Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,308 members, 7,808,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:34 AM

Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria (13071 Views)

Sending Executable Files Through Gmail / Google Launches A Crazy 1000Mbps Fibre Internet Connection! / Send Sms From Your Gmail Account To Any Cell Phone Anywhere! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by shakomende: 7:09pm On Jul 18, 2012
Google has launched Gmail SMS, a simple service that allows Nigerians, Ghanaians and Kenyans send and receive e-mails as SMS messages using their mobile phone regardless of whether or not their phones are connected to the Internet.

This service will prove to be extremely useful in these three countries given the often spotty state of Internet connectivity in many parts. Gmail SMS works on any phone including basic phones that only support voice and SMS.

The service automatically forwards users e-mails as SMS text messages to their phones. They can respond to the e-mails by responding directly to the SMS.

Receiving Gmail SMS is free of charge. Standard SMS rates apply when replying to messages, creating new messages and sending Gmail SMS commands from your phone.

How it works
“Gmail SMS automatically forwards your emails as SMS text messages to your phone and you can respond by replying directly to the SMS,” says Geva Rechav, Product Manager of Emerging Markets at Google. “You can control the emails received by replying with commands such as MORE, PAUSE and RESUME. Additionally, compose a new email as an SMS and send to any email address recipient – who will find your message in the right email conversation thread.”

So, how do you set yourself up with Gmail SMS?

First of all, you’ll need to log-in to your Gmail account, and click on your profile at the top of the page and then hit Account.

Next, you’ll have to access your settings in the “Phone and SMS” section:

You will then have to link your mobile phone number to your account to be able to send and receive emails from your handset:

http://www.cp-africa.com/2012/07/18/now-you-can-send-and-receive-your-e-mails-via-smswithout-an-internet-connection-google-launches-gmail-sms-in-nigeria-kenya-and-ghana/
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jul 18, 2012
cry

9 Likes

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by babarazy: 10:23pm On Jul 18, 2012
Interesting.

1 Like

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jul 18, 2012
Hmmm, Anyone confirm if this will work with Google Chat?

1 Like

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by bakjal(m): 10:25pm On Jul 18, 2012
Google gooegle goole...dis name is really takin anytin its hand can touch!
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by MrGlobe(m): 10:26pm On Jul 18, 2012
Billyonaire: Beware of Google and its allied products. Its CIA infested. Dont say I didnt tell you.
your blog is in danger. you don't talk ill of big g
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by alaoeri: 10:27pm On Jul 18, 2012
Welcome development.
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Enlightened1: 10:28pm On Jul 18, 2012
@ Billyonaire

How is it CIA infested? Any prove to back your claims?
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by ZUBY77(m): 10:28pm On Jul 18, 2012
I am heading back to my village. This is getting out of hand.

2 Likes

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by echibuzor: 10:28pm On Jul 18, 2012
i tried and i got bounced around.. any person done it? pls enlighten pls....
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jul 18, 2012
Mr. Globe:

your blog is in danger. you don't talk ill of big g
grin
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by otumfour(m): 10:30pm On Jul 18, 2012
kofi holiday grin grin grin grin
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by affordable2: 10:30pm On Jul 18, 2012
I love google
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jul 18, 2012
For security reasons, I dont think i'l use this stuff

1 Like

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jul 18, 2012
Enlightened1: @ Billyonaire

How is it CIA infested? Any prove to back your claims?
cry

2 Likes

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Asemo11(m): 10:34pm On Jul 18, 2012
Nice development
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by damola1: 10:35pm On Jul 18, 2012
Billyonaire: Am serious, their applets have gprs that tracks you based on googlemaps. No time to go into this bro, seriously, be careful. NOTHING FREE FROM GOOGLE, TWITTER AND FACEBOOK....They have eyes on board the international space center last I checked. Thank me later!

so?
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jul 18, 2012
Google is internet while internet is google cool

1 Like

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Patsey: 10:36pm On Jul 18, 2012
If this is true, then it's GOOD news to the poor masses and the common man, but DEEPLY SAD/BAD news for telephone operators milking the poor across the African continent. Forget about the CIA. Have you anything to hide?

3 Likes

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jul 18, 2012
Non encrypted...I'll pass
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by tonyx4x44(m): 10:46pm On Jul 18, 2012
Ohow much
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jul 18, 2012
Billyonaire: Beware of Google and its allied products. Its CIA infested. Dont say I didnt tell you.
CIA infested? Pls elucidate
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by MrGlobe(m): 10:47pm On Jul 18, 2012
Billyonaire: Am serious, their applets have gprs that tracks you based on googlemaps. No time to go into this bro, seriously, be careful. NOTHING FREE FROM GOOGLE, TWITTER AND FACEBOOK....They have eyes on board the international space center last I checked. Thank me later!
who claims to not know this and for the people asking of the implication of this I have nothing to say to you.
btw beaf, what's up with gathered handle changing always? from beaf to billyonnaire. haha.
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Revolva(m): 10:49pm On Jul 18, 2012
Gmail is the best email service in the world Yahoo is a big time loser but as for the sms thing don't think I will subscribe ooo because I already route my gmail to my blackberry and if any email comes in I reply well sms may not need internet sha umm

2 Likes

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jul 18, 2012
Mr. Globe:

who claims to not know this and for the people asking of the implication of this I have nothing to say to you.
btw beaf, what's up with gathered handle changing always? from beaf to billyonnaire. haha.
cry
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jul 18, 2012
Is this for real? Finally. I can't wait to try it out.

1 Like

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by hammedkola(m): 10:55pm On Jul 18, 2012
ZUBY77: I am heading back to my village. This is getting out of hand.

after you
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Eltonluigi(m): 10:55pm On Jul 18, 2012
Paranoia!
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by wandeay: 10:56pm On Jul 18, 2012
if you use your email for business, dont subscibe to this service, you private messages will be more exposed to a person who wants to use your phone

2 Likes

Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by INFO70: 10:56pm On Jul 18, 2012
Where is yahoo ? grin
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by threnody: 10:58pm On Jul 18, 2012
THEY DERE DEY ASK FOR SOURCE TO BACK UP A FACT. DEM GO JUST FIRE U DRONE !
Re: Google Launches Gmail SMS In Nigeria by Connoisseur(m): 10:59pm On Jul 18, 2012
I dont ve anything the CIA might want. So nothing do me.
Me likey

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

VSAT in Nigeria / What's Your Budget? Let's Help You Get A PC / Replace Your Damaged Or Broken Laptop Screen Here At Cheap Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.