Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,845 members, 7,802,697 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:13 PM

Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen (14338 Views)

Ondo Farmers Reject Proposed Grazing Routes For Fulani Herdsmen / APC Senators Fight As Truce Meeting Fails Again - Punch / Senators Fight Over State Of Nation Address (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by blaqoracle: 5:56am On Jul 22, 2012
the south east seem to be too worried whenever it comes to the issue of land. you love to eat suya, you need cow meat to celebrate your birthday, marriage ceremony, burial, yet u dont want a grazing land for the cow from which you get so much: meat milk hide and dung-manure
Mr.chippychappy:

+100 . I totally agree . i made a post similar to yours earlier on.
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by rhymz(m): 7:36am On Jul 22, 2012
Abagworo:

My comment was on "State of residence" proposal by IBB. It will help reduce tribalism and discrimination in Nigeria. I seem not to have that sort of what I consider ethnic bondage I notice among Nigerians and hence see things from a neutral point of view. We should all see ourselves as Nigerians.
Abagworo stop this nonsense self-righteous praise you are showering on yourself in a bid to look liberal and detribalized. How is your suggestion different from the preposterous propasals of that bills.
Do you know how many Igbos that are not just resident in places like Kano, kaduna, Sokoto and other major northern Cities but were born and raised there, yet like everyone else they have to struggle for space in the market place, pay to do business and every other thing that requires money exchange before they are given away. Your logic is so myopic and seem to make sense to you alone. The Fulanis must pay for the cost of doing business, that is not tribalism, it is common sense and fairness. God forbid somebody like you becomes an Igbo leader in any capacity, you will keep shifting ground decieving yourself thinking that you will be seen as liberal and detribalized until you lose everything to their demands. If Igbos who are much more in the North doing business, do not get Lands for free but hire, rent and buy, then the Fulanis should not be treated any different in other states, residents or not.
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by rhymz(m): 7:44am On Jul 22, 2012
blaqoracle: the south east seem to be too worried whenever it comes to the issue of land. you love to eat suya, you need cow meat to celebrate your birthday, marriage ceremony, burial, yet u dont want a grazing land for the cow from which you get so much: meat milk hide and dung-manure
Mr man you sound dumber than the Fulani cows, at least the grazing cows have excuse for acting without sense, you what is your excuse? Tribalism?
In the article, it says SW,SS,SE and even MB rejected the bill but all your bigotry impaired your ability to see that portion of the article, what a Reeeetard.
As if the Suya, Meat, and whatever you mentioned are given out for free for such purposes. Does your father own up to a plot of Land sef in his home town? Give it out to the Fulani cattle to graze on to show how charitable you are. 4cking Idiot!!

1 Like

Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by Abagworo(m): 9:38am On Jul 22, 2012
rhymz: Abagworo stop this nonsense self-righteous praise you are showering on yourself in a bid to look liberal and detribalized. How is your suggestion different from the preposterous propasals of that bills.
Do you know how many Igbos that are not just resident in places like Kano, kaduna, Sokoto and other major northern Cities but were born and raised there, yet like everyone else they have to struggle for space in the market place, pay to do business and every other thing that requires money exchange before they are given away. Your logic is so myopic and seem to make sense to you alone. The Fulanis must pay for the cost of doing business, that is not tribalism, it is common sense and fairness. God forbid somebody like you becomes an Igbo leader in any capacity, you will keep shifting ground decieving yourself thinking that you will be seen as liberal and detribalized until you lose everything to their demands. If Igbos who are much more in the North doing business, do not get Lands for free but hire, rent and buy, then the Fulanis should not be treated any different in other states, residents or not.

That is exactly what I'm saying. Those Igbos who were born, raised and are still doing there business in those places should be accorded full rights as citizens of the places in question. Same applies to every Nigerian born anywhere in Nigeria or has lived for long there.

As for the land thing, I think Nomads do not settle anywhere. They are always on the search for greener pastures. What I feel is the solution is not to acquire peoples land but to create certain routes that the herdsmen are restricted to while migrating without interfering with people's livelihood.
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by OneNaira6: 9:40am On Jul 22, 2012
Good idea mixed with dumb ideas. They should create a grazing land for the fulani herdsmen, in this way a reduction in clashes between the herdsmen and farmers. With that being sad, it is very ignorant to seek land in SS, SW, SE and MB when the entire north has more land mass than the other regions. Why not just create a grazing land where is it obviously enough space and people wouldn't fear their neighbors.
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by Beync(f): 10:15am On Jul 22, 2012
My uncle bought land in the north and spent millions to build his house. Due to the incessant bombings and attacks on igbos there he put up his house sale only for one aboki man to price his house 500k or he risk losing everything becos he dint come to the north with land. So how has these abokis who wants to. Come a grab free land and kill their host communities treated our brothers who are peacefully doing their businesses over their? Nonsense! When u finish killing ur host communities in platue and that place can no longer contend you, you are seeking to expand ur grazing towards se so we can run away from our lands. Oloshis
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by Nobody: 10:31am On Jul 22, 2012
The current nomadic grazing by the Fulani herdsmen should be outlawed. The Senate should be passing a law to ban this practice for the following reasons:

1) The practice is dirty and unhealthy and leads to spreading of diseases due to the unsanitary dumping of animal and human faeces by the nomads and their animals.
2) Nomadic cattle rearing has no long term future. Ranching is the way to go. The earlier ranching is enforced the better.
3) Will eliminate the destruction of valuable crops
4) Will eliminate the conflicts between the crop farmers and the herdsmen.
5) Will reduce the violent crimes of armed robbery and r.ap.es known to be perpetrated by the herdsmen.
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by mmmustapha(m): 10:45am On Jul 22, 2012
They r nigerians n hav d right to live everywhere they want, this is a good move
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by nagoma(m): 10:47am On Jul 22, 2012
TroGunn: The current nomadic grazing by the Fulani herdsmen should be outlawed. The Senate should be passing a law to ban this practice for the following reasons:

1) The practice is dirty and unhealthy and leads to spreading of diseases due to the unsanitary dumping of animal and human faeces by the nomads and their animals.
2) Nomadic cattle rearing has no long term future. Ranching is the way to go. The earlier ranching is enforced the better.
3) Will eliminate the destruction of valuable crops
4) Will eliminate the conflicts between the crop farmers and the herdsmen.
5) Will reduce the violent crimes of armed robbery and r.ap.es known to be perpetrated by the herdsmen.

Ranch farming is the way forward but herdsmen are not the armed robbers and you know it.
If Fulani herdsmen are raping your women we would have seen more beautiful children from that end. So it's a lie.
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by MrEverest(m): 10:56am On Jul 22, 2012
OMG! I finally give up on Nigeria, this country is not meant 2 be 2geda and would never be! So these irresponsible fellows still nurse the ambition of dominion over southerners(imbecilic clowns trying 2 lord it over others), little wonder why Nigeria keeps going in circles. For starters, this proposal is an insult and affront on other Nigerians; you sieze farmers land and hand it over 2 fulanis 2 graze based on an obnosious decree? Is the cattle a national resource that is giving out free? What sort of mentality or I.Q do these hausa/fulanis have? The earlier we balkanise this country, the better for us because for all intent n purpose we r of different yorks. God bless Odimegwu Ojukwu, God bless Gideon Orkar.
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by MrEverest(m): 10:59am On Jul 22, 2012
mmmustapha: They r nigerians n hav d right to live everywhere they want, this is a good move
MYOPIC!
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by MrEverest(m): 11:01am On Jul 22, 2012
nagoma:

Ranch farming is the way forward but herdsmen are not the armed robbers and you know it.
If Fulani herdsmen are raping your women we would have seen more beautiful children from that end. So it's a lie.
UNINTELLIGENT!
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by Nobody: 11:05am On Jul 22, 2012
nagoma:

Of course myopic bigots would never accept that the nomads are also robbers and r.ap.ists.

In Nigeria
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/herdsmen-kill-2-rape-women-in-imo/
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/54266-fulani-herdsmen-attack-enugu-community.html

Even In Ghana
http://news.peacefmonline.com/news/201112/84970.php?storyid=100&
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by MrEverest(m): 11:05am On Jul 22, 2012
blaqoracle: the south east seem to be too worried whenever it comes to the issue of land. you love to eat suya, you need cow meat to celebrate your birthday, marriage ceremony, burial, yet u dont want a grazing land for the cow from which you get so much: meat milk hide and dung-manure
CRASSLY DUMB!
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by Abagworo(m): 11:15am On Jul 22, 2012
Due to irrational reasoning of most Nigerians we have failed to notice that all these herdsmen brouhaha is very recent. Herdsmen have always migrated across countries without any qualms right from pre-biblical times till the early part of this 21st century. This democracy has in recent times fueled and polarized Nigerian unity. We always knew that Fulanis came down South to Port Harcourt and go back to Sokoto grazing. Infact when I was little there were more of them along the PH-Enugu express way grazing as the cars sped by.

The question is what happened since 2000 that has led to increased frequency of clashes? Why were they not raping and robbing before then?
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by Nobody: 11:35am On Jul 22, 2012
Abagworo: Due to irrational reasoning of most Nigerians we have failed to notice that all these herdsmen brouhaha is very recent. Herdsmen have always migrated across countries without any qualms right from pre-biblical times till the early part of this 21st century. This democracy has in recent times fueled and polarized Nigerian unity. We always knew that Fulanis came down South to Port Harcourt and go back to Sokoto grazing. Infact when I was little there were more of them along the PH-Enugu express way grazing as the cars sped by.

The question is what happened since 2000 that has led to increased frequency of clashes? Why were they not raping and robbing before then?

Because they've become more criminal. There was a time we had no 419ers, now they are here. There was a time we had no suicide bombers too. Nomadic cattle rearing should be banned.
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by Zeruchi: 12:10pm On Jul 22, 2012
nagoma:

What a disgusting thing to say. God I wonder for some of you folks. After the blasé attitude towards rape the insinuation that Fulani men are gods gift to the world like you guys don't have some ugly fuglies in your group is just icing on the cake.

The irony is that you are one of the "educated" ones, what a waste of good money.
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by aribisala0(m): 12:20pm On Jul 22, 2012
Nigeria's population has trebled and more land is being used for farming.Desert encroahment has occurred and there is greater population of cows due to better control of trypanosomiasis.
The method of Cattle farming is not sustainable because land is limited and people are less tolerant of TRESPASS which is what these nomads have been doing plus the fact that we were in a military regime led by Northerners.
Imagine if we want to farm chickens for Nigeria in open land rather than in cages how much land would be required.
Poultry farmers have modernized and so should cattle farmers.
There is no land in the south that does not have an owner so if the land is compulsorily acquired who will pay for the compensation and where is the "overriding public interest". Why is it only this group of farmers that will benefit.
Shall we have WALLOWING RESERVES too for pigs in Zamfara State.
The other issue is the impact on ethnic configuration and local mores.What happens when locals want to worship their juju and their guests declare it ungodly or refuse to comply with directives as happened in Sagamu in 1999?. Or start demanding an Emir etc.
Those people who preach this State of Birth philosophy are naive.Nnewi is essentially an Igbo town and should remain so.Ditto for Benin and it would be absurd to suggest anyone born in Benin should become Oba or Iyare etc.It is not inconceivable that the Binis are minority in Benin but we must protect minority groups always in preserving identity and culture by ensuring they retain the authority and control over traditional and cultural issues in their domain.
One unfortunate consequence of the forced method of Islamization in Northern Nigeria is that many traditional culture have been wiped away and the people essentially became a "blank slate" for arabization this is indeed tragic and must never happen in the south.
Will grazing reserves be for Fulani or any Nigerian interested in farming.This plan is not workable in souther Nigeria and should be abandoned

1 Like

Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by Abagworo(m): 1:37pm On Jul 22, 2012
TroGunn:

Because they've become more criminal. There was a time we had no 419ers, now they are here. There was a time we had no suicide bombers too. Nomadic cattle rearing should be banned.
aribisala0: Nigeria's population has trebled and more land is being used for farming.Desert encroahment has occurred and there is greater population of cows due to better control of trypanosomiasis..

I think this is the reason then. We need to engage in birth control to avert future disaster. The permanent solution is adapting modernized system of farming or even if they should continue their barbaric method, let States like Niger, Sokoto, Borno, Kwara and others with less population density engage in irrigation to help create grazing field for the Fulani herds men.
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by cristog120: 6:00pm On Jul 22, 2012
Abagworo:

My comment was on "State of residence" proposal by IBB. It will help reduce tribalism and discrimination in Nigeria. I seem not to have that sort of what I consider ethnic bondage I notice among Nigerians and hence see things from a neutral point of view. We should all see ourselves as Nigerians.

i cant imagine hearing that an hausa man has become my LGA CHAIRMAN IN ANAMBRA.ITS UNTINKABLE.
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by Gudiza(m): 6:41pm On Jul 22, 2012
nwabobo: @topic, will shopping malls also be acquired for our igbo brothers who travel elsewhere for greener pastures?

The Igbos buy land to erect their shops or rent one when they go up North to do business. If the Fulanis want land for grazing, they should as well be able to purchase one or at least rent afterall it's their private business they r running. What is good for the goose is also good for the gander.

Sky Blue: And this is the solution as opposed to fixing the problem of feeding lands up north? What are the senators doing with regards for pushing the desert back?

And please enough of this "we want cattle meat" nonsense. The meat is not free. People pay money for it. You make it sound as if this cattle rearing is some kind of free, selfless service to the nation. It is business and nobody gets any sort of derivation from the proceeds.

rawtruth: "Grazing reserves in all parts of the country"? What about the vast and empty acres of land in the core north? Can't such places be demarcated, re-grassed and provided with basic amenities for nomadic fulanis and their cattle?.

Until govt picks the courage to tell the fulanis that the days of primitive grazing are over and so cattle owners must return to their original places of abode to be taught new methods of animal breeding or buy parcels of land from natives to establish ranches (with govt financial assistance), the Darfur scenario is bound to unfold here. And, not in the far future.

9ja voice: ...ALL HAUSA/FULANI'S IN ANY REGION SHOULD BE TASK TO PAY FOR ANY LAND THEY OCCUPY. ANY GRASS THEIR CATTLES ATE SHALL BE PAID FOR. since we don't get anything free from them, so shall we not give them any free thing......
1000 Likes. This makes so much sense!

1 Like

Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by Greyhair1: 7:39pm On Jul 22, 2012
Ahmedie25: Sentement apart ,this bill could have prevent future crises between fulanis & farmers,but Nigerians sentlement will not allow it.
what is dis one sayin.aboki for real n another waste of our oil money.
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by k9ine(m): 8:23pm On Jul 22, 2012
unclenna: Look at their plan...Imagine when Nigeria will later split we will have southern fulani with equal right...TUFIAKWA
GBAM.
You took the words from my mouth. Later on if there is a split, the ones in the south who would have grabbed land would be causing chaos, then a further split, the new nation would also have those who migrated deep down south. Before you know, all the nation states that would later come from the current Naija and new Naija, would have them.
You know the rest.
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by dabigwalls: 8:40pm On Jul 22, 2012
abdulkayus:

abeg remove kwara state frm dat lists

lmao![/font][font=Lucida Sans Unicode]
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by Onlytruth(m): 3:38am On Jul 23, 2012
Abagworo: I 1st suggested this solution on Nairaland even before the Senators proposed it. I think as Nigerians people, we would prefer continuous war over nothing.

So, what does the FURIOUS reactions coming from the South and Middle belt tell you about the poor sense in your proposal?
Honestly Abagworo I don't know what you are about. I personally think that you are in business with one rich Alhaji whose money you find irresistible, because you have NEVER shown any passion or feelings towards the plight of your people.
You are too self serving for your own good.
Repent my brother.
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by Onlytruth(m): 3:42am On Jul 23, 2012
I remember the argument I had with one of my brothers here sometime last week about this idea of allocating grazing land for Fulani herdsmen.
What every concerned group Igbo, Yoruba, Middle belt and Ijaw are saying in their opposition to this are exactly the same things I said.
Only fools don't see the rationality in the points they are making.
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by Onlytruth(m): 3:45am On Jul 23, 2012
Abagworo: Due to irrational reasoning of most Nigerians we have failed to notice that all these herdsmen brouhaha is very recent. Herdsmen have always migrated across countries without any qualms right from pre-biblical times till the early part of this 21st century. This democracy has in recent times fueled and polarized Nigerian unity. We always knew that Fulanis came down South to Port Harcourt and go back to Sokoto grazing. Infact when I was little there were more of them along the PH-Enugu express way grazing as the cars sped by.

Could you at least tell us whose fault that is? Who changed the Fulani (fully grown men) into murderers and r-apists.
I am sure you will find a way to blame the rest of us for that.
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by Obiagu1(m): 5:18am On Jul 23, 2012
Onlytruth: I remember the argument I had with one of my brothers here sometime last week about this idea of allocating grazing land for Fulani herdsmen.
What every concerned group Igbo, Yoruba, Middle belt and Ijaw are saying in their opposition to this are exactly the same things I said.
Only fools don't see the rationality in the points they are making.

I remember I argued something similar to this bill before with you, not exactly my proposal though. People are reactionary, as with everything Nigeria, so we'll keep going in circles. In 30 years time, we'll still be talking about Fulanis.

1 Like

Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by 9javoice1(m): 5:55am On Jul 23, 2012
by Abagworo(m): 11:15am On Jul 22
Due to irrational reasoning of most Nigerians we have failed to notice that all these herdsmen brouhaha is very recent. Herdsmen have always migrated across countries without any qualms right from pre-biblical times till the early part of this 21st century. This democracy has in recent times fueled and polarized Nigerian unity. We always knew that Fulanis came down South to Port Harcourt and go back to Sokoto grazing. Infact when I was little there were more of them along the PH-Enugu express way grazing as the cars sped by.
The question is what happened since 2000 that has led to increased frequency of clashes? Why were they not Molesting and robbing before then?

1)i blv you are an hausa/fulani man with igbo id. or a paid agent by one alhaji to defend hausa/fulani's in NL.
2)it is shockin to notice,you have no pity for comunities whose farms are destroyed but ur compansion sudenly arises to fulani's when they rcv a reprisal.
Abagworo you are the worst human being i have seen. you don't even knw when you are right.
the ppl you are trying to accomudate has blocked every means for you to breath well in their domain while advancing on your space.
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by 9javoice1(m): 5:56am On Jul 23, 2012
3)secret motive, if NE/NW senators has good intention to other part of nigeria why not make their motion look like this, "its time to give free lands to every nigeria in any state you reside to do whatever business you can lay your hand on" "no tax and no religious limitations"
4)if the senators realy want to curb crimes from ths herdsmen they need solutions like "penalise the herdsmen heavely for destroying farmers crops,and gov should reward farmers in apeasement"
5)As human what do we need most,and what should we sacrifice more for, (a)food (b)meat ? ofcourse we need food more not meat, therefore the only means to go on this is to suport farmers from SE/SW/SS/MB and give them free land all round the country.
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by 9javoice1(m): 5:57am On Jul 23, 2012
6)if we have sein cow from asia/australia/europe and americas, there's nothing to make us eat ths disease infected things this guys sell.anyway i don't eat it.

7)is it not open to us all that from BUHARI to all fulani elites and elders, they never show remorse on what their brother's are doing to good nigerians.

cool80% of this herdsmen are from niger,mali,cameroon,etc and sudan, they fight and kill nigeria citizens and gov don't come for our rescue?

9)now what NE/WE are telling us is for the nation to accord foriegners lands and deny citizens their rights? for them its cool. ths vindicated me for standing that ths guys has ulterior motives and secret intentions.
Re: Senators Fight Over Grazing Land For Fulani Herdsmen by Obiagu1(m): 5:58am On Jul 23, 2012
I will also add that my proposal 1.does not include setting up grazing reserves for Fulanis by the federal government, 2.does not tolerate settlement by the Fulanis in any such grazing route other than their native lands, 3.does not relinquish ownership of such lands to Fulanis but will remain the property of the states and natives, 4.will limit the herdsmen to such routes which will end encroachment to farmlands, 5.will set up an institution to handle violations immediately which will stop farmers from taking the law into their hands.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

National Grazing Bill Still Active In National Assembly - Vanguard / EFCC Traces N500M Properties To Jonah Jang / Gbajabiamila Launches PAN Nigeria's New Products

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.