Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:33 PM

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! - Literature (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! (17120 Views)

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by SamAfrik(m): 12:30pm On Jul 22, 2012
Weldone 2 everyone involved in this debate (Saga inclusive). I kind of like shymex extensive research but how am I sure he didnt plagarise. My money stil on him.
And how long is d reign of d champ gonna be?
Looking 4ward. *ordering more meat frm my wife*
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Jambsupport(f): 12:31pm On Jul 22, 2012
Orikinla: The President of Nigeria should be wise enough to download the points made by the debaters. Cheers all.
* laugh in swahili *
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Jambsupport(f): 12:40pm On Jul 22, 2012
SamAfrik: Weldone 2 everyone involved in this debate (Saga inclusive). I kind of like shymex extensive research but how am I sure he didnt plagarise. My money stil on him.
And how long is d reign of d champ gonna be?
Looking 4ward. *ordering more meat frm my wife*
sharrrraap, u don kolet royalti saga ko sega ni. Odas try sha *kolets d meat*
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by nodullin(m): 1:48pm On Jul 22, 2012
Breezy047: killed it!!! Had a fantastic argument!!
New acca: did well to 2...

Y'all better kill ur opponents later this evenin!!!

#Already seated in the front row with my wife and kids#
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by manny4life(m): 1:49pm On Jul 22, 2012
Cuddlemii:

Contrary to what you think, so much was put into the planning & execution of this. The problem started when politics section "elites" trampled on the project. They started by discrediting the potentials of debaters stating they were incompetent because they come from diverse backgrounds and not regular political posters. This made most of the debaters to drop out. The idea I had in mind was to bring diversity yet togetherness but I guess I wasn't stern enough to eliminate negative leaches.

Sagamite didn't make it easy as he repeatedly constituted a nuisance just to cover up his insecurity or intimidation. Every participant worked their butts off for this. This plan started barely fours days ago, therefore, the efforts of the judges, debaters & project manager should at least be appreciated.

Not to worry tomorrow would be much better! We can only get better right?

Now I get you, and YES diversity is great and welcomed. There shouldn't be a limit to those who want to debate because they aren't active politics majors, that's the problem holding Nigeria back. We restrict access to ourselves for other "qualified candidates" because the veterans said so. Not everyone can stand the cussing and abusing on the politics section and if the so-called politics elites have something to say, they can either be part of it of be quiet.

In fact, I expected the so-called elites to be the ones championing and encouraging this "NOT" constant gibberish and condemning of an exercise that's useful. I do agree with you that being strict as a chairperson is a major factor. Sagamite did hijack the thread and turned it into something else. I've never doubted nor questioned those who participated in this exercise because I strongly believe they pulled it off in such short notice (good job to "The Great Debaters"winkgrin grin grin

Oh, I'm a believer in people and good things. I believe we all learn, therefore, I'm not worried. I'll only be worried and disappointed if after several debates, it get's worse after each time.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by emmalezy(m): 3:53pm On Jul 22, 2012
OAM4J: Judge OAM4J on the ground.

Ready for the big clash!
I D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ wait ooo can we use pigin english?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by coogar: 4:09pm On Jul 22, 2012
Jambsupport: azzept correctn mufu

not when simpletons like you dolts are doing the correction.....
you homoerotic illiterate!
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jul 22, 2012
funny people. Instead of you all to get a life you are busy here arguing with each other? grin

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jul 22, 2012
**strolling in**
Ooops!! D front seat has already been occupied**sits down on next available seat**
Can someone play me OYATO frm dbanj pending d tym d show will start?thank you.
Shymex,ma money is on you cos am supporting u tonite.win d prize and i'll personally gv u an airline ticket to visit nigeria cos u sd u av neva been dere.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by coogar: 4:42pm On Jul 22, 2012
davidylan: funny people. Instead of you all to get a life you are busy here arguing with each other? grin

doctor david, you were 10 secs close to contesting in this debate. don't pretend now by standing aloof. besides, just heard now the gej is monitoring the thread and the winner gets a mouth-watering job in the presidency! wink
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by maclatunji: 5:28pm On Jul 22, 2012
^Yawns!
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by maclatunji: 5:35pm On Jul 22, 2012
^Yawnsx2
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by maclatunji: 6:02pm On Jul 22, 2012
^LMFSO!

Yawnsx 3
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Elueme: 6:33pm On Jul 22, 2012
shymmex: Good evening the panel of judges, co-debaters, and the audience.

I'm shymmex the voice of the masses – and my argument is in support of the motion that, godfatherism/ prebendalism/ clientelism in Nigeria Politics as being the main cause of corruption and developmental crises.

My Scholarship/Argument:
Great thinkers such as Pareto, Mosca, Michels, and Marx too devoted their political analysis to how power is used and misused by the elite class in different contexts. The domination of power by the hegemonic class in many parts of the contemporary world can thus be said to be nothing new but has a robust pedigree. The main lesson from all these works is that the study of political elites and leadership is very important for understanding the trajectories of development in any society. An important issue raised by Pareto and Marx in their works is that political elites insulate and isolate themselves from their society and try as much as possible to reproduce themselves from within. They do all possible within their reach to ensure that non-elites do not join their membership. To ensure this, the political elites maintain a safe, functional distance from the rest of the society. They reproduce themselves on an individual and selective basis in a process which Pareto specifically referred to as the 'circulation of elites'. The criteria for such elite recruitment are often parochial and the process is usually done in a manner that does not in any way compromise the traditional integrity of the dominant elite class.

The 'political godfathers' in Nigeria build an array of loyalists around them and use their influence, which is often tied to monetary considerations, to manipulate the rest of the society. Political godfathers use their influence to block the participation of others in Nigerian politics. They are political gatekeepers: they dictate who participates in politics and under what conditions. The role of such people is highly injurious to the advancement of popular, participatory democracy in Nigeria. Political godfathers are responsible for most of the pre- and post-election violence that we have seen in Nigeria.

The phenomenon of godfathers, are strictly instrumental relationship with their clients. Their main goal is to use their client to attain selfish goals; the latter too do the same. The relationship between the two of them thus has little or nothing with the larger society the two of them claim to lead.

Richard Joseph in his book; “Democracy and prebendal politics in Nigeria: The rise and fall of the second republic” asserted that the phenomena of 'prebendalism (a system of political patronage/godfatherism’ employment)' and 'clientelism (a social order which depends on relations of patronage/godfatherism)' as the two phenomena that led to the collapse of the second republic in Nigeria. The same problem led to the demise of the third republic. And if care is not taken, it is going to lead to the collapse of the present democratisation process in Nigeria.

PS: Richard Joseph described ‘godfatherism’ in the Nigerian context as ‘prebendalism’ and 'clientelism’.

The difference between these godsons and their godfathers is that the godfathers have 'a piece of the state' in their pockets. The power of the godfather lies in his position in government, the number of privileged people he has or has successfully planted in government, and hence his ability to directly or indirectly manipulate bureaucratic regulations. The godfathers in Nigerian politics are a set of oppressive elites whose stock in trade is the 'installation' of unpopular persons to fill vacant or un-vacant political offices using very crude means and blackmail.

Obasanjo as a case study:
Wole Soyinka asserted in 2004 that, the greatest disservice President Obasanjo has done to the nation was to have promoted the cult of godfatherism, its illegalities, its naked violence, and its corruption.

Obasanjo and PDP’s political coup in the SW against the incumbent AD (progressives) in 2003 showed why godfatherism isn’t ideal for Nigeria. PDP rule in the SW birthed political assassinations, underdevelopment, and extreme corruption.

Tony Anenih as a case study:
The case of Tony Anenih vs Adams Oshiomole in Edo State weakened the argument for the inevitability of godfathers in politics, with the latter being a progressive without a godfather. The tenure of Lucky Igbinedion (Annenih’s godson) was the darkest period in the history of Edo state. Igbinedion’s tenure was ridden with political assassinations, underdevelopment, and extreme corruption.
Guy, u had a good insight into d subject of discuss and you researched well which gave u a good preamble but argument of this nature had better been left empirical without specificity @ individuals or personalities which could cause biased judgement. For the sake of educating this house from misinformation, Lucky Igbinedion was no time a godson 2 Anenih(mayb @ d onset). He was a consensus of the pdP prior to 1999 election because of his outstanding performance as a local govt chairman in Oredo in the 3rd rePublic and also to compensate him 4 d loss he suffered with NRC in d 1992 gubernatorial election wch people proscribed to the Oba's disapproval due to d difference btw d Igbinedion senr and HRH.. D problem d pledged Edo PDP was becos of d crisis btw Lucky nd Anenih when d party had 2 functional secretariats jst b4 Osunbor came in 2007.. Fact: Lucky was neva a stooge of Anenih, tho I agree they were both insensitive to d masses
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by maclatunji: 6:41pm On Jul 22, 2012
^You have spoken well. I doubt that this debate can reach the highest standards when people don't get paid to organise it. Hence, we will continue to encourage the organisers to make as many improvements as are feasible under the circumstances.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by coogar: 6:52pm On Jul 22, 2012
Elueme: Guy, u had a good insight into d subject of discuss and you researched well which gave u a good preamble but argument of this nature had better been left empirical without specificity @ individuals or personalities which could cause biased judgement. For the sake of educating this house from misinformation, Lucky Igbinedion was no time a godson 2 Anenih(mayb @ d onset). He was a consensus of the pdP prior to 1999 election because of his outstanding performance as a local govt chairman in Oredo in the 3rd rePublic and also to compensate him 4 d loss he suffered with NRC in d 1992 gubernatorial election wch people proscribed to the Oba's disapproval due to d difference btw d Igbinedion senr and HRH.. D problem d pledged Edo PDP was becos of d crisis btw Lucky nd Anenih when d party had 2 functional secretariats jst b4 Osunbor came in 2007.. Fact: Lucky was neva a stooge of Anenih, tho I agree they were both insensitive to d masses

you must be very intelligent!
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by chucky234(m): 7:08pm On Jul 22, 2012
Elueme: Guy, u had a good insight into d subject of discuss and you researched well which gave u a good preamble but argument of this nature had better been left empirical without specificity @ individuals or personalities which could cause biased judgement. For the sake of educating this house from misinformation, Lucky Igbinedion was no time a godson 2 Anenih(mayb @ d onset). He was a consensus of the pdP prior to 1999 election because of his outstanding performance as a local govt chairman in Oredo in the 3rd rePublic and also to compensate him 4 d loss he suffered with NRC in d 1992 gubernatorial election wch people proscribed to the Oba's disapproval due to d difference btw d Igbinedion senr and HRH.. D problem d pledged Edo PDP was becos of d crisis btw Lucky nd Anenih when d party had 2 functional secretariats jst b4 Osunbor came in 2007.. Fact: Lucky was neva a stooge of Anenih, tho I agree they were both insensitive to d masses
Hmmm,you just opened Shymmex expo
Coogar,Shymmex and newaca copied contents directlt from the internet without editing original texts before making them part of the debate and should have rightly disqualified them,the judges failed to acknowledge those flaws from their debates.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by coogar: 7:17pm On Jul 22, 2012
chucky234: Hmmm,you just opened Shymmex expo
Coogar,Shymmex and newaca copied contents directlt from the internet without editing original texts before making them part of the debate and should have rightly disqualified them,the judges failed to acknowledge those flaws from their debates.

don't be a sourpuss....what did coogar copy directly from the internet?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jul 22, 2012
Haters are out in full swing..

About to get ready for the second round... I'll keep it as simple and precise as possible..
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jul 22, 2012
chucky234: Hmmm,you just opened Shymmex expo

What are you on about?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Cuddlemii: 7:45pm On Jul 22, 2012
The grand finale is here-
https://www.nairaland.com/997196/nairalands-literary-debating-day-finals

"Best of luck debaters!"
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by DExplorer1: 7:48pm On Jul 22, 2012
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jul 22, 2012
Information reaching me from the Special Adviser on Nairaland to President Jonathan (you know him!) has it the Presidential team at the villa are ready for tonight's Grand Finale. The President, the first lady, special adviser on formal media (Dr Reuben Abati), Special Adviser on Twitter (Reno Omokri) are all glued to their systems to witness this mpther of all contests from the largest online forum in sub-saharan Africa.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by coogar: 8:00pm On Jul 22, 2012
cheddarking:

Now compare with the below by Isaac Olawale Albert

http://www.ajol.info/index.php/asr/article/viewFile/23262/19942

Are we actually debating or copying and pasting other people's ideas?

Judges over to you...

shymmex should be arrested for plagiarism then or have his marks deducted by 20 points.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by OAM4J: 8:03pm On Jul 22, 2012
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! by freecocoa(f): 8:24pm On Jul 22, 2012
I can't believe cheddarking didn't make the finals.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

MY CAMPUS LIFE: A Love Gone Wrong {18+ AN EMOTIONAL STORY TO READ} / Sites To Read Novels Online / So You Betrayed Me-a Christian Fiction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.