for medicine soon gets replaced with reality.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Was Your Worst Subject In Secondary School? / Coronavirus: Enugu Govt Directs Closure Of Schools / Sexualization Of School Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.