Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:53 AM

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS (15578 Views)

Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - Season 2 - You Are Cordially Invited! / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day ! / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by newacca: 9:46pm On Jul 22, 2012
favour. From your point,"IBB's regime is an example of how an individual character can influence the phenomenon that affects the society" Tell me who are the godfathers of IBB? He lacked moral value and he was greedily and selfish. He was not transparent,not because any godfather was pulling strings in his waist but because he has cunning character as an individual. You do not have an alternative than to accept this fact.

You have shot yourself on the leg to argue that the names I cited made decision to favour the northerner at the expense of the southerner,because your argument buttress my point that Ethnicity is one of the major corruption. Meanwhile,I expect you to give me a nottable examples of the godfathers of the cited names. It is high time you join my school of thought and look beyond godfatherism as a major cause of corruption in Nigeria
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by fagamite: 9:50pm On Jul 22, 2012
Cuddlemii: Judges, I think we should take 20mins off to investigate the debater, Shymmex. If he is found guilty, then he should be disqualified!
We are big on originality, transparency & integrity
Thank you!

Originality: Shymmex [/b]is the original Isaac Olawale. He is Isaac olalwale, but Isaac olawale may not be Shymmex. It is complicated. grin
Transparency: [b]Shymmex
got caught because of his transparency. if he wasnt transparent, he would have ran the article through www.paperrater.com before posting them as his. Regardless, we need to give him a round of applause for his transparency. If only our Godfathers were as transparent . . . grin
Integrity: Often defined as the state of being whole, entire, or undiminished. Shymmex has integrity because the whole article was copied undiminished, in its entirety. grin

Now, since I have been able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Shymmex has the aforementioned qualities, I hereby move a motion to appoint Shymmex as debater emeritus, for his integrity, transparency, integrity and un-yeiding zeal to impress many an ungrateful Nairalander.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jul 22, 2012
newacca: Alhaji Ahmadu Bello, the late Sultan of Sokoto, was the political godfather of a lot of young northerners. Understanding the role of politics as well as the military in an evolving country, he placed his godchildren in both institutions. The rewards to northern Nigeria are today self-evident. Chief Obafemi Awolowo was godfather to a large number of today’s Yoruba intelligentsia that have applied and continue to apply his teachings to the benefit of their region. In both instances, the godfathers put the interests of their people before personal gain.
Chief Obafemi Awolowo was godfather to a large number of today's political figures and his view were shared among this inteligentsia,and they have applied and continue to apply is teaching to benefit their society. Alhaji Ahmadu Bello was political godfather to lot of young northerners during his days. He placed his godchildren in both military and politics institutions,and the rewards to northern Nigeria today are from his support. In the examples provided here,godfatherism is seen as a positive practice that benefits the godchildren and the larger society.

Both Ahmadu Bello and Obafemi Awolowo never had godfathers - and can you compare their achievements to those of their godsons?

These were selfless people who put the interests of their people over their interests because they had no one to answer to. They were their own men and ruled based on their personal outlook to life without having to serve anyone's interests, except the people who gave them the mandate.

The culture that encourages people to spend huge amount of money on irrelevant parties from Burial ceremony to Remembrance of the dead,which will eventually dig big hole in their pocket. The culture that gives chance to bribery by paving way for gift giving as normal expressions of loyalty or tributes to traditional rulers may be fabrics of the society. The society where wealthy people are placed high.even where and how the wealth is accumulated is no of consequence. You must be joking to argue that our culture is not rooted in corruption.

The bolded part has nothing to do with our culture but more to do with our system of government. We practice a flawed form of capitalism which celebrates; wealth, class, and elitism. Our culture isn't rooted in corruption but the celebration of hardwork and achievements. We come from a culture where hard work, achievements, and high morals are celebrated. The tentacles of corruption in which we find ourselves in today has absolutely nothing to do with our culture but our flawed system of extreme capitalism. Alluding corruption with our culture isn't just disingenious but also moronic.

Do you realize that gen.Obasanjo lost his vote in the SW,because his kinsmen doubted if he would be able to practice favouritsm when he eventually got elected. They drew their conclusion base on the fact that he was against the Yorubas' quest of revalidate the election won by Chief MKO Abiola in 1993. In my view,Obasanjo could have been pulled down by his kinsmen on the fact that he was not transparent during his military regime,not because they doubt is capability to deliver favours towards them.

OBJ lost in the SW because his kinsmen knew he was serving the interests of his godfathers in the Northern oligarchy. t And Yoruba people were able to re-validate the election won by Chief MKO Abiola in 1993 by presenting the two candidates who contested for the 1999 election - in a country of more than 250 ethnic groups.

Your arguments are redundant, mate. You keep the same moronic arguments.

You must the cracking an expensive joke when you tell the masses you claimed to be representing that lack of accountabilty and transparency was caused by godfatherism. Who are the godfather's of James Ibori? Was he able to give account of the funds he mismanaged,siphoned and embezzled?
I firmly argue that the problem lies with our moral values,that consequently lead to other following symptom called godfatherism.

IBB is James Ibori's godfather.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by fagamite: 9:52pm On Jul 22, 2012
^^^

Hey, Is Pareto mentioned anywhere in that rebuttal?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Cuddlemii: 9:52pm On Jul 22, 2012
Debaters, time is up! Scores are being collated now, but if you wish to continue arguing, you must understand that any argument outside this time would not count but would be allowed, the audience can learn too!

Wonderful arguments by the way! Thanks!

Judges please submit scores.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by fagamite: 9:53pm On Jul 22, 2012
Cuddlemii: Judges, I think we should take 20mins off to investigate the debater, Shymmex. If he is found guilty, then he should be disqualified!
We are big on originality, transparency & integrity
Thank you!

Originality: Shymmex [/b]is the original Isaac Olawale. He is Isaac olalwale, but Isaac olawale may not be Shymmex. It is complicated. grin
Transparency: [b]Shymmex
got caught because of his transparency. if he wasnt transparent, he would have ran the article through www.paperrater.com before posting them as his. Regardless, we need to give him a round of applause for his transparency. If only our Godfathers were as transparent . . . grin
Integrity: Often defined as the state of being whole, entire, or undiminished. Shymmex has integrity because the whole article was copied undiminished, in its entirety. grin

Now, since I have been able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Shymmex has the aforementioned qualities, I hereby move a motion to appoint Shymmex as debater emeritus, for his integrity, transparency, integrity and un-yeiding zeal to impress many an ungrateful Nairalander.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by cheddarking(m): 9:53pm On Jul 22, 2012
fagamite: ^^^

Hey, Is Pareto mentioned anywhere in that rebuttal?

grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jul 22, 2012
Chairman,

Please find my scoring in your inbox.

Regards,
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by fagamite: 9:56pm On Jul 22, 2012
shymmex:

WTF are you on about?

[b]I cited Pareto, Mosca, Michels, and Marx's assertions at the beginning of my scholarshi[/b]p, and I didn't even get marks for the citation..

rofl. You cited Pareto? I like this guy already. No shame, no remorse, nada. Pure straight face.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by coogar: 9:58pm On Jul 22, 2012
Jarus: Chairman,

Please find my scoring in your inbox.

Regards,

no statement about shymmex's bold-faced plagiarism? is he guilty or not after deliberation?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jul 22, 2012
newacca: favour. From your point,"IBB's regime is an example of how an individual character can influence the phenomenon that affects the society" Tell me who are the godfathers of IBB? He lacked moral value and he was greedily and selfish. He was not transparent,not because any godfather was pulling strings in his waist but because he has cunning character as an individual. You do not have an alternative than to accept this fact.

It's no secret that IBB served the Northern oligarchy throughout his tenure as the president. Sultan of Sokoto was the almighty hand pulling the strings throughout his regime, and most of the few projects he completed during his tenure only served Northern interests.

- FCT was moved to the North.
- Most of the dual carriage roads were built in the North.
- Most of the oil blocks were awarded to Northerners..
- Nigeria became a member of OIC (Organisation of Islamic countries).

I can go on and on, mate.

You have shot yourself on the leg to argue that the names I cited made decision to favour the northerner at the expense of the southerner,because your argument buttress my point that Ethnicity is one of the major corruption. Meanwhile,I expect you to give me a nottable examples of the godfathers of the cited names. It is high time you join my school of thought and look beyond godfatherism as a major cause of corruption in Nigeria

Ethnicity has nothing to do with it because he never served the interests of THE NORTHERN MASSES - he only served the interests of the Northern oligarchy/clientele, who were the godfathers.

Can you see the difference?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Roland17(m): 9:58pm On Jul 22, 2012
I just sent in my scores
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by OAM4J: 10:00pm On Jul 22, 2012
coogar:

no statement about shymmex's bold-faced plagiarism? is he guilty or not after deliberation?

Relax, the chairman will make a pronouncement on it shortly.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by newacca: 10:00pm On Jul 22, 2012
If Fashola agreed to dance to the tune of Fashola why did Fashola sanitized the street of Lagos making in a hell for Political hoodlums and miscreant that were on the payroll of Lagos state govt. during Tinubu's days in Office? Whyd Fashola sent most of them packing and refused to pay lump sum for their foreign trips?
I need to be convinced that Tinubu and his allies are the direct beneficial of Lekki toll gate revenue.

Could you please pin point the godfather's of Obasanjo himself? I will rather say Obasanjo is godfather himself.

It seems you fail to realize the fact that if we want to sanitize our system of government,it begins from ourselves. It begins from inculcating discipline and high standard of moral value to the mind of our people,right from the childhood days. We need to change our society to transform our government.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Nobody: 10:00pm On Jul 22, 2012
fvcking hell!

You guys are haters on steroids.. grin

Yesterday's debate was an impromptu one, I composed my argument in less than 20mins, you guys need to give me a break.

Judge me based on today, and what I'm posting now.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by fagamite: 10:01pm On Jul 22, 2012
coogar:

WHat? So there is some doubt in your mind that this guy is not God's gift to NL? AM I dreaming?
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jul 22, 2012
coogar:

Kindly tell us who the driver of this vehicle is....

Obasanjo did not allow Godfatherism, Obasanjo is a Godfather himself and he was put in power by Godfathers. This was a man who even lost his street in Ota and most South Western states refused to vote for. Yet, he was put in power by the so-called Godfathers and each and everyone of the Godfathers got rich under OBJ. Many of them were untouchable. Even the comical Oputa Panel was a smokescreen. Nobody was convicted, no one was punished of any wrong doing because majority of the alleged criminals are.....(fill in the gap)

The nation is hungry. People need to be empowered to say no to corruption. Failing that, you are pissing in the wind.
Nigerian Police is the most ill-funded organization in the world - what do you expect from a man with 4 wives and a dozen children feeding on N20,000 per month?

"The world better beware, they pose a bigger threat because Nigeria has the world's largest population of English-speaking, literate, intelligent but desperate and twisted people who have had a formal tertiary education".....anonymous 2005!

What people want is empowerment like the developed countries where every citizen above 16 has a shelter, a job and can afford the basic needs of life. A country that cannot provide that for majority of her citizens tread dangerously to a bottomless pit.

Everyone does want empowerment. . .
but it is agreeable that empowerment will not come from poor goverance, and every reasonable person knows this.

Mahatma Gandhi quoted: I will not anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.
So the present circumstance should not blind people from seeing and being able to clearly identify what the major causes of the problem( the Means) are and what the peripheral causes like Godfatherism are.

We can never have the empowerment we desire until we look beyond Godfatherism and get rid of dishonest, shady and fruadulent GOVERANCE, POLITICAL PARTY STRUCTURES, POLICING system.

These are the drivers of the vehichle. The major enemies to the PEOPLE.
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jul 22, 2012
I'm out, yo..

Godfatherism on NL.. grin
Re: Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - FINALS by ODB1: 10:03pm On Jul 22, 2012
When has democracy ever succeeded in providing the right candidate?

NEVER!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerian Author Highlights Gay Characters In New Novel / Ade's Chronicle: A Tale / Ola Rotimi's 79th Posthumous Birthday Is Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.