Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,518 members, 7,808,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:40 PM

Price Of Bread Increased By 20% - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Price Of Bread Increased By 20% (6906 Views)

See The Bread I Bought From Onitsha Shoprite Yesterday / What Do You Call The Outside Piece Of Bread / Picture Of Baker Sleeping On A Bed Of Bread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by deandavid(m): 6:56am On Jul 19, 2012
CONSUMERS of bread in the country are in for a tough time, as bakers in the country, under the auspices of Association of Master Bakers and Caterers of Nigeria, have announced a 20 per cent increase in the price of the product.

The national chairman of the association, Simeon Abanulor, made the announcement in Sagamu, Ogun State, on Tuesday.

He stated that the decision to increase the price of bread was necessitated by the recent Federal Government’s policy, which increased the levy on importation of wheat by 15 per cent.

He said: “It was unanimously agreed by all members of our association that the price of bread be increased by 20 per cent, due to the recently introduced levy of 15 per cent on importation of wheat.”

He expressed the readiness of the association to reduce the price, “as soon as the prices of flour and other additives are reduced” as a result of the Federal Government’s policy on cassava flour.

He appealed to all consumers of bread in the country “to bear with us and accept the new price in good faith.”

The bakers’ chairman, while speaking on the new initiative by the Federal Government to inculcate the habit of cassava bread in Nigerians, noted that it would “take time before the policy can be achieved.”

He advised the Federal Government to ensure adequate training for bakers all over the country and provide equipment for bakers in the country.

He also opined that the only thing Nigeria could achieve in the use of cassava flour for now is mixing 20 per cent of cassava flour with 80 per cent wheat flour as against the 40 per cent cassava flour, being advocated by the Federal Government.

A director at the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Titus Adetunji, while speaking at the press briefing, insisted that the Federal Government had no intention of increasing bread price with the introduction of cassava bread initiative.

He stated that the whole idea behind the policy “is to give cassava flour advantage over wheat flour and reduce importation of wheat and at the same time, increase cassava production in the country.”

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/44462-bakers-increase-price-of-bread
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by deandavid(m): 8:23am On Jul 19, 2012
i decieded to share this news with nlers,becos it's going to be big problem 4 me and many others who eat bread everyday, what i dnt understand is why did the fg not think of a better way to encourage the cassava bread eating, than raising tax, the consumers will end up paying more. I dnt mind eating the cassava bread, but should first be made available and cheap. This our leaders are jst heartless, causing inflation everyday, and they want the naira to grow. Yeye people
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by edogram1(m): 9:36am On Jul 19, 2012
That is pre-pos-ter-ous
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by Jabioro: 2:00pm On Jul 19, 2012
Where is d cassava bread? Putting d cart b4 d horse...fresh air indeed!
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by ebamma(m): 2:00pm On Jul 19, 2012
its high time i patronise that cassava bread.
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by ebamma(m): 2:02pm On Jul 19, 2012
its seem pastor bakare was not lying when he said that president jonathan's destiny is to ruin NIGERIA
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by owabor(f): 2:02pm On Jul 19, 2012
Dis is an avenue for GEJ 2 conclude wit his cassava bread policy. God help naija.

1 Like

Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by Freiburger(m): 2:03pm On Jul 19, 2012
No cause for alarm, the cassava bread will soon come and displace all these the present ones and reduce the prices by up to a 100%
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jul 19, 2012
If hot tea drops on the cassava bread it becomes eba and you haven't lost the value for your money since you only need to get yourself a pot of soup; unlike the conventional bread. THINK ON THE POSITIVE SIDE.

6 Likes

Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by searchcorp(m): 2:03pm On Jul 19, 2012
See me see wahala o, if bread nor dey again, na to use cabin biscuit drink tea go sure pass nah....

No time... Unto the next one joor

1 Like

Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by PHIPEX(m): 2:06pm On Jul 19, 2012
So so sad for the poor among us. Am not completely supporting the govt even though they may be trying to encourage local production but why should a 15% increase in cost of wheat make the Bakers increase the cost of bread by 20% when other costs involved in baking the bread are still constant? Is Wheat the only factor in making bread? Is there no way these prices can be regulated since they have turned themselves into a cartel?
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by kumbalo(m): 2:06pm On Jul 19, 2012
i knew it would come to this when the FG announced that wheat importattion be levied. These people haven't made a single people-friendly policy in the last few months. No amount of talk here would change anything....Let's just keep praying.
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by Europe(f): 2:08pm On Jul 19, 2012
why are nigerians against their govt anytime a policy is out?as for me casava bread don dey since,na dis same bakers dey call am wheat bread. My father owns a bakery in borno cheesy
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by Drfox(m): 2:15pm On Jul 19, 2012
wetin, na must say I go drink tea self....,Na for pple wey wan form oyibo, i don finish my african dish, cassava bread carry go!!!
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by miteolu(m): 2:19pm On Jul 19, 2012
Jabioro: Where is d cassava bread? Putting d cart b4 d horse...fresh air indeed!

Less than 10% welcome cassava bread.
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by kaiter: 2:21pm On Jul 19, 2012
If hot tea drops on the cassava bread it becomes eba and you haven't lost the value for your money since you only need to get yourself a pot of soup; unlike the conventional bread. [img]http://www.demama.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by miteolu(m): 2:21pm On Jul 19, 2012
ebamma: its seem pastor bakare was not lying when he said that president jonathan's destiny is to ruin NIGERIA

May be GEJ should put subsidy on bread
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by miteolu(m): 2:22pm On Jul 19, 2012
swtedy: PLS I NEED A GOOD PLACE I CAN GET GOOD FURNITURE OF ABOUT 60 TO 70K IN PORT HARCOURT.LEATHER TO BE PRECISE

ASK GOOGLE TRADER http://www.google.com.ng/local/trader/s/Furniture%20&%20Home/furniture
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by tpia5: 2:23pm On Jul 19, 2012
kaiter: If hot tea drops on the cassava bread it becomes eba and you haven't lost the value for your money since you only need to get yourself a pot of soup; unlike the conventional bread.

You actually might have a point there.
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by tpia5: 2:23pm On Jul 19, 2012
miteolu:

May be GEJ should put subsidy on bread

True.
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by LordReed(m): 2:26pm On Jul 19, 2012
So even bakers now have a cartel? Modern day wahala!
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by oge4real(f): 2:26pm On Jul 19, 2012
One week, one trouble for Nigeria. On the bright side, this may create jobs for some of our graduates from the agriculture department.
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by paulcr7: 2:28pm On Jul 19, 2012
Pls lets try to understand these people.currently,wheat is the major raw material used in bread making.what the FG is trying to do is to introduce cassava because Nigeria is importing wheat and cassava is locally produced.The 15% increase in import duties of wheat is to reduce the quantity of wheat and supplement it with cassava(since its abundant locally).if the 60:40(wheat:cassava)is achieved,then the price of bread will either fall back to normal or even reduce its price.The issue now according to the chairman is now the quality.if the quality can be retained,then y not just endure the price increase till the FG policy is implemented.NIGERIA,GIANT OF AFRICA
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by hbrednic: 2:28pm On Jul 19, 2012
thou shall not live by bread alone

1 Like

Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by Sealeddeal(m): 2:34pm On Jul 19, 2012
PHIPEX: So so sad for the poor among us. Am not completely supporting the govt even though they may be trying to encourage local production but why should a 15% increase in cost of wheat make the Bakers increase the cost of bread by 20% when other costs involved in baking the bread are still constant? Is Wheat the only factor in making bread? Is there no way these prices can be regulated since they have turned themselves into a cartel?
....thank you for such a careful aboservatio.those union are bunch of criminals who must be under use by oppositions.Or maybe,they want people to believe its FG fault.
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jul 19, 2012
If the price of Bread has gone up, its an opportunity to invest in Bakery instead of complaining.....

1 Like

Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by Bukkyade: 2:39pm On Jul 19, 2012
These reforms we would never understand now till the time comes. The reforms are for our own good and we should embrace them with all our heart and mind. FG is working and doing its possible best to ensure that Nigeria is better place.
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by crackhouse(m): 2:40pm On Jul 19, 2012
I strongly believe that the FG is trying to enrich sb somewhere through the introduction of this cassava bread. Don't be surprise when u hear that the Fed. Govt have given Mr. A the license to be the sole supplier of cassava flour in Nigeria as they did for Dangote.
Re: Price Of Bread Increased By 20% by Chylo(m): 2:42pm On Jul 19, 2012
According to Wikipedia:
Cassava roots and leaves should not be consumed raw because they contain two cyanogenic glucosides, linamarin and lotaustralin. These are decomposed by linamarase, a naturally-occurring enzyme in cassava, liberating hydrogen cyanide (HCN). Cassava varieties are often categorized as either sweet or bitter, signifying the absence or presence of toxic levels of cyanogenic glucosides, respectively. The so-called sweet (actually not bitter) cultivars can produce as little as 20 milligrams of cyanide (CN) per kilogram of fresh roots, whereas bitter ones may produce more than 50 times as much (1 g/kg). Cassavas grown during drought are especially high in these toxins. A dose of 40 mg of pure cassava cyanogenic glucoside is sufficient to kill a cow.[citation needed] Excess cyanide residue from improper preparation is known to cause acute cyanide intoxication, and goiters, and has been linked to ataxia (a neurological disorder affecting the ability to walk, also known as konzo). It has also been linked to tropical calcific pancreatitis in humans, leading to chronic pancreatitis.
Societies that traditionally eat cassava generally understand some processing (soaking, cooking, fermentation, etc.) is necessary to avoid getting sick.

Symptoms of acute cyanide intoxication appear four or more hours after ingesting raw or poorly processed cassava: vertigo, vomiting, and collapse. In some cases, death may result within one or two hours. It can be treated easily with an injection of thiosulfate (which makes sulfur available for the patient's body to detoxify by converting the poisonous cyanide into thiocyanate).[35]
"Chronic, low-level cyanide exposure is associated with the development of goiter and with tropical ataxic neuropathy, a nerve-damaging disorder that renders a person unsteady and uncoordinated. Severe cyanide poisoning, particularly during famines, is associated with outbreaks of a debilitating, irreversible paralytic disorder called konzo and, in some cases, death. The incidence of konzo and tropical ataxic neuropathy can be as high as 3% in some areas." Brief soaking (four hours) of cassava is not sufficient, but soaking for 18–24 hours can remove up to half the level of cyanide. Drying may not be sufficient, either.

The reliance on cassava as a food source and the resulting exposure to the goitrogenic effects of thiocyanate has been responsible for the endemic goiters seen in the Akoko area of southwestern Nigeria. People dependent on cassava risk cyanide poisoning and malnutrition diseases such as kwashiorkor and endemic goiter.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hot Hot Sales: Mobile Food Cart/Food truck / Recipes For Carribean Foods / This Watermelon Is The Most Disappointing Thing I've Ever Seen In My Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.