Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,756 members, 7,802,313 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:21 PM

What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? (51027 Views)

OEM Or Aftermarket Or Tokunbo - When To Buy Which? / What Is The Difference Between SOHC And DOHC Engines And Which Is Better? / What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by autoselect: 12:18pm On Jul 21, 2012
OEM parts are Original Equipment Manufacturer parts.This means it is a vehicle part made by the car manufacturer. Many automotive companies also use outside manufacturers to design and produce the parts used on the vehicle and then the dealer adds their logo and packages it in their custom packaging.

Aftermarket parts on the other hand are produced by a different company than the car maker. While these parts are usually made with the same materials and made to serve the same purpose,they may have slight differences in how they look and feel.Some aftermarket parts,due to redesign, may actually be an improvement on the original.

OEM parts tend to be more expensive, but are easier to choose and usually are backed by a one-year warranty.

When you take your car to the dealership's service department, say Elizade, for repairs, you know you're getting Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) car parts. However, if you take your car to an independent mechanic, you'll most likely get aftermarket car parts. Is there anything wrong with that? Does a less expensive part mean a poorer-quality part? And in what situations should you use only OEM parts?

To answer these questions, we've created a list of pros and cons to help you make a more informed decision when choosing what parts go into your car. In this way, you can strike a balance between cost and quality.

Aftermarket Parts

PROS
Less expensive: Aftermarket parts are usually less expensive than OEM parts; how much you save varies by brand.If the price of a part seems too good to be true, ask questions about its quality.

Quality can be equal to or greater than OEM: In some cases, you may end up with a better part than you started with. The aftermarket companies reverse-engineer the part, and work the weaknesses out. For example, when an automaker designs its brake pads, it has to strike a balance between cost, durability, noise levels and performance. If you want better performance and don't mind some extra brake noise (some brake pads squeak even though they are stopping the car effectively), an aftermarket pad may be your best choice.

More variety: There are hundreds of companies that make aftermarket parts. Some specialize in specific parts, and other companies make almost any part you can think of. More variety means greater selection and a wider range of prices. You can walk into any auto parts store or local mechanic, and they're bound to have a part that fits your car. This gives you more options on where to take your car for service.

CONS
Quality varies greatly: The saying "you get what you pay for" rings true here. Some aftermarket parts are inferior because of the use of lower-quality materials. Stick with aftermarket brands you're familiar with or are recommended by a mechanic you trust, even if these parts cost a bit more.

Overwhelming selection: If you're not familiar with aftermarket brands, the selection could be overwhelming, and there's some chance you may get a bad quality part. Even a part as simple as a spark plug can be made by dozens of different companies and comes in numerous variations.

OEM Parts
PROS

Easier to choose your part: If you go to the parts counter at a dealership and ask for any part, you'll usually get one type. You don't have to worry about assessing the quality of different brands and prices.

Greater assurance of quality: The OEM part should work exactly as the one you are replacing. It is what the vehicle was manufactured with and provides a peace of mind in its familiarity and performance.

CONS
More expensive: OEM parts will usually cost more than an aftermarket part.

Need to be bought at the dealership: Even though there are other ways of buying OEM parts, most people will go to a dealership to buy their car parts. This limits the number of places you can buy from.

Quality may not be superior: You paid the extra money for an OEM part, hoping that it was vastly better than an aftermarket part. But that may not always be the case.Some aftermarket parts are equal to or in some cases better than OEM parts. So you might be paying extra just for the name.

When Should You Request OEM Parts?

When it comes to collision repairs, make sure you are getting OEM parts, since aftermarket body panels may not fit properly or have proper crumple zones for crash safety.

Which Is the Best Way To Go?

All aftermarket parts are not created equal — but all OEM parts are. This creates its own set of advantages and disadvantages. If you're familiar with a number of brands or work on your own car, aftermarket parts can save you a lot of money. If you're not familiar with aftermarket brands, prefer to have everything done at the dealership and don't mind paying a bit extra for that peace of mind, OEM is a good choice for you.

Check out our website at www.autoselectcorp.com to see our product offering of top quality aftermarket parts
Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by lekushious: 6:05am On Jul 22, 2012
Wow, this is actually very educational. I thought all along that any part that is not branded by the car manufacturer is fake. So some aftermarket parts are even better than the OEM? Interesting.....
Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by skillobanty: 6:28am On Jul 22, 2012
I agree that for body parts, its better to stick with OEM or used body parts from cars. Some of these aftermarket body parts simply don't fit. I always buy my side mirrors or bumper from ladipo and they are used parts taken from the same model of car. Its safer than buying new aftermarket part and discovering that they don't fit afterwards. By the way, autoselect, nice website. Do you have air filter for 2008 honda evil spirit?
Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by Amaizu(m): 7:32am On Jul 22, 2012
Yeah,i prefer buying the so called Belgium parts,at least one is sure that it will fit.Pls who knows how i'll source the transmission for my dad's 2004 Toyota Highlander and the price
Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by autoselect: 9:10am On Jul 22, 2012
lekushious: Wow, this is actually very educational. I thought all along that any part that is not branded by the car manufacturer is fake. So some aftermarket parts are even better than the OEM? Interesting.....

Exactly, some aftermarket part manufacturers actually take the original OEM part, reverse engineer it and remove defects which results in an improved version. This is the reason many aftermarket parts have become world class brands i.e they simply perform better than OEM. For instance Fram filter is the most popular brand of oil filters in the US sold widely in auto parts stores.

for more about other top brands of aftermarket parts, check out our website at www.autoselectcorp.com
Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by autoselect: 9:21am On Jul 22, 2012
skillo_banty: I agree that for body parts, its better to stick with OEM or used body parts from cars. Some of these aftermarket body parts simply don't fit. I always buy my side mirrors or bumper from ladipo and they are used parts taken from the same model of car. Its safer than buying new aftermarket part and discovering that they don't fit afterwards. By the way, autoselect, nice website. Do you have air filter for 2008 honda evil spirit?

I agree with you that for body parts, its easier to go with OEM. However some aftermarket have distinguished themselves with parts that fit the cars they make them for. Such names as TYC and Depo are asian auto lamp manufacturers who manufacture top quality aftermarket lamps that fit. in fact, they have become so experienced that major car makers like Ford have turned to them to make OEM lamps for their cars.
Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by autoselect: 9:24am On Jul 22, 2012
Amaizu: Yeah,i prefer buying the so called Belgium parts,at least one is sure that it will fit.Pls who knows how i'll source the transmission for my dad's 2004 Toyota Highlander and the price

Check this page tomorrow evening and we will publish prices for 2004 toyota highlander transmission as well as prices for other car parts and also tell you where to get them.
Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by autoselect: 9:58am On Jul 22, 2012
autoselect:

I agree with you that for body parts, its easier to go with OEM. However some aftermarket have distinguished themselves with parts that fit the cars they make them for. Such names as TYC and Depo are asian auto lamp manufacturers who manufacture top quality aftermarket lamps that fit. in fact, they have become so experienced that major car makers like Ford have turned to them to make OEM lamps for their cars.

Skillo_banty,

We have air filter for 2008 Honda Accord Evil Spirit. The price is N1,800
Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by skillobanty: 9:29pm On Jul 22, 2012
not bad. Where are you located.I also need spark plugs for Honda Accord 2008 evil spirit
Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by autoselect: 4:17pm On Jul 23, 2012
Amaizu: Yeah,i prefer buying the so called Belgium parts,at least one is sure that it will fit.Pls who knows how i'll source the transmission for my dad's 2004 Toyota Highlander and the price

The Toyota Highlander transmission goes for 250,000 at Ladipo Market as at 23/7/2012. For further information you can call 01844732
Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by Emperoh(m): 5:09pm On Jul 23, 2012
@autoselect

Can i have the privilege of publishing this insightful information on my blog?
Full citations will be given to you.
Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by autoselect: 4:22am On Jul 24, 2012
Emperoh: @autoselect

Can i have the privilege of publishing this insightful information on my blog?
Full citations will be given to you.
[quote author=Emperoh][color=#550000]@autoselect

Why sure, emperoh. send a link to you blog as well
Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by ontherun: 4:55am On Jul 24, 2012
autoselect, nice post. I checked your website and your products seem to be quality. I'm know Fram and Autolite spark plugs. In fact I have autolite spark plugs in my toyota camry now and its performing well. before i bought it, my mechanic told me anytime I want to change spark plugs I should go for tokunbo because all the new ones are imported from china. but he recently got some autolite from trade fair and he tried it on my car. Since then, the car performance has improved to my surprise.

let me know your price of your autolite cos I want to buy and keep for my next service.
Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by Emperoh(m): 5:27am On Jul 24, 2012
autoselect: Why sure, emperoh. send a link to you blog as well

Waoh! I just went to your link and saw you guys are already doing what i
have in mind of doing at some point.

I can always share my marketing and sales ideas to you guys.

In the meantime, the link to my blog: www.bluechemautos.
Do you guys also stock KYB brake discs?
Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by nexman(m): 9:38pm On Apr 03, 2013
@Autoselect.
Please I do appreciate you taking the pains to post the review about OEM and Aftermarket parts. Your review was culled from Edmunds review website... http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/aftermarket-versus-manufacturer-car-parts.html At least cite, quote or give them credit for the review. Don't lead EMPEROH to believe he has to give you credit for originality.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by sultaan(m): 2:52am On Apr 04, 2013
skillo_banty: not bad. Where are you located.I also need spark plugs for Honda Accord 2008 evil spirit

Your plugs should be due at 100,000 miles.
Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by UmangKumar: 5:34am On Apr 04, 2013
Hello Friends,

An aftermarket part is any part for a vehicle that is not sourced from the car's maker. If the parts are direct replacement parts, they will not void your car's warranty. A number of companies make parts designed to function the same, or in some cases even better than the original. Tom Torbjornsen, host of America's Car Show, estimates that about 80 percent of independent shops use aftermarket parts. "Be an informed consumer," said Torbjornsen."Shop around, make sure you're dealing with a good mechanic and request high-quality aftermarket parts."

Thanks and Regards,
Umang Kumar

Honda Dream Yuga
Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by AutoQuint: 9:32am On Apr 07, 2013
I differ in argument on the fact that Aftermarket Parts are better than OEM Parts. If it is so, why advice people to buy Body Parts from OEM and system unit parts from Aftermarket?
OEM is the best choice you can get in terms of any Parts for your automobiles. Why? 1. OEM Parts are insured (the reasons for warranty), 2. OEM parts go through serial random testing on the followings: Operational Tests, Durability Tests and Material Tests. These tests are crucial for vehicle stability and safety of use. For instance Brake Pad must function with Brake Disc Materials, Clutch Disc must function with Clutch Plate and Flywheel Materials.
Some Aftermarket part makers do produce for OEM, but they are under very strict supervision by the OEM companies. Some of the OEM buy rights into the Aftermarket producers companies and have access to their production facilities just to control quality. If OEM manufacturers spend money on quality why should the parts be cheap?
The best part that one can buy from Aftermarket is the Body Parts, it carries no loss safety implications. Please buy OEM for operational/control and safety Parts and I beg you, don’t risk your life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by sultaan(m): 4:51pm On Apr 07, 2013
Some people here are mixing up their perception of the auto industries when it come to parts.
No car company ;
1. Can afford R&grin on all car components.
2. Makes all components.
3. Exists without vendors

Those vendors are the manufacturers of aftermarket parts.

Car parts is a numbers game, by law if you make any component in the US you have to make the spec available for others to make so people who need it in other parts of the world don't have to come to you, that is how patent and licensing works.

Companies like Bosch and Delphi(http://delphi.com/) might develop a better electrical system than the one currently on cars so they start selling it on the market and the automakers adopt it, or the manufacture outsource parts to vendors(the make parts to carmaker spec with carmaker logo on it)e.g Jaguar, for engines, Bently, BMW engines, Lots of carmakers use Aisin transmissions.Its better/cheaper to make one component that fits into a dozen models than a dozen models that use specific parts and even cheaper when its made by someone else to fit multiple manufacturers and this is where we use service parts.

When it comes to service parts like brakes, filters, lubricants, tires, suspension components, and sensors. Cars are made to use components available in the market.GM,Ford,and Toyota are not in the brake business so they use parts made by Wagner, Brembo, Federated etc. same for shocks, lights, tires, exhaust, bearings etc.

There are specialized part of the car that need a different type of vendors and sometimes collaboration between auto makers, like the differential, transfer case, entertainment system for these you need companies like Dana, Bose,karma kardon, new venture gear(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Venture_Gear)

There is a lot more involved in the field than you average mechanic(adviser) can ever imagine.
Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by TEEZERS: 11:18am On Dec 28, 2013
Emperoh:

Waoh! I just went to your link and saw you guys are already doing what i
have in mind of doing at some point.

I can always share my marketing and sales ideas to you guys.

In the meantime, the link to my blog: www.bluechemautos.
Do you guys also stock KYB brake discs?

You can check it up here //http://isolo./kyb-shock-absorbers-iid-575715663.
KYB manufactures vehicle suspension components and not brake discs.
Re: What Is The Difference Between OEM And Aftermarket Auto Parts? by Stricklybidness(m): 8:25am On Feb 02, 2021
sultaan:
Some people here are mixing up their perception of the auto industries when it come to parts.
No car company ;
1. Can afford R&grin on all car components.
2. Makes all components.
3. Exists without vendors

Those vendors are the manufacturers of aftermarket parts.

Car parts is a numbers game, by law if you make any component in the US you have to make the spec available for others to make so people who need it in other parts of the world don't have to come to you, that is how patent and licensing works.

Companies like Bosch and Delphi(http://delphi.com/) might develop a better electrical system than the one currently on cars so they start selling it on the market and the automakers adopt it, or the manufacture outsource parts to vendors(the make parts to carmaker spec with carmaker logo on it)e.g Jaguar, for engines, Bently, BMW engines, Lots of carmakers use Aisin transmissions.Its better/cheaper to make one component that fits into a dozen models than a dozen models that use specific parts and even cheaper when its made by someone else to fit multiple manufacturers and this is where we use service parts.

When it comes to service parts like brakes, filters, lubricants, tires, suspension components, and sensors. Cars are made to use components available in the market.GM,Ford,and Toyota are not in the brake business so they use parts made by Wagner, Brembo, Federated etc. same for shocks, lights, tires, exhaust, bearings etc.

There are specialized part of the car that need a different type of vendors and sometimes collaboration between auto makers, like the differential, transfer case, entertainment system for these you need companies like Dana, Bose,karma kardon, new venture gear(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Venture_Gear)

There is a lot more involved in the field than you average mechanic(adviser) can ever imagine.

So true.

(1) (Reply)

Pictures Of Bugatti Veyron Made Of Gold Owned By Flo Rida / Auto Reviews / A Good Samaritan Did This For A Stranger On His Way Home From Cross Over Night.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.