Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,784 members, 7,802,436 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:24 PM

Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? (1175 Views)

Jonathan Was Inexperienced, Not Incompetent - Babangida / New Lagos Governor Ambode Incompetent - The Economist / Resign Now, Southern Leaders’ Group Tells Jega (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by EzeCanada: 7:43pm On Jul 21, 2012
I am at loss as to why Northern leaders past and present- Governors, Senators, parliamentarians, ex-service men, ACF etc are always on point with their agenda (mostly selfish, inhumane and ill-conceived) whereas their Southern counterpart are always intimidated, or perhaps feel threatened or dementia-ted. Let's simply put it, Southern leaders are cowards or incompetent or both.

My Point is ....

When S'East attempted to secede from the Federation, it was the North and their leadership that lead the opposition

The entire South have always agitated for a Confab, The Northern leaders have historically sabotaged it.

When S'South Speakers were seeking for 50 per cent of derivation funds, it was the Northern leadership again who opposed and killed the bill

When Southern leaders where agitating for resource control. Their Northern counterpart stood against it and in fact called for reduction in derivation funds with a threat break -up

When the mantle of leadership fell on a S’Southerner (Goodluck Jonathan), it was the Northern leadership who swore to dismantle governance, hence the re-emergence of Boko Haram.

In February, when Boko Haram commanded the Igbo’s to leave the North, The Northern leadership boldly and openly backed it.

Fulani herdsmen have this pattern of killing and sexually harassing their Middle-belt and Southern host and habitually destroying their farmland – the most recent being the villages in Plateau state. Guess what the Northern leaders did? ….Simply back them.

Today, the same Northern leaders have raised and supported a bill to back grazing land for their northern Fulani herdsmen in spite of all the killings and farmland destroyed. They did not blink neither did they tender any apology or plan to do so in the future.

Yet its Southern counterpart's have no well thought response or solution to this. This is painfully appealing and disturbing. I don’t know if am the only person observing all these.

2 Likes

Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by Afam4eva(m): 7:43pm On Jul 21, 2012
It's not as if southern leaders are incompetent or afraid of their northern counterpart, it's just that history has put the northern leader at an edge, so politicians from the south have to be very carefull.
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by EzeCanada: 7:53pm On Jul 21, 2012
afam4eva: It's not as if southern leaders are incompetent or afraid of their northern counterpart, it's just that history has put the northern leader at an edge, so politicians from the south have to be very carefull.

Does not seem so because the political equation has changed - in fact since 1999 leadership has been in the hands of the Southerners
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by EzeCanada: 7:53pm On Jul 21, 2012
afam4eva: It's not as if southern leaders are incompetent or afraid of their northern counterpart, it's just that history has put the northern leader at an edge, so politicians from the south have to be very carefull.

Does not seem so because the political equation has changed - in fact since 1999 leadership has been in the hands of the Southerners
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by Afam4eva(m): 7:55pm On Jul 21, 2012
EzeCanada:
It's really not about who's the president but about who has more representative in the house of senate and reps. Federal character has also put them at an advantage ahead of southerners. So, they form the majority. This is different from what was obtained in the first republic.
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by EzeCanada: 7:59pm On Jul 21, 2012
In that case what answer do you have for delegates (Southern and Northern)who elected GEJ as against Atiku. The political landscape has changed
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by Dede1(m): 10:18pm On Jul 21, 2012
The symptom and stigma of betrayal follow the betrayer for a very long time while a fellow conspirator enjoys the spoil of the war knowing very well that betrayer is stuck at the middle of the road. I pray you to study the history of Nigeria deeply and you will come face to face the reason behind the country’s backward slide.

In addition, some sections of the country have sold their innocent and political conscience as well as goodwill to the level they have lost the pedigree to stand on anything meaningful.

Even when it comes to selecting somebody of astute natural quality among Nigerians for a leadership role, the southerners always look like suckers and you will see the likes of Edwin Clark making headlines.
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by spyder880(m): 10:31pm On Jul 21, 2012
Greed
Mistrust among southern politicians
And greed again!
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by Nobody: 11:20pm On Jul 21, 2012
@OP, you are on point there. The way our southern reps go about the business of politics always baffles me. Imagine the latest bill on grazing, it is the southern reps that are on the defensive resistig the bill. The had all the oppurtunity, in the face of recent cultural clashes, to sponsor a bill restricting the movement of cattle from farmlands and other private estate instead, we are on the defensive a bill which is nothing short of an insult! angry
Everytime there are clashes, they only come out to condemn.
@Afam, the issue of historical advantage doent hold water in this age of enlightenment.
Also, our governors and state house of assemblies have to sit up. They need to start passing proactive laws to check these northern usurpers.
The best of constitutional lawyers should be consulted on this.
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by vladimiros: 11:31pm On Jul 21, 2012
you know

I think we southerners especially niger-delta states, should just hope for the constituition amendment to make it 25% derivation...

The Northerners right now are confused, whether to support the new constituition and give their " peasants" mopre money then them, or remain in the 13% and watch their "infidels" still get more money than them

Then we silently improve our infrastructure( already happening in akwa ibom and rivers)

when 2015 comes, we all vote for referendum

it would be an Obj style aboki attack( take them by surprise)
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by rash47(m): 5:04am On Jul 22, 2012
There is nothing like one south, unlike one north, the concept of southern nigeria is notin but a geographical concept without a rallying ideology,d north has gotten islam in this regard. An average 'southern' politician is a double speak,greedy and are never united.
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by musiwa45: 5:14am On Jul 22, 2012
what nonsense south are you talking about. when they took over Akingbola bank, did they not remember Akingbola was a southerner.. When they took cecila Ibru bank, did he not remember she was southerner..

i forgot the universities licence they revoke..

This govt have committed that greatest wrong against southern. that 80% southerners hate them.. Do you know the number of southerner who lost their jobs. When do you separate people from business. Dont you know business are community service.

Why do you think the opposition control the south and not the PDP.. the PDP is a north dominated party.

there is nobody on this earth that can make southerner vote for Goodluck.. even if jesus christ tell them to do that, they will stone jesus to dead.. if this is your goal. they are feed up with this govt...

with the satellite pictures. look they better never bring their poster near the south.

is it to vote them back , so that injustice will continue.

Look it is not an issue of party.. look ACN or PDP will not pick a seat in next election if the issue of the satellite pictures is not resolve. Call Yoruba people bastard if any of the governor return if the satellite pictures is not resolve.

Dont they sit in the national executive council and they dont have computer at home. The yoruba will say Omo ale use his right hand to point to his father house.. Do you think Yoruba people are omo ale..

If the issue is not resolve, we would have another party which is not PDP or ACN inplace..
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by Nobody: 5:44am On Jul 22, 2012
Southern politicians are backstabbers,betrayers and connivers against the interest of southern zones;while the middle belt is a region which has been mortaged and sold for peanuts by MB leaders to the fulani/arewa oligachy.while the real MB voice is not heard rather it is the voice of MBelters like waku,usehi,tsav who pretend to rep the MB that gets heard,the various conflicting and divergent southern voices get heard.this gives the impression of a divided south and a united north.
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by StarrMatthieu: 6:04am On Jul 22, 2012
Well down
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by musiwa45: 6:11am On Jul 22, 2012
i started laughing when someone posted the name of some politician who are office holder and are coward thinking they can become president. it is not the number of project you complete.. even if you like build heaven... they cant win..

do you know any single governor who is close to been in the shoes of awolowo when it comes to speaking bold.. or the likes of K O Mbadiwe timber and calibre

some people should be wearing bra and stay at home with their wife. this battle is not manshe or shemen or she she man

what bra size is some of you wearing. is it dd or 40 dd

Let they say , Ko burn fi coward who dream he want to be president.

the president is for men and not for woman rapper.

in the word of Stacey Ejenobor, Oga hi no possible , me uhrobo girl i die fighting.
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by Nobody: 6:13am On Jul 22, 2012
I have writen in a few threads that MBelt and south states should enact legistlations to prohibit these cattle migrations.it is a shame that the south and MB,4 regions can be put on defensive by 2 regions,NE and NW.this bill is an insult to the south.southern and MB states should go ahead with laws to prohibit cattle migration within their states,if they set up ranches,tax them heavily to make the trade unprofitable,let southerners get used to life without beaf,the southerners are the major consumers/customers in this beaf business,so if there is anything like beaf politics being played out,southerners should have the upper hand.the northern reps definately think and move faster than the southern reps.so I believe our southern reps are lazy and incompetent.I believe the reason for that bill is to pre-empt the southern legistlators from sponsoring a bill to protect the interest of the south.southern,MB states houses of assembly should rise up to the occasion and tackle this cattle/fulani problem head on.cattle/fulani migration is being used as a decoy by fulanis/hausa/kanuri to station armed fighters in the middle belt and south;it is an expansionist agenda of the fulani and the only way to stop it for now is to make the cattle trade difficult and unprofitable.
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by musiwa45: 6:22am On Jul 22, 2012
it is a shame that any senator will support such a bill in this day and time.. When there are technology to make the life of the nomadic fulani better that they do not need to even travel.

I am against the bill.. That is not the solution to the problem. It is better to look for solution than support a useless bill.

The solution is that the state where they come from can find the right technology to solve the issue, but help them transport this cow etc.. it shows the level of stupidity nigeria have got to.
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by 175(m): 7:16am On Jul 22, 2012
@All, cant our various state goverments in d south enacts laws prohibiting d movement of cattle as in grazing within dia states? Abi dis our fake federalism wont allow dat? I de vex 4 fulani pple o.
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by Nobody: 7:34am On Jul 22, 2012
They're all thieves.

Well, apart from Fayemi of Ekiti state. He's trying to work as much as he can with the large debt left behind by previous govern[i]ole[/i]s. I'm just not liking his slow pace. sad

May God bless Ekiti state.
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by Nobody: 7:42am On Jul 22, 2012
175: @All, cant our various state goverments in d south enacts laws prohibiting d movement of cattle as in grazing within dia states? Abi dis our fake federalism wont allow dat? I de vex 4 fulani pple o.
the various southern state houses of assembly can enact laws prohibing cattle grazing but our reps are lazy,short sighted and incompetent.under normal circumstances,cows should be kept and restricted to farm houses/cattle ranch;feed and hay/grass can be brought into the farm for the cattle.but now we have a situation where these herdsmen set up illegal settlements/mud houses transit camps as they travel all the way from sokoto through plateau and benue to the southern states.with time they start claiming indigineship rights.
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by 175(m): 8:19am On Jul 22, 2012
chima12: the various southern state houses of assembly can enact laws prohibing cattle grazing but our reps are lazy,short sighted and incompetent.under normal circumstances,cows should be kept and restricted to farm houses/cattle ranch;feed and hay/grass can be brought into the farm for the cattle.but now we have a situation where these herdsmen set up illegal settlements/mud houses transit camps as they travel all the way from sokoto through plateau and benue to the southern states.with time they start claiming indigineship rights.

Lazy States' Houses of Assembly in d south rite? Then make we occupy dem all now! If Senator Dantong n Rep. Fulani had pressed 4 sumtim like dis, dey may prolly be alive till dis day. To d rest, act now or wen d flames starts, it might consume u. Intensive animal breeding remains d case. D godz!
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by rash47(m): 9:51am On Jul 22, 2012
@ musiwa

Mr man, what point are u trying to make, u just dey weave everything together, I tire 4 you ooo
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by sheyguy: 11:46am On Jul 22, 2012
''South South leaders'' the way the OP put it are divided, mostly for selfish reasons. The eastern leaders followed by their South-south counterparts are the most guilty of this offense. Infact the South-south leaders are a distant second to the Eastern leaders.
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by musiwa45: 12:13pm On Jul 22, 2012
my point is, the people who fail to support the people want support... who is going to support such ..

Look at what they has failed to do.. and you expect us to support such..

You want us to support such a person, so that they can continue injustice against our people.

[img]http://aderinola.files./2011/04/structure-2.jpg[/img]
Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by musiwa45: 12:38pm On Jul 22, 2012
Let me make you laugh,, Lawan farouk who use to harass them in the national assembly was hardly 5 foot tall.. does that not tell you, they were all coward.. have you heard of the term, heshe or iro and buba men before... they are coward..

if you take what belong to me. And i fold my hand and look and you now expect people to go and vote the same person as president , who was elected govenor or president who folded his hand when injustice was been done to people. Look they do not merit support my brother.

Re: Are Southern Leaders Incompetent Or Simply Afraid Of Their Northern Counterpart? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jul 22, 2012
@Musiwa, will you sto trolling and contribute meaningfully? angry

(1) (Reply)

Charles Soludo - Reconstructing Nigeria For Prosperity (1) / What Do You Understand By Dividends Of Democracy? / National Assembly Invokes Section 11.4 To Take Over Rivers State Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.