Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,996 members, 7,806,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:23 AM

A Difficult Question About Allah - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / A Difficult Question About Allah (6359 Views)

Beautiful Story About Allah's Forgiveness / What Islam Really Teaches About Allah And Jesus / Lets Talk About Allah Or Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Difficult Question About Allah by Cheers01: 8:14pm On Jul 19, 2012
Can Allah create a rock so big that he can not move?

You might say that this is not a difficult question but lets examine the implications of the answers;

-Yes, he can create the rock. But then, he would not be omnipotent because he can not move the rock.
-No, he can not create the rock. But then, he would not be omnipotent because he cant create the rock.
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by LagosShia: 8:34pm On Jul 19, 2012
Cheers01: Can Allah create a rock so big that he can not move?

You might say that this is not a difficult question but lets examine the implications of the answers;

-Yes, he can create the rock. But then, he would not be omnipotent because he can not move the rock.
-No, he can not create the rock. But then, he would not be omnipotent because he cant create the rock.

the created is not greater than the Creator.therefore it is part of God's infinite power and knowledge that He does not create what He cannot control.this is not weakness but strength.

you are looking at it from one point:power.but there is also the issue of will,wisdom and knowledge and all power belongs to God Almighty.so God being omniscient would not even create to start with what would make the created an obstacle to the Creator.that still leaves Him omniscient and omnipotent because there is nothing that would be an obstacle to Him and no one that can even make such a creation since He is the Creator and everything belongs to Him.

so matter how big the rock is,it is subjected to and under God's control.this cannot be seen as lack of power but part of the greatness of God Almighty.
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by Cheers01: 9:47pm On Jul 19, 2012
LagosShia:

the created is not greater than the Creator.therefore it is part of God's infinite power and knowledge that He does not create what He cannot control.this is not weakness but strength.

you are looking at it from one point:power.but there is also the issue of will,wisdom and knowledge and all power belongs to God Almighty.so God being omniscient would not even create to start with what would make the created an obstacle to the Creator.that still leaves Him omniscient and omnipotent because there is nothing that would be an obstacle to Him and no one that can even make such a creation since He is the Creator and everything belongs to Him.

so matter how big the rock is,it is subjected to and under God's control.this cannot be seen as lack of power but part of the greatness of God Almighty.

Good answer. Unfotunately, not good enough.

If an omniscient God could create a Shaitan/shaytan that is an obstacle to his beloved creations (humans), there is nothing stopping from creating an obstacle that is a rock.

Either Allah can create such a rock or he cant.
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by maclatunji: 9:52pm On Jul 19, 2012
Oh dear! Is this boy ok?
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by LagosShia: 11:00pm On Jul 19, 2012
Cheers01:

Good answer. Unfotunately, not good enough.

If an omniscient God could create a Shaitan/shaytan that is an obstacle to his beloved creations (humans), there is nothing stopping from creating an obstacle that is a rock.

Either Allah can create such a rock or he cant.

so how does satan being an "obstacle" to creatures equate with you finding something to be an "obstacle" to God?

satan is no obstacle to God and not even to those who obey God because this is what the Holy Quran says:

Holy Quran 15:42
"My servants – you shall have no authority over any of them, unless it be such as follow you being rebellious (against Me, as you are). "

1 Like

Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by Cheers01: 11:12pm On Jul 19, 2012
LagosShia:

so how does satan being an "obstacle" to creatures equate with you finding something to be an "obstacle" to God?

satan is no obstacle to God and not even to those who obey God because this is what the Holy Quran says:

Holy Quran 15:42
"My servants – you shall have no authority over any of them, unless it be such as follow you being rebellious (against Me, as you are). "

Whatever. Can God make such a rock or not?

As for Surah 15;42, most people in the world (over 66%) do not accept/believe in Allah. Satan must have quite a control. grin
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by LagosShia: 11:18pm On Jul 19, 2012
Cheers01:

Whatever. Can God make such a rock or not?

As for Surah 15;42, most people in the world (over 66%) do not accept/believe in Allah. Satan must have quite a control. grin

ok.me too whatever.
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by Cheers01: 11:20pm On Jul 19, 2012
LagosShia:

ok.me too whatever.

Calm down. No one is attacking you or your religion. I was just asking a philosophical question. Please, ask your muslim friends this question as well grin grin
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by Cheers01: 11:21pm On Jul 19, 2012
maclatunji: Oh dear! Is this boy ok?

Why do you hate me?

angry
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by LagosShia: 11:03am On Jul 20, 2012
Cheers01:

Calm down. No one is attacking you or your religion. I was just asking a philosophical question. Please, ask your muslim friends this question as well grin grin

there is no need to calm down because im not annoyed or angry.you said 'whatever' so i also said 'whatever'.or were you angry with my reply?

your 'philosophical question' is the zenith of stupidity.i know atheists would feel this is a big catch.but it is utterly stupid

let me give you an instance to make it clear for you to understand what i was trying to say:

there is a sprinter who is the fastest man in the entire world with a world time record.an atheist puts a challenge to him.

the atheists asks him to form a fastest or faster time record he cannot break.if he forms the record he cannot break,it means he is not the fastest man in the world.and if he does not form the record he cannot break it means he is not the fastest man in the world.

this is similar to your 'difficult question'.when you understand that you cannot challenge God Almighty, as a small creature in a wide universe then you will believe in His omnipotence.you cannot use His own power to challenge His own power.it doesnt make sense.the best you can do is to 'find' another 'god' that can create a rock so big that He,the Almighty God,cannot move.then you can talk about omnipotence.

1 Like

Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by Cheers01: 7:05pm On Jul 20, 2012
LagosShia:

there is no need to calm down because im not annoyed or angry.you said 'whatever' so i also said 'whatever'.or were you angry with my reply?

your 'philosophical question' is the zenith of stupidity.i know atheists would feel this is a big catch.but it is utterly stupid

let me give you an instance to make it clear for you to understand what i was trying to say:

there is a sprinter who is the fastest man in the entire world with a world time record.an atheist puts a challenge to him.

the atheists asks him to form a fastest or faster time record he cannot break.if he forms the record he cannot break,it means he is not the fastest man in the world.and if he does not form the record he cannot break it means he is not the fastest man in the world.

this is similar to your 'difficult question'.when you understand that you cannot challenge God Almighty, as a small creature in a wide universe then you will believe in His omnipotence.you cannot use His own power to challenge His own power.it doesnt make sense.the best you can do is to 'find' another 'god' that can create a rock so big that He,the Almighty God,cannot move.then you can talk about omnipotence.

What a load of nonsense.

The fastest man in the world is the person with the fastest recorded speed. Simple. If someone else breaks his record, the person becomes the fastest. I dont know what you are talking about.

The problem with religious people is that they do not understand the meaning of "omnipotent"- Ability to do all things.

The problem with omnipotence is that it is not only impossible but a contradiction.

The rock seems not jarring enough for you.

What about this? Can God create a clone of himself who is slightly more powerful?
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by LagosShia: 7:12pm On Jul 20, 2012
Cheers01:

What a load of nonsense.

The fastest man in the world is the person with the fastest recorded speed. Simple. If someone else breaks his record, the person becomes the fastest. I dont know what you are talking about.

The problem with religious people is that they do not understand the meaning of "omnipotent"- Ability to do all things.

The problem with omnipotence is that it is not only impossible but a contradiction.

The rock seems not jarring enough for you.

What about this? Can God create a clone of himself who is slightly more powerful?

it looks like an atheist does not know the meaning of "fastest". grin
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by Cheers01: 8:23pm On Jul 20, 2012
LagosShia:

it looks like an atheist does not know the meaning of "fastest". grin

It looks like LagosShia has been debunked and had nothing to really say

grin grin grin grin

I love debunking religious people grin
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by LagosShia: 9:05pm On Jul 20, 2012
Cheers01:

It looks like LagosShia has been debunked and had nothing to really say

grin grin grin grin

I love debunking religious people grin

how sweet. i love the hypocrisy when atheists have nothing else to say or make sense except by claiming victory for lost battles.
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by Cheers01: 10:49pm On Jul 20, 2012
LagosShia:

how sweet. i love the hypocrisy when atheists have nothing else to say or make sense except by claiming victory for lost battles.

Give up, you have been debunked on omnipotence!
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by LagosShia: 11:01pm On Jul 20, 2012
^

you need not to be crying like a kid.its not a contest.just keep shut that your silly 'philosophical question' has slapped you back in the face.
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by Cheers01: 11:35pm On Jul 20, 2012
Why do you, Maclatunji and Tbaba refer to me as a kid?

It's quite emasculating embarassed embarassed

Is it some muslim power trip or something? I have a beard, you know? grin grin

BTW; please, ask your pals this question
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by LagosShia: 11:38pm On Jul 20, 2012
^

you behave like a school boy.
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by Cheers01: 12:12am On Jul 21, 2012
LagosShia: ^

you behave like a school boy.

lolololol.....
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by vedaxcool(m): 9:01am On Jul 21, 2012
It is beneath Allah's majesty to carry a rock!

Lagosshia what have u been teaching ur willing learner? grin grin
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by Nobody: 10:49am On Jul 21, 2012
This topic wasn't deleted?
Anyway my opinion: Religion thrives largely on faith not logic so it would not be right to apply logic alone when answering a question like this.
According to religion, omnipotence is something that can only be applied to a Creator that lives in a realm that is greater than the earthly realm. As a result of this, the explanation of omnipotence or the definition of omnipotence would be different/much greater in the realm in which the Creator lives.
Understanding what omnipotence truly means is likely to be limited to those of us in a world in which intellectual processes are limited and not as great as what is taught by religions, to exist in the higher realms.
So my opinion is that we can only grasp part of the real meaning of omnipotence since we live in a world where it is not possible.
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by LagosShia: 11:25am On Jul 21, 2012
"I wonder at the man who observes the Universe created by Allah and doubts His Being and Existence".

-Imam Ali (as) (Nahjul-Balagha)
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by LagosShia: 11:32am On Jul 21, 2012
vedaxcool: It is beneath Allah's majesty to carry a rock!

he did not say "carry".he said "move".you probably mis-read.

addition and subtraction.
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by vedaxcool(m): 12:31pm On Jul 21, 2012
LagosShia:

he did not say "carry".he said "move".you probably mis-read.

Now are u aiding your willing learner? Ok Move right? It is beneath Allah to move a rock! Period! When your willing learner asked such a question he made such a remark based on his illogical definition
Of who Allah is, to begin to narrow Allah capability within physical laws we operate in is very unintelligent indeed as Allah creates from nothing . . . So whether move or carry, the most sensible approach to such a question was to ask how is he -ur willing learner assuming the rock was going to move? We should not entertain questions like this because it is beneath Allah to move a rock! Q.E.D cheesy

LagosShia:
addition and subtraction.

No wonder, you can bear witness to the results of your hand work lol grin grin
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by Cheers01: 12:50pm On Jul 21, 2012
fellis: This topic wasn't deleted?
Anyway my opinion: Religion thrives largely on faith not logic so it would not be right to apply logic alone when answering a question like this.
According to religion, omnipotence is something that can only be applied to a Creator that lives in a realm that is greater than the earthly realm. As a result of this, the explanation of omnipotence or the definition of omnipotence would be different/much greater in the realm in which the Creator lives.
Understanding what omnipotence truly means is likely to be limited to those of us in a world in which intellectual processes are limited and not as great as what is taught by religions, to exist in the higher realms.
So my opinion is that we can only grasp part of the real meaning of omnipotence since we live in a world where it is not possible.

Ah Fellis! Great answer.

You sound like a skeptic. grin grin grin grin
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by Cheers01: 12:51pm On Jul 21, 2012
vedaxcool: It is beneath Allah's majesty to carry a rock!

Why is it beneath his majesty? Was creating Shaytan not supposed to be a majestic thing?
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by LagosShia: 12:59pm On Jul 21, 2012
vedaxcool:

Now are u aiding your willing learner? Ok Move right? It is beneath Allah to move a rock! Period! When your willing learner asked such a question he made such a remark based on his illogical definition
Of who Allah is, to begin to narrow Allah capability within physical laws we operate in is very unintelligent indeed as Allah creates from nothing . . . So whether move or carry, the most sensible approach to such a question was to ask how is he -ur willing learner assuming the rock was going to move? We should not entertain questions like this because it is beneath Allah to move a rock! Q.E.D cheesy

No wonder, you can bear witness to the results of your hand work lol grin grin

he obviously does not understand who or what Allah (swt) is.so for you to convince him,you have to go down to his level.you cannot bring him up to your own level when he doesn't even believe there is any god to start with.how would you expect him to understand what a Muslim believes about Allah (swt)?

you should exercise patience and go down to his level to help him reason and understand.otherwise he will not follow your own understanding or ideas just like that.i have been ignoring him when he makes nonsensical posts.but when he seem willing to learn and listen engage him.
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by Cheers01: 1:13pm On Jul 21, 2012
@Vedaxcool and LagosShia,

both of you should look at Fellis's answer and see how to answer a question rather than bash the Op.

As for Allah and the moving/carrying a rock being beyond him, you people are joking. What was the purpose of God creating hell/shaytan/demons/djinn?
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by LagosShia: 1:35pm On Jul 21, 2012
Cheers01: @Vedaxcool and LagosShia,

both of you should look at Fellis's answer and see how to answer a question rather than bash the Op.

As for Allah and the moving/carrying a rock being beyond him, you people are joking. What was the purpose of God creating hell/shaytan/demons/djinn?

abeg,do not group me or address me with Vedaxcool or hold be accountable for what he said.
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by LagosShia: 1:37pm On Jul 21, 2012
fellis: This topic wasn't deleted?

the concept of faith without logic or rational is aimed at making religion and God look senseless,aimless and irrational.based on Shia Islam,that is therefore a wrong concept.in Shia Islam,the intellect is one of the five basis for drawing laws in the sharia or in Islamic jurisprudence.there is nothing that God made or said that cannot be rationalized or found to be true and logical.you need to reconsider your words.
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by Cheers01: 1:55pm On Jul 21, 2012
LagosShia:

the concept of faith without logic or rational is aimed at making religion and God look senseless,aimless and irrational.based on Shia Islam,that is therefore a wrong concept.in Shia Islam,the intellect is one of the five basis for drawing laws in the sharia or in Islamic jurisprudence.there is nothing that God made or said that cannot be rationalized or found to be true and logical.you need to reconsider your words.

What is rational about allowing the devil to murder Jobs (Ayuub) children to test his faith? Should Allah test your faith by killing your family?

Logic and faith are 2 very different things
Re: A Difficult Question About Allah by LagosShia: 2:09pm On Jul 21, 2012
Cheers01:

What is rational about allowing the devil to murder Jobs (Ayuub) children to test his faith? Should Allah test your faith by killing your family?

Logic and faith are 2 very different things

they are different things.but faith must be based on reason.

please where did you find it written that Ayyub (as) got all his children killed by the "devil" to test his faith? and can trial be based on reason or not?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Deviated Shi’ah & Ashoora – 10th Muharram / Importance And Significance Of Tara'weeh During Ramadan / Don't Forget To Give Your Zakaat Fitri Before Eid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.