Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,287 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:41 AM

Office Dating: For Or Against? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Office Dating: For Or Against? (5660 Views)

Poll: For Or Against Office Dating? Responses Needed.

For: 29% (32 votes)
Against: 70% (78 votes)
This poll has ended

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Office Dating: For Or Against? by Emperoh(m): 11:42am On Dec 10, 2007
How would you handle an affair with a colleague in the same office as you. Maybe you both like yourselves and can't seem to stay apart. And before you know it kissing and petting in private places away from the view of fellow workers begins to happen. Do you think you can handle it. If yes HOW and if no WHY?
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by blueband(m): 11:49am On Dec 10, 2007
I usually advise people never to do work relationships.In any case the environment I live in is different from yours so it might be game for you.
As adults there is nothing wrong with it.But it has a way of interefering in your jobs.

Number 1:Is it under G?(Either of you is married or dating someone else).Then I will advise you don't even go there.Someone will eventually eb found out.

Number 2:Do you work in the same department where one of you has responsibility over the other?Then I will also advise against it.Soon you will be acussed of favouritism.

Number 3:Are you both single and unattached?Then go for it by all means.

Dating at work places can be really tricky when it comes to ending it.Someone is bound to be hurt and how do you then continue going to work,seeing the same person you still love now dating someone else?
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by rockiedink(m): 11:55am On Dec 10, 2007
hmmm undecided undecided undecidedgrabbing a seat and some popcorn and watching for other replies
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by ThoniaSlim(f): 11:58am On Dec 10, 2007
Against, its too complicated. undecided
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Dec 10, 2007
against, like blueband mentioned, if there's an eventual break-up, its usually akward. A friend of mine had an affair with her boss and he was very possesive. When she tried to break up with him, he got vindictive and always found ways to make her appear incompetent. she eventually had to quit. it's also very distracting having the hots for a colleague. u'll find it hard to concentrate on ur work.
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by jkpretty(f): 12:20pm On Dec 10, 2007
Do it if only u have the nerve & the strength to handle the consequences. Most times they don't work out well.

I'll say "NO". Although i believe u can find love almost anywhere. If u can't help it, I'll rather clandestine in the office & u see each other outside.
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by ndubest(m): 1:10pm On Dec 10, 2007
, forget it
, it never lasts or your performance in the office may not be upto standard due to lack of concentration
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by pisces20: 1:25pm On Dec 10, 2007
it all depends on the people involved and the environment they are working

@ ThoniaSlim
watsup chic, where hav u bin?
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by weebee(f): 1:36pm On Dec 10, 2007
It's not appropriate.
If you must do it then one of you should resign
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by ratiken(m): 1:50pm On Dec 10, 2007
It all depends on the people involved.

Its been working for me (almost two years now) though it takes sum maturity to come through.
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by stelladg: 2:19pm On Dec 10, 2007
i am not fully in support of office romance, but if the parties are both matured then they can stay put, it has so many complications .i wouldnt like to find myself in that condition.
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by mababe(f): 3:04pm On Dec 10, 2007
It depends on the office and the policies,if the office is the type that condone or appreciates such act,then the relationship should not be strained.
But if otherwise,one of them should start thinking of resigning for the relationship to blossom kiss
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by myluck: 3:08pm On Dec 10, 2007
I actually know nothing is wrong with it cos I actually did it and it worked and it is still working for me.But u have to very careful so as not to make a mistake of choosing the wrong person cos it can be very terrible.

My guys, it can be a sweet experience anyway![b][/b][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by bionic: 3:16pm On Dec 10, 2007
i ma totally, absolutely against it.
i have offers form varoius people at work, but i cant. it just doesnot feel right.
wat if it doesnot work out, hopw do i handle that, facing the one whom i probably had arocky or worse still a much publized relationship at work every other day. i did pass out form shame, or may be snile, form paranoia, thinking am the topic of discuss amongst other colleagues
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Dec 10, 2007
i'm totally against - with a but.

look having a serious relationship in the office is a no-no. it doesnt work for your concentration, trust or peace of mind. one is bound to suffer, and both may perish in the aftermath of the lovey-dovey episode. like they say a happy couple = deaf husband + blind wife. what u dont see cant eat at u. when u work together, you tend to see or hear too much tongue

on the other hand, if u're ABSOULTELY SURE (dettol  tongue) that it's a short-term, one-time, this-guy-is-so-cool-but i cant seriously date him kind of thing, go on. it's fun when both sides understand that hey, when it's over (and it will be very soon) we hug and part ways emotion-wise. and it can be very cool, cos work will have an exciting meaning for those brief moments. i repeat - as long as there are no heart strings attached. some people will wonder how it's possible, but trust me honey, if you can bring urself to do it, it's fun!

however, for the sake of most girls who dont and would never date someone for the pure fun of it, forget office crushes.

i think the really sticky one is dating your boss. how does one go about it? what if u find ur boss ultrasexy? it's an absolute no-go area, even for me, but how do some chicks navigate those waters? i'm CURIOUS!
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by Lola4eva(f): 3:23pm On Dec 10, 2007
sooooooooo against it, what if it doesnt work out, then wat next, continue as colleagues, no way,

as for ur boss, well thats a no go area, i truly wonder how chics get to navigate that area, it takes a lot of guts.
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by bobbteeth: 4:00pm On Dec 10, 2007
i am against the idea, its not pretty at all.
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by jintujinta(m): 4:04pm On Dec 10, 2007
I have seen couples who met at their working places. I dont think there is anything wrong with it, as long as the two involved are single and matured. Matured enough to allow other colleagues relate with their partner without any suspicion. Matured enough to separate romance from official duties. Matured enough to always know where to thrash out their differences- after work hours.

But the most important thing is that anyone that wishes to be involved in office romance should set his/her goal right. is it for fun, a serious affair, a trial relationship or a fling? And the partner must be carried along, so that if there is a need to discontinue, they will know how to handle it.
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by tonib(f): 4:10pm On Dec 10, 2007
just like jintujinta said, as long as the two involved are single and matured, there is nothing wrong. matured in the sense that the two will be able to know how to conduct themselves in the office esp when there are othe pple around and when there is work to do. whateva they do after office hours is there own business. but incase either or both is married I say a big NO to that.
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by emmydee(m): 4:50pm On Dec 10, 2007
Office relationship, to me is good. It keeps both of you from running outside during office hrs. it brings efficiency in d reltship. it makes the affair closer. It creates room for you to study each other more effectively. There's danger in every reltship. whether outside or inside. So I will go for office affair.
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by itakiri(f): 5:12pm On Dec 10, 2007
I dont advise office dating cos there wil b jealousy,no respect 4 one anoda and honestly the relationship wil nt last then al other tings follows.Why must it b the offic guy or lady? sad shocked
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by ifyalways(f): 5:13pm On Dec 10, 2007
i have seen it work for some folks.
i have seen it go sour and catastrophic for some too.
some have lost well paying jobs cos of office romance.
some have gained promotion and fame as a result for office romance.

methinks that whatever be the case,its a one thing that needs maturity,care and caution  tongue
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by sod4luv(m): 5:52pm On Dec 10, 2007
ifyalways:

i have seen it work for some folks.
i have seen it go sour and catastrophic for some too.
some have lost well paying jobs because of office romance.
some have gained promotion and fame as a result for office romance.

me thinks that whatever be the case,its a one thing that needs maturity,care and caution tongue

Rightness,
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by 3dhunter(m): 8:37pm On Dec 10, 2007
"office romance" is interesting until it gets into the full blown thing. then both parties just have to be careful and know where they are heading to. when it get sour if it ever gets sour going to work in the morning becomes something worse than a nightmare. And what happens when one of the party starts dating another person in the office, going to work becomes embarassed lipsrsealed undecided kiss cry
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by 3d(m): 10:00pm On Dec 10, 2007
be blind and insensitive: for or against?

thats how it is yo!
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Dec 10, 2007
against
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by Lady2(f): 10:53pm On Dec 10, 2007
Please don't get into office dating.
It causes problems.
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by almondjoy(f): 1:11am On Dec 11, 2007
@Topic

Not in the dating scene anymore---but do not have a problem with it.  You can meet your life time partner anywhere as long as the right ingredients for a "successful" union are present.  Many of my co-workers got married while employed in the same firm--At least you know the person has a job and can be observed at close range.  Many are still married working for the same firm.

People meet in the holiest of places and still cannot make "things" work.  So go figure!
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by otokx(m): 4:26am On Dec 11, 2007
This is a No No
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by diyobdw(f): 8:04am On Dec 11, 2007
it could be fun or woo depending on the people involved. alot of people cant keep their relationship of work and that could cos calamity to them or towards people around but on the other hand the few(emphasis on the few) would manage it well would be great as the can stay professional and happyily in love.

E.g. you are in a meeting wit ur baby and u think of are as a sex object u would definitely not make much success 'cos your mind is occupied trying to figure out whn next u wld corner her grin or worst case even flirt around before others

But if you are professional things will be different! wink it would only strenghten the feeling.
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by onyekang1(f): 8:54am On Dec 11, 2007
am totally against it.
Re: Office Dating: For Or Against? by sesethu(f): 11:20am On Dec 11, 2007
i was thinking of saying against it but imagine the excitement of the stolen kisses,winking when u walk by,blow kisses when no one is looking adds so much to the pleasure.it can give u something extra to look foward to when going to work.just be carefull dating someone who has authority to fire you if yo break up and please if any of you is married dont,it always comes out and you will be screwed tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Breaking: TUC Food Union FOBTOB, Declares National Indefinite Strike Action / PHOTO: Tiwa Savage Bought Her First House This Year. / Why Companies Hold Assessment Centers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.