Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science (5916 Views)

5 Reasons Why Spooning With Your Spouse Is Healthy, Says Science / Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? / Successful Women Have Plenty Men In Their Lives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by SisiKill1: 2:27pm On Jul 17, 2012
Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science

Who is smarter, girls or boys? It's a perennial battle of the sexes that rages in schoolyards and over dinner tables across the nation. According new research by James Flynn, a world-renowned expert on IQ testing, the answer is that women are starting to edge out their male counterparts in the brains department.

Flynn examined data from western European countries, the United States, Canada, New Zealand, Argentina and Estonia and found that for the first time in a century of testing, women are scoring higher than men on IQ examinations. Until recently, women's scores lagged behind men's by as much as five percent leading some scientists to claim that men were inherently more intelligent than women. Over the decades, men's and women's scores have both improved, but women's have surged more dramatically. "The full effect of modernity on women is only just emerging," Flynn told the Sunday Times of London.

IQ, or "intelligence quotient" tests were developed in the early 20th Century. They rate a subject's aptitude for solving problems and understanding concepts compared with the general population. Tests generally examine language ability, mathematic ability, memory, and spatial ability. A score of over 130 indicates exceptional intelligence with the median score being about 100.

While multi-tasking has gotten a bad wrap in some psychological literature, Flynn speculates that the demands put on women's brains when they juggle work and family may have helped boost their scores. Another possibility he cites is that women have a higher potential for intelligence--which is emerging as they are given more opportunities to compete in the world outside the home. Flynn is currently working on a book on the subject of gender and IQ and says more research needs to be done in order to fully understand the results.

In the United States, this research coincides with statistics that show women now make up more than half of college undergraduates and hold more advanced degrees than men.

Do you think women are smarter than men? cheesy

http://shine.yahoo.com/secrets-to-your-success/women-higher-iqs-men-says-science-165600313.html
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by tpia5: 2:37pm On Jul 17, 2012
I think women have more perseverance than men, generally speaking and of course there are exceptions to the rule.

But i dont think women have higher IQs than men. They have more intuition maybe.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by SisiKill1: 3:02pm On Jul 17, 2012
I agree women have better, more honed in intuition and since intuition is also part of what makes up one's IQ. . .it lends credence to the study!!! cool
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 19, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by tpia5: 2:15pm On Jul 19, 2012
Its obviously self evident the writer of the article is in error.

What is less evident is the reason why another erroneous study claiming black women are the ugliest of all races, generated intense interest and even intense support from some black males.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by SisiKill1: 3:29pm On Jul 19, 2012
omo_to_dun: Who invented Microsoft, Apple, Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Ebay, Intel, AMD, Toyota, Mercedes Benz, etc?

Who wrote the American Constitution?

Who invented Calculus?

Who was the first person in space?

Who created this forum?

Who created C, C++, Java, PHP, C#, Javascript etc?

What gender was Einstein?

What gender was Jesus, Mohammed, Moses, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, Solomon?

Do you pray to any female deities?

All the folks above were MEN!

Even the idiot one who wrote that article was a MAN.

How has the increase in the I.Q. of women changed anything?

What have ye invented?

Maybe if them silly men let the woman out of the kitchen on time, they would have had the chance to create things too.

'Sides, who is to say they didn't but because men ruled the roost, they were silenced?? undecided

1 Like

Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by Tgirl4real(f): 3:52pm On Jul 19, 2012
Sisi kill, Sagamite must not see this thread o grin
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by kittykat1(f): 3:54pm On Jul 19, 2012
@ Sisi and omo: if women had invented those we would have less errors. Watch out for us the rest of this century.

;O ;O
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by kay9(m): 4:42pm On Jul 19, 2012
omo_to_dun: Who invented Microsoft, Apple, Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Ebay, Intel, AMD, Toyota, Mercedes Benz, etc?

Who invented Calculus?

Who created this forum?

What have ye invented?
grin grin grin grin Q.E.D!!! Hahahahaa...
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by nitrogen(m): 4:50pm On Jul 19, 2012
^^^ infact, End of discussion!!
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jul 19, 2012

Who invented Calculus?

Who created this forum?

What have ye invented?

cookbooks, recipes, crafts e.t.c.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by ronkebp(f): 4:58pm On Jul 19, 2012
SiSi kill, has started another war!!! me likey wink wink grin grin

I agree that women have higher IQ than men.

@Omotodun....just because men are at the forefront of producing stuffs or so we are meant to believe, does not mean women did not contribute to the success of whatever was created or produced. But the family and the role women play in the society at large have limited them.

What will men be doing with their extra time, if not creating and producing stuffs
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by SisiKill1: 5:03pm On Jul 19, 2012
davidylan:

cookbooks, recipes, crafts e.t.c.

Hahahahaaha!! OMFG! You are soooo wrong for this!! Lmao!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Okay this thread has to be taken in context or twill just become another us vs them thread. It was posted on the career section in response to the Marissa Mayer thread where some guys were going on and on about women not having the brains for the high tech world.

Just sayin' cool
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by SisiKill1: 5:04pm On Jul 19, 2012
ronkebp: SiSi kill, has started another war!!! me likey wink wink grin grin

I agree that women have higher IQ than men.

@Omotodun....just because men are at the forefront of producing stuffs or so we are meant to believe, does not mean women did not contribute to the success of whatever was created or produced. But the family and the role women play in the society at large have limited them.

What will men be doing with their extra time, if not creating and producing stuffs

Hahaha!! You wanna get me kicked in the rump, eh? cheesy
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by kittykat1(f): 5:18pm On Jul 19, 2012
Pls take into account that women have been repressed socially until recently. Women were previuosly supposed to be seen alone and not heard.

Education was not given to female kids freely and their place was in the kitchen. Even the intelligent ones who showed interested were not encouraged.

Its not a hidden fact that women liberations movements are kicked at by a lot of ppl. I remember that one of the guys I dated said his mom hated me cos I was an engineer and had to work offshore.anothers sister told me that successful women will never get married. I was just 24 and someone was proclaiming that on me just cos I dared to make a differnce.

If ppl still think like this in this age and time, imagine how they wld hv thot 2 or 3 hundred yrs ago. But I am glad that more and more ppl are beginning in to believe and work hard for women empowerment. That's the reason for the IQ rise. Women are being given the same opportunities as their male counter-parts.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by SisiKill1: 5:31pm On Jul 19, 2012
kitty kat: Pls take into account that women have been repressed socially until recently. Women were previuosly supposed to be seen alone and not heard.

Education was not given to female kids freely and their place was in the kitchen. Even the intelligent ones who showed interested were not encouraged.

Its not a hidden fact that women liberations movements are kicked at by a lot of ppl. I remember that one of the guys I dated said his mom hated me cos I was an engineer and had to work offshore.anothers sister told me that successful women will never get married. I was just 24 and someone was proclaiming that on me just cos I dared to make a differnce.

If ppl still think like this in this age and time, imagine how they wld hv thot 2 or 3 hundred yrs ago. But I am glad that more and more ppl are beginning in to believe and work hard for women empowerment. That's the reason for the IQ rise. Women are being given the same opportunities as their male counter-parts.

You tell 'em!! cool
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by ronkebp(f): 5:55pm On Jul 19, 2012
kitty kat: Pls take into account that women have been repressed socially until recently. Women were previuosly supposed to be seen alone and not heard.

True dat!!!!
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by kay9(m): 6:03pm On Jul 19, 2012
@kitty kat, ehe-ehem... umm, u may have a point there-ehhee-hheemmm!! grin
Doesn't in anyway grant y'all a surge in I.Q, though. The schnitznizz is in-born; u either have a high I.Q or u don't. Shikena.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jul 19, 2012
ronkebp:

True dat!!!!
Sisi_Kill:

You tell 'em!! cool

Anyone want to take a guess as to the gender of the 2 supporters above? grin
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by taryour(f): 6:25pm On Jul 19, 2012

Who invented Calculus?

Who created this forum?

What have ye invented?

wow quite intresting, but without a WOMAN IN THIER LIVES they would NEVER have accomplished dis. U ask those men....
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by ronkebp(f): 6:25pm On Jul 19, 2012
davidylan:

Anyone want to take a guess as to the gender of the 2 supporters above? grin

Na you sabi...."the truth is in the post"...grin grin grin
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by kay9(m): 6:34pm On Jul 19, 2012
taryour:

wow quite intresting, but without a WOMAN IN THIER LIVES they would NEVER have accomplished dis. U ask those men....

I bet some feminine feminist is reading this right now...and wishing u'd kept quiet! grin
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 19, 2012
Ha!Ha! Heh!He! Ho! Ho! Hum! Hay! Heh! Ho! Hay! Heh! Haa! He!
Sisi-kill,don't you get tired of doing this?
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by coogar: 7:00pm On Jul 19, 2012
there might be some iota of truth in the article! a girl born n bred in the same environment with a boy is usually smarter than the boy! girls are generally smarter than the boys of the same age!
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by ronkebp(f): 7:10pm On Jul 19, 2012
coogar: there might be some iota of truth in the article! a girl born n bred in the same environment with a boy is usually smarter than the boy! girls are generally smarter than the boys of the same age!

true dat!!!!
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by SisiKill1: 7:14pm On Jul 19, 2012
coogar: there might be more than iota of truth in the article! a girl born n bred in the same environment with a boy is usually smarter than the boy! girls are generally smarter than the boys of the same age!

You tell 'em!! cool

Ronke they will soon call us parrot! cheesy

NB
Original Post Edited for real Truthiness tongue
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by SisiKill1: 7:16pm On Jul 19, 2012
Richvkunt: Ha!Ha! Heh!He! Ho! Ho! Hum! Hay! Heh! Ho! Hay! Heh! Haa! He!

As long as I have breath. . .Dude!! cool cool
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by tpia5: 7:16pm On Jul 19, 2012
coogar: there might be some iota of truth in the article! a girl born n bred in the same environment with a boy is usually smarter than the boy!

dont know about that.

are you saying being raised with girls will dumb down a boy?

girls are generally smarter than the boys of the same age!

i personally havent found this to be true.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by ronkebp(f): 7:17pm On Jul 19, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

You tell 'em!! cool

Ronke they will soon call us parrot! cheesy

Naso.....that is why i am looking for trouble grin
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by SisiKill1: 7:21pm On Jul 19, 2012
tpia@:

dont know about that.

are you saying being raised with girls will dumb down a boy?

i personally havent found this to be true.

Tpia I don't think that's what he is saying. The smartness or lack thereof. . . of both genders are not mutually exclusive.

He is saying set on an even playing field, girls tend to do better than their male counter parts.
Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jul 19, 2012
Richvkunt: Ha!Ha! Heh!He! Ho! Ho! Hum! Hay! Heh! Ho! Hay! Heh! Haa! He!

Sisi_Kill:

As long as I have breath. . .Dude!! cool cool

Amusing,my advise to you is that you humble yourself and get yourself a man,who will purge you of your undue feminist supremacy theories.Anyone can post a survey from any where showing supremacy of either of the se.xes.
Just goggle male dominance or female dominance and you will get numerous results of surveys on male or female supremacy.Once again -get your self a man!

1 Like

Re: Women Have Higher IQs Than Men, Says Science by ronkebp(f): 7:38pm On Jul 19, 2012
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

An Ungrateful Wife / Joint Account With My Spouse? / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.