Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,141 members, 7,807,458 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:48 PM

Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 (6000 Views)

17 Things That Are Too Real For Iphone Users In Nigeria / How To Shrink And Convert A Video With Vlc Player / Apple To Release Cheap Iphone 6C Handset By Mid-2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by mukina2: 2:00pm On Jul 23, 2012
TAIPEI/HONG KONG: Apple's new iPhone will drop the wide dock connector used in the company's gadgets for the best part of a decade in favor of a smaller one, a change likely to annoy the Apple faithful but which could be a boon for accessory makers.

The iPhone 5, Apple's next generation iPhone expected to go on sale around October, will come with a 19-pin connector port at the bottom instead of the proprietary 30-pin port "to make room for the earphone moving to the bottom", two sources familiar with the matter told Reuters.

That would mean the new phone would not connect with the myriad of accessories such as speakers and power chargers that form part of the ecosystem around iPods, iPads and iPhones, without an adaptor.

That means new business, analysts say.

"It represents an opportunity for accessory vendors," said Pete Cunningham, London-based analyst at technology research firm Canalys. "The iPhone connector has been a standard for a long time now and I would expect the same to be true for a new connector, should Apple change it as expected."

Apple did not immediately reply to an emailed request for comment.

Tech blogs have long speculated on the demise of the 30-pin connector, which at 21 mm wide takes up a chunk of space, especially as the latest technologies such as microUSB offer more power in less space.

They say that a smaller connector would give Apple more scope for new product designs or a bigger battery, or simply to make ever smaller products.

Switzerland's Logitech, one of the biggest makers of Apple speakers, declined to comment.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/news/telecom/Apple-to-shrink-connector-for-iPhone-5/articleshow/15104462.cms

1 Like

Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 23, 2012
Who cares ?
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by Kolade9(m): 8:27pm On Jul 23, 2012
Billyonaire: Who cares ?
i careS grin

2 Likes

Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jul 23, 2012
Kolade9: i careS grin

I don't careS.
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by Kolade9(m): 8:36pm On Jul 23, 2012
TroGunn:

I don'ts.
u mustS
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by tonyx4x44(m): 8:40pm On Jul 23, 2012
Billyonaire: Who cares ?
as long as it charges
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by ajos(m): 8:43pm On Jul 23, 2012
Photos pls poster...?
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by Abrantie: 8:45pm On Jul 23, 2012
Who gives a sh!!t about Apple? While Samsung is coming up with Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, microSD up to 64 GB,Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A9 CPU and a gazillion true innovations, crAPPLE is shrinking connectors a la 1995.

How did this post end up on the front page any way?
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by DrDre1(m): 9:09pm On Jul 23, 2012
Abrantie: Who gives a sh!!t about Apple? While Samsung is coming up with Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, microSD up to 64 GB,Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A9 CPU and a gazillion true innovations, crAPPLE is shrinking connectors a la 1995.

How did this post end up on the front page any way?

Probably to cool the nerves of some Apple fans who clicked an Apple labelled link on the front page earlier only to find themselves in a Windows 8 thread grin cheesy grin

@ Muki. Well done grin
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by lukkie(m): 9:11pm On Jul 23, 2012
Why get an Apple when i can get a Lumia?

1 Like

Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by Scarpon(m): 9:12pm On Jul 23, 2012
Samsung galaxy all the way
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by lakeside2: 9:16pm On Jul 23, 2012
Plz am aving problem wit my iphone 4x,i dnt knw how to go abt d sim
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by druid06(m): 9:19pm On Jul 23, 2012
Once you've used an Apple product, you can never go back. iCare.

2 Likes

Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by searchcorp(m): 9:42pm On Jul 23, 2012
druid06: Once you've used an Apple product, you can never go back. iCare.

iOver care.... The only product I ever used that never gave me a problem - apple... No wonder eve ate some in the garden, or cant u see it in the apple logo cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by Fruittyswaqboii(m): 9:48pm On Jul 23, 2012
Don't hate an apple product not until you use one but rather, until you know how to use one cool

3 Likes

Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by supoade: 10:04pm On Jul 23, 2012
Once you've used an Apple product, you can never go back. iCare.
thanks for telling me. dats why i dont want to use!
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by chucky234(m): 10:54pm On Jul 23, 2012
Bought iphone 4s in April and was forced to sell it out,then replaced it with HTC Evo 4G which turned out amazing. Sold the Evo and bought HTC One X,that phone crippled all iphones made by Apple,the only phone that come close the Galaxy S3 which I used for two weeks before selling. Apple iphones are overrated,prove me wrong if you disagree oooo
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by chucky234(m): 10:57pm On Jul 23, 2012
Those Chinese guys are running out of ideas I guess,Apple in trouble
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jul 23, 2012
Apple sef...all these modifications on iphone 5...is it that you guys forgot to do this on Iphone 4 or what,o ka a na ere afia!
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by idowuswap: 11:15pm On Jul 23, 2012
Hey na yoruba all tribe tey dey sing now hey thank jah....kai we are great in nation......
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by Ronaldo200(m): 2:10am On Jul 24, 2012
lukkie: Why get an Apple when i can get a Lumia?

You had better sell that Lumia quick. Nokia has announced already that the current Lumia will NOT be upgraded to the new Windows 8 operating system next year. It will therefore, effectively, be a defunct product stuck in the past.
I
That's why I love Apple and can't go back. Whenever they upgrade their OS they always do it retro-actively for the last three devices. I have been able to hand my 3GS down to my juniors and it is still up-to-date for them
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by omodapson(m): 2:58am On Jul 24, 2012
druid06: Once you've used an Apple product, you can never go back. iCare.

Speak for yourself. I have used an apple product once and never got thrilled. What's in apple when I can get other awesome/better products?
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by Nobody: 3:57am On Jul 24, 2012
^^^ Right? Apart from my iPod, I don't use anything Apple. I was excited about the iPhone 5 but I don't like the idea of a new connector.

I wish Apple would either switch to Micro USB or stick with their current connector. People have spent hundreds of dollars on car chargers, docks, etc. I hope they're smart enough to start selling converters. I wonder how many Apple users will repurchase docks and chargers for this new iPhone.
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by Tinyemeka(m): 4:12am On Jul 24, 2012
Apples shrinking in size? Damn this global warming business! And I warned those farmers not to dabble with GM foods. angry
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by Cyberconnect12: 6:38am On Jul 24, 2012
TroGunn:

I don't careS.
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by KINGwax(m): 6:52am On Jul 24, 2012
lakeside2: Plz am aving problem wit my iphone 4x,i dnt knw how to go abt d sim
eat it
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by KINGwax(m): 6:54am On Jul 24, 2012
idowuswap: Hey na yoruba all tribe tey dey sing now hey thank jah....kai we are great in nation......
hello? You okay?
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by Nobody: 7:54am On Jul 24, 2012
Useless thread.
@poster, I don't think ur gainfully employed, better look for job to keep u busy.
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by emsquare(m): 8:14am On Jul 24, 2012
Waiting for it to drop!
Re: Apple To Shrink Connector For Iphone 5 by StarrMatthieu: 8:30am On Jul 24, 2012
bump

(1) (2) (Reply)

Infinix Hot 2 Over Heating Problem / GLO Wins Telecoms Operator Of The Year Award / 5k For Anyone That Do This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.