Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,705 members, 7,805,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:09 AM

CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System (4401 Views)

Forex Curbs: CBN Moves To Ease Importers' Plight / CBN Moves To Return ETB To Adenuga / CBN Moves For Full Disclosure Of Banks' Interest Rates, Charges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by mukina2: 12:38pm On Jul 20, 2012
Determined to instill confidence in the Nigerian payment system, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) is currently collaborating with the Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC) to provide insurance cover for the mobile payments in the country.

Consequently, in the event of any unforeseen circumstances during transit by the operators, the customers’ interests will be protected so as to realise the full value for their money.

Samson Olusola, assistant director, CBN, who represented, Titus Oladipupo Fatokun, director, banking and payment department, made the disclosure at the ongoing seminar for financial journalists in Akure yesterday.

“CBN is collaborating with NDIC to provide insurance cover for mobile payments. You know the money belongs to the customers and it is that money we want to protect, so that when anything happens along the line, customers’ money will be safe,” Fatokun said.

He acknowledged the challenges currently being encountered by customers, adding that it will take some time for the impact of the CBN appointed operators to be felt.

“CBN had given commercial licence to 15 mobile payments schemes operators to launch mobile payments services in Nigeria under bank- led, bank-focused and non- bank-led models.

Preparatory to the full implementation of the initiative, the bank had earlier approved the regulatory framework for mobile payments services in Nigeria which addresses technology security, operational and customer protection issues,” Fatokun said in his paper titled, ‘Cash-less policy as a vehicle to achieve financial inclusion’.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/banking-a-finance/41513-cbn-moves-to-enhance-mobile-payment-system
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by hammedkola(m): 3:14pm On Jul 20, 2012
This will be nice, but i will only use it if all network operators' signal is available in my village... grin grin
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by ebamma(m): 3:17pm On Jul 20, 2012
we dont even trust the atms in banks,why does the cbn think we will trust our phones in making payments

1 Like

Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by a1solution: 3:21pm On Jul 20, 2012
Nigeria is moving forward, the only drawback is electricity which would be a thing of the past soon!

1 Like

Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by mrperfect(m): 3:27pm On Jul 20, 2012
I think is a welcome development if NDIC will speed up their service, not taken half decade to process a request.
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by Abyjah: 3:30pm On Jul 20, 2012
Time to acquire some madt hacking/phreaking skills!
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by sylve11: 3:38pm On Jul 20, 2012
After 100,000,000 people are done with it without complains, then i will give it a try. cool
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by otokx(m): 3:40pm On Jul 20, 2012
Most banks are having issues with their network and ATMs, why do we keep deceiving ourselves in this country?
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by Ogbodavies(m): 3:45pm On Jul 20, 2012
No comment now.
straight 2 fast food joint cool
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by Michky: 3:46pm On Jul 20, 2012
mrperfect: I think is a welcome development if NDIC will speed up their service, not taken half decade to process a request.
Thank God. Some1 finally spoke my mind. Imagine losing your 3month salary in a mobile payment transaction and geting a refund after 5years. Come today, come tomorrow.
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by inspirenet: 3:48pm On Jul 20, 2012
otokx: Most banks are having issues with their network and ATMs, why do we keep deceiving ourselves in this country?

undecided
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jul 20, 2012
Bullshit
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by edlion57(m): 4:31pm On Jul 20, 2012
sylve11: After 100,000,000 people are done with it without complains, then i will give it a try. cool
i will be the second person after u grin
sylve11: After 100,000,000 people are done with it without complains, then i will give it a try. cool
i will be the second person after u
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by emsquare(m): 5:53pm On Jul 20, 2012
a1solution: Nigeria is moving forward, the only drawback is electricity which would be a thing of the past soon!

Hopefully!
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by francis247(m): 6:41pm On Jul 20, 2012
a1solution: Nigeria is moving forward, the only drawback is electricity which would be a thing of the past soon!
In your dreams.
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by nedostic: 7:16pm On Jul 20, 2012
I believe this a quantum leap by CBN and NDIC and its the right step in the right direction because consumer protection holds the ace to the success of any mobile banking(money) ecosystem.

I am sure mobile money has come to stay in Nigeria. I am convinced that Nigerians would benefit from mobile money platforms if the regulators,policy makers, MMOs,banks,MNOs, and other stakeholders collaborate more in the area of risk management,interoperability,public enlightenment,financial/IT literacy, and incentivisation of agent networks.

Nigeria is a huge market for mobile banking considering the fact that about 46.3% if not more Nigerians are financially excluded. M-PESA, the foremost mobile money platform ,is purely an African innovation,if Kenya can get it right in mobile banking;nothing stops Nigeria from getting it right given that our country has the biggest mobile market in Africa.

Mobile banking is the way forward for financial inclusion,digital,and social inclusion for the critical mass of the Nigerian populace who are mainly in the rural areas.

Mobile money(banking) adoption rate might be slow now but it would definitely succeed with time. It presents a huge commercial profits for not only the mobile money ecosystem players but also a veritable tool for economic growth in the country considering the network effect of mobile money.

1 Like

Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by manny4life(m): 7:34pm On Jul 20, 2012
Talk about running before you can even crawl, embarassed embarassed embarassed

In as long as this man is at the helm, Nigerian banks WILL NEVER be the same.
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by instinctg(m): 7:46pm On Jul 20, 2012
take it or leave it, mobile payments is the solution Nigeria .

the world is moving in that direction and we should not be left out in that race.

To me its safer ,faster and more convenient . eTranzact and a couple of mobile companies is in the fore front of innovative solutions.

Join the winning team !
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by bejay766: 11:29pm On Jul 20, 2012
otokx(m): 3:40pm
Most banks are having issues with their network and ATMs, why do we keep deceiving ourselves in this country?

Thank you! I do not know the reason for the hurry!
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by EdDave(m): 12:11am On Jul 21, 2012
Nigeria has 'managed' everything all her life. Bank capitalisation, Telecommunications, Power generation etc have crawled into our lives over the years, bringing us to where we are today. We do not have to wait for everything to be right before we start mobile banking.
These same criticisms were made when GSM was been introduced in the country. And tho' we may not be where we want to be, we are not where we were years ago. So gradually, we are heading there.
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by StarrMatthieu: 2:26am On Jul 21, 2012
Great
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by elitejosef: 5:50am On Jul 21, 2012
just a 666 step, thank u Lord cox u'll soon come, boko repent or perish as usualjust a 666 step, thank u Lord cox u'll soon come, boko repent or perish as usualjust a 666 step, thank u Lord cox u'll soon come, boko repent or perish as usual
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by Kposkila: 7:11pm On Jul 21, 2012
a gud step in d wrong direction, d stagd is getin set, want to know? read ur bible!
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by nedostic: 10:34pm On Jul 21, 2012
Please let us desist from introducing baseless religious sentiments into issues. I advise anyone to always study the bible and totally avoid corrupting the word of God with hearsay. Please treat God's word with all due respect. There is no scripture to prove that mobile banking is in tandem with the mark of the beast. If you have scriptures,kindly prove me wrong.

This post has nothing to do with religion.

I do want anyone who is in doubt of M-PESA, to do a google search on it and find out the contributions of mobile money/banking to an average Kenyan rather than fumbling and wobbling in the ignorance of what you cannot prove in the bible.

We should learn to contribute wisely to issues rather than feeding people with fictions and not facts.
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by Embdes(m): 10:35pm On Jul 21, 2012
Interested
Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by Michky: 8:45am On Jul 22, 2012
nedostic: Please let us desist from introducing baseless religious sentiments into issues. I advise anyone to always study the bible and totally avoid corrupting the word of God with hearsay. Please treat God's word with all due respect. There is no scripture to prove that mobile banking is in tandem with the mark of the beast. If you have scriptures,kindly prove me wrong.

I do want anyone who is in doubt of M-PESA, to do a google search on it and find out the contributions of mobile money/banking to an average Kenyan rather than fumbling and wobbling in the ignorance of what you cannot prove in the bible.

We should learn to contribute wisely to issues rather than feeding people with fictions and not facts.

Re: CBN Moves To Enhance Mobile Payment System by Michky: 8:56am On Jul 22, 2012
nedostic: Please let us desist from introducing baseless religious sentiments into issues. I advise anyone to always study the bible and totally avoid corrupting the word of God with hearsay. Please treat God's word with all due respect. There is no scripture to prove that mobile banking is in tandem with the mark of the beast. If you have scriptures,kindly prove me wrong.

You sound like a stake holder who is desperate for returns on his mobile money investment. Let me guess: you are a pocketmoni agent that has been promised comission on every referal's transactions. Right? Greedy bas.tard. God punish you for being selfish in your thinking. God! With more nigerians like you, there's only one guarantee: This country is finished!!

(1) (Reply)

Recycle PET Bottle Flakes Wanted In Large Quantity!!! / Nigeria’s State-oil Firm, NNPC, Lost N418.97 Billion In 21 Months – Report / What Could Have Happened Between YEMKEM & LABE ORUN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.