Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,723 members, 7,805,968 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars - Car Talk (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars (888058 Views)

What Is With Honda Cars And Their Tyres That Always Cave In. / Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (431) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by igbsam(m): 3:24pm On Jul 19, 2015
Hi guys, my Honda Accord does something that pisses me off.

First of all, it does this delay start. Whenever i try to turn on the engine, it wont do that, i will have to do it more than 2-4 times before it turns on.

Secondly, when it starts at times, the throttle will refuse to respond or rev. I will have to turn it off and then turn it on again, and when i try to rev it, it will respond or sometimes wont. I'll have to keep turning it on and off until it responds and then will move.

What could be the cause of this ? Mechanics are just saying all kinds of stuffs that i don't understand.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 5:26pm On Jul 19, 2015
Druss:

Where can I get a scanner from? What are good ones and are you in Lagos?

I need someone apart from Honda Place to take a good look at my car - It is a Civic 2009 model with minor to medium use since I purchased it in 2011.

Thats the link above for Konga. Jumia also has it.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Druss(m): 9:50pm On Jul 19, 2015
adanny01:

Thats the link above for Konga. Jumia also has it.

Thanks .. http://www./catalog/?q=car+diagnostic

Seen some on Jumia. Are you in Lagos?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 10:48pm On Jul 19, 2015
Druss:

Thanks .. http://www./catalog/?q=car+diagnostic

Seen some on Jumia. Are you in Lagos?

No, am not.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Druss(m): 10:55pm On Jul 19, 2015
adanny01:

No, am not.

Ok. Thanks - Do you know any Honda repair shop you could recommend in Lagos? I normally take it to Honda Place every 3 months but I am increasingly getting the perception that they are not doing proper maintenance.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 11:03pm On Jul 19, 2015
Druss:

Ok. Thanks - Do you know any Honda repair shop you could recommend in Lagos? I normally take it to Honda Place every 3 months but I am increasingly getting the perception that they are not doing proper maintenance.

Sorry, no.

A nairalander GAZZUZZ has a workshop in Lagos and am sure he would be a good one.
www.nairaland.com/2356445/remotely-follow-vehicle-repairs-online
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Druss(m): 11:12pm On Jul 19, 2015
adanny01:

Sorry, no.

A nairalander GAZZUZZ has a workshop in Lagos and am sure he would be a good one.
www.nairaland.com/2356445/remotely-follow-vehicle-repairs-online

Thanks. I have seen his posts as well. Appreciate the help and advice.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by appleshop: 3:35pm On Jul 21, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Oil is available online, konga but please don't buy milemaster. If you contact me I can arrange mobil1 5w20 or 5w30.

Why MileMaster specifically? Is there something wrong with this oil ?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by adanny01(m): 4:58pm On Jul 21, 2015
appleshop:

Why MileMaster specifically? Is there something wrong with this oil ?

I wonder too.

Mobil xhp, Total quartz 5000 etc are 20w50 and used by up to 90% of car owners in Nigeria. That is against specification for most North american cars which most times recimmend 5w20 and 5w30 with some. Milemaster is semi synthetic, falls within spec and should be better than the 20w50 commonly used.

Why is it bad then? Is it a fake product?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:43pm On Jul 21, 2015
igbsam:
Hi guys, my Honda Accord does something that pisses me off.

First of all, it does this delay start. Whenever i try to turn on the engine, it wont do that, i will have to do it more than 2-4 times before it turns on.

Secondly, when it starts at times, the throttle will refuse to respond or rev. I will have to turn it off and then turn it on again, and when i try to rev it, it will respond or sometimes wont. I'll have to keep turning it on and off until it responds and then will move.

What could be the cause of this ? Mechanics are just saying all kinds of stuffs that i don't understand.

Scan but seems like and engine ecm error.

Could also be a tps error.

For a fix 08023251039 lagos
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by igbsam(m): 7:21pm On Jul 21, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Scan but seems like and engine ecm error.

Could also be a tps error.

For a fix 08023251039 lagos

Okay. I just gave you a call. I'll come around for a check up. Hopefully I close early from d office tomorrow or it would be over the weekend
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jul 21, 2015
Hi guys

My Honda civic 2007 has had recurring problems with the adjuster (belt tensioner).

Many civic users have had this problem and I recently read an article online by Honda on how to fix it. It involves changing the adjuster, getting a longer belt and re-routing it a different way from the original way it was.

I have the Honda article with details on how to do it. I just need a very good mechanic to do a good job.

Any recommendations? Please I don't want road side mechanic that can't read o.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:48pm On Jul 24, 2015
teminoni:
Hi guys

My Honda civic 2007 has had recurring problems with the adjuster (belt tensioner).

Many civic users have had this problem and I recently read an article online by Honda on how to fix it. It involves changing the adjuster, getting a longer belt and re-routing it a different way from the original way it was.

I have the Honda article with details on how to do it. I just need a very good mechanic to do a good job.

smiley

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by sch(m): 7:32pm On Jul 24, 2015
Hello guyz, i washed my honda accord 2001(babyboy) at a car wash.. ever since then i have being having issues. The car might work smoothly and suddenly refuses to fire or accelerate /stalling. I have changed the plug.. Clean the distributor, and that didn't solve the problem. I really need help pls. Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by disloman(m): 7:36pm On Jul 24, 2015
teminoni:
Hi guys

Get an original adjuster n the belt.Ur problem solved.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by sch(m): 7:41pm On Jul 24, 2015
Hello guyz, i washed my honda accord 2001(babyboy) at a car wash.. ever since then i have being having issues. The car might work smoothly and suddenly refuses to fire or accelerate /stalling. I have changed the plug.. Clean the distributor, and that didn't solve the problem. I really need help pls.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:25pm On Jul 24, 2015
sch:
Hello guyz, i washed my honda accord 2001(babyboy) at a car wash.. ever since then i have being having issues. The car might work smoothly and suddenly refuses to fire or accelerate /stalling. I have changed the plug.. Clean the distributor, and that didn't solve the problem. I really need help pls.

There's waster in distributor, and crankshaft position sensor.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by Druss(m): 9:41pm On Jul 24, 2015
How much does a 2009 Civic Engine Mount cost?
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by sch(m): 12:02am On Jul 25, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

There's waster in distributor, and crankshaft position sensor.
please how do i get the water out can it get out by use. Your detail advice please. Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by patlead: 8:45am On Jul 25, 2015
Hello house,u guys are awesome.I am planning to purchase a Honda city 2007 model from a second owner.what r the major issues with the car.also,does any one know his much the engine and gear costs.

Its for a minimum of 5hour drive everyday,is the car that reliable
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by krystaball: 10:48am On Jul 25, 2015
Scan your vehicle - 07011822425
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by showreals(m): 4:19pm On Jul 25, 2015
Please help I need to confirm something about my 2009 accord.

First noticed at intervals of like 2 weeks it would refuse to rev beyond 3rpm sometimes as low as 2. Then I discovered if i Park put off the engine and put it back on it would go back to normal for some minutes. I also noticed this usually happen when I travel for example to kaduna from Abuja on my way back.

At a point I was told it's the 'raising sensor' it was removed cleaned cos it was very dirty and everything seemed normal for some time.

Some weeks later the same issue happened I was told it is the gear sensor it was checked and put back. Well the issue came knocking again and this time my mechanic took it and changed all the plugs said they are the culprit I have never changed the plug since I bought it and I am told that the plug that came with it is from factory. I bought a change of plugs 10k as he said.

Now I travelled on Thursday and same thing started happening on the highway on my way back. I managed to Abuja. The car was taken for a scan and I was told it's raising sensor again but this time some bearing etc were bad and had to be changed i was billed 10k5. As I was driving around yesterday I noticed the vsa and warning light on my dashboard came on. So far I have not had any incident but I also am not sure this is the end of it.

Yesterday when I started the car in the morning the fuel gauge went dead as if I have not even started the engine and the fuel symbol light was flashing.

The car is 48k true miles. Please help I dint want to be stopped in the middle of nowhere when next I travel.

Also I usually do 150/160kmph when I travel am I pushing the car too hard? Is the car not built for such just confused

Please quote me and reply so I can provide any info needed. Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:40pm On Jul 25, 2015
showreals:

First noticed at intervals of like 2 weeks it would refuse to rev beyond 3rpm sometimes as low as 2. Then I discovered if i Park put off the engine and put it back on it would go back to normal for some minutes. I also noticed this usually happen when I travel for example to kaduna from Abuja on my way back.

At a point I was told it's the 'raising sensor' it was removed cleaned cos it was very dirty and everything seemed normal for some time.

Some weeks later the same issue happened I was told it is the gear sensor it was checked and put back. Well the issue came knocking again and this time my mechanic took it and changed all the plugs said they are the culprit I have never changed the plug since I bought it and I am told that the plug that came with it is from factory. I bought a change of plugs 10k as he said.

Now I travelled on Thursday and same thing started happening on the highway on my way back. I managed to Abuja. The car was taken for a scan and I was told it's raising sensor again but this time some bearing etc were bad and had to be changed i was billed 10k5. As I was driving around yesterday I noticed the vsa and warning light on my dashboard came on. So far I have not had any incident but I also am not sure this is the end of it.

Yesterday when I started the car in the morning the fuel gauge went dead as if I have not even started the engine and the fuel symbol light was flashing.

The car is 48k true miles. Please help I dint want to be stopped in the middle of nowhere when next I travel.

Also I usually do 150/160kmph when I travel am I pushing the car too hard? Is the car not built for such just confused

There's nothing like a raising sensor(abi nah air suspension? grin)

Seems you are in lagos, give me a call 08023251039
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by nas00(m): 12:00am On Jul 26, 2015
showreals:

Your 'mechanics' are just guessing. They will mess up your car if you think they know what they are doing.

From the symptoms you've described, I think the problem your car had originally is a dirty THROTTLE BODY. All you need do is to have a sensible mechanic remove the throttle body and clean. Then fit back and do a re-learn procedure. That should solve it.
*Also try to change your engine air filter at the same time. It is most likely dirty, and this must have contributed to the dirty throttle body.

However, with your fuel gauge not working presently, hope they've not blown a fuse or two. Have an electrician check your fuses.

I have a feeling what you were calling 'raising sensor' is your throttle position sensor, which is different from the throttle body.

Cheers!
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by showreals(m): 8:43am On Jul 26, 2015
nas00:

Your 'mechanics' are just guessing. They will mess up your car if you think they know what they are doing.

From the symptoms you've described, I think the problem your car had originally is a dirty THROTTLE BODY. All you need do is to have a sensible mechanic remove the throttle body and clean. Then fit back and do a re-learn procedure. That should solve it.
*Also try to change your engine air filter at the same time. It is most likely dirty, and this must have contributed to the dirty throttle body.

However, with your fuel gauge not working presently, hope they've not blown a fuse or two. Have an electrician check your fuses.

I have a feeling what you were calling 'raising sensor' is your throttle position sensor, which is different from the throttle body.

Cheers!

Thanks boss. Na so them tell me o, raising sensor lol. Guess it's what you called it. The fuel things has stopped for now.
I will do what you advised and feedback.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by showreals(m): 8:46am On Jul 26, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

There's nothing like a raising sensor(abi nah air suspension? grin)

Seems you are in lagos, give me a call 08023251039

Will call after church sir. Thanks
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 5:30pm On Jul 26, 2015
showreals:

Thanks boss. Na so them tell me o, raising sensor lol. Guess it's what you called it. The fuel things has stopped for now.
I will do what you advised and feedback.
This is what a raising switch for 2009 accord, 4 cylinder engine looks like. It's actually Rocker arm actuator sensor, but my people call it raising switch cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by TheRealGEJ: 7:10pm On Jul 26, 2015
I just got Honda Accord 2005 with V6 engine, double exhaust. What is the does and don't to make it last long. Also which engine oil is the best and also transmission fluid. I love this ride and would want it to last for me. Also there's engine needs service light showing on the dashboard. But my cousin said, it doesn't matter as because he uses 2003 Honda Accord. Is it true that the warning sign there doesn't matter?

Please I need your response... Pro in the house @ Gazzuzz @ adanny01 @ nas00 @ luvinhubby
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by luvinhubby(m): 7:14pm On Jul 26, 2015
TheRealGEJ:
I just got Honda Accord 2005 with V6 engine, double exhaust. What is the does and don't to make it last long. Also which engine oil is the best and also transmission fluid. I love this ride and would want it to last for me. Also there's engine needs service light showing on the dashboard. But my cousin said, it doesn't matter as because he uses 2003 Honda Accord. Is it true that the warning sign there doesn't matter?

Please I need your response... Pro in the house @ Gazzuzz @ adanny01 @ nas00 @ luvinhubby
Engine oil - 5W-20.
Transmission oil - ATF DW-1
If it's a check engine light, a scan will do you & your car a lot of good.

2 Likes

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by TheRealGEJ: 7:51pm On Jul 26, 2015
luvinhubby:

Engine oil - 5W-20.
Transmission oil - ATF DW-1
If it's a check engine light, a scan will do you & your car a lot of good.

Thanks for your prompt response. I will do the scan and get back to the house. Once again thanks

1 Like

Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by nas00(m): 8:41pm On Jul 26, 2015
TheRealGEJ:

Brotherly smiley

Congrats on your new machine.

I hope you will have the patience to read through. Below are some of my previous responses on maintenance tips on this thread, pasted here, as you might find the information useful:

" Don't be scared by the different honda issues we discuss here. That is part of the reason for the existence of this thread in the first place.

Whichever brand of car you buy, the major factor that determines if such vehicles would be problematic or not is your maintenance habit (assuming you bought a car in perfect condition from the word go). Good routine car maintenance dramatically keeps your car fit for years, that sometimes you will even wonder why your car has not given you problems when others are complaining about theirs. 

You must have observed Nigerians like saying they want to buy 'rugged' cars. With time, I have come to understand that by 'rugged', most people mean cars that: 

- They can keep using for 6 months or more without having to SPEND MONEY to service

- Cars they can drive anyhow without expecting something to spoil (e.g. Speeding through potholes, turning steering to the end for front wheel drives)

- Cars with 'submarine function' that they can drive through heavy flood, yet expect the car to work fine the next day.

- Cars with chassis so strong/ heavy that you can bash and scratch the body every now and then, with minimal impact showing on the body (why must you bash in the first place?)

- In summary, cars they can use to the maximum possible limits with the minimum possible efforts to keep the car in good condition (which involves spending). 

The bottom line is that if you don't mind spending the little amounts for routine maintenance regularly, HONDA brand has one of the most efficient, reliable and rugged engine technology with aesthetic features that are not bad, for relatively affordable prices. 

If well maintained, also has great second-hand resale value...and they are easy to maintain, with parts readily available if need be.

Cars, like humans, need to maintain their health..and there are ways your car communicates with you when a potential problem is beginning to crop up. We must all learn to listen to our cars.

Some other potential problems can be averted by your early observation, by paying attention to your car.

Don't be scared to buy one. However, buy a good one (preferably clean title toks or brand new). You will come back for thanksgiving"

Regarding availability of spare parts, honda accord parts are readily available at Oyingbo spare parts market in Lagos. That market is almost exclusively for honda parts. Just name it.

Maintenance depends on the quality of car you buy ab-initio. So, assuming you buy a clean title car with good engine, the only thing you should be doing is routine maintenance:

- Changing engine oil and filter at regular intervals. Specified in owner's manual.
- Changing spark plugs at regular intervals (Honda specifies this in the owner's manual). Use recommended izfr6k-11 iridium spark plugs for better performance and longer plug life.
- Let the car idle for at least 5 mins every morning before you drive it out. It prevents engine wear, thereby prolonging engine life.
- Change tires when moderately worn. 
- Avoid turning your steering completely to the last stop when making U-turns or sharp turns. This is your best bet to avoiding potentially embarrassing ball joint/ arm problems in future
- Avoid running into potholes as much as possible. You are better off slowly driving through potholes or irregular 
- Do not fill your radiator with water. Use radiator coolant and do not dilute (most are already pre-diluted).
- Empty radiator coolant and change with fresh one every 2 years
- You must check your car fluids every morning before moving the car. At worst, every other day. These include your brake fluid, power steering fluid, engine oil level, radiator coolant level, clutch fluid (if manual transmission). You may need to top off once in a long while, but you never can tell if you don't check.
- Check transmission fluid (gear oil) once a while, say every 3-6 months...OR at every engine oil change. You may not need to replace this for years, but it's good practice. It helps you to know when to drain and refill, judging from fluid level, color, smell or consistency.
- Brake pads to be replaced at regular intervals, after noting the average duration it takes your brake pads to wear out (depends on how much you use the car and driving habits)

If you follow these tips, you'll be really glad you did.

I hail.
Re: Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars by TheRealGEJ: 9:31pm On Jul 26, 2015
nas00:

Brotherly smiley

Congrats on your new machine.

I hope you will have the patience to read through. Below are some of my previous responses on maintenance tips on this thread, pasted here, as you might find the information useful:

I hail.

Thanks bro. This is really helpful.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (431) (Reply)

Maintenance Tips On Cars. / Mercedes Benz Thread / Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: GreekDon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.