Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:31 PM

Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? (7428 Views)

More Reasons Why Visa Applications Are Refused / 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak / US Embassy Receives 220,000 Visa Applications (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by philoe: 10:38am On Jul 17, 2012
Third of foreign student visas 'lack credibility', survey finds

A third of visas handed to overseas students should never have been issued with up to 70,000 foreign undergraduates applications "lacking credibility", a government survey has found.

A sixth of those applying as university undergraduates and two-thirds of those at private colleges were considered to have suspicious applications

An intention to remain in Britain, failure to speak any English and no desire to complete their degree were given as the top three reasons given to Home Office investigators.
Three out of five visas given to students from India and Nigeria were found to “lack credibility”, the study found.
The survey is part of a crackdown on student visas that have for many years been abused with paperwork being the sole criteria for applications rather than face-to-face interviews.

continue reading......
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/9401362/Third-of-foreign-student-visas-lack-credibility-survey-finds.html#

I don't know why nigerians are always singled out!
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by justwise(m): 10:57am On Jul 17, 2012
philoe: Third of foreign student visas 'lack credibility', survey finds

A third of visas handed to overseas students should never have been issued with up to 70,000 foreign undergraduates applications "lacking credibility", a government survey has found.

A sixth of those applying as university undergraduates and two-thirds of those at private colleges were considered to have suspicious applications

An intention to remain in Britain, failure to speak any English and no desire to complete their degree were given as the top three reasons given to Home Office investigators.
Three out of five visas given to students from India and Nigeria were found to “lack credibility”, the study found.
The survey is part of a crackdown on student visas that have for many years been abused with paperwork being the sole criteria for applications rather than face-to-face interviews.

continue reading......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/9401362/Third-of-foreign-student-visas-lack-credibility-survey-finds.html#

I don't know why nigerians are always singled out!

They did not single Nigerians out and there is a large element of truth in that survey, many Nigerians who abandoned their studies in the UK did not do it deliberately, they took a gamble of coming to the UK to study and work to pay fees and it turns out badly. While some got no interest in studying at all before living Nigeria.

Some came with the hope of receiving money from home but things changed and their sponsor could not keep up.

There is no surprised in the finding at all, its just a well known fact.
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by megxo(m): 3:43pm On Jul 17, 2012
Y ALWAYS NIGERIA
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by kokoye(m): 4:01pm On Jul 17, 2012
megxo: Y ALWAYS NIGERIA

What has the Nigerian government done to encourage the youth to want to stay at home: Electricity, small business loans, good education / grants, security, jobs?

Yea, you can answer that.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Jul 17, 2012
megxo: Y ALWAYS NIGERIA

Are you Mario Balotelli in disguise?
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by ebamma(m): 4:24pm On Jul 17, 2012
Y ALWAYS ME(NIGERIA)
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jul 17, 2012
No
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by AjanleKoko: 5:01pm On Jul 17, 2012
kokoye:

What has the Nigerian government done to encourage the youth to want to stay at home: Electricity, small business loans, good education / grants, security, jobs?

Yea, you can answer that.

So are they getting the small business loans and grants in the UK?

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by justwise(m): 5:12pm On Jul 17, 2012
AjanleKoko:

UK students do get loans/grants and some businesses do get loans from the banks strongly encouraged by their Govrt.
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by ochukoccna: 5:30pm On Jul 17, 2012
AjanleKoko:

The average Nigerian youth would give an arm and a leg to leave the shores of this country
Dunno about today, personally witnessed Nigerians running to queue outside the American Embassy before 5am in the morning some 12 years back
Face it, save for a few entrepreneurs and those who have goo paying jobs, most Nigerian youth dey hear am embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by greall1: 5:34pm On Jul 17, 2012
I'm also pray my children study in abroad than nigeria
1.foreign certificate respect than nigeria certificate
2.Amount of student paying now in nigeria almost equilevent paying in abroad.
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by SisiKill1: 6:13pm On Jul 17, 2012
How's India AND Nigeria. . .singling out Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by Guapo(m): 6:16pm On Jul 17, 2012
Its not true! Most go to the UK with legitimate reasons. ok lets say 70% go for study, while 30% go through that means to scatter for jand and disappear grin . Breaking down the 70% legit applications, you'l find out that like justwise said only about 20% of that class of students default base on circumstance while the 80% study and conplete the program.

let them introduce the face me i face u ish, naijirian students will still enter UK tongue

I told ma broda who is applying next month about the proposed introduction of interviews, and he said "ehen, no be english we wan talk?" cheesy abeg
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by kokoye(m): 6:22pm On Jul 17, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Yes they can...and some do actually.

But at least we both agree that abotu the other factors: electricity, good education, security, etc. Why would the youth not want to go around the world to find those?
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by BUSHMAN1: 6:49pm On Jul 17, 2012
ochukoccna:

The average Nigerian youth would give an arm and a leg to leave the shores of this country
Dunno about today, personally witnessed Nigerians running to queue outside the American Embassy before 5am in the morning some 12 years back
Face it, save for a few entrepreneurs and those who have goo paying jobs, most Nigerian youth dey hear am embarassed embarassed embarassed
if they have the finance to go to america, why not use money to start something in nigeria,do you think its easy in america?
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by steve13(m): 7:18pm On Jul 17, 2012
BUSH MAN: if they have the finance to go to america, why not use money to start something in nigeria,do you think its easy in america?

Bushman,u sound like a bushman really,when the guy pay 2 years in advance for house rent and pay 2 years for shop,the fund will vanish, people always say ...."Start something",start what if I may ask?

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by love4ual: 7:28pm On Jul 17, 2012
OCHUKOCCNA

i am sure that u realize why many people travel abroad and why most nollywood stars would do everything to marry a guy who has lived abroad b4 or is still based abroad......

it depends on the country...i will only speak of where i presently reside which is the united states........believe me our youths are perishing at back home...when i remember most of my friends who are back in nigeria i weep for them.........believe it or not america is a wonderland..........you will only need to experience it to understand.......the only thing that can delay ur success in the states is if u do not have the permission to work..........other than that you are good to go.........over %70 of nigerian doctors, pharmacist, bankers, lawyers, lectures, who vist america hadly would want to return back to nigeria except those above 50yrs.........

while i agree with you that you do not plug money on the street in america.....however ur willingness to work harder often pays off.......

i have friends in more than 8 countries of the world..........but in my conclusion i would advice youths who want to travel out to go these countries,.......belgium, canada, USA, australia and the bahamas island................

if you can obtain a dutch language training for 6 months and can be able understand, hear and write dutch, and you have a sister or brother who is legally resident in the united states......you can travel to belgium and study.......the school feels is cheap and immigration system is ok......

the best way to travel and have ur legal resident in any part of the world is if you study nursing in nigeria b4 leaving the country..............whether u are indian, african or asian....ur opportunity is simply boundless................

2 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by otokx(m): 8:05pm On Jul 17, 2012
Things are getting better
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by philoe: 8:08pm On Jul 17, 2012
my advice to any prospective student out there who wants to travel to the UK on a student visa is to be careful- make sure you prepare for the interview that will come. it's easy to say "no be English them wan yarn ". in reality, it is not uncommon for a person coming to the UK for the first to have difficulty understanding the English accent.
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by Patsey: 9:26pm On Jul 17, 2012
otokx: Things are getting better

WHERE ARE THINGS GETTING BETTER, NIGERIA? WHAT AN ILLUSORY COMMENT!
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by toboy: 6:35am On Jul 18, 2012
love4ual: OCHUKOCCNA

i am sure that u realize why many people travel abroad and why most nollywood stars would do everything to marry a guy who has lived abroad b4 or is still based abroad......

it depends on the country...i will only speak of where i presently reside which is the united states........believe me our youths are perishing at back home...when i remember most of my friends who are back in nigeria i weep for them.........believe it or not america is a wonderland..........you will only need to experience it to understand.......the only thing that can delay ur success in the states is if u do not have the permission to work..........other than that you are good to go.........over %70 of nigerian doctors, pharmacist, bankers, lawyers, lectures, who vist america hadly would want to return back to nigeria except those above 50yrs.........

while i agree with you that you do not plug money on the street in america.....however ur willingness to work harder often pays off.......

i have friends in more than 8 countries of the world..........but in my conclusion i would advice youths who want to travel out to go these countries,.......belgium, canada, USA, australia and the bahamas island................

if you can obtain a dutch language training for 6 months and can be able understand, hear and write dutch, and you have a sister or brother who is legally resident in the united states......you can travel to belgium and study.......the school feels is cheap and immigration system is ok......

the best way to travel and have ur legal resident in any part of the world is if you study nursing in nigeria b4 leaving the country..............whether u are indian, african or asian....ur opportunity is simply boundless................
thank you. 'for ye sayeth the truth'
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by Cleopatranwa(f): 9:35am On Jul 18, 2012
love4ual: OCHUKOCCNA

Thanks 4sharing dis wit us,its so informative!
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by zoks(m): 4:13pm On Jul 18, 2012
steve_101:

Bushman,u sound like a bushman really,when the guy pay 2 years in advance for house rent and pay 2 years for shop,the fund will vanish, people always say ...."Start something",start what if I may ask?

I think you deserve a Nobel for saying that.I am so sick of people who say things that make you check your coordinates.Nigeria doesn't follow those glowing examples of dot.com boom or doughnut millionaire stories.The next time someone tells me to start something I'll spit in their face.
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by basadenet: 6:15pm On Jul 18, 2012
greall1: I'm also pray my children study in abroad than nigeria
1.foreign certificate respect than nigeria certificate
2.Amount of student paying now in nigeria almost equilevent paying in abroad.

Amount paid in Nigeria is not equivalent in any way to what is paid in U.K. can you convert #10,000 to Naira and you will understand what i am talking about. No comparison at all.
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by BUSHMAN1: 7:42pm On Jul 18, 2012
steve_101:

take it easy mister! i didnt know its that bad in nigeria,if so why do people in nigeria always advicing us relocate back to nigeria? and like i said earlier is not that easy here in england or america
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by BUSHMAN1: 7:50pm On Jul 18, 2012
zoks:

I think you deserve a Nobel for saying that.I am so sick of people who say things that make you check your coordinates.Nigeria doesn't follow those glowing examples of dot.com boom or doughnut millionaire stories.The next time someone tells me to start something I'll spit in their face.
why does he deserve medal? i hear people in nigeria are doing very well unless you are lazy unlike the others
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by AjanleKoko: 9:57am On Jul 19, 2012
justwise:

UK students do get loans/grants and some businesses do get loans from the banks strongly encouraged by their Govrt.

That sounds like UK students who are citizens.
What about Nigerians on student visa? Do they also get loans and grants? If they do, the UK is definitely Santa Claus. No wonder their debt to GDP ratio is like 80%.
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by zoks(m): 10:14am On Jul 19, 2012
BUSH MAN: why does he deserve medal? i hear people in nigeria are doing very well unless you are lazy unlike the others

I do not think that an inbred scum like you deserve a dignified response.Your handle is so apt it fits like a glove.
Run along,little one.
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by justwise(m): 11:26am On Jul 19, 2012
AjanleKoko:

That sounds like UK students who are citizens.
What about Nigerians on student visa? Do they also get loans and grants? If they do, the UK is definitely Santa Claus. No wonder their debt to GDP ratio is like 80%.

Foreign students don't get loans or grants but they do get fees discounts from their respective schools.
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by AjanleKoko: 11:36am On Jul 19, 2012
justwise:

Foreign students don't get loans or grants but they do get fees discounts from their respective schools.

Haba, bros.
Discount na benefit? Don't pay 20k GBP, pay 15kGBP. Is that a benefit?
Who knows if the school's cost wasn't more than 5k GBP in the first place?
Re: Are Nigerian Student Visa Applications To UK Mostly Bogus? by justwise(m): 11:48am On Jul 19, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Haba, bros.
Discount na benefit? Don't pay 20k GBP, pay 15kGBP. Is that a benefit?
Who knows if the school's cost wasn't more than 5k GBP in the first place?

Equivalent of 1.2m naira discount is nothing? Are you kidding me? That will take care of your rent and bills as a student for a whole year in the UK

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Nigeria Remains A Better Choice Than Abroad / Get A Permanent Residence Permit To Any European Country / Where Is The Place To Be? Uk Or The Us?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.