Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,495 members, 7,801,290 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:23 PM

What Did Our Parents Do Better And Differently? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Did Our Parents Do Better And Differently? (747 Views)

What Parents Do That Make Their Daughters Sex-starved! / Pic Below: Name Something Women Do Better Than Men / Did Our Fore-fathers Pay Such High Bride Price That We Are Forced To Pay Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Did Our Parents Do Better And Differently? by childluck(m): 5:02am On Jul 20, 2012
Looking at the ever increasing number of marital issues, relationship issues, divorce cases today, I'm deeply bothered to ask "what is wrong with this generation ?" It is a general fact that the days of our parents were better in this line. What is your opinion on this and what are we not jusyt doing right? Good morning.
Re: What Did Our Parents Do Better And Differently? by RuuDie(m): 7:55am On Jul 20, 2012
They stayed together. . .even when it was wiser to have split!

2 Likes

Re: What Did Our Parents Do Better And Differently? by slimyem: 8:09am On Jul 20, 2012
RuuDie: They stayed together. . .even when it was wiser to have split!
+100
Today's people do not have the kinda enduring spirit our parents have.
We can't swallow the kinda crap our parents swallowed..
We have option and we do not hesistate to browse them as soon as the situation becomes a little uncomfortable.
Blame it on 21st century and the digital age!cheesycheesy
Re: What Did Our Parents Do Better And Differently? by Tedpgrass: 1:15am On Jul 21, 2012
Multifaceted...

-The pressures of modern life
-Lack of good quality mentors
-Lack of credible moral institutions
-Lack of commitment, forbearance
-Misinterpretation of financial well-being as a reason for lack of submission on the part of women
-Hazy or poorly defined boundaries esp materialistic attitudes, living off a woman or inadequately providing for her and the family, no moral codes

List goes on......

Re: What Did Our Parents Do Better And Differently? by Mynd44: 6:04am On Jul 21, 2012
Our fathers left the nagging to the women and faced more devious things like providing all forms of security
Re: What Did Our Parents Do Better And Differently? by IZUKWU(m): 6:43am On Jul 21, 2012
Mynd_44: Our fathers left the nagging to the women and faced more devious things like providing all forms of security
grin
Mynd_44: Our fathers left the nagging to the women and faced more devious things like providing all forms of security
:/
Re: What Did Our Parents Do Better And Differently? by horny4u(f): 6:51am On Jul 21, 2012

Gbam!!!

The moment you empower your daughter with education without telling your son that women should be respected and treated as an equal friend even though men and women are different but some men treat their male colleagues with more respect than their wives....but because of material provisions the women stayed.

Also since contraceptive became popular women have a choice in choosing to have kids or wait.

So contraception, more financial power, yet old cultural bad habits.

1 Like

Re: What Did Our Parents Do Better And Differently? by Nobody: 7:01am On Jul 21, 2012

slimyem: +100
Today's people do not have the kinda enduring spirit our parents have.
We can't swallow the kinda crap our parents swallowed..
We have option and we do not hesistate to browse them as soon as the situation becomes a little uncomfortable.
Blame it on 21st century and the digital age!cheesycheesy

That isn't necessarily/always a good trait. I'm sure a lot of us have mothers or grandmothers who were victims of various kinds of abuse. Atrocities happened in our parents' and grandparents' days, similar to today. However, there was lack of exposure (social media) and a greater fear of the "s" word. Shame.

I wonder how many parents would tell their daughters to stay in an abusive relationship as it will benefit her in the long run (if ever). I know for a fact that my grandmother would never wish that on my mother or me and wouldn't advise either of us to endure it.

I doubt that many of our parents would have remained together if they were in the current age. Remember that they were deemed "too loose" by their parents' generations.
Re: What Did Our Parents Do Better And Differently? by cindyrella(f): 7:09am On Jul 21, 2012
grin grin grin grin
Re: What Did Our Parents Do Better And Differently? by Nnekacherry: 9:12am On Jul 21, 2012
They believed in for better for worse and the fear of what people will say about them if they dare to leave their matrimonial home, kept them in an abusive marriage..
Re: What Did Our Parents Do Better And Differently? by angiemartinez(f): 11:14am On Jul 21, 2012
our parents were not materialistic, and their primary goal was to keep d family. But nowadays we are way too busy chasing a married man dat can buy blackbery or rent an apartment or buy brazilian hair 4 us. We are nt even botherd abt how we can raise gud families any more. We nw rub shoulders wit our husbands cos we earn higher than them. We now want them to do the cookn aswell all in the name of civilizatn. So sad

1 Like

Re: What Did Our Parents Do Better And Differently? by LewsTherin: 2:53pm On Jul 24, 2012
It was an understanding tht marriage was a life long journey. It was an understanding of the roles both sexes had to play in order to make it in one piece. It was an understanding that running away solves no problems. It was an understanding that the man's strength came from his leading the home. It was an understanding that a woman's strength was in taking care of the details the leader never and cannot see. It was a willingness to do whatever was necessary to keep the home out of shame.

There were definitely bad cases, abusive cases. But compare the statistics with our enligtened-won't-take-snot-from-anyone-it's-nobody's-business-I-must-follow-my-heart-my-needs-must-be-met-by-hook-or-crook-walk-away-when-the-going-gets-tough concept of what marriage and family means.
Re: What Did Our Parents Do Better And Differently? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jul 24, 2012
IMHO, the comparism is flawed considering the different settings.
If they were exposed to what we were opportuned to, don't you think that might have behaved differently?
The present time came with it's own disadvantages, just like their lack of it then has it's own disadvantages..

(1) (Reply)

17 Most Important Things To Remember In Life* / Which One Do U Think Would Be More Painful To Lose / Is She Suppose To Condone Cheating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.