Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,207 members, 7,807,700 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:42 PM

African Literature Is Dying - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / African Literature Is Dying (1702 Views)

The NLNG Prize For Literature Is Here Again! Win $100,000 / How Do We Define African Literature? / Which Genre Of Literature Is Fast Going Into Extinction? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Literature Is Dying by Briareos(m): 3:14am On Jul 18, 2012
I believe that African Literature is dying. It is really saddening the way neo-colonization has corroded the minds of Africans. It has robbed us of all the things we hold very dear to us. I don’t even want to go into that issue now; I believe that’s another topic for another day.
My concern now is African Literature. Anyone that grew up in Nigeria around the 90’s upward might share the same concern as me.
We grew up with the works of great writers like Chinua Achebe, Ngugi wa Thiong’o (prolly the most brilliant African writer ever), Ayi Kwei Armah (comparable to Achebe), Alan Paton, Camara Laye, Peter Abrahams, Lewis Nkosi, Kofi Awooner, Dennis Brutus, Alex la Guma, Flora Nwapa, Elechi Amadi, Ben Okri, Nuruddin Farah, Helon Habila etc. Gawd, I can continue to mention these great people. These people really made me to be proud to be an African contrary to popular opinions. They made me to understand what Africa really represents; the good and the bad.
I was introduced through their books to many cultures and I was made to understand that Africans are not exactly barbarians like European books made the world to think we are.
But these days, nobody seems to be reading these books anymore. I recently pasted my Top 10 African writers on facebook and most of my friends confessed they don’t know any of the people on the list except of course Chinua Achebe and Wole Soyinka.
And the truth is; they only know these Nigerians by their names, few have actually read their books. How many young adult Nigerian has read The Interpreters, Ake: The Years of Childhood, the Man died? They are all Soyinka books.
How many has read No Longer at ease, Arrow of God, Anthill of Savannah? They are all Achebe’s book.
Our generation seems to have forgotten all these people and the annoying part is that we are not producing new writers. Apart from Chimamanda Adichie, I’m yet to hear of any other great writers from any African countries of recent times. Yeah, I might be reaching here, but I really can’t find anyone else.
The following is my Top Books by African Writers
1.Things Fall Apart – Chinua Achebe
2.Cry The Beloved Country – Alan Paton
3.Petals of Blood – Ngugi wa Thiong’o
4.Mine Boy – Peter Abrahams
5.The Beautiful Ones Are Not Yet Born – Ayi Kwei Armah
6.Arrow of God – Chinua Achebe
7.The Interpreters – Wole Soyinka
8.Underground People – Lewis Nkosi
9.This Earth, My Brother – Kofi Awooner
10.A Simple Lust – Dennis Brutus
11.The Healers – Ayi Kwei Armah
12.Echoes of Silence –John Ruganda
13.The House Gun – Nadine Gordimer
14.Matigari – Ngugi wa Thiong’o
15.Sozaboy – Ken Saro-Wiwa
16.Efuru – Flora Nwapa
17.An Elegy for Easterly – Petina Gappah
18.No Longer At Ease – Chinua Achebe
19.Without A Silver Spoon – Edie Iroh
20.The Man Died – Wole Soyinka
21.Potter’s Wheel – Chukwuemeka Ike
22.The Great Pond – Elechi Amadi
23.No Longer At Ease – Chinua Achebe
24.The Stone Virgins – Yvonne Vera
25.Jagua Nana – Cyprian Ekwensi
26.The Concubine – Elechi Amadi
27.An African Night Entertainment – Cyprian Ekwensi
28.Stars of the New Curfew – Ben Okri
29.Kill Me Quick – Meja Mwangi
30.Joys of Motherhood – Buchi Emecheta
The list is endless, really.

Feel free to add your own books.

1 Like

Re: African Literature Is Dying by deezoneclu: 9:27am On Jul 18, 2012
African literature is dying ooo. And in fact, african cultural values too.
Im currently readn Achebe's book 'A man of the people'
Read this awesome article i wrote on the death o cultural values and remember to leave a comment

http://davexpression./2012/07/17/death-of-african-values-culture-will-you-watch-it/
Re: African Literature Is Dying by Nobody: 11:00am On Jul 18, 2012
@OP. I kinda disagree with u!!! Do ur research well, we have exciting new Nigerian authors! Chimamanda is just one of them. Although I agree with u that d reading culture is really not heart-warming!! Many people don't have access to dis new books. Our bookshops are not helping matters!*save for a few in lagos, ph n abj*!! Have u tot about helping out in ur own way by promoting, selling n re-distributing Nigerian books part or full time? We have an exciting book club here in Calabar started by a State House of Assembly member! A great idea if u ask me!
Re: African Literature Is Dying by Briareos(m): 5:12pm On Jul 18, 2012
nchewi: @OP. I kinda disagree with u!!! Do ur research well, we have exciting new Nigerian authors! Chimamanda is just one of them. Although I agree with u that d reading culture is really not heart-warming!! Many people don't have access to dis new books. Our bookshops are not helping matters!*save for a few in lagos, ph n abj*!! Have u tot about helping out in ur own way by promoting, selling n re-distributing Nigerian books part or full time? We have an exciting book club here in Calabar started by a State House of Assembly member! A great idea if u ask me!

Buddy, don't talk bout access because now they have many options. Do you know how many books I read standing up with like other two people?

Do you know how many times I exchanged my lunch for a book? Lol.

That book club is really a great idea. We should have more of those.
Re: African Literature Is Dying by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jul 18, 2012
Briareos:

Do you know how many times I exchanged my lunch for a book? Lol.

Exchange lunch for a book? grin. Now, dat's badaxx!!! When I grow up, I would love to be like u bro!! Hehehehe...
Re: African Literature Is Dying by tpia5: 12:02am On Jul 19, 2012
We have an exciting book club here in Calabar started by a State House of Assembly member!

list the books which have been studied by this club, if you dont mind.

Just curious.
Re: African Literature Is Dying by Nobody: 1:17am On Jul 19, 2012
tpia@:

list the books which have been studied by this club, if you dont mind.

Just curious.

Okay, to be sincere, I have been out of calabar for a long while now! I only attended d inaugural meeting n one other! However, I get updates on their progress.

Re: African Literature Is Dying by tpia5: 2:56am On Jul 19, 2012
list, sweetie. wink
Re: African Literature Is Dying by Nobody: 9:05am On Jul 19, 2012
tpia@:
list, sweetie. wink

Okay. They actually have all sorts of books from Law to Economics, history, management, biographies, H.R.M etc. The few I can remember are:
Planet of Slums -Mike Davis
Giving - Bill Clinton
Economics For Dummies -
Sean Masaki Flynn
Losing my virginity - Richard Branson

I was only able to go thru Branson's book before leaving. The books in d pics above r also from d shelf. I think there were also some books from Nigerian/African authors too.
Re: African Literature Is Dying by tpia5: 3:00pm On Jul 19, 2012
^ is it a book club or a library?

Book club is when a group of people read and discuss a particular book within a given time frame. The books are obtained separately by the club members.

What you described sounds more like a library which is a place where books are physically kept.
Re: African Literature Is Dying by tpia5: 3:06pm On Jul 19, 2012
Thanks for explaining however.

Seems you folks keep your stuff undercover, so to speak.
Re: African Literature Is Dying by tpia5: 3:08pm On Jul 19, 2012
@original post

Thread would be great with photos of the books included.
Re: African Literature Is Dying by Orikinla(m): 3:44pm On Jul 19, 2012
African Literature is not dying and is even better and greater now than ever before.
Re: African Literature Is Dying by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jul 19, 2012
tpia@:
^ is it a book club or a library?

Book club is when a group of people read and discuss a particular book within a given time frame. The books are obtained separately by the club members.

What you described sounds more like a library which is a place where books are physically kept.

U are so on point! But as I earlier said......

nchewi:

Okay, to be sincere, I have been out of calabar for a long while now! I only attended d inaugural meeting n one other! However, I get updates on their progress.
Re: African Literature Is Dying by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jul 19, 2012
tpia@:
Thanks for explaining however.

Seems you folks keep your stuff undercover, so to speak.

They do group discussion as u earlier said! If u reside in calabar n u r interested, I'll pass on their contact. It's open to serious minded individuals!

Orikinla: African Literature is not dying and is even better and greater now than ever before.

I agree with u!
Re: African Literature Is Dying by Nobody: 7:36am On Feb 01, 2016
Briareos:
I believe that African Literature is dying. It is really saddening the way neo-colonization has corroded the minds of Africans. It has robbed us of all the things we hold very dear to us. I don’t even want to go into that issue now; I believe that’s another topic for another day.
My concern now is African Literature. Anyone that grew up in Nigeria around the 90’s upward might share the same concern as me.
We grew up with the works of great writers like Chinua Achebe, Ngugi wa Thiong’o (prolly the most brilliant African writer ever), Ayi Kwei Armah (comparable to Achebe), Alan Paton, Camara Laye, Peter Abrahams, Lewis Nkosi, Kofi Awooner, Dennis Brutus, Alex la Guma, Flora Nwapa, Elechi Amadi, Ben Okri, Nuruddin Farah, Helon Habila etc. Gawd, I can continue to mention these great people. These people really made me to be proud to be an African contrary to popular opinions. They made me to understand what Africa really represents; the good and the bad.
I was introduced through their books to many cultures and I was made to understand that Africans are not exactly barbarians like European books made the world to think we are.
But these days, nobody seems to be reading these books anymore. I recently pasted my Top 10 African writers on facebook and most of my friends confessed they don’t know any of the people on the list except of course Chinua Achebe and Wole Soyinka.
And the truth is; they only know these Nigerians by their names, few have actually read their books. How many young adult Nigerian has read The Interpreters, Ake: The Years of Childhood, the Man died? They are all Soyinka books.
How many has read No Longer at ease, Arrow of God, Anthill of Savannah? They are all Achebe’s book.
Our generation seems to have forgotten all these people and the annoying part is that we are not producing new writers. Apart from Chimamanda Adichie, I’m yet to hear of any other great writers from any African countries of recent times. Yeah, I might be reaching here, but I really can’t find anyone else.
The following is my Top Books by African Writers
1.Things Fall Apart – Chinua Achebe
2.Cry The Beloved Country – Alan Paton
3.Petals of Blood – Ngugi wa Thiong’o
4.Mine Boy – Peter Abrahams
5.The Beautiful Ones Are Not Yet Born – Ayi Kwei Armah
6.Arrow of God – Chinua Achebe
7.The Interpreters – Wole Soyinka
8.Underground People – Lewis Nkosi
9.This Earth, My Brother – Kofi Awooner
10.A Simple Lust – Dennis Brutus
11.The Healers – Ayi Kwei Armah
12.Echoes of Silence –John Ruganda
13.The House Gun – Nadine Gordimer
14.Matigari – Ngugi wa Thiong’o
15.Sozaboy – Ken Saro-Wiwa
16.Efuru – Flora Nwapa
17.An Elegy for Easterly – Petina Gappah
18.No Longer At Ease – Chinua Achebe
19.Without A Silver Spoon – Edie Iroh
20.The Man Died – Wole Soyinka
21.Potter’s Wheel – Chukwuemeka Ike
22.The Great Pond – Elechi Amadi
23.No Longer At Ease – Chinua Achebe
24.The Stone Virgins – Yvonne Vera
25.Jagua Nana – Cyprian Ekwensi
26.The Concubine – Elechi Amadi
27.An African Night Entertainment – Cyprian Ekwensi
28.Stars of the New Curfew – Ben Okri
29.Kill Me Quick – Meja Mwangi
30.Joys of Motherhood – Buchi Emecheta
The list is endless, really.

Feel free to add your own books.

Quite an impressive list you got there. I would perhaps add "A man of the People" to that Achebe trilogy, which was almost considered some sort of a rite of passage when I was growing up. It introduced us to African literature. The Concubine had a profound effect on me for some reason that I can't explain, and I'm not even Nigerian! I got so immersed in it. Such was the impact of African literature on Africans those days. I thoroughly enjoyed "Kill me Quick" and "Going Down River Road" by Meja Mwangi. Nuruddin's "From a crooked Rib", Peter Abrahams' "Mine Boy", Ngugi Wa Thiongo's "Weep Not, Child" and many others I can't name now. I also loved the Moses series by Barbara Kimenye in the earlier years of my childhood. Good old days, those were! We all stayed connected through these books and learned about each other's cultures.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Diary Of An African Teen. / The Adventures Of Uche Season 1 / [story] Manager’s Villa (rated 18+)...part 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.