Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,647 members, 7,801,884 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:44 AM

How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing (15787 Views)

Exposed:how To Create Your Own Professional JAMB CBT Software No Coding Required / What Would Be Your Economic Policies If You Were The President Of Nigeria? / Test Your Economic Skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 7:39pm On Dec 11, 2012
82)Just do it
(yep, its a Nike slogan, but please use with caution)

I love the bible book of proverbs,it tells us a lot about how lazy folks speak, think, and the excuses the make not to take a step.
Check this one out: http://bible.cc/proverbs/22-13.htm
We all have our lazy times alright, but I feel it should be minimised as much as possible

We could spend all day, all year, and all decades thinking and planning something we would like to do
Fastforward......,
and our kids might be hanging around at our funerals seeping liquer and chatting about how dad had this great life-long dream of doing .....

Its really scary taking that first step into something you want to do
Its like a black hole out there
lions walk the streets
the girl might embarass you in front of her friends
You might be scorned
you might fail terribly
the heavens might abandon you sef

But aren't you curious on what lies on the other side of your faltering steps?,
...she might not be yours if you try, but she definitely wont be yours if u dont try

So, you know what my good and soon-to-be-brave friend...
JUST DO IT

Lets take an example ...

1 Like

Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 8:10pm On Dec 11, 2012
83) Izehi's story
*True life story, starring Izehi*

Izehi, had finished university, and was waiting for his NYSC call up
he lived in his dad's expansive compound and had a favourite spot at the back away from the prying hawk eyes of his parents
The spot had some white left-over building sand,and some coconut tree(s),
Izehi would pretend it was a beach. here he took his liquer, entertained his male and female guests,
and did some quick pressings

He sat with his friend Osa at his beach spot one of those days, and they got talking
(Small male children dey like money matter well, well. ..dem think say na im be the secret to poly-polygamy)

....to be continued
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 9:48pm On Dec 12, 2012
84) Building a pond

Osa seeped his beer, and soon began to talk about fish ponds with Izehi
He (Osa) had been nursing the idea of building a fish pond for close to 4 years now
Izehi was interested in the gist and probed Osa for some more information

Izehi asked Osa why he had not started the fish pond yet, Osa explained that the logistics of implementing his plan was tough
Izehi thought about the fishpond all night, carried out a little one week research and decided to take the first step

He didnt have much money, but he knew exactly what to do
he started digging his precious beach spot, one bucket at a time
Osa, saw this and laughed, so did Izehi's family and friends

by the 2nd week, they began to take Izehi serious as the soon to be fish pond began taking shape
Izehi's dad was impressed with his son, and gave him some money which Izehi used in hiring a bricklayer to cement/screed his fishpond

Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 10:38pm On Dec 12, 2012
85) They did it (*dancing to Dora animation jingle*)

Within 2 months of Osa discussing with Izehi about fishponds
Izehi had built his fishpond and populated it with catfish fingerlings

This inspired Osa who had been procrastinating for ages
he started doing the same thing in his dad's house, and just like what happened to Izehi, his dad also contributed to completing it

Now, the kids are out of their dads houses
their parents are enjoying the sales and chopping of catfish, all thanks to Izehi taking the bull by the horn
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 10:51pm On Dec 12, 2012
86) A peek inside Izehi's head

Izehi used web thinking in his resolve to start the pond. Here is how he thought out the entire scenario:

- His dad and mum would be retiring in a couple of years. Why not provide an easy business for them to manage
- Digging the fishpond personally was good exercise, Izehi was getting flabby
- He would like the leisure of sitting in his beach spot and feed his catfishes with his friends around
- The catfish even if not sold could be a source of nourishment to his familly.
- He could even groom catfishes for marriage ceremonies that would happen in his family with time thereby saving family members cost
- He could give out the fishes for free to big men, who might soon like him and give him contracts
- He just might make profit from the fishpond and expand

From the list above, you can see that the only way Izehi could have failed was not taking that first step
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by AjanleKoko: 10:54pm On Dec 12, 2012
^^
Wrong ending. Let's give it the ahem, Nigerian ending wink

Osa is shocked, later bitter and angry. And he does any of the following:

1. Badmouths Izehi everywhere, telling everybody who cares to listen that Izehi stole his idea.
2. Congratulates and encourages Izehi in public, while running down fish farming to every other person around as a shytty venture only embraced by 'lesser' men.
3. Sucks up to Izehi, blackmails Izehi into taking him on as a 'junior' partner. Tries to hijack the entire venture, and will most likely fail, but ensuring that as much of the business is wrecked as possible.

Bottom line, these stories usually end with great beef between Osa and Izehi embarassed
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 11:01pm On Dec 12, 2012
^^^
Ok naw

HOME VIDEO ENDING grin
Osa was upset that Izehi had built in some 3 months what he had planned for years
He asked izehi to pay him for the information he shared
Izehi was upset about this, he suspected that there was something fishy about Osa's request

A bitter quarrel between the families of both guys soon ensued
Osa got his dad who was the head of service to sack Izehi's dad

Now, Izehi goes to church regularly and prays that God should lift his family out of the waters of despair
grin

1 Like

Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by AjanleKoko: 9:34am On Dec 13, 2012
^^

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Now that's more like a 'Naija' ending! grin
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 6:22pm On Dec 19, 2012
89) Money sometimes grows on trees

uhn uhn...... uhn uhn
*nodding head and muttering like pastor chris okotie*

If you've experienced both poverty and riches, especially the rich >> poor cycle, you might relate better with this.
Its all about location, not necessarily the geographic type but positioning

There are some places/roles/positions that have money, it might not be powerful roles, but it is strategic
It might be useful for you to know when you are in such positions/locations and maximize it.
Indeed, this is too big a topic that I don't know where to start from
However, I'll try to pass the message accross using one or two examples
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 6:31pm On Dec 19, 2012
90) The Civil Serveant

If you've worked or had business dealings/contracts with the Nigerian civil service
you must have noticed this

A contractor might haggle on percentages and tips/bribes all through the contract duration
however, once he is handed his cheque in the ministry of Finance, he finds it easy to dole out money at that point of collection
He does this without even being asked. He is also so happy doing it.

You must also have noticed that the folks in the Finance ministries are gentler, better dressed,and richer
Even if its the most junior officer that is in that position of cheque handing over. He most likely might be richer than the directors of other ministries
without even being a bully

O yes,.... I have seen such things

1 Like

Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 6:37pm On Dec 19, 2012
91) Shoprite, dash right

In Shoprite Lagos, there are boys that help you push your trolly to the car when your purchases are much
The tendency would be for you to want to dash them some change

Its little money, but more than any other person in that establishment, they are the ones you feel like dashing money to
Calculate the number of shoppers that would use such trolly services and dash those boys money

You might be surprised to find out that they earn more than you in a month through the dashes
(Even they might not even appreciate this)
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 6:46pm On Dec 19, 2012
91) Companies/Retailers also use this trick

This is how they do it.
You go in and buy a shirt, jacket, shoe, wristwatch etc for some 50 thousand naira
After such a purchase, they sell an accessory such as cufflinks to you for some 3,999 naira
(its true worth might be only 50 naira)

You find it extremely easy to purchase this accesory after spending a hefty sum on the main item
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 6:07pm On Dec 27, 2012
93) Body Languages/Proxemics/Mirroring et al

Studies show that face-face human communication goes beyond just the spoken words
Infact, more that 50% of our communcication are none verbal

In Nigeria, with its strong gesticulating communication style
The knowledge of none verbal communication and verbal cues seem very important

The way you tell someone: "you dey mad" or "your b.reast is gorgeous"
could be the difference between both of you networking over drinks; or being locked in the police cell during the festive season;
or being handed a dirty slap; or tumbling gleefully on the bed

Many books exist attempting to teach people effective body language
I personally prefer watching effective poeple, and then trying to immitate their body languages and verbal cues

1 Like

Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by Tedpgrass: 1:27am On Dec 30, 2012
Informative, well presented.
Thank you very muchly!!
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 1:29am On Dec 30, 2012
Tedpgrass:
Informative, well presented.
Thank you very muchly!!

You're welcome
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by log1(m): 11:22pm On Dec 30, 2012
Weldone erese. You are really doing a great job.
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 12:05pm On Dec 31, 2012
log1: Weldone erese. You are really doing a great job.

Thanks mate
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 12:16pm On Dec 31, 2012
94)Mirroring

Mirroring is when your body language/movement immitates that of someone you are having a conversation with
(ie, just like your reflection in the mirror doing exactly what you are doing)

When a boy and girl dig each other, and are toasting themselves in a bar or restaurant,
as they continue their conversation, a third party might soon begin to observe that both boy and girl are making similar body movements

You can conciously immitate someones body movement, thereby getting the person to be more comfortable with you
These are some of the ways you speed up the networking/friendship dating process
It works for others, it should work for you

As you become an expert in this powerful and persuasive psychological act/process/brikmanship
you will soon see yourself first being able to immitate the other person,
then getting the other person to immitate you without him/her even noticing
(its all very subtle)

Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 12:36pm On Dec 31, 2012
95) Proxemics

This has to do with space between people having a conversation, amd the effect it has on them
From my diagram in post #94)you can see both party trying to reduce the distance between them

The space between you and the person that you are engaging with when managed, can be a very powerful tool
If you've read Obama's books you would see that he has/had a habit of putting his arms around someone when he his talking with them
He even did this to President Bush, when he (Obama) was only a senator without the presidential ambition.

Also notice the body language between presidents of powerful countries and those of less powerful countries when they are together

The way you arrange the sitting/standing arrangement/positions with that person you are meeting for a business deal
could determine the way you stick mentally, and are given that contract

Even the touching of someones head/hair has a lot of impact (not the barbers touch)

You can observe that space has so much power when you observe two folks who just like animals are primed to fight.
Watch their space distance, the flaring of their nostrils, and how when space is evaded they might get violent or subdued

These things are so, so subtle. But with time and practice, they would come naturally to you
Proxemics utility is a useful tool in networking and persuasion
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 5:45pm On Dec 31, 2012
96) Summary Non Verbal Communication/Techniques

Some were born as aloof persons, almost anti-social and more of introverts
However, with better understanding of none verbal communication, they are now better placed to respond to and intiate socially acceptable stimuli

None verbal communication and verbal/oral fluctuations/cues are excellent as leadership and business tools.
It makes you more likeable by the right people, and therefore better placed to land that contract

Mirroring is an excellent skill when you are being interviewed for that Job. It endears you to the panelists
Try using proxemics and mirroring together when toasting that chick.

At first, the practice of these techniques will look awkward, but with time it will become second nature
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by Ishilove: 7:11pm On Dec 31, 2012
*in Joke Silva's voice*. Welldan Esere, you are doing a fantastic job. I have being vaastly educated by this thread of yours.

Wellldan.

grin cheesy
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by Ishilove: 7:14pm On Dec 31, 2012
esere826: 96) Summary Non Verbal Communication/Techniques

Try using proxemics and mirroring together when toasting that chick.

At first, the practice of these techniques will look awkward, but with time it will become second nature
*aloof* If you try to mirror me while you toast me, I shall laugheth you to scorn!
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by youngmega: 12:14am On Jan 01, 2013
Nice thread
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 2:46am On Jan 01, 2013
97) Buy a large mirror to practice none verbal skills

Dont be like the Nigerian president GEJ who found himself in office unprepared, and lacks social and leadership skills
Start watching yourself practice.

You spend money drinking beer and chopping suya.
Please also spend money buying a full length mirror.

You would need this to actually see the outcomes of your practice of none verbal communication skills.
You could also use it in watching/observing your posture, how you walk etc and perfecting them

Believe me when I say, that the mirror will teach you loads of stuff that no one else will teach you
"What does this have to do with creating wealth?" you might ask
An easy and silly reply would be that if you're a girl, you could practice how to have an elegant composure and stride/gait that could attract the platinum ring of a rich bloke
If you're a broke a55 guy, the mirror could teach you how to become a master charmer and an accomplished gold digger (AKA giggolo)

How's that for an answer?
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 2:50am On Jan 01, 2013
Ishilove:
*aloof* If you try to mirror me while you toast me, I shall laugheth you to scorn!

Scorn is the price we all have to pay when learning the ropes
We soon become perfect in mirroring as we practice

1 Like

Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 10:20am On Jan 01, 2013
youngmega: Nice thread
smiley
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by AjanleKoko: 12:51pm On Jan 01, 2013
Ishilove:

You'd be very surprised wink
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 9:32am On Jan 12, 2013
98)" Work Smart" they say, "Not Hard":

^^It has become a cliche, but please permit me to beat the worn out drums once more

As a kid, I was shocked whem my Physics teacher thaught us that no matter the effort applied to moving a fridge
you wont be said to have worked unless the fridge moved a distance i.e

Work = Force X Distance moved by force

In other words, no matter how hard you strain yourself and burn out, and weep, and show muscles; the fridge has to move.
If it doesnt, your efforts might be comendable, but it is definitely not work

Interesting isnt it, especially when compared to our social, economical, and spiritual lifes
...lets do a little bit of reflection before we continue, and I decide in which direction to push this
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 7:24pm On Jan 14, 2013
99) The gap between work and results

I feel it is important that we channel our work to producing results
I have witnessed projects where some team members really work hard, but are not able to get results -no be winch

I have also seen students study hard and flop seriously during exams -no be winch
I have seen folks pray ceaselessly and not getting the result of their prayers (at least not while I was around them) -no be winch.

Why is this?

I remember in my teenage days, I had a friend who did SSCE repeatedly and kept on failing. He was a hard reader.
I once asked him if he had the WAEC sylable, and he said "No"> I told him where to get it from, and he bought it
Armed with the WAEC sylable, and past question papers, he knew where to concentrate his efforts on, and came out pretty well in his exams

In projects, I have seen folks that are not able to connect the end point from where they are
They therefore work hard on th wrong things, getting flustered and upset, especially when their work is not appreciated

Its also same with prayers.
Sometimes, what you need to get your wife pregnant might actually be concentrating on nacking her instead of praying 24/7 about it
Sometimes, what you need to get that girl to date you and marry you might be less prayer and more grooming and sharpening up your toasting skills
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by esere826: 7:39pm On Jan 14, 2013
100) Doing things differently

I think that in everything, we should ensure that our work is actually producing results.
If it is not, it is important we pause for a while and ask ourselves "what can I do differently to get better results?"

I say this with someone in mind. He his crawling in age, but continues to do the same thing over and over again with the same dismall results
He reads motivational books and always tells me not to worry (maybe that's why i hate motivational books and I am cautious with teachings from just any pastor)

Think carefully about these question I am about to ask. My answers to the questions took me out of a pit that I was digging for myself:

-What use would it be to you if you are poor till you are 90 years old, then become rich and die at age 95 years old?
Could it not have been better?
-What use will it be if as a girl, you are single till you are 65 (waiting for the chosen one), then have a child at 70 (after praying for 5 yrs); then die at 80 (probably married to a wife beater)
Could it have been better?

Think very carefully about these questions. Bottom line is, can things be done differently to acheive better results?
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by AjanleKoko: 9:34pm On Jan 14, 2013
^^
Motivational books are good. They get you thinking. But they're not a recipe, a manual to success.
They're meant to change the way you see and act on things around you. Unfortunately, our environment does not equip us to act. We're always looking for a manual/recipe to follow verbatim, and somebody to hold our hand. Must be the British or colonial orientation.

For example, this stuff on this thread. I see many people commending the OP. However, very few people can interpret and use the information sensibly. That's how life is. So they buy a motivational book, and when that doesn't bring millions, they call the writer a fraud. Like Kiyosaki, or some of our motivational-oriented pastors in Nigeria. See how people have made scapegoats out of the likes of Adeboye.
Re: How to Create your Economic Success Out Of Nothing by Ishilove: 9:53pm On Jan 14, 2013
esere826:
-What use would it be to you if you are poor till you are 90 years old, then become rich and die at age 95 years old?
Could it not have been better?
-What use will it be if as a girl, you are single till you are 65 (waiting for the chosen one), then have a child at 70 (after praying for 5 yrs); then die at 80 (probably married to a wife beater)
Could it have been better?

shocked cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Business Can I Set Up For My Elderly Father In The Village? / My Laptop Recently Arrived From China....this Is How I Did It / Fear Of Baba Ijebu: The Beginning Of Financial Wisdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.