Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:04 PM

Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture (31972 Views)

Diary Of An Ibadan Hustler In Lagos / Which Of These European Countries Is Good To Live In As Hustler/jjc / Null (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by lekkie073(m): 7:16am On Jul 20, 2012
Chinom:

Yes, you heard right. i stand by that statement 100%. I don't know in which sh*ithole you live in when you are in Nigeria, but having lived in both sides of the world for a long time, i can tell you categorically that a rich Nigerian in Nigeria lives a better life than a rich Nigerian in the west. By rich i'm not even talking about the Dangote, Adenuga level, i'm talking about guys that make an average of N850,000 a month in whatever they're engaged in.
Has it occurred to you that 85% of the people you see inside the plane enroute London do not live there.
They are going on vacation and to shop. The miserable looking 10-15% are those that actually live and work in Europe and USA.
Thank you for d enlighenement...coming from someone who has tasted both worlds at least. Some of my naija brodas believe dat once they land uk, dem go just dey pick pounds for ground like waste paper. I pity such ignoramus!
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Nobody: 9:14am On Jul 20, 2012
chucky234: We too much for Naija,the life of a hustler in picture.
Why my Name? sad
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Nobody: 9:15am On Jul 20, 2012
lekkie073:
Thank you for d enlighenement...coming from someone who has tasted both worlds at least. Some of my naija brodas believe dat once they land uk, dem go just dey pick pounds for ground like waste paper. I pity such ignoramus!

Sorry to break it to you, he didn't really taste both sides of the world. I am not really interested in going back and forth but the truth is that living as a middle/upper middle class in the UK is miles ahead of living the same in Nigeria. What the heck is wrong with washing your own car, or carrying your own luggage? I desire to return to live in Nigeria purely based on sentiment rather than logic.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Santi222(m): 9:17am On Jul 20, 2012
Thought provoking thread.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Skywalker5(m): 9:26am On Jul 20, 2012
naijababe:

Sorry to break it to you, he didn't really taste both sides of the world. I am not really interested in going back and forth but the truth is that living as a middle/upper middle class in the UK is miles ahead of living the same in Nigeria. What the heck is wrong with washing your own car, or carrying your own luggage? I desire to return to live in Nigeria purely based on sentiment rather than logic.

Some People in Nigeria love to be worshiped. They enjoy the pride in being better than their fellow humans because they have more money than them so they can talk anyhow. As long as they get that, they feel their quality of life is better.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by AjanleKoko: 9:28am On Jul 20, 2012
naijababe:

NB,
I am pretty certain that upper middle class/upper class people in the UK don't wash their own cars, or carry their own luggage. Same as Nigeria.
There's a difference between working-class with decent earnings, and actual upper class people. It's just that in Nigeria, unskilled/semi-skilled labour is very cheap, so you can organize a nanny, maid, and driver for under 100k a month and feel large with yourself. Try am for UK grin

For me anyway, the quality of life is relative. I'm generally happy with my life in Naija, and wouldn't trade it for the UK. But Spain? Without a doubt. I plan to retire to the Iberian peninsula anyway.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Skywalker5(m): 9:33am On Jul 20, 2012
AjanleKoko:

NB,
I am pretty certain that upper middle class/upper class people in the UK don't wash their own cars, or carry their own luggage. Same as Nigeria.
There's a difference between working-class with decent earnings, and actual upper class people. It's just that in Nigeria, unskilled/semi-skilled labour is very cheap, so you can organize a nanny, maid, and driver for under 100k a month and feel large with yourself. Try am for UK grin

For me anyway, the quality of life is relative. I'm generally happy with my life in Naija, and wouldn't trade it for the UK. But Spain? Without a doubt. I plan to retire to the Iberian peninsula anyway.

I disagree with your first sentence.

Your sentence about cheap labour is also funny. Just so you know, that not cheap labour,that's slavery. if you can pay 3 people under 100k. How do you expect them to feed their family? Of course, it not your business
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Nobody: 9:40am On Jul 20, 2012
AjanleKoko:

NB,

Bros, families with £100k+ annual income are considered upper middle class in the UK at least, they still wash their cars and carry their luggages.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by AjanleKoko: 10:00am On Jul 20, 2012
naijababe: .

Bros, families with £100k+ annual income are considered upper middle class in the UK at least, they still wash their cars and carry their luggages.

Are you sure about that? I mean the income bracket for upper middle class in the UK?
Just like most people earning N15-20m in Nigeria can't afford to buy a house in Ikoyi or Lekki, I'd expect that someone earning £100k plus would not be able to afford digs in Knightsbridge, Kensington, or Victoria. The tax regime lasan would probably put paid to that.

My own assessment of an upper middle class fellow is someone that can afford to pay N300m for a house in Ikoyi, or £2.5m in Earl's Court. That kind of person would definitely have a retinue of servants. You know those people that move from office to club to villa to yatcht. Those are my own upper-middle class people oh. If you no dey that level, you still dey rat race, auntie grin
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Nobody: 10:12am On Jul 20, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Are you sure about that? I mean the income bracket for upper middle class in the UK?
Just like most people earning N15-20m in Nigeria can't afford to buy a house in Ikoyi or Lekki, I'd expect that someone earning £100k plus would not be able to afford digs in Knightsbridge, Kensington, or Victoria. The tax regime lasan would probably put paid to that.

My own assessment of an upper middle class fellow is someone that can afford to pay N300m for a house in Ikoyi, or £2.5m in Earl's Court. That kind of person would definitely have a retinue of servants. You know those people that move from office to club to villa to yatcht. Those are my own upper-middle class people oh. If you no dey that level, you still dey rat race, auntie grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin You want to 'wunjure'me with your post. Bros, the income bracket for the upper middle class is what I stated earlier, people with those kinda digs as in your post are rich people and I agree rich people don't wash their cars or carry their own luggage.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by chucky234(m): 10:13am On Jul 20, 2012
kunletiwoo: Why my Name? sad
Hahaha,my bad... Sorry oooo Kunle.
Thank God say tiwoo follow for your own Kunle.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by sammy57: 10:55am On Jul 20, 2012
It is called "gburu", better than 419. Generally ,you can do this where nobody knows you. No problem. It doesn't have to be overseas. You can leave your hometown for Abuja or Lagos without anyone knowing you're "agbero". It might even be a testimony of your inner strenght!
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by AjanleKoko: 11:36am On Jul 20, 2012
naijababe:

grin grin grin grin grin grin You want to 'wunjure'me with your post. Bros, the income bracket for the upper middle class is what I stated earlier, people with those kinda digs as in your post are rich people and I agree rich people don't wash their cars or carry their own luggage.

In that case, the UK big boys no reach Naija big boys, i am sorry to say. tongue
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by manie(m): 12:09pm On Jul 20, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I don't think anybody that can afford N300 million to buy a house should be referred to a middle class. I am sure such a person will also have investments in shares, businesses, cars etc. At the end of the day the net worth of the person will definitely be up to a minimum of N600 million or 4 million dollars.
Even in America people with a net-worth of 4 million dollars belong to upper class, although we have levels in the upper class.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by lekkie073(m): 12:12pm On Jul 20, 2012
AjanleKoko:

NB,

Quality of life as u say is relative. I have never had cause to be denied visa to anywhere or at any point in time before in my life. Why? I always scale through any laid down criterion for visa issuance. But i will live and die in naija.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by lekkie073(m): 12:17pm On Jul 20, 2012
Then, i noticed dat those with average investments don't often complain about naija. Its those that are paid salaries that do. A word of advice...investment is assurance of quality life. If there's wealth, a man can stay in a remote village and still live like the queen. Its all about d pepper
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by manie(m): 12:21pm On Jul 20, 2012
AjanleKoko:

In that case, the UK big boys no reach Naija big boys, i am sorry to say. tongue

What is the percentage of the so-called Nigeria big boys that have a net-worth of a minimum of N600 million, I am sure they are not up to 2% of the population that is about 3 million people.
About 500,000 will be politicians and their cronies, may be 2 million of them are successful businessmen and investors, and may 500,000 of them are top executives in the private sector.
I am very sure that this estimate of mine is highly inflated, the number of people with a minimum net-worth of N600 million are far less than 2% of the population.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by AjanleKoko: 12:26pm On Jul 20, 2012
manie:

I don't think anybody that can afford N300 million to buy a house should be referred to a middle class. I am sure such a person will also have investments in shares, businesses, cars etc. At the end of the day the net worth of the person will definitely be up to a minimum of N600 million or 4 million dollars.
Even in America people with a net-worth of 4 million dollars belong to upper class, although we have levels in the upper class.

Upper class in Nigeria starts from people who are worth tens of millions, or billions in Nigerian parlance. The people who 'own things'.
I know people who own houses worth 250m naira in Lekki, but can't be considered as 'upper class'. wink

lekkie073: Then, i noticed dat those with average investments don't often complain about naija. Its those that are paid salaries that do. A word of advice...investment is assurance of quality life. If there's wealth, a man can stay in a remote village and still live like the queen. Its all about d pepper

Well . . . very good point there.
We all complain about Naija. However, I'm only interested in making doe. If there's doe in Nigeria, all the PHCN in the world can't chase me away. grin
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by AjanleKoko: 12:27pm On Jul 20, 2012
manie:

What is the percentage of the so-called Nigeria big boys that have a net-worth of a minimum of N600 million, I am sure they are not up to 0.5% of the population that is about 3 million people.
About 500,000 will be politicians and their cronies, may be 2 million of them are successful businessmen and investors, and may 500,000 of them are top executives in the private sector.
I am very sure that this estimate of mine is highly inflated, the number of people with a minimum net-worth of N600 million are far less than 0.5% of the population.

So what percentage of people in the UK have net worth of N600 million?
50%?
I'm sure very few people in the UK earn up to 100k pounds.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by manie(m): 12:28pm On Jul 20, 2012
Anybody with a net-worth of N600 million in Nigeria is not a member of the upper middle class, but a member of the upper class.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by manie(m): 12:32pm On Jul 20, 2012
AjanleKoko:

So what percentage of people in the UK have net worth of N600 million?
50%?

What I am saying is that such a person belongs to the upper class. Although for upper class, strata still dey.
We have millionaires, deca- millionaires, multi millionaira, billionaires and multi billionaires all in pound or dollars.

I think a net-worth of N600 million or 4 million dollar is just a millionaire. Such a person belongs to lower upper class.

Poverty sef get class
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by AjanleKoko: 12:32pm On Jul 20, 2012
manie: Anybody with a net-worth of N600 million in Nigeria is not a member of the upper middle class, but a member of the upper class.

Bros, trust me on this one.
600 million is nothing major in Nigeria, as far as the upper class is concerned.

manie:

What I am saying is that such a person belongs to the upper class. Although for upper class, strata still dey.
We have millionaires, deca- millionaires, multi millionaira, billionaires and multi billionaires all in pound or dollars.

I think a net-worth of N600 million or 4 million dollar is just a millionaire. Such a person belongs to lower upper class.

Poverty sef get class

LOL@Lower upper class cheesy

But this whole UK-Nigeria comparison got me thinking, and truth be told, Nigerian bigger boys are probably enjoying more than UK big boys.
The wealth distribution is very uneven in Nigeria, to the point of ridiculous. Consider that one fresh graduate can be earning 600k naira a year (telco call center), and another earning N10m a year (Shell). That's more than fifteen times difference. I doubt many countries have such ridiculous disparities.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by manie(m): 12:57pm On Jul 20, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Bros, trust me on this one.
600 million is nothing major in Nigeria, as far as the upper class is concerned.

LOL@Lower upper class cheesy

But this whole UK-Nigeria comparison got me thinking, and truth be told, Nigerian bigger boys are probably enjoying more than UK big boys.
The wealth distribution is very uneven in Nigeria, to the point of ridiculous. Consider that one fresh graduate can be earning 600k naira a year (telco call center), and another earning N10m a year (Shell). That's more than fifteen times difference. I doubt many countries have such ridiculous disparities.

Nationally it is a big deal, people with this net-worth are about 1% of our population. In a place like Banana Island a net-worth of N600 million will place you in the lower class in that estate, infact such a person will be a tenant in the estate.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by manie(m): 1:03pm On Jul 20, 2012
manie:

Nationally it is a big deal, people with this net-worth are about 1% of our population. In a place like Banana Island a net-worth of N600 million will place you in the lower class in that estate, infact such a person will be a tenant in the estate.

To our corrupt politicians N600 million is the allowance to fuel their generators or cars, our president will need more than that for his meals.
But to most hardworking Nigerian workers, businessmen, Entrepreneurs, executives it is a big deal. Anybody who accumulates such wealth legally should be commended. I also know people who made such money without stealing or embezzling public funds.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by grandstar(m): 1:04pm On Jul 20, 2012
Immigrants always do the jobs that locals refuse to do. Thats the trend worldwide.

Nigerians are not excluded.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Heymus(m): 1:18pm On Jul 20, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Possible.
Also, I find that most if not all of the cleaners and security guards I have come across in Nigeria don't have beyond school certificate. Some have maybe OND. I'm yet to come across one that has a degree.

However, a lot of the security guards (who are mostly men) are trying to get a degree from one part time school or the other.
A lot of the cleaners are women, and are either already married to some blue-collar person, or have kids outside wedlock. A few are also trying to get a degree as well.

There's a lot of similarity in both paradigms, either here or outside the country.

I agree with at least the first paragraph of your post. Unfortunately in Nigeria, the real hustle is outside the school environment, and the people have not matured enough to understand the real meaning of that statement. So everybody tries to chase the paper certificate.

The one thing that disturbs me the most about Nigerians is very simple: We as a people don't believe that we can make it via hard, unglamorous work. For us, it's always going to be a lottery, so we spend all our time and energy playing it. Even in school, Nigerians pass exams but rarely learn anything of value.
AjanleKoko:

Possible.
Also, I find that most if not all of the cleaners and security guards I have come across in Nigeria don't have beyond school certificate. Some have maybe OND. I'm yet to come across one that has a degree.

However, a lot of the security guards (who are mostly men) are trying to get a degree from one part time school or the other.
A lot of the cleaners are women, and are either already married to some blue-collar person, or have kids outside wedlock. A few are also trying to get a degree as well.

There's a lot of similarity in both paradigms, either here or outside the country.

I agree with at least the first paragraph of your post. Unfortunately in Nigeria, the real hustle is outside the school environment, and the people have not matured enough to understand the real meaning of that statement. So everybody tries to chase the paper certificate.

The one thing that disturbs me the most about Nigerians is very simple: We as a people don't believe that we can make it via hard, unglamorous work. For us, it's always going to be a lottery, so we spend all our time and energy playing it. Even in school, Nigerians pass exams but rarely learn anything of value.
AjanleKoko:

Possible.

it is just as simple as A B C mybroda.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by dcodesmith(m): 1:22pm On Jul 20, 2012
ebamma: an average cleaner in the uk may earn upto 20 to 30 pounds per hour,i will leave u to do the maths,if he works atleast 20 hrs a week.

Cleaners on £20 to £30/hr. Are you sure about that boss? I live in UK n I'll gladly give u half of my salary if u can show me the payslip of this person earning that much for cleaning. Shey na Queen nyash dem dey clean?

Fresh out of Uni I was earning abt £100/day as Programmer, which is about £14 - £15/hr.
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by lekkie073(m): 1:30pm On Jul 20, 2012
@ebamma, u я part of those ppl who will tell us dat dem dey pick money for waste bin for uk. Am so sure u ve never been out of dis country b4. #justmythots
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by ManTJ1(m): 2:39pm On Jul 20, 2012
fashizie: shut up dia n call a spade a spade
cos the pepper is more.period!

U missed it, cus our exchange rate is worse
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Godogwu: 4:05pm On Jul 20, 2012
lagcity:
kai! igbo man , i hail ooo. grin grin grin see as d guy just do d whole calculation for him head.

Lol you know this!!!
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by Fhemmmy: 4:12pm On Jul 20, 2012
manie:

To our corrupt politicians N600 million is the allowance to fuel their generators or cars, our president will need more than that for his meals.
But to most hardworking Nigerian workers, businessmen, Entrepreneurs, executives it is a big deal. Anybody who accumulates such wealth legally should be commended. I also know people who made such money without stealing or embezzling public funds.

Thus my reason why we need something to be done in Nigeria for a better nation . . . Why use so much to fuel a generator when we could invest in constant electricity
Re: Life Of A Nigerian Hustler In Picture by AjanleKoko: 4:29pm On Jul 20, 2012
Sky-walker:

I disagree with your first sentence.

Your sentence about cheap labour is also funny. Just so you know, that not cheap labour,that's slavery. if you can pay 3 people under 100k. How do you expect them to feed their family? Of course, it not your business

How can you disagree with something you don't know about? You're not British upper class, are you? tongue

And to the second comment. Your complaint reads like righteous indignation. 3 people earning under 100k is still above Nigeria's minimum wage. Or is the minimum wage meant for animals? Someone's got to earn it.

Plus, don't shoot the messenger. I didn't determine the going rate. The market did. Don't hate the player, bro, hate the game!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Determined Immigrant WE-MOVE / Check Out Throwback Pix Of Nigeria Airways, Lagos To New York For Less Than N18K / Foreign Airlines Are Underpricing Us - Alex Onyema

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.