Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,894 members, 7,806,610 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:00 PM

Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded (13681 Views)

Designing A Home Theater Cinema On A Budget / Picture Of Colorado Movie Theater Shooters And Court Update / After Colorado Shooting,families Hear The Worst Possible News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by greaterlove(m): 3:40pm On Jul 20, 2012
what motive will a man have to take another's life in this manner or any other manner? may the victims rest in peace and may God grant the victims families and friends not just in colarado but all over the world were unnecessary killings are going on the grace to bear the loss.
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 20, 2012
It is a sad day in Aurora, Colorado. I sympathize with the families of the deceased. RIP! cry cry cry
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by london2lasgidi(m): 3:43pm On Jul 20, 2012
milehigh06:
dumb ignorant deluded fools like you will come and show how stupid you are.stay 5 mins(hiway drive) away from the place,know 2 people who got shot,most happened to be kids and fools like you will only see what america has done and has not done.

aye, stop crying to me.
if I get killed tomorrow where I live and people don't feel sorry for me, cos of the atrocities committed by authorities I live under, I'll understand their plights.
we are all humans. syrians,iraqis,afghans,somalis,palestinians,americans,britons etc.
there's no super race.
two people got shot,iraqis lost millions.
i don't feel sorry for dead people, sorry.
once u're dead, u become stats.
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by honeric01(m): 3:47pm On Jul 20, 2012
Another rambo in the making..
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by mekaboy(m): 4:00pm On Jul 20, 2012
WHY ISNT ANYONE BLAMING OBAMA ? IF NA NAIJA NOW, THEY WILL BLAME GEJ . grin grin grin
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by Siga: 4:10pm On Jul 20, 2012
london2lasgidi:

aye, stop crying to me.
if I get killed tomorrow where I live and people don't feel sorry for me, cos of the atrocities committed by authorities I live under, I'll understand their plights.
we are all humans. syrians,iraqis,afghans,somalis,palestinians,americans,britons etc.
there's no super race.
two people got shot,iraqis lost millions.
i don't feel sorry for dead people, sorry.
once u're dead, u become stats.
...o boy...u need relax and stop showing off ur ignorance....u are looking more and more like an id10t ooo...u need to keep it on the downlow...
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by mrkels(m): 4:17pm On Jul 20, 2012
Why am I not suprised...there was a movie that came out last month in the US with exactly the same EMO...this guys watch that film and decided to make it real...what's the title again self? Something America...ok ''GOD BLESS AMERICA'''
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by SisiKill1: 4:18pm On Jul 20, 2012
Just read that the gun man was wearing Bane's mask (for those who don't know, Bane is the bad guy Batman battles in TDNR) and it all makes sense.

Seriously after their violent outrage over one bad review of the movie, it's not surprising one of them goes on a shooting spree. Those Batman fan boys are batshit crazy I tells ya.
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by mrkels(m): 4:20pm On Jul 20, 2012
honeric01: Another rambo in the marking..
I think the right word is ''making'' grin
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jul 20, 2012
joanana: UPDATE ON COLORADO MOVIE THEATER SHOOTING
The shooter's name is James Holmes, He wore a gas mask and threw a smoke bomb n started shooting . He used a rifle, two shotguns and AK 47 ...... embarassed embarassed embarassed

Damn... This guy na actor o...
Seriously though, I think there's something strange about Colorado,there's been the Columbine shootings in '99 killing 15,The Newlife Shootings in 2007,now this.

The shooters were all young white males.
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by Siga: 4:23pm On Jul 20, 2012
mrkels:
I think the write word is making grin
...lol...u mean the "right" word ...caught u grin
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by honeric01(m): 4:24pm On Jul 20, 2012
mrkels:
I think the write word is making grin

Sorry, lack of concentration..
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by nbltech(m): 4:26pm On Jul 20, 2012
May their souls RIP
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by mrkels(m): 4:33pm On Jul 20, 2012
Siga: ...lol...u mean the "right" word ...caught u grin
according to my guy, na lack of concerntration grin
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jul 20, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]
london2lasgidi:

Do the millions of innocent people whom have lost their lives to the other side America's wickedness deserve to die?
I pity your stupid life, dumbo.
I don't give a toot about damn dead bodies.
What do you expect me to do? Cry? You must be out of your darn cotton picking mind.
Turn to Jesus and go wake them up then. undecided

i shall not stoop as low as you and resort to name calling. It only shows how naive, mannerless, crude and callous you are. However i want to enlighten you on the fact that; two wrongs dont make a right. That is 1. 2nd if you dont have anything good to say, shut up! That's 2. 3rd just because America kills doesn't make innocent Americans justified to die. I know you are a silly urchin so i shall not step into the gutter of mannerless and showcase of ill upbringing banter with you. We know our mates on NL
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by tunnamaniah(m): 4:57pm On Jul 20, 2012
Dis na sad news, may their soul rest in peace
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by seedord247(m): 4:57pm On Jul 20, 2012
So many killings happen here in america. The killing in new orleans alone can be used to measure boko haram bombings. grin

1 Like

Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jul 20, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]
Builder: Hard to feel sorry or have sympathy for this americans, they have slaughtered kids, women all around the world... from south america to middle east to africa. Chicken coming home to roost i wld say.... if ony the shooter can just wipe out the congress or house of reps like timothy mcveil did.

two wrongs don't make a right. No innocent person deserves to die for the actions of another. example; someone comes and kills a brother of yours because your father kiled his father you'll tell the person he is justified, innit?
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by honeric01(m): 5:14pm On Jul 20, 2012
Siga: ...lol...u mean the "right" word ...caught u grin

LOL
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by dedeike: 5:21pm On Jul 20, 2012
So this kind thing fit happen for US? I thought its only in Nigeria.So there's a "Retardeen" in America too? So the gun show that Boko Haram exhibited in Yobe could be replicated in a more exclusive place like cinema? What happened to their intelligence unit? Where did the police go? Abi they no get SSS?

When i say that suicide killing is a peculiar challenge to any nation, many accuse us for making excuses for GEJ's" weakness".
But the truth remains that it can happen to any people. And theres little or nothing you can do about it.

There are no boundaries to terrorism and acts of terrorism. Yesterday, we saw it happen in Bulgarian shores against tourists. Today, we have seen it manifest in Colorado, US.
Rather than condemn and blame OBAMA for this disaster, Americans would rather prefer to condemn the attackers. They would not seek to score cheap political points on this senseless killing.
They respect the sanctity of human lives and wouldn't want to glorify the perpetrators of this evil by shifting blames to the president or govt.

Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by joanana(f): 5:33pm On Jul 20, 2012
UPDATE: MASSACRE IN COLORADO MOVIE THEATER

(CNN) -- [/b]A heavily armed gunman attacked an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater early Friday, tossing tear gas before opening fire on the terrified audience and killing 12 and wounding 38, authorities said. The theater was showing the new Batman movie, "The Dark Knight Rises."

[b]One of the injured was just 3 months old, hospital workers said.

The shooting unfolded inside a darkened theater packed with Batman fans, some in costume for the movie's premiere. Screaming, panicked moviegoers scrambled to escape from the black-clad gunman, who wore a gas mask and randomly shot as he walked up the theater's steps, witnesses said.

Police officers swarming to the theater encountered bloody, groaning victims streaming out of the theater. Others remained inside, many with gruesome injuries, according to recordings of emergency calls with dispatchers.

Victims flooded overwhelmed hospitals.

"I don't know how else to explain it, it's horrific," said Tracy Lauzon, director of EMS and trauma services at Aurora Medical Center.

The shooter was identified by two federal law enforcement officers as James Holmes, 24, of Aurora. He had at least four guns -- an "AK type" rifle, a shotgun and two handguns, a federal law enforcement official told CNN. The official also said the shooter used tear gas.

After the suspect told police there was a bomb at his apartment, officers went there and found a "very sophisticated" booby trap inside, Aurora police Chief Dan Oates told reporters.

Shooting turns movie into surreal horror: 'This is real'

Police arrested the man shortly after the shooting ended in a rear parking lot of the theater, Frank Fania, a police spokesman, told CNN.

"He did not resist. He did not put up a fight," Fania said. Police seized a rifle and a handgun from the suspect, and another gun was found in the theater, he said. It was unclear where law enforcement found a second handgun.

The suspect was tentatively scheduled to appear in a Colorado courtroom on Monday, although no formal charges have been filed, according to the Colorado Office of the State Court Administrator.
Witness: He pointed gun at my face
Witness: Little girl wasn't moving
Witness sees shots through theater wall
Police describe Batman shooting scene

Oates said there was no evidence of a second gunman, and FBI spokesman Jason Pack said it did not appear the incident was related to terrorism.

Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper issued a statement saying the shooting was "not only an act of extreme violence, it is also an act of depravity."

"It is beyond the power of words to fully express our sorrow this morning," he said.

'Bullet holes' everywhere: Victim accounts detailed

President Barack Obama canceled campaign events Friday, telling supporters at what had been scheduled as a rally in Forty Myers, Florida, that "there will be other days for politics."

"This will be a day for prayer and reflection," he said, calling for the country to unite as one and support the victims.

"Such violence, such evil is senseless. It is beyond reason," he said before ending the event to return to Washington.

Chaos broke out during the showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" at the Century Aurora 16 theater when the shooting began, police and witnesses said.

The gunman went to the rear door of the theater and propped it open, then tossed a canister before starting to shoot, according to a federal law enforcement source involved in the investigation.

A federal law enforcement official told CNN the man used tear gas.

One moviegoer, who was not identified, told KUSA the gunman was wearing a gas mask.

Some people in the audience thought the thick smoke and gunfire were a special effect accompanying the movie, police and witnesses said.

The smoke smelled like a Fourth of July firework, said CNN iReporter Adam Witt. It took a few gunshots before he figured out what was going on.

iReporter witness: 'We have to run'

"I hit the floor and hid behind the seats in front of me, pulling my wife down to hide with me," Witt said. "It was the longest minute of my life. The gunshots just kept coming. I knew it could be over any second. I knew my wife could be gone any second. It was absolutely surreal. I felt something hit my left arm, and my first thought was, 'At least it's just my arm.'"

"There were so many people running," he said. "I didn't look back. I just remember getting up from the floor and shouting, 'We have to run.'"

Witt said he held his wife's hand as they rushed out of the theater.

"There was a moment where I lost her hand, but I grabbed her shirt," he said. "We didn't let go of each other."

Quentin Caldwell, who was attending a screening in the adjacent theater, said he wasn't sure at first what was going on, despite hearing a "pop, pop, pop, pop" sound.

"We really didn't know something was happening until someone came from the left entrance and said we should not go outside because somebody with a gun was out there," he said.

Armed guards appeared at the theater exit and demanded audience members raise their arms to ensure they were not carrying weapons, then told them to run, Caldwell said.

"Outside was chaos. There was wounded everywhere," he said.

Cell phone video taken by someone at the theater showed scores of people screaming and fleeing the building. Some had blood on their clothes.

A police officer carried a girl believed to be about 9 with gunshot wounds to her back out of the theater, a witness said. "She wasn't moving."

Officers rushed many of the wounded to hospitals in their patrol cars.

Authorities also evacuated the suspect's Aurora apartment building after he made a statement about explosives in his unit, Oates said.

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents went to his home to search for explosives, agency spokesman Tom Mangan said.

Law enforcement officers who searched the suspect's apartment found "items of interest," a federal law enforcement source involved in the investigation told HLN. He did not elaborate.

A woman who lives across the street from where the suspect is believed to live said police evacuated her building around 4 a.m.

"They told us there was a bomb or bomb material located in the house across the street from us." Rebecca Bradshaw said.

In addition to looking into the possibility of explosives, ATF agents also are conducting emergency traces on the weapons to see how they were obtained, Mangan said.

Authorities also searched the suspect's car in the parking lot of the movie theater.

KWGN: Witnesses first thought gunfire was part of movie

Police initially said 14 people had died -- 10 in the theater and four at area hospitals -- but revised the death toll to 12 later Friday morning, according to Aurora Police Lt. Jad Lanigan.

Several people remained in critical condition at area hospitals.

Of the wounded, at least 20 were being treated at the University of Colorado Hospital, said spokeswoman Jacque Montgomery. All of the wounded suffered from gunshot wounds, which ranged from minor to critical, she said.

"They're arriving by police, by ambulance. Some are walking in," she said.

The victims being treated there ranged in age from 3 months to 45, the hospital said.

Denver Health Center had six patients from the shooting, one in critical condition and five in fair condition, said Shelly Davis, house supervisor.

Swedish Health Center spokeswoman Nicole Williams said her hospital was treating three people, two of them in critical condition and one in fair condition. A fourth patient with minor injuries was treated and released, she said.

Parker Adventist Hospital was treating two people for minor injuries, according to a spokeswoman.

Hundreds of police officers descended on the theater, and the FBI has joined the investigation.

Opinion: Gun control won't stop mass murder

"We were calling for help from every police and fire agency," Fania said.

Warner Bros., the studio behind the movie, said the company and filmmakers were "deeply saddened" to learn of the incident. The studio canceled the movie's Paris premiere, while New York police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said his officers would watch over screenings of "The Dark Knight" to prevent copycat shootings.

In addition to canceling his Florida campaign appearances, Obama pulled some advertising in Colorado.

Presumptive GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney also pulled advertising and issued a statement, saying he and his wife Anne were "deeply saddened by the news of the senseless violence."

The movie theater where the shooting took place has not been the site of any security incidents, said Timothy Warner, CEO of Cinemark Theaters, which owns the complex.

"You know, obviously you know, the person made a well-organized ... and had an assault weapon that would probably overpower any security that we would've had," he said. "I mean, this is obviously a very deranged gunman that had access to very high powerful weapons."

Aurora, a Denver suburb, is about 13 miles from Littleton, Colorado -- site of the April 1999 Columbine High School massacre.

In that incident, two teenage students, Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris, armed themselves with guns and bombs and opened fire inside the high school. They killed 13 people and wounded 23 others before killing themselves.
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/20/us/colorado-theater-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by devigblegble: 5:50pm On Jul 20, 2012
emmysenior: Obama once said that bokoharam insurgency is as a result of poor infrastructure and poverty plus corruption, in this case, what could possibly be the root cause of this?
too much drug abuse
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by dasparrow: 5:59pm On Jul 20, 2012
milehigh06:
dumb ignorant deluded fools like you will come and show how stupid you are.stay 5 mins(hiway drive) away from the place,know 2 people who got shot,most happened to be kids and fools like you will only see what america has done and has not done.

Its funny how you go on a tantrum insulting another Nigerian all because of amerikkka. Why are you not on an american online forum since you are oh so passionate about them? Funny thing is, I remember when the Dana air crash happened, many americans made dispicable, insensitive and condescending remarks about Nigeria and her citizens on the yahoo comment section.

It is very pathethic when I see Nigerians like you who will go all out to defend americans and their country. How many americans (white and black of non Nigerian descent) will go as far as insulting a fellow american citizen on an american online forum to defend Nigeria and/or Nigerians? How many?

I have always known that most Nigerians are daft and that is why they will defend and support people from far away lands over their own fellow compatriots. A people who by the way don't give a damn about you, your fellow compatriots or your country. Nigerians have no sense of patriotism at all. This is why I have respect for Ghanians, a patriotic people unlike our people.

I wonder why we still have a country called Nigeria where most of her citizens are selll outs who will worship the western world with all their hearts and soul while the western world views and treats her citizens like crap and keeps them in abject poverty through their carefully thought out IMF and world bank policies.

@Post

What happened is nothing new. It is a very common occurence in the United States. You will see a lunatic wake up one morning and go to his high school and gun down teachers and students. Some lunatics will go to universities and gun down professors and students. Often times, public places are where these type of tragic occurences occur the most. There are many psychos running free on the streets of america and all that is needed for a tragedy of this magnitude to occur is for a riffle to get into the hands of the wrong person. Oh well!
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by femliany(m): 6:02pm On Jul 20, 2012
Boko haram claim responsibility for this tooo
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by Revolva(m): 6:03pm On Jul 20, 2012
You see americas problem gunfire by youth , innocent lives gone that's is mainly carried out by white americans ,

Micheal moore said it in his best seller -the stupid white man -

" The problem of this world is caused by the white man "

Shame white america
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by afrikanns: 6:20pm On Jul 20, 2012
[quote author=london2lasgidi]Is this the democracy American is exporting to people?
God bless the dead but America has killed too many people in foreign countries to have empathy on those people. sad
God will be with them but I won't be checking the updates. undecidedReapin what i sowed more than this to happen till whole of US sink.
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by afrikanns: 6:23pm On Jul 20, 2012
london2lasgidi: Is this the democracy American is exporting to people?
God bless the dead but America has killed too many people in foreign countries to have empathy on those people. sad
God will be with them but I won't be checking the updates. undecided
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by Hardballer(m): 6:29pm On Jul 20, 2012
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by gbadexy(m): 6:35pm On Jul 20, 2012
http:/m.yahoo.com/w/ygo-frontpage/lp/story/us/2435517/coke.bp%3B_ylt=A2KL8yzjkglQ.T0AIycp89w4%3B_ylu=X3oDMTFzOWQ5OGI5BGNwb3MDMQRjc2VjA21vYmlsZS10ZARpbnRsA3VzBHBrZwNpZC0yNDM1NTE3BHBvcwMyBHNsawN0aXRsZQ--?ref_w=frontdoors&view=today&.tsrc=yahoo&.intl=us&.lang=en

The shooter copied the villain in the movie and had on exactly the combat gear won in the movie. He even placed a bomb in the theater to copy what the villain did in the batman movie.
We have the cause of the shooting; excessive action movies.
Someone please help me put the correct command bpin front of the link.
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by Reference(m): 6:52pm On Jul 20, 2012
emmysenior: Obama once said that bokoharam insurgency is as a result of poor infrastructure and poverty plus corruption, in this case, what could possibly be the root cause of this?

World class infrastructure that enables people acquire hefty firepower, too much wealth that leads to boredom and too much honesty that evades soul searching.

Extremes are bad.
Re: Colorado Theater Shooting: 14 dead, 50 Wounded by joanana(f): 7:07pm On Jul 20, 2012
UPDATE ON SHOOTING

According to the police chief on CNN now!, James Holmes motive is unknown and that he acted alone. Also, the police chief confirmed that it is 12 dead and 71 people shot.It happen around 39 mins past midnight

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Saheed Balogun Battered Me - Funke Adesiyan (ex Lover) / Amazing Before-and-after VFX Shots From Your Favorite Movies / Nigeria Got Talent.. Bad Judges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.